Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112023 times)

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13230 on: May 11, 2011, 08:24:41 am »

I made the mistake of accidentally hitting 'Play Now' during embark, so seven peasants and all those useful quivers, crutches and splints. Decided to look around the site anyway as it was nice spot with flux, shallow metals, deep metals and a waterfall. Notice that the first layer is just chert, and a poor giant platypus getting killed by the waterfall while alligators watch on. Then I notice magnetite on the cliff face. Nice. Then more magnetite on different levels and on the hill side. In all I can see six clusters of the stuff at the surface. Motherlode. Get to work peasants.

It's been a little over a year now. I have my population capped at 10, so after the first two migrant waves I've got a nice little 19 dwarf outpost. I've also got the Fortress Defense mod loaded so I've had a couple of dark strangler seiges. The first came in winter which I really didn't expect and caused some embarrassing injuries but my injured dwarves, obviously driven by magnetite madness, simply hardened up and left their hospital beds. The second met thirty iron upright spear traps and the survivors rode their polar bears off the map.

Disquiet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13231 on: May 11, 2011, 10:52:19 am »

Things were going well in my budding fort of 45 dwarves until I decided to drain a murky pool down 7 layers to create a well for my planned medical area. I have no idea how this happened but somehow my idiot thresher dwarf decided it would be a good idea to jump down a 7zlevel chasm. he has no mining labors and theres absolutely nothing to collect, so I have no idea what he was doing there, but he probably got swept down since he splattered blood everywhere before there was water to break his fall and then promptly drowned. my best weaponsmith also decided it would be a good idea to try and retrieve the precious socks and so managed to drown aswell. I had to deconstruct the well resevoir to get the dead dwarves out of my now contaminated well water, which then had to be drained. So now I cannot complete my well until the next rains come.

Its a reminder that fun is always lurking around the corner, even in the most seemingly harmless tasks. Had I been draining a river instead of murky pooln what was an annoying inconvienience could have turned into a catastrophe.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13232 on: May 11, 2011, 11:03:31 am »

I recently started (and abandoned) a fort. I had perfectly set up a massive cistern with enough water to satisfy even a full fortress, much less the eleven dwarves I had... then the well refused to work. Goddamn it.

I guess that's what I get for designating a fish dissector as the architect.

I also discovered that my dwarves have absolutely no sense of priority; they refuse to dig out the space for workshops, instead insisting on digging out other stuff first. Then complaining that no workshops are built.

Then a massive - and I mean, like, everybody in my fort save my highly antisocial jeweller - party got thrown and all work ground to a halt.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13233 on: May 11, 2011, 11:23:17 am »

You can stop a party by freeing the room it at. Re-assigning the room doesn't restart the party. I normally let them party unless something really needs doing though.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13234 on: May 11, 2011, 12:01:21 pm »

I'm thinking about creating a military composed entirely of marksdwarves and <<+*Copper Crossbow*+>> loaded with <<+=Silver=+>> Bolts.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13235 on: May 11, 2011, 12:22:21 pm »

So I just embarked at a place with two streams (well, I think they're branches of the same stream, there's a fork a ways south, but eh). I checked the units list.

There's a herd of capybaras, an alligator, aaaaaaand about two or three pages of carp, sturgeons, and longnose gar.

If they don't all wander off the map and never come back as they usually do, I may yet be able to construct a war-carp pit.

Which will be glorious.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13236 on: May 11, 2011, 12:31:17 pm »

So I just embarked at a place with two streams (well, I think they're branches of the same stream, there's a fork a ways south, but eh). I checked the units list.

There's a herd of capybaras, an alligator, aaaaaaand about two or three pages of carp, sturgeons, and longnose gar.

If they don't all wander off the map and never come back as they usually do, I may yet be able to construct a war-carp pit.

Which will be glorious.
WIN.

Make a water pit full of carp under the trading depot so you can dump elves in there if they offer you 27 crates of rope reed socks.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13237 on: May 11, 2011, 12:40:12 pm »

Which will be glorious.
WIN.

Make a water pit full of carp under the trading depot so you can dump elves in there if they offer you 27 crates of rope reed socks.

That does seem like a better idea than using it to execute goblins, because 1) goblins will be killed in the traps anyway 2) goblins have stuff I actually WANT (and if the elves happen to bring some booze or a cool animal, I can usually buy it anyway) 3) fuck elves.

Carp don't breed, though, which sucks. Hmm...I'll need some help with that.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13238 on: May 11, 2011, 02:42:43 pm »

:'( my cotton candy got eaten by a artifact 452 pieces of raw cotton candy eaten into a MUG of all things. stupid burrows 27 million dwarf bucks all that work for candy armor poof gone.

Post it. A 27 million dwarfbuck mug is still very awesome.

This is an adamantine mug. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the mug is an inscription in adamantine. The inscription reads "I was possessed and all I got was this lousy mug"

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13239 on: May 11, 2011, 04:01:37 pm »

One of my legendary lashers just named his silver whip. And for once, I was pleasantly surprised.

It is Ramadril Stingbol Kalan, aka Prisonweaver the Barbarian of Trails.

I foresee a grand future for this weapon, and its wielder.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13240 on: May 11, 2011, 04:15:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: The battle was eventually won, though not without great loss. Nishtun is currently unconscious in the main walkway where he fell, and thirsty. I don't know if the medical dwarves will be able to reach him in time.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:18:08 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

ZZmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13241 on: May 11, 2011, 05:16:20 pm »

The ChurchWhirls Marble Mug encrusted with 452 pieces of raw cotton candy

:P
Also rigged my trade depot up out of graphite the can you say slow roasted elves?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 05:37:54 pm by ZZmage »
DK advisor quote was the message thingy of DF with: "Uric Glodson does a wonderful impression of the baron, he can even do the nose. He has been sentenced to 40 hammerstrikes for his insolence."

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13242 on: May 11, 2011, 05:50:22 pm »

Over 2000 pieces of electrum, and my smelters are still making the stuff - out of nothing more than galena and native gold...

And I have nothing better to do with it than use it for mugs and floodgates right now. Any ideas as to what the remaining 3000 or so should go to?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13243 on: May 11, 2011, 05:53:12 pm »

Hadn't played in six months...fort went well untill I clasically flooded it completely...
Draining operations took so long I was almost finished when the first goblins arrived and killed all.
Sounds about right for a first game *facepalm*
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13244 on: May 11, 2011, 06:56:06 pm »

Over 2000 pieces of electrum, and my smelters are still making the stuff - out of nothing more than galena and native gold...

And I have nothing better to do with it than use it for mugs and floodgates right now. Any ideas as to what the remaining 3000 or so should go to?
Walls and roads, both in the fortress and out. Use it as a alternative to stone.

Then weep as the marble begins to pile up.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 3842