Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 880 881 [882] 883 884 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111626 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13215 on: May 10, 2011, 04:09:50 pm »

the strength of Keywilts has been broken. Basically I spent WAY too much time trying to make a cool farm - and none on actually defending the fort. By the time I started training them, I simply didn't have enough talent to make an effective military.

Ok,  so I technically could have... but then I'd have to use things I'm trying to avoid (danger rooms, catch-anything cage traps, magical insta-lock doors, etc). They're decently equipped from with full bronze and steel from the merchants, but they still died anyways.

And I just got soap too, which my infected mayor would have appreciated.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #13216 on: May 10, 2011, 04:13:18 pm »

Note to self: next time you try to breach through an aquifer, either put down some farms or bring more booze so you don't run out of food before you finish--

Oh fuck, forget all that. I attempted to put some farms on the level below my aquifer, and... stuff... happened. Well, that was six months of fun.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13217 on: May 10, 2011, 04:39:30 pm »

Arrowfire has just seen its first major attack since its founding. As a human caravan was about halfway to the fort's entrance, a vile force of darkness arrived. Fortunately, I had completed a massive for expansion just a few months earlier, and the defenses held flawlessly as the Goblin squads milled around outside the walls on the way to the hall of death. The human caravan itself was, in fact, not too badly injured; I counted only one dead pack animal and perhaps a merchant. All the guards, however died. Most of the merchants had the good fortune of being brave enough not to run away from the entrance as they were chased by goblins, but one was not so lucky, and his pack animal was beheaded.

I now have six or seven goblin prisoners, one of which is a master! Huzzah!
I intend to throw him into my death room from a low level, so as not to kill him directly... I wish to keep him locked up down there and wait to see what I might be able to pit down there with him. I captured a helmet snake a while ago, perhaps I'll throw that down there with him and see what happens.

But this was not considered a 'major' attack for no reason. Moments before the goblins flurried onto the surface, a forgotten beast in the form of a shelled, fire-breathing worm showed up. Naturally, I sent my mostly adamantine squad to wait at the door for it to arrive... but as they were smashing it down, all six of those who had assembled in front of the doors went back to the stockpiles, presumably to put their fucking socks away. As a result the beast smashed through the door unopposed and made mince out of my guard-wolf that I had stolen from the elves.

Things went downhill from here. Because of the rather lackluster ordering system, I was unable to rally the troops at the top of the stairs which led down to the cavern, for they disobeyed by station order. Thusly, several dwarves went down solo to try and take on the beast. Now even though I had clad most of them in adamantine, the dwarves were still quite prone to being bitten to shreds. And that's what happened... Most dwarves dodged it for a while, and slashed gaping holes in its shell, but still the beast inevitably grabbed one of their limbs and shook it off like an accessory.

After munching on four dwarves in this way, a duo finally arrives while the worm assails a crippled dwarf. They manage to stab it in the body... which gored its brain apart. All in all, six or seven dwarves died today, which doubles the fortress's body count after 5 years. Two dwarves managed to escape the beast with their lives, but they are both missing legs, and therefore will not be returning to service.

I sure hope I can get some more military dwarves somehow... I'm currently still over the cap with 124 dwarves, but I don't see much any other way to acquire dwarves worth their combat weight.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13218 on: May 10, 2011, 04:44:17 pm »

just got pumpstack powered and my metal industry going in earnest when a badass centaur titan comes along to wreck my #%#. As I had only JUST begun getting my military into steel, I had no choice to abandon. Did I mention that the titan was MADE OF FIRE?!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13219 on: May 10, 2011, 05:01:10 pm »

Did you try fighting it? You would have learned that fire beasts are literally made of fire. No flesh, bones, muscle or anything. So in the same way you can fan a fire out, you could pretty much blow on a fire beast to kill it. Stick things out next time, bloody carnage is always cool!

Further reports:
As the dwarves all mill busily about throwing all the junk from the goblins onto an atom smasher, a band of 4 dwarves is caught in my work-in-progress pit to armok. I discovered a magma tube on the first cavern layer, and chose to exploit it by first expanding my fort to protect the area where the tube is above ground, then digging a pit all the way from a small cave on ground level down into the magma tube. I made a bridge that I can seal just in case something flying decides to enter the first layer, I don't want to be responsible for having such a terror loosed on the world whilst I could have done something.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13220 on: May 10, 2011, 05:13:58 pm »

With an abundance of immigrants being put to every task possible, Shadowsong has seen a marked increase in productivity. We just finished annoying the dwarven liaison to no return, and are already making plans for how we can next anger the elves by seizing their equipment. Led by their captain, who wields a legendary golden axe, the guard (A squad known as the Crimson Sabers) has finally begun to train regularly beside the military groups "Blockaded Planets", "Invisible Wires", and the Mayor's (a legendary hunter) personal squad the "Caves of Thundering." It's a good thing, too, as the mining team (of around 10 dwarves) has recently punched through the ceiling a massive cavern complex, and though all we have found so far is a lot of water there is no doubt something dangerous down there. Patrols will be scheduled soon. In other news, a tetrahedrite crown known as "Bold Help" (depicting the creation of the axe "Taperedfaint" amidst larch, tetrahedrite, clear zircon and amethyst) will be joining the native gold ring "The Skull of Imprisoning" in the vault, locked away behind the impressively named granite door "Hailedwinnow the Dipped Turmoils".

I am very proud of this fort, even though it's current goal is to make enemies and die because the poor-moderately equipped military doesn't actually seem to be learning anything from all those training sessions and demonstrations.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13221 on: May 10, 2011, 07:15:31 pm »

I just started on a very peculiarly-shaped embark. A 3x3 area with the bottom third being a steep volcanic mountainside, and two bulging hills up the middle.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13222 on: May 10, 2011, 08:05:10 pm »

I HOPE SHE'S NOT INSECURE.

As a dwarven caravan was pulling into the depot, this fine lady arrived.

She's a law giver. This ought to be interesting...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13223 on: May 10, 2011, 11:15:28 pm »

The fort progresses entirely unhindered towards being a livable city. I'm beginning to construct outdoors more bedrooms, am flooring over the volcano on every level to provide stockpile space, and am trying to come up with a worthwhile militia and some weapon traps. I do have a pair of ballista at least. I ought to assign more dwarves masonry duties...

Recently a clothier became possessed and made an alpaca wool short skirt named 'The South Duties'. I snickered a little at that. It is encrusted with green zircons and citrines, decorated with alpaca wool, and dyed midnight blue with dimple dye. In all it's worth 29560db. Not really noteworthy besides the name, and depressingly it is a possession...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13224 on: May 11, 2011, 12:42:07 am »

A hydra came, a couple of hammerdwarfs killed it.  It was a pretty groovy fight, with lots of head-crushing and bone-chipping.  One part that caught my attention was when the militia captain, having just shattered the bones of the hydra's right foot, immediately "scratched" that same foot with his hand, tearing it open.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13225 on: May 11, 2011, 01:02:57 am »

I find the idea that bolts are a little underpowered laughable, I'm killing elephants at a rate so freaking high I had to more than quadruple food storage, crank out ten new kitchens, and set every craftsdwarf shop and carpenters bench to make Barrels, and then decorate them with elephant bone/ivory/teeth. antirespectively.

so... much... stuff. Never mind I'm up to my armpits in galena, so I'm cranking out lead and silver barrels as fast as I can. plus I got a high master bonecrafter so I'm cranking out masterwork Elephant bone bolts, decorated in elephant bone, to kill elephants. Delicious.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13226 on: May 11, 2011, 01:50:01 am »

My jeweller is being prissy. Actually, everyone is; I'm trying damn hard to get them to shift things to storage areas but they refuse to.

And my jeweller is encrusting every barrel she can get her grubby hands on with priceless gems, ignoring the statues in favour of them. Bloody hell.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

ZZmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13227 on: May 11, 2011, 04:14:43 am »

:'( my cotton candy got eaten by a artifact 452 pieces of raw cotton candy eaten into a MUG of all things. stupid burrows 27 million dwarf bucks all that work for candy armor poof gone.
DK advisor quote was the message thingy of DF with: "Uric Glodson does a wonderful impression of the baron, he can even do the nose. He has been sentenced to 40 hammerstrikes for his insolence."

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13228 on: May 11, 2011, 06:26:43 am »

:'( my cotton candy got eaten by a artifact 452 pieces of raw cotton candy eaten into a MUG of all things. stupid burrows 27 million dwarf bucks all that work for candy armor poof gone.

Post it. A 27 million dwarfbuck mug is still very awesome.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13229 on: May 11, 2011, 07:30:06 am »

Another goblin raid.  this time against the Human caravan.  It went poorly for the Goblins.  Any who were not killed by the guards were torn to pieces by my military wrestlers.

I need to find iron ores.  All I have right now is Galena, which I am smelting.  I'm also in the process of building underground dwarven condominiums for my newcomers.  I envision blocks of rooms overlooking a carved chasm.  Need to beef up my defences too.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."
Pages: 1 ... 880 881 [882] 883 884 ... 3842