Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 882 883 [884] 885 886 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111891 times)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13245 on: May 11, 2011, 07:06:51 pm »

Over 2000 pieces of electrum, and my smelters are still making the stuff - out of nothing more than galena and native gold...

And I have nothing better to do with it than use it for mugs and floodgates right now. Any ideas as to what the remaining 3000 or so should go to?
Walls and roads, both in the fortress and out. Use it as a alternative to stone.

Then weep as the marble begins to pile up.
Marble? What marble? I'm in a volcanic region. I'll weep as the basalt piles up, thankyouverymuch.

And I just offloaded an asston of mugs onto the dwarven traders in exchange for more types of metal. Have fun with that one, mountainhome...

Also, off-topic, but... why haven't you updated the forum game that you mention in your signature?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13246 on: May 11, 2011, 11:25:21 pm »

Current date: 11th of Hematite, 529

The first few months of 529 in Oddomkobel have been interesting. In the first couple of months the dwarves created a new pipe between the fort cistern and the obsidian factory in the fort's lower decks to replace another pipe running directly from the river which had been clogged by a Nether Cap. While the initial flow from the cistern is highly pressurized and moves rapidly, in the final stretch of pipe the pressure drops considerably, leading to an inconsistent and inconvenient outflow. Consequently the mining of obsidian became dangerous, leading to the death of a dwarven baby. The Dwarven Occupational Health and Safety Administration (DOSHA) is currently investigating the baby's unsafe mining practices.

The largest Goblin siege yet seen by Cloistersummit arrived on the fifteenth of felsite, just as a helpless Elven caravan had arrived in the area. Although the dwarves looked on in glee horror as the Goblin forces hunted and killed the Elves, dwarven leadership was forced to seal the fort for nearly a week until the defense forces could be assembled. As the Goblins had neglected to bring any ranged units, the dwarves felt more confident of their ability to challenge the goblins than they normally were, and on the twentieth of Felsite the gate to the trade depot was lowered and the dwarves' confidence justified: only two dwarves were lost to the goblin horde, one of whom was an overenthusiastic immigrant who thought to challenge several Trolls on his own in the week before the battle.

A clothier sewed the following image of the aftermath of the battle:

"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

tabaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13247 on: May 11, 2011, 11:37:40 pm »

Crabwhiped has died sue to FPS and dwarfs not being able to path to stockpiles they were standing in. so i threw a lever and drained a river in to the first cavern layer and abanded it.

In a dessert not filled with undead a few tiles over i have founded Necrorelics the site is on the junction of 3 rivers and has 2 waterfalls and uder the top 2 layers there is at least 4 to 5 layer of obsidian. my dining room is made obsidian with obsidian furnature and a waterfall falling through one end of it. unfortunately at the begining of the second year i had to savescum twice as the elvish caravan kept turning up with 3 squads of bow goblins in tow and i had no defences. eventual they and an ambush of spear goblins were delt with by the millitary. also i think my fortress is built on a forgotten beast highway or something as when i breached the first cavern layer by accident there was a forgotten beast right nex to the hole 1z level down it was only a blob of steam with a shell and thankful coulden't fly but the second cavern is now home to Urer Evilbeach the Hex of Drink a great Quetzal composed of ash it has two long spiral horns and it squirms an fidgets. who knows maby the 3rd year will net me one in the third cavern layer.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13248 on: May 11, 2011, 11:59:08 pm »

Two years in and I've got both a herd of moose and a flock of turkeys, plus plenty of delicious plants. Also finally got a good floor plan for my fort so I don't have dwarfs running around causing massive traffic jams. I am very pleased with the fine dwarfs of The Sly Tombs so far, despite having my original woodcutter/milita commander killed by a lizardman theif. (Which has lead to the formation of military of around 30 able-bodied dwarfs all train via Libraries and training dummies... Thank you, Genesis mod! XD)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13249 on: May 12, 2011, 12:32:16 am »

Damn I'm missing the use of training rooms right about now.

I made a perfectly defensible fort I think, with more than adequate basic security - a bridge that can be made into a wall at any time. I keep all of my animals in a "pen" outside the gate, serving as cheap and otherwise worthless eyes for ambushers.

Problem is that they were torn through like butter, along with my continuously training military (without danger rooms). After months of being held up without any access to the resources of the outside world, I decided to craft the best trap I could - a crapload of stonefall traps. I was mostly done when the caravan arrived.

The caravan!? crap... I need those guys for metal. Open up the gates early, and see if I can kill a few. did it work? nope, I made one of them nauseous if that counts. Then the ambushers proceeded to, within the matter of a minute or so, bring my population from ~70 to ~14. crap.

Either I need to revise my military structure, or I need to learn to live without the wonders that caravans bring. Hell, I don't have close to enough coffins for this crap.

Edit - 5 more fell to berserkers and meloncholy, and the rest died in a follow-up ambush. Apparently they broke the bridge previously, so I couldn't lock them out. It was interesting though, watching the last dwarf run for his life while being followed by 3 ghosts and a goblin.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:03:39 am by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

tabaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13250 on: May 12, 2011, 05:22:13 am »

Necrorelics prospers Bizzarly in the year 1056 of our lord Armok(AKA still the second year). It is now a barony but we don't have enough people to elect a mayor yet. a third forgoten beast has turned up in the third cavern layer and an ambush of goblins have attacked us killing 3 dwarfs and injuring 3. All 3 injured have survived worst injured was Tholtig Iklistathel who has been promoted to sherif in light of his injurys which inculded sensory damage loss of the abillty to stand and a broken left lung which has left him short of breath suprisingly dispite being crippled and  a lack of cruches in the fortress at the moment he has been found continuing at his old jobs that he preformed before being injured.

grendelfreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13251 on: May 12, 2011, 05:54:31 am »

My fortress Pricetomes is now 100 years old with a population of 200 entirely descendant from 7 couples from those first hardcoded migrants. I think Dwarf Fortress may be addictive...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13252 on: May 12, 2011, 06:35:02 am »

My fortress Pricetomes is now 100 years old with a population of 200 entirely descendant from 7 couples from those first hardcoded migrants. I think Dwarf Fortress may be addictive...
Wow. 100 years? You must know those 200 dorfs by name and looks...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
...Fuuuuuuu!
« Reply #13253 on: May 12, 2011, 06:44:01 am »

Alllooooowwwwwww it!

Epic battles today.
Goblin siege. An impressive opening that didn't go my way but set the tone and theatrics for the rest of the encore.

Three squads, two from the south, one from the west, directly opposite my gates. Scramble two squads, put the in position.
Furst out of the gate, alone in my High Gore, Bepa (can't remember her title, but she had sixteen kills so she wasn't a newbie).

The pikemaster, Smustu, ranging ahead of her troop sees Bepa, at the same time as Bepa sees her. The two women lock eyes and charge. There is a very brief fight. The Pikemaster executes my High gore. Bepa didn't even get a shot in. Hand, arm, foot, head - twist-dead.

Theni Meadowrushed, The Hoary Dust, with her iron bardiche, charges out after the High Gore, engages the gobliness. A little back and forth, no ground given, then Theni chops her right hand off, shrtly after her left leg at the hip. The Gobliness, felled and rapidly bleeding to death, still has time to stab Theni in the left foot before bleeding out.
Theni, limps after the goblin squad. The squad, seeing their great leder felled, flee. Theni kills two brave goblins while the rest disappear.

The other two squads, led by a spearmaster and a hammerlord, are on one of the hills and about to discend on the fortress entrance. Behind them an illithid ambush appears.
Both forces converge on the fortress with my squads still rallying outside. The inexperienced High beast, brandishing her iron battle axe and eager to prove herself, charges blindly into the mass of goblins. She makes a good show of herself but dies when she allow herself to be surrounded without help.
More Borioth spill from the fortress and engage the Goblins. A brief battle and the Goblins are driven away. The Hammerlord, Tode, proud warrior that he is, stands and fights. Outnumbered, with poor equipment, he is killed.   

A second illithid ambush from the west. Theni charges them single handedly. She soon realises, after having to parry and avoid a multitude of blows, that this is a bad idea and retreats. During the the retreat she continues to block all incoming attacks but scores a deathblow on one illithid. The squad, realising they're outclassed runs.

Third Illithid ambush.
Fairly uneventful, but there are a couple of holes in my fortress roof that I still need to patch up. This proved to me the reason why:

Void master floated down into one of them, set fire to my first industry hall, the ground is still mossy cavern floor and is awaiting paving.
Confronted by a Soldier, the Illithid wastes no time. A brief fight - the Illithid poisons the soldier and then blasts him across the hall with it's zero cannon. The Soldier suffocates.

Then the game crashes.

I don't really know if I should be a little relieved or not, because this will give me back a couple of interesting people. But it was still a fairly interesting attack.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13254 on: May 12, 2011, 07:18:11 am »

The ChurchWhirls Marble Mug encrusted with 452 pieces of raw cotton candy

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:P
Also rigged my trade depot up out of graphite the can you say slow roasted elves?

Wait - slade?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

grendelfreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13255 on: May 12, 2011, 07:21:33 am »

I really should make up a family tree of the whole fortress to show just how crazy the relationships are, for example my head doctor has 15 cousins, is married to his aunt and the Captain of the Guard (and mayor) is his great-uncle.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13256 on: May 12, 2011, 07:27:02 am »

I really should make up a family tree of the whole fortress to show just how crazy the relationships are, for example my head doctor has 15 cousins, is married to his aunt and the Captain of the Guard (and mayor) is his great-uncle.

do it, show it. We want proof of dwarfen Incestion. (which would explain their madness from birth)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13257 on: May 12, 2011, 09:18:24 am »

That is one sick mug. 27 million dorfbucks jebus chrysler.

I've currently started a another fort to try a new design. At the moment I'm digging out my main hall, 47x47 and 5 z-levels in ceiling height. 
"It's unpossible!"

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13258 on: May 12, 2011, 01:00:13 pm »

It's been a long time since I've dealt with a tantrum spiral.  And I'm on the verge of a 171 dwarf spiral.  Hopefully I'll have a couple of cheery survivors to finish this big construction.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13259 on: May 12, 2011, 01:28:59 pm »

That is one sick mug. 27 million dorfbucks jebus chrysler.

I've currently started a another fort to try a new design. At the moment I'm digging out my main hall, 47x47 and 5 z-levels in ceiling height.
It'd be even more awesome if his world has kobolds...
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!
Pages: 1 ... 882 883 [884] 885 886 ... 3842