Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113029 times)

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12315 on: April 06, 2011, 05:34:06 pm »

My legendary miner is now in a squad called "The Rough Riders".
I still need to forge him some real armor, though.
EDIT:Robbed the caravan and got him some armor.

Bully!
How is it bullying if you're stealing from elves?

No he meant bully as in Theo Roosevelt's catchphrase (I know it was a common word at the time, but a president that awesome deserves his own catchphrase).

Theodore Roosevelt also being the leader of the Rough Riders, famous for their charge on San Juan hill in the Spanish-American war. It's like the boorish American version of "Jolly good!"

It is also a word I'm trying to bring back into common parlance, with limited success.

This is awesome and you are awesome for doing it.

Bully!
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12316 on: April 06, 2011, 05:59:08 pm »

In one fort, I'm working on a megaproject that I might be forced to stop; it crashed twice in less than an hour of gameplay yesterday. :(

So, genning a new fort, reading through the descriptions...and I realize something. All seven starters are secretly elves: they all have the flag "likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather."

Once I get this new fort settled I'll give a try at the megaproject....I really want to make that underwater volcano clear glass tower.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12317 on: April 06, 2011, 05:59:58 pm »

My monument to Kissedgranite's determination to survive is complete! A massive cross made of solid gold, because why not? It is composed of, by my calculation, 216 gold pieces (the shaft is 3 x 4, the "arms" are 3 x 12 and 3 z-levels tall, and the entire thing is 12 z-levels tall).

Now that the monument is complete, I think I'm ready to flirt with danger a little more, so I dug down to the magma sea, and am going to start mining adamantine. I think I know which part is the shaft to the HFS, and I'll try to avoid that.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12318 on: April 06, 2011, 06:26:20 pm »

For the time being, I have not undergone brutal dismemberment by any of the badgerkind. Suspecting they're planning something bigger and angrier.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12319 on: April 06, 2011, 06:28:38 pm »

Only in Dwarf Fortress can you dig down through the crust of the Earth, discover an endless sea of magma, and use it as a garbage disposal.

I'll bet my dwarves will thank me, though. I can't imagine the refuse stockpile smelt very nice.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12320 on: April 06, 2011, 07:03:58 pm »

For the time being, I have not undergone brutal dismemberment by any of the badgerkind. Suspecting they're planning something bigger and angrier.
... I have another idea!  Perhaps if we build a large wooden badg--
SHUT UP!

:D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12321 on: April 06, 2011, 07:28:08 pm »

Vabok Boattires the Defender of Crucifixions has fallen. He had 39 kills to his name, 14 notable. In the end, it took a forgotten beast to bring him down for good. A death any dwarf could be proud of. And for good measure, he singlehandedly beat the living shit out of the great feathered sauropod before dying, even fracturing its skull. And thanks to his valiant effort, not a single other dwarf was killed in the battle.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12322 on: April 06, 2011, 07:37:41 pm »

Give him the tomb of a god. Hell, if you have a demonic fortress, entomb him there.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12323 on: April 06, 2011, 07:43:58 pm »

I recently found a pair of trousers and a sock in a pool of blood in the hallway. I have no idea what happened there, but I suspect my tantrum-throwing sworddwarf might have had something to do with it. I'm not missing anyone important though, so whatever.

In other news I've come under my first siege, so I've stopped playing until I can figure out the best way to keep everyone alive.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12324 on: April 06, 2011, 07:46:25 pm »

Walls. Lots of them.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12325 on: April 06, 2011, 07:57:27 pm »

Deciding to for once make my fortress only accessible to foes when I want it to be, I constructed a moat of magma with a drawbridge being the only way over it. First caravan left, and I sealed up behind them, intending to ignore the outside world until something else shows up. Turns out I sealed the liaison in, and he eventually went insane and was chasing a horse around in the courtyard/fields for a while, until the horse finally ran inside, right past the giant war badger guarding the entrance (I removed the exotic tags just 'cause). Giant badger bit the liaison on the head and crushed his skull in one shot.

I wish there was some way to give animals treats, because I think that badger earned one.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12326 on: April 06, 2011, 07:58:00 pm »

Give him the tomb of a god. Hell, if you have a demonic fortress, entomb him there.

All Dwarves go to the same chamber of burial. The duchess is unaware that the event of her death will result in the removal of her tomb.

In other news, I have Dug Too Deep. demons made of snow, ash, flame, and salt, all in impossible numbers, have charged up the staircase that leads to the surface. I managed to build log floor over the staircase, sealing the foul beasts underground where they belong. Tragically, in the confusion, at least five dwarves are trapped underground with the army of beasts. We couldn't risk letting them out, even if there was time.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12327 on: April 06, 2011, 07:58:34 pm »

I'm learning to fear pandas almost as much as badgers. Just after the first immigrant wave, one of my starting seven was mauled and killed by a panda that apparently took exception to him chopping down trees. Then, the first caravan was partially delayed when a gigantic panda charged in to attack one of the guards, ripping off one of his feet before retreating. Fortunately, they haven't stumbled into the fort itself yet, and they don't come in the same numbers as those badgers. I'm still wary, though.

Edit: Also, for the last 200 or so years, my dwarven civ has been ruled by humans. I'm thinking it may be worth doing some historical study to see if I can figure out just what happened to cause this.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:03:04 pm by Keldane »
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12328 on: April 06, 2011, 08:02:15 pm »

That's where I want to go when I die, the portal to Hell  :P

No seriously though, that would be epic!

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12329 on: April 06, 2011, 08:03:15 pm »

I'm learning to fear pandas almost as much as badgers. Just after the first immigrant wave, one of my starting seven was mauled and killed by a panda that apparently took exception to him chopping down trees. Then, the first caravan was partially delayed when a gigantic panda charged in to attack one of the guards, ripping off one of his feet before retreating. Fortunately, they haven't stumbled into the fort itself yet, and they don't come in the same numbers as those badgers. I'm still wary, though.

Fuckin' pandas, man. They lull you into a false sense of security with their adorable antics, and once they gain your trust, BAM before you know what hit you you're lying face down choking on your own blood.
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 3842