Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 815 816 [817] 818 819 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113463 times)

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12240 on: April 04, 2011, 04:08:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ash and salt demons are pussies. Oh, c'mon! Can't you at least give me something half-threatening with a chance to inflict a syndrome?!

EDIT: in other news, I just invented the dwarven hand grenade.
Or rather, my axedwarf did. By complete accident.

Woah woah woah woah woah... woah.

What?

Can we get schematics?
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12241 on: April 04, 2011, 04:20:21 pm »

Schematics for Grenade(Prototype):

Urist McRecruit: U
Waterskin(empty): °
Alcoholic Beverage: ^
Magma: ~
Enemy: c

U + ° + ^ + ~ + c = !!U!! +!!c!!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12242 on: April 04, 2011, 04:31:23 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80129.msg2149209#msg2149209

just did a year in a succesion fort. was a fun day.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12243 on: April 04, 2011, 04:39:59 pm »

Ash and salt demons are pussies. Oh, c'mon! Can't you at least give me something half-threatening with a chance to inflict a syndrome?!

EDIT: in other news, I just invented the dwarven hand grenade.
Or rather, my axedwarf did. By complete accident.

Woah woah woah woah woah... woah.

What?

Can we get schematics?
Schematics? No need for schematics. All there is to know is that said axedwarf fought with a giantess while in a pool of 1/7 magma (long story there). He was holding a lead flask full of alcohol. Both fighters were already in bad shape due to the magma, but it came to an end when the flask suddenly exploded. So, yeah, a hand grenade, only he forgot to throw it.
The giantess survived. Not the axedwarf.
Now, wondering how to weaponize such things without having to do a half-assed job at flooding the map (also known as FTW).
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12244 on: April 04, 2011, 04:59:01 pm »

cant forbid the flask so he drops it can you?
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12245 on: April 04, 2011, 05:02:21 pm »

cant forbid the flask so he drops it can you?
That may be a way to do it. It's way too late to try now,

EDIT: no more fort. Not even time for a tantrum spiral. Thanks for playing, Legendcryptians!  :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:33:56 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12246 on: April 04, 2011, 05:30:31 pm »

I found the caverns. My two miners found themselves caught in reptile man hunting grounds. I ordered them to attack, I figure they at least have a chance at survival, right? One of my miners is wounded by a dart and climbs on top of a hill to take a nap, while the other proceeds to unleash a can of all natural whoop ass on the scaly bastards. One miner versus six reptile men, five lizard folk dead, one wounded and swimming for his life, and not a single scratch on the miner. Someone's getting his own office.

In other news, legendary soap maker in the most recent migrant wave. I guess he'll be the one man scouting party for the deeper caverns.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12247 on: April 04, 2011, 07:00:19 pm »

Following the death of my previous fortress through boredom mysterious circumstances, Outpost Nazomcatten "Dreamchannel" has been founded. This will indeed be a channel for my dreams. The first three floors of the solid gold tower have already been completed. The first wave of immigrants only numbered in at four, but after closer inspection...

D'awwm they's a famwiy! A farmer, a soapmaker, and two children to be precise. With parental consent, I am breaking certain labor regulations involving child workers to hasten completion of the tower. In other words, those little buggers will be badass metalworkers by the time they're eight.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12248 on: April 04, 2011, 09:26:56 pm »

That may be a way to do it. It's way too late to try now,

EDIT: no more fort. Not even time for a tantrum spiral. Thanks for playing, Legendcryptians!  :D

Yeah, melee dwarves in general tend to get wrecked by any type of demon.  They do make excellent meatshields for your marksdwarves, though.  And marksdwarves are brutally effective against powder-based demons.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12249 on: April 04, 2011, 09:33:04 pm »

A page from the journal of 'Skitchy' Likodumat, one of my longest-surviving dwarves...

...Yep. I think the fort is screwed. I, with my omniscent view of the map, know even more of the invaders than Skitchy.
They number sixty-one goblins, including a spearmaster, an axe lord, and a swordsmaster. But THAT is nothing.
They're lead by... Ozor olunabras! The law-giver of the Primitive Hate! D:
I know this guy is tough, I fought him once in adventure mode... Ouch.
Our ONLY HOPE for SALVATION lies with...
...Yep. I think we're doomed. Plus Zurdosul even has a punctured lung now, and a broken rib... So he won't be up for much fighting.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:44:33 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12250 on: April 04, 2011, 10:44:35 pm »

I'm starting to develop a routine: 
Caravan shows up.
Goblin ambush shows up and slaughters caravan.
Dwarves flee inside while goblins slaughter 2/3 of livestock.
Majority of goblins get caught in cage traps.
2 or 3 goblins hang around the entrance, while the dwarves hide out in the hospital.
I draft a bunch of civilians.
I send wave after wave of my own men to try and kill the two goblins, unsuccessfully.
PANIC
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12251 on: April 04, 2011, 11:08:04 pm »

I'm starting to develop a routine: 
Caravan shows up.
Goblin ambush shows up and slaughters caravan.
Dwarves flee inside while goblins slaughter 2/3 of livestock.
Majority of goblins get caught in cage traps.
2 or 3 goblins hang around the entrance, while the dwarves hide out in the hospital.
I draft a bunch of civilians.
I send wave after wave of my own men to try and kill the two goblins, unsuccessfully.
PANIC

I see. Your routine is missing a vital step. You have 1. Caravan shows up, 2. Goblin ambush shows up and slaughters caravan, when the proper order is 1. Caravan shows up, 2. MAGMA

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12252 on: April 04, 2011, 11:14:55 pm »

I decided to break the routine of pull lever-pepper siege with bolts--pull lever--send out melee to mop up--clean. I left the gate open. 

I miscounted with my troop placement, the marksdwarves showed up too late and missed the squads of axe and hammer goblins they were supposed to pin.  Instead the deep and surface melee squads met the ogres head on, while bowgoblins swordgoblins and more ogres chased a child and a legendary bone carver, falling on the latter in a mob of 20, so that I could only tell his state by the flurry of severed limbs that flew out of the crowd.

The front line was the old ogre gretto, now the head melee dwarf's home.  it was her child that died. The husband falls in battle in minutes, pierced by arrows.  Her other child, the older sister went mad and wanders the halls raving. The captain is still ecstatic, she is too far gone in the slaughter to care for her lost children and slain husband. She, "The Rumored Land of Doors", which i assume is a goblin euphemism for the afterlife, slays an ogress and carves up a goblin.

The marksdwarves rally and the elite squad, although caught mid way to the roof of the old ogre cabin, and shooting from deep melee, do terrible damage to the goblins.  Their archers flee, their axemen beeline and are taken one by one.  Wrungknives has won the day. There are seven dead militiary, two civilians.

However years of partying in tiny clay bars and brothels has taken a toll on my angry, for the most part bedless masses.  Lots of red arrows.

And the popular bookkeeper has just died to a tribe of troglodytes, seconds before the militia tore them apart. Deep wood expedition has now taken two lives.

Tantrum spiral brewing. Population now 146.

*Edit Giant Cave Spider Attack, Castletwists has killed five, and Im hoping she gets caught in a cage trap soon.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:23:59 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12253 on: April 05, 2011, 12:07:42 am »

and now a dwarf lets loose a laugh, fell and terrible. one dead glassmaker later I find myself with:
"Skullsletter" a dwarf bone figurine of dwarves.

On the item is a masterfully designed image of dwarves in dwarf bone by Sazir Mondulthuob. The dwarves are laboring. The artwork relates to the foundation of Wrungknives by the Spear of Onslaught of the Treaty of Vales in the early spring of 51.  It is encircled with bands of dwarf bone.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12254 on: April 05, 2011, 01:34:29 am »

Located native black sand at Craftgates. Let the greenhouse project begin! I'm planning for it to build up in a beehive shape, just for attractiveness's sake, with rough stone floors so my dwarves can get them muddy enough to grow plants. At the top will be a lookout pavillion for my marksdorfs, so they can get the high ground on any goblin incursions.

Craftgates seems prone to ambushes by goblin marksmen. Very annoying, since I can't close for melee, and for the most part they're smart enough to stay the hell away from my repeating spikes.
Pages: 1 ... 815 816 [817] 818 819 ... 3842