Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113458 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12225 on: April 04, 2011, 10:06:33 am »

8th Malachite

Well, it looks like the main ambush of the year is over, after roughly 4 months of skirmishing between my marksdwarves and the main enemy squads. The first gobbos arrived around the same time as I was pissing off the elves, then the traditional hordes of mounted Sand Raiders. Funnily enough, the cannibal-hippies got an "invading force" of camels to my fort before the last survivors of the gobbo squads limped off the map, taking several masterwork bolts with them. Between deaths due to crossbow, cage field prisoners and cowardice, all 119 ambushers have been accounted for. But I need to build some sort of execution chamber now. And seeing as how I turned temperature off (Init editing = +40 to FPS), I can't dump them in the volcan- yes I can. Either they drown or they learn to swim and my markdwarves shoot them.

On another note, Nasulab Uvar Nitig, "Unsquirt the Lull of Bites" the perfect black diamond has been completed. I'm trying so hard to not think about that name...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12226 on: April 04, 2011, 10:09:52 am »

Minecastle mayoral journal Summer 508

The merchants were ambushed outside our gates again.  It seems the goblins and orcs have decided to just attack our caravans every season instead of wasting their lives against the walls of our fortress.  Though their insistence of doing it within sight of our walls is disturbing, it is lowering morale.

This time the caravan made it close enough to our walls for our crossbowmen to attempt to cover them, and they wrought havoc upon the enemy.  Unfortunately it was not enough and the caravans were still scattered and destroyed.  The caravan guards seem to have taken their failure quite hard and chose to gather together and make a last stand in front of our gate and were quite successful, slaying 2 or 3 times their number with the support of the crossbowmen on the walls.  One even took up a defensive position behind our wildlife deterrent traps at the front gate, mowing through goblins as the serrated disks swung at their legs.  I felt a tinge of sadness as they were all eventually shot to death one by one by the goblin archers that soon arrived and open fired upon them outside of the range of our own archers.  I will see that they get buried in the hall of honor.

No deaths among our forces this time.  The archers did most of the work and the caravan guards managed to thin the greenskin numbers significantly. Only 3 wounded from the Minecastle defenses. 2 melee soldiers that took a goblin sword and a crossbowman that somehow caught some arrows with his tail and legs.  None of the squad will talk of it openly, but rumor is that he was mooning the goblins from the fortifications.  Got what he deserved I suppose.  The enemy seems more organised than ever, last year the goblins and orcs appeared to be mortal enemies, this year they fought side by side.  That can't bode well for us.

Again the air force destroyer docked at our small refueling tower refused to assist.  Claiming that the destroyer's mounted ballissta are designed only for air to air combat and do not have the arc of fire necessary to accurately target soldiers on the ground.  "More likely to hit our own walls than the goblins outside it." he said.  He also claimed that one of the ship's two water reactor engines was suffering from low water levels, disabling it, and the ship currently lacked the power necessary to do much more than hover at the dock, let alone perform combat maneuvers.   Although that explains the large amount of water that has been transferred from our wells, I can't help but think the air force captain considers the army to be inferior, and not worth assisting.  I'll be glad when they finally finish resupplying and refueling and return to the front line, good riddance.

Food stocks are overflowing, bookeeper claims that we have enough meat preserved and stored away to supply the fortress for more than two and a half years.  And that's if the livestock all caught plague and died all at once.  With the livestock the numbers seem to indicate that we are almost self sufficient, which is a good thing if the greenskins continue to waylay every caravan sent our way.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12227 on: April 04, 2011, 10:14:09 am »

Windstandard, a frontier fort at the foot of a small range of hills overlooking a serene desert. 2 years in, with a heavily agricultural economy. All is well, despite the lack of trees meaning my 82 inhabitants only have 40 rooms and a nice shared dorm. Thanks to trading and mysmall scale metalwork, I hve one squad of swordsdwarves with a variety of gear (from steel to bone...) and some rookie marksdwarves. Currently we are at lockdown as a nice large ambush of bowgoblins backed by both goblin lashers and pikegoblins has killed all my pasture animals and free range birds. Rush-building some gear to fully outfit my squads with at least copper before the human traders need to leave - when they do, I will let them out and simultaneously release the dogbomb. Under cover of human meatshields and expendible dogs/puppies, my grunts will rush them. hopefully this will work out ok... well, ok for me at least.

EDIT: And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why we love this game. The humans left and legged it to the edge, chased by the gobbos all the way, haviong chosen flight ahead of fight. The contents of my dogbomb decided to bolt for my dining hall. Might as well cook and eat them now. As the humans left they passed an incoming migrant wave. These migrants decided not to be offput by the frantically fleeing humans and instead pressed on - now the hillside outside my fort is littered with a few dozen dead useless immigrants and thier animals. The gobbos remain, but at least they now have a lot less ammo.

EDIT2: Infact, no ammo at all. They were mopped up with ease serving as useful target practice for my rookie squad. Dwarf fortress - using human and animal meatshields since... the end of world gen?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:44:23 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12228 on: April 04, 2011, 10:40:02 am »

Some goblins attacked again, but this time, we were ready. Charging into battle, The Vigor Of Painting decimated the goblin scum. The star of the battle, the scarily badass-titled Vabok Boattires The Defender Of Crucifixions, achieved one of the most awesome moments I have ever seen in Dwarf Fortress: Charging at two goblins at once on a broken leg and then winning. No self-respecting Dwarf ever allowed an inability to walk stop him from murdering goblins.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12229 on: April 04, 2011, 11:27:58 am »

I was looking through military skills with dwarftherapist, and looks like the captain of my "Training weapon assault" squad is an expert in being a macedwarf, dodging, fighting and using shields + armor.
I drafted him into the main squad.
Of course he uses the artifact mace.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12230 on: April 04, 2011, 11:32:30 am »

The cyclops Tol Eneruthal has arrived!

And just in time for the new militia. They're undisciplined and ragtag but the legendary miner is near at hand. We decided to face the beast head-on, who immediately grabbed the two shieldbearers. The first one had his knees bent and broken and the other was thrown into the magmamoat. Stunned, drowning, but undaunted, the brave recruit emerged from the fiery soup, burnt from head to toe, but determined to save his comrade. Alas, he could do no more than bruise the brute, who persisted in pummeling the broken toy dwarf before him. Fikod, shielddwarf, has bled to death.

After thirteen (!) pages of chipping at away at the unconscious, hard-headed wonder, the glory was stolen from Kol, legendary miner, by Logem, who struck the final blow with a copper shield.

Alath, badly beaten, is being treated for injuries.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12231 on: April 04, 2011, 12:11:51 pm »

My military-centric fort is getting boring and may die in fire, so to speak. 180m wealth, 97 population, and I have yet to see anything beyond Sand Raiders, gobbos and Bugbears. Either I will breach the carnival or start a new fort soon.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12232 on: April 04, 2011, 12:20:32 pm »

The Hydra Okag Zikathokag Onam Ugath has come!

Shit! Shitshitshit! I've never even seen a Hydra before! I have no idea what to do!

I think I'm about to have a lot of Fun.

UPDATE: Ha! Killed the ugly bastard! One idiot dwarf attempted to attack it carrying a shield but no weapon (I dubbed him Captain America) but briefly after he died, the rest of the squad arrived and hacked up the Hydra until it died. Vabok Boattires once again got the kill.

As an afterthought, the Hydra's name meant Okag Filthbloats the Larva of Belches. I don't think I could come up with a name more disgusting.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 05:56:23 pm by Samuel »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12233 on: April 04, 2011, 12:37:23 pm »

Just genned a world with the longest history setting in normal creating mode for playing adventurer, and it is apparently 'The Age of the Elf'. WHAT THE FUCK DWARF FORTRESS? WHY DO THOSE LITTLE HIPPY FUCKTARDS GET AN AGE AND MY HARDY DWARVEN WORKERS DON'T?

I genned one recently with medium stats on everything except # of civs (high) and length (500 years).

There were something like 11 dwarven civilizations, ALL of which were wiped out before the end of worldgen (some from conquest, a disturbing number from basic starvation). When I collated the pop/site info file, there were preceisly 16 dwarves left in existence, all citizens of two human cities. There were THOUSANDS of elves and humans.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12234 on: April 04, 2011, 12:44:26 pm »

Giant Earthworm popped up.
It pushed a hunter until my squad arrived to dispatch it.
The commander's wife got the winning kill by stabbing it.
They are now butchering him.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12235 on: April 04, 2011, 01:06:10 pm »

Astesh Amithlikot Fongbezgamil Urdim, the mightiest swordsdwarf the blades ever did see, is a most surprising dwarf.
He may have only killed 16 creatures, he may only have 1 arm, but he singlehandedly routed both goblin and elven siege.

Astesh is my military commander and part of the original 7 founders. His 8 years at the fortress have been bloody and savage, losing first his hand to an ettin, and then his arm to the goblin warleader. Though his final moments may have been bleak, as Astesh stood on the battlefield surrounded by goblins, elves, blizzard men and a minotaur, he completely surpised his enemy by surviving against all odds.

Unfortunatly Astesh took a blow to the head and was unconcious, deeply wounded with now no legs. I decided to build the greatest of memorials, a 20z level dwarf made from his favourite material, Steel. And then Astesh surprised me aswell, once the third level had been finished, he woke up...

God dammit Astesh.
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12236 on: April 04, 2011, 02:53:27 pm »

Don't stop making it anyway, you wouldn't want him to become depressed knowing he won't get a memorial just because he's still alive, or let alone think you actually lost faith in his ability to pull through, do you? :P

My fort is coming aalong nicely now that just about every unnecessary industry has been shut down. Ran out of diorite stones for a minute... Nothing the mining team couldn't fix. Had to kill an elf and her animal to get them to leave again. Interrupting the trade with the cobalds...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12237 on: April 04, 2011, 02:54:20 pm »

Herbalist gets possessed and makes some leather backpack.
A recruit took it.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12238 on: April 04, 2011, 03:16:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ash and salt demons are pussies. Oh, c'mon! Can't you at least give me something half-threatening with a chance to inflict a syndrome?!

EDIT: in other news, I just invented the dwarven hand grenade.
Or rather, my axedwarf did. By complete accident.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:40:12 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12239 on: April 04, 2011, 03:47:36 pm »

Such a rookie error today. Off to a great start with a new fort, got enough food and beer piling up to feed four times as many dwarves as I have, hospital is nearly ready, the first squad is just waiting for the last of their armor before heading into the danger room, and I completely forget to keep an eye on the river diverted into the reservoir for the well, and next thing I know, my fortress is flooding because I didn't shut off the floodgate in time, and can't even get to the lever because it's underwater by the time I notice. ::)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 04:10:06 pm by Hammerstar »
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 3842