Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972794 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12210 on: April 03, 2011, 11:10:41 pm »

Late spring (27 Felsite) and the pointy eared bastards finally show up.  We've been waiting for them here at Asmelziril (Merchantfires) since we set up in the spring of 251, a little more than a year ago.  Now to call everyone inside so The Brave Hames can teach 'em that wooden swords and armor, even hardwoods, don't fare well against even lowly iron and bronze spears (we haven't had time to find flux, and none was visible on the surface).

Ah, the fun of playing a civ that was destroyed, and is still at war with the elves immediately after world gen is completed. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12211 on: April 04, 2011, 12:29:45 am »

There's a lot going on in my fort. I need to shut down a lot of industries in order to free up dorfpower to perform construction. The master brewer, being one of those select legendaries free of all responsibilities (hauling) but continuing their professions, has become a talented cook to boot. We have more food than we have barrels and pots to contain it. Need to work on that. I'll run one farm for the moment to generate enough to keep up with the booze demand, but we're going to be subsisting on various kinds of meats from our many animal friends, including elk bird, mountain goat, sheep, llama, the occasional other domestic animal, trogs, and dralthas that I refuse to tame in order to prevent the need to actually feed them. They survive just fine in their cages if feral, and the military can chop them up whenever I get the chance to set up cages.

I need more dorfs. I thought 60 would be plenty of workers, but I've let the farming industry boom to an extreme and I can't afford to deal with the resulting masses of food, animal wool, milk, cheese, and leather while I have work to be done on the bridge. I need enough dorfpower to generate enough blocks, and stone to make them, to build the rest of the bridge, and that is a number in the tens of thousands at a minimum.

And what in god's name is this?! Three starving, drowsy farmers standing in the middle of the food stockpile idling but not eating?! Ridiculous! What is it with this damnable accessibility bug that is trapping dwarves in fully accessible places!? There was a miner sitting on the other side of the bridge starving to death for no damn reason. We're practically drowning in food and these three are what? Going on strike while wading through it?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:34:23 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12212 on: April 04, 2011, 02:10:19 am »

Late spring (27 Felsite) and the pointy eared bastards finally show up.  We've been waiting for them here at Asmelziril (Merchantfires) since we set up in the spring of 251, a little more than a year ago.  Now to call everyone inside so The Brave Hames can teach 'em that wooden swords and armor, even hardwoods, don't fare well against even lowly iron and bronze spears (we haven't had time to find flux, and none was visible on the surface).

Ah, the fun of playing a civ that was destroyed, and is still at war with the elves immediately after world gen is completed. :D
After action report: 4 day battle, then the surviving elves break and run for it.

Asmelziril casualties:
-- 1 cavy pup
-- 1 goat kid
-- 1 piglet
-- 1 duckling
-- 1 formerly noob speardwarf requesting diagnostics for heavy bruising, maybe some minor fractures

Elven casualties from Asmelziril:
-- 8 elven swordsmen dead
-- 2 or 3 wounded (not sure of exact numbers) with heavy bruising, minor fractures and possibly limb/hand removal

Elven casualties from other sources:
-- 1 elven swordsman dead by an enraged horse that kicked his upper arm through the shoulder muscle, shattering the shoulder, then stomping his head
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

TheHaunted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12213 on: April 04, 2011, 02:48:27 am »

I decided to try 31.25, though it seemed odd since my animals kept killing each other for no reason.  Lost two peahens and the breeding pair of rabbits before I finally separated the grazers from the non-grazers, that seemed to stop the problem.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12214 on: April 04, 2011, 03:26:08 am »

Huh. So ambushes CAN appear in the spring of the second year. Who knew.

I don't quite feel like continuing this fortress with 5/37 dwarves having a pulse -3-
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12215 on: April 04, 2011, 03:50:31 am »

The goblins care!!! Finally, a Vile Force of Darkness arrived.

Into the Wall of Doom, trapping several of the second wave of trolls and delaying squads 3-6 of goblins with cage traps.

The two weapon traps on each of the two entrances, surrounded by a few cages, were so effective, that there was little for the Bronze Carnages, Famous Quakes and Gilded Trumpets to do, unto I set them on the delayed waves.

One hammerdwarf of the Trumpets dead - no idea how.  The battle description is four lines long, and the last two are fatal for the dwarf.  Must have been an attack from the blind side.

Around 20 trolls and 60 goblins captured/killed...

Now I hope the elves can beat that...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12216 on: April 04, 2011, 04:17:05 am »

Currently, i`m capturing goblin snatchers and put them in my arena. xD so that my poor hammerdwarves get some action. they need blood!

Also, I`m training my warriors. -.- it goes so slow that i had to make a word-document just to keep an eye on their exp, so that i can see if they actually gain exp. xD

Kumagoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12217 on: April 04, 2011, 04:33:54 am »

Airborne goblin siege, to which I'm totally not prepared (my fort was largely based off a huge courtyard with farms, pastures and breweries there.

Military managed to get rid of some threat, many heroes fell..

Enjoying a nice tantrum spiral at the moment

This gonna be good...!

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12218 on: April 04, 2011, 05:28:23 am »

Right my first time attempting to deal with an Aquifer. Using pumps, although my knowledges of pumps is nil, but we'll see how I get along. I don't have any rock in which to cave in, everything else just acts as a further aquifer layer I think.
It's all clay.
I have no miners - they both drowned and the picks are irretrievable. I have no way of buying picks.

This is... bad.

On the plus side i have no trouble with sustenance.
touch wood.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12219 on: April 04, 2011, 05:38:17 am »

Just genned a world with the longest history setting in normal creating mode for playing adventurer, and it is apparently 'The Age of the Elf'. WHAT THE FUCK DWARF FORTRESS? WHY DO THOSE LITTLE HIPPY FUCKTARDS GET AN AGE AND MY HARDY DWARVEN WORKERS DON'T?
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12220 on: April 04, 2011, 06:11:09 am »

Ambush. As FPS dropped to 6.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12221 on: April 04, 2011, 07:29:13 am »

Just killed 3 pages of demons with (mostly) my 7-legendary melee dwarf squad clad in adamantine, and nothing seems to be spawning inside hell now. I lost an axe lord.

Seems I'm just gonna colonize it, and obviously relocate my main dining room in it as well.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12222 on: April 04, 2011, 08:56:24 am »

Fires are slowly dying out.
That is all.

PPE: Or maybe the incoming elven caravan will help spread it around...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12223 on: April 04, 2011, 09:00:59 am »

Oh hey, the lake freezes in winter! Let's make an island, BP style!

Phase 1: Okay, dig down, ramprampramp digdig whaaaaaaaSPLAT damn that was my legendary miner!
Okay, Phase 2: build upwards... Hmm, my ice stairs have disappeared... no biggie. Just build and dig upwards.
Build.
BUILD, the snow is already melting it's late-Winter BUILD!
Why is everyone taking the long route via the top?!?! Oh damn because there's a 1-tile wide hallway at the bottom damndamn if I only noticed before they're now all walking on the surface we almost got it damndamndamn just a few more walls and *pause* hmmm. A melting lake apparently takes a lot of processing time. 2 minutes later... *unpause* MELT! Nooo two more drown! One crawls out of the lake just in time! Oh man that was CLOSE.

Next winter... That island will be glorious.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12224 on: April 04, 2011, 09:16:40 am »

Right. After all the deaths recently from various poison-spewing forgotten beasts, my military was completely useless, a whole bunch of mostly-empty squads. It took a goblin ambush killing a whole bunch of dwarves before my decent warriors got there for me to realise this. :/  They all came out to fight one at a time, not a good strategy.

So I've completely revamped the military, leaving just a couple of old squads, and put all my able dwarves into one squad, this time with properly-designated equipment.
Their first trial was a forgotten beast that turned up just after a group of new migrants, and just as a few dwarves were dying from all the forgotten beast extract lying around.
One of the new guys... Walked up and smashed it apart with his fist. 8) I think this is the beginning of a wonderful friendship, ezum TomeRoughness. Just gotta give you a catchy nickname...

EDIT: Oh damnit!! That brave new dwarf who killed the last forgotten beast just had his skull crushed by the new one. :( He put up a damn good fight, though... I just wish he hadn't disobeyed his orders and wandered into the caverns in the first place. His foolishness got himself and another dwarf killed, and almost doomed my greatest warrior, 'Beryl' Esdorshem Kegethkebon, (Beryl Soldplank the Held Odor) as well. He rushed down with axe at the ready, and the beast (A friggin' flying three-eyed lobster, incase you were wondering) swooped down and knocked him over. He fought to keep its claws away from his head, managing to slice open its mouth in the process, but he was still pinned down and it seemed he was doomed... Until his trusty Warbear Zurdosul arrived, lunging at the Lobster and managing to distract it long enough that Beryl could hack it into chunks... But the great mighty bear was gravely wounded, his left lung torn apart by a kick from the fiend. D: I hope-hope-hope he survives, I love that bear!! :/
My damn medical dwarves hardly ever deign to operate on a wounded dwarf, let along a pet...
Any ideas you guys? Fingers and toes crossed Zurdosul makes it...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:44:33 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 3839