Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113452 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11925 on: March 29, 2011, 11:35:22 am »

Yes, in fact. One of them singlehoofedly wiped out my 20-dorf protofort.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:37:02 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11926 on: March 29, 2011, 11:51:17 am »

Awesome. You should submit this to toady. It'll be like the unicorn's evil twin.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11927 on: March 29, 2011, 12:15:01 pm »

Legendcrypts is down to 157 dwarfs. The new new mayor is miserable, like his predecessors; however, despite the liaison outpost running away from the place when the ex-mayor started babbling at him incoherently, the place somehow became a county. Do I have to remind you the baroness was killed by the very first berserker one year ago, and did not have any family?
So, we're down to 157 dwarfs, not counting the doomed crazies, and there is a second goddamn siege. It's been less than 6 months, dammit! We only popped out a very shiny, but absolutely useless, trumpet!
Good thing the army is completely sane. One mason had the bad idea to attack two marksdwarves, including the very captain of the guard. I am greatly surprised he wasn't killed in the beating... however, he did get chained while sustaining injuries including an upper spine fracture. In an external part of the fort not included in the burrow. He's thirsty. And the tantrum spiral's casualties gulped down all the water that wasn't frozen. Well, now I understand why he didn't get killed...  :P
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11928 on: March 29, 2011, 12:33:05 pm »

Spoiler: CREATURE:NIGHTMARE (click to show/hide)

Looking back now, it isn't actually a layer of flame, the standard materials are just turned red and jacked up to 14000 U.

And they have PRONE_TO_RAGE:100.
How can I add it to my game? </lame question>
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11929 on: March 29, 2011, 12:36:08 pm »

The mayor mandated ADAMANTINE ITEMS.
I'm not even in a mountain area.
Yeah, some metalsmith is gonna get jailed.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11930 on: March 29, 2011, 12:41:33 pm »

You don't need a mountain for adamantine.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11931 on: March 29, 2011, 12:49:47 pm »

Well, that was disappointing.
The Dodge-This alone got rid of the entirety of the siege. Didn't even need to activate the water pumps to wash them all away (couldn't have been possible anyway, seeing how the brook's frozen, but seriously, even the trolls were hardly threatening at all). The dorfs were all safe this time, being busy with the hospital, or plain being crazy, ironically. So, no green-haired or grey-furred satanic creature managed to hurt any dwarf in any way.
It was like an early Dwarfmas for the military sent to hack at the injured goblins and feeling cowards, though. Green skin, red blood, and shiny weapons, yay!  :D
152 citizens now.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11932 on: March 29, 2011, 01:00:08 pm »

So I have embarked on a new 2x2 map. Two hot untamed wilds badlands squares, one wilderness tropical swamp square and one wilderness tropical freshwater lake square. Very few iron ore sadly, but more than enough coal and flux to get steel. Plus I intend to make that one a 7-dwarf fortress.

Good news- magma sea is at only -18 (I have only one cavern) and the adamantine tube to HFS is not a tube but a column :O Yeah, it's full adamantine.

Maybe it has to be because it's only 6 z-levels high ?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11933 on: March 29, 2011, 01:09:18 pm »

Spoiler: CREATURE:NIGHTMARE (click to show/hide)

Looking back now, it isn't actually a layer of flame, the standard materials are just turned red and jacked up to 14000 U.

And they have PRONE_TO_RAGE:100.
How can I add it to my game? </lame question>

A quick glance shows that there aren't any non-vanilla dependencies since all the tissues are defined in the creature raw so it's fairly simple.

You can do it the quick way, which is to just copy the contents of that spoiler and paste it at the end of creature_standard.txt in the raw/objects folder.  And then the creature should appear in any generated worlds after the addition.  this method however makes it hard to transfer the mod to a new DF version, and is generally considered 'the lazy way'.

Or you can do it the more professional way, which is to go to raw/objects create a new text file named something along the lines of "creature_nightmare.txt" (creature_ is required, but after that you can make yer own name).  Edit the text file and put
Code: [Select]
creature_nightmare

[OBJECT:CREATURE]
Change the first line to match the name of your text file. then copy the contents of the spoiler below the 3rd line.

The second method makes the mod easier to move, remove, modify, or transfer to a new version also makes it harder to conflict with mods that modify vanilla stuff.  Either method though they won't show up in anything but arena mode until a new world is generated.

[On topic]Despite my population cap being set at 200 and my population being over 200 migrants are still coming.  I guess it's ok, since I was planning on upping the cap anyway, but I at least wish they would be somebody useful.  And not bring so many pet grazing livestock that I don't want or have room to accommodate.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11934 on: March 29, 2011, 01:56:44 pm »

I made the incredibly foolish decision to designate the channeling for all 11 z-levels of my Dodge This! pit at the same time. Ten seconds later, I'm looking at the broken body of one of my original 7, a legendary miner/mason, married with children, with dozens of close friends, lying at the bottom of a 1x1x10 pit with two broken legs, broken ribs, a broken arm, heavy bruising, in a pool of her own vomit. I have no hospital, but I do have a ton of royal bedrooms and a legendary dining room. Sufficient to curb a tantrum spiral? Possibly. I liked that dwarf. And it would have taken time to get the body out. And all my other miners are laying around the statue garden claiming there are no jobs.

Did I savescum? Hell yes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11935 on: March 29, 2011, 02:10:48 pm »

So like, i've finally reached adamantine on my new fort, trained up several legendary miners, made an elaborate pitfall entrance and stuff. Oh wait, no iron? No matter, i have bronze and adamantine. Now to wait for an invasion.

No goblin neighbors. D:
There's a couple of FB's bumbling about in the second cavern, but i have no reasonable military to take them down. Oh, and they're both flying. One is a huge hairy slug, forgot what the other one is. Talk about forgotten beast. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11936 on: March 29, 2011, 02:27:12 pm »

-snip-
No goblin neighbors. D:
There's a couple of FB's bumbling about in the second cavern, but i have no reasonable military to take them down. Oh, and they're both flying. One is a huge hairy slug, forgot what the other one is. Talk about forgotten beast. :P
Are there humans and/or elves? If so, kill the human diplomat, try to sell the elves wood, and kill both caravans. You'll get an import of terror without too much trouble that way.

Apparently some stonecrafter was standing on one of the ponds in the castle courtyard when it unfroze, as I just now noticed a corpse floating around down there. Looking at the reports, she drowned 6 days ago, and her upper body is somehow missing. Well, she had no friends, so I don't really care. But I guess it is about time to put in ramps; someone important could end up in there. Also, I cheated a bit and assigned my children to corpse disposal. That sort of hard work will really have a great impact on their development.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:37:54 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11937 on: March 29, 2011, 02:41:39 pm »

My first fell mood!  :D
A bone chain made from a sane brewer. It's called... Odrozgesith, or Fatalincests. It's also menacing with spikes. Mmmmh. I think I'm gonna put it in the hospital.
Also, migrants. So at worse, I'll have a bunch of losers from the city, and the military. 8)

Elderont

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11938 on: March 29, 2011, 02:52:29 pm »

Got this fort in the new version, just breached magma and blue candy. Decided that I would boatmurderer the magma sea to the surface through a pump stack. Problem 1: Magma sea is -90 z levels. Problem 2: There are 30 levels of a open huge cage in the middle of the stack. Problem 3: There is a nice bug with scales and a itchy sting in the cave waiting for me to have fun.

Going to start building a giant pump stack tower through the deeps. Hell yeah!
Wonder how many masons and miners will get killed...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11939 on: March 29, 2011, 02:57:59 pm »

It's Spring of the year 165!

I need a dwarf with a voice very close to Abe Lincoln's to do a speech regarding the last four years of triumph and to speak of Ingish's final memorial plans. That's right, he gets a memorial for my oversight of his duties. They all will. The forest west of us will be a grand statue garden of all our 62 dwarves that have stood on this soil. Those three deaths were all my fault in one way or another. Ignoring a moody jeweler, sending my unarmed militia to kill a pegasus stallion from the elves, placing cage traps so close to the end of the tunnel to trap animals... I still need to work on that last part. Those three dead will get the first statues behind the anchor.

But the bridge... IT IS COMPLETE! Well, it touches the other side at least. The ceiling anchor has been built up to a point where I intend to extend it across the water. It's about 5 levels above the roadway, and will be two stories tall itself. I need to get magma up to obsidianize some column bases onto the ocean floor. Maybe I'll just use DFhack and call it good though... I need to update all my utilities now, I can't take more pretty pictures until overseer is up to date! It's turning into quite a marathon for the dwarves to run across it.

The draltha herd was dealt with and we have a glorious amount of meat in our stockpile. Need more barrels for booze. Always need more...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 3842