Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 792 793 [794] 795 796 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113480 times)

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11895 on: March 29, 2011, 01:33:11 am »

I have found my favourite way of making food. One Farmer/Brewer and one Fisherman and one Woodcutter/Fish Dissector.
I am now never out of food. Except when my fisherman is legendary. Does the fish come back in the rivers, or do I need to go to an ocean fort for unlimited fish?

EDIT: And does the ocean freeze in freezing regions?
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11896 on: March 29, 2011, 01:44:59 am »

fish, other vermin, and larger wildlife are currently a little behind-schedule with their population tracking; they can go extinct if hunted to nothing, but they NEVER reproduce and the population cannot go back up. The population is region-specific and if you've run out of fish, you're shit-out-of-luck because they aren't coming back. Some places won't even have fish. I think one of the updates recently fixed some issues regarding the fish.

Oceans will freeze over and thaw. And it will murder your computer trying to calculate it. Of course if the place is cold enough they may be permanently frozen.

Your fisherman could double as a hunter/mechanic+animal trainer, though, and you could try using larger wildlife for food until THEIR local population is destroyed as well. Unless you just tame them and breed your own, that doesn't reduce the population until you abandon and all your livestock mysteriously dies.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11897 on: March 29, 2011, 01:45:38 am »

THEY'RE BACK. Right next to the dwarven caravan too.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11898 on: March 29, 2011, 01:46:32 am »

Can I breed the larger fish? Cos this means I will have to abandon my current fort. And I had just built my golden palace....

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11899 on: March 29, 2011, 01:59:36 am »

I just woke up from a 4-hour nap. I was having a legitimate ASCII dream for a while, at least for the units; the non-living objects were displayed isometrically and looked like they do in stonesense, but I have never even downloaded it! There were only 4 dwarves on the units list and I was getting paranoid because I would see them conversing with others, and an engineer was running from some besieging force outside, a platoon of axemen. He ran into a cave and I thought he was a goner because the axemen would follow and kill him. They did, but attacked him one-by-one and he managed to kill a few. Amazing little bastard. Then the dream stopped being displayed strangely... but I also stopped following it mentally and can't remember much except something about blue elves like from Avatar... Maybe that's what those 'axemen' were supposed to be.

And I think you could breed the larger fish like carp and sturgeon, or sharks. If you like modding/cheating, you can make them [AMPHIBIOUS] instead of [AQUATIC], allowing you to take them from the water. Be sure to get them back in water when you want to change their behavior back to normal. Alternatively you could make an untamed wild fishery that funnels them into some chamber where they can be occaisionally separated out and suffocated under influence of air, allowing you to butcher the corpse. Think that was used on mermaids to get their valuable bones...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:02:05 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11900 on: March 29, 2011, 02:13:12 am »

I have never seen "<creature> grease" before. These things are too damn awesome.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11901 on: March 29, 2011, 02:34:44 am »

I have actually, It comes from adventurers who set their pants on fire. :P
I make Spellcrafts!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11902 on: March 29, 2011, 02:36:53 am »

It also comes from dwarven merchants getting kicked in the head by hooves covered in fire.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11903 on: March 29, 2011, 02:49:26 am »

Wow... That sounds like !!fun!!

Did you poor magma on their animals who promptly went berserk?
I make Spellcrafts!

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11904 on: March 29, 2011, 02:51:23 am »

I have a bandit fort now. They're getting by on stolen food, but how do I make them able to eat the invaders who are attacking?!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11905 on: March 29, 2011, 02:52:11 am »

Wow... That sounds like !!fun!!

Did you poor magma on their animals who promptly went berserk?

Nope. These things:
Spoiler: AAAAAAAAHHHH (click to show/hide)

As the description says, their hooves (and eyes and manes) have a layer of the "flame" material covering them. IIRC, flame has a fixed temp of 14000 or some bullshit high number like that.

EDIT: Yeah, 14000 U.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:55:18 am by Urist Imiknorris »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11906 on: March 29, 2011, 02:57:49 am »

Gamer - try making the goblins/other invaders non-sentient by looking into their raws and deleting/breaking any [INTELLIGENT], [CAN_LEARN], [SLOW_LEARNER], or [CAN_SPEAK] tags. Dwarves will only eat non-sentient creatures, and killing them then should have your butchers carve them up. Don't use it on your dwarves though or they will stop gaining skill, and probably some other problems...

Urist, Mind passing the raws for that?

My fort crashed after some minor things were done. Everything is fine, though I still mourn the loss of Ingish and his potential for making amazing cloaks for my adventurers... I don't have enough room for all my grazing livestock. Someone has to go, and unfortunately it's the dralthas because they eat way too much. The giant panda already had to be put down for it's deplorable eating habits (ex: not eating). Still need to make nest boxes for the elk bird and stray female birds. The goat/sheep/llama pasture needs expanded soon too.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 03:05:01 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11907 on: March 29, 2011, 03:08:47 am »

Spoiler: CREATURE:NIGHTMARE (click to show/hide)

Looking back now, it isn't actually a layer of flame, the standard materials are just turned red and jacked up to 14000 U.

And they have PRONE_TO_RAGE:100.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11908 on: March 29, 2011, 03:23:08 am »

And so massive... I think I'd slap them in my evil races mod next to the golem. But I wanted to publish that after working out the bugs... meh, golems of bronze be a little too powerful, nearly invincible, so I can leave that file out.

Need to update the evil entities so they can be expected to survive world gen as it is now. The cobalds aren't even evil, despite being part of the mod they're only cruel by their entity definition but won't go to war, and they're the ones that survive world gen.
I make Spellcrafts!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11909 on: March 29, 2011, 03:39:33 am »

Make them breed faster?

Pages: 1 ... 792 793 [794] 795 796 ... 3842