Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113457 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11940 on: March 29, 2011, 04:00:34 pm »

The elves have been successfully driven off with more offerings of wooden crafts, I can only hope that they begin exporting terror soon. (Would that make them terrorists?) Also, training weapons are apparently deadly in the hands of legendary speardwarves, as I used a squad of four to kill off a dozen or so badgermen (Those damn pests) to give the marksdwarves some time off from their genocide duties. I didn't notice until after they were all dead that I had forgotten to order my spearlords to reequip their combat weapons. Maybe it is because the training spears are masterwork, but many badgery brains were spilled. Sadly, badgermen killed with spears are (unlike crossbow-related deaths) not harvestable. Maybe I should set out some traps and capture a sustainable population; we always need more meat.

On another note, the latest immigrants have brought the population to 80, the total created wealth has broken 220mDB and food stores are acceptable. Whoops, make that 81, a baby was just born to the mason closing off the tomb for the stonecrafter that drowned earlier this spring. Summer has begun, and the human harvest will arrive soon. 28th Felsite, 205.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11941 on: March 29, 2011, 04:16:00 pm »

Are there humans and/or elves? If so, kill the human diplomat, try to sell the elves wood, and kill both caravans. You'll get an import of terror without too much trouble that way.
Well, i was thinking about being a dick to the elves. They're only useful for the wood, alcohol and bears they bring. Though i'm not quite sure on what i'd prefer getting besieged by; elves or humies? I read on the wiki that humies won't go barrelling into your fort, so that might be a problem. Oh well, i'll figure it out. First; instant Noah-flood machine!
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11942 on: March 29, 2011, 04:40:36 pm »

Speaking of floods, I'm Dabbling. I've encircled my trade depot in a square of pillars with floodgates in between them. Water comes in from above once another lever is flipped. When the elves drown, then I can open those twelve floodgates to let water flow out at high speed...

And if any elves swim up to the door in the water input canal, I'll let them live. And then kill them for flooding the broker's office.

...let's see how will it work out.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11943 on: March 29, 2011, 04:43:51 pm »

Construction Ushilsodel (Iceshield) has begun on a freezng ocean/woodland. I am mining into the frozen ocean for my fort. Strike the Earth!
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11944 on: March 29, 2011, 05:15:09 pm »

My elfs don't bring logs, so they are completely useless to me. I massacred the last caravan, and felt good about it.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11945 on: March 29, 2011, 06:14:45 pm »

Built my first dodging pit trap. It's pretty shallow, only 5 z-levels deep, but I've discovered that while fully-armored dwarves will not take any falling damage, but partly-armored goblins and elves will break bones (and occasionally die on impact if they land on their heads). I do have a problem with dying goblins dragging themselves up to the forge or butcher's level before they bleed out, so I usually keep a squad down there to "greet" any incoming jumpers.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11946 on: March 29, 2011, 06:23:29 pm »

Just got my second mood completed (After 3 years!!), producing a legendary mechanic (YESSSS!) and "Prisonboards the Trifling Act", a native gold mechanism encrusted with native gold and menacing with spikes of rose gold, worth 171600 Dorfbucks. Guess what's going in my dining room?

On another note, it has been 3 years with no snatchers, ambushes, sieges, titans, etc. There is a hostile gobbo civ within range, population is at 93, and created wealth is currently at 265,829,276 Dorfbucks. So I have absolutely no idea why I'm being left alone, seeing as how pretty much every surface and item in my fort is encrusted, paved and studded (metaphorically and literally) with adamantine, gold, platinum and assorted gemstones.

Also, my marksdwarves are tormenting a badgerman. The only body parts, organs, digits and limbs of his that aren't red are his right lower arm, left paw and tail. He is unconscious, tired and winded, and has a total of 7 masterwork steel bolts stuck in various parts of his body, there is approximately a 5x5 region of the map covered in his blood and vomit, and he is still alive.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11947 on: March 29, 2011, 06:27:06 pm »

Goblin siege happened just after humans came - before letting my main force come forth the human macemen were allowed to fight the goblins+trolls on a bridge, shortly after a dorf pulled the bridge lever and dumped 1 troll +3 goblins +1 maceman into a 4Z level drop, the human woke up with a broken leg and arm and finished off his neighbors before coming up and witnessing the end of the fighting. I was expecting him to be dead.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11948 on: March 29, 2011, 07:05:49 pm »

My first Goblin ambushes arrived, sometime after the end of the first Goblin seige. I don't get it either. Anyway, we once again failed to actually kill any of them, but they took quite a beating. One of the last to flee the map left behind his right arm and leg. There were surprisingly few casualties. More dead herbalists, and a dead recruit, and I think they killed a few animals but that's it. There were quite a few injuries, but I made one of my butchers into the chief medical dwarf (I had no need for medical dwarfs previously) and he got everybody patched up.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11949 on: March 29, 2011, 08:06:59 pm »

I made one of my butchers into the chief medical dwarf

You sure the others will trust him?

In other news, immortal fucking water buffalo. My hammerer was beating it in the face for a good ten minutes until I eventually just told him to stop attacking. I can't find the buffalo now, though.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11950 on: March 29, 2011, 08:11:04 pm »

I just found my first adamantine spire that isn't completely covered in magma. Also, it's huge. The others I've seen were tiny compared to this.

So... tempting... Too bad I have to go to bed. Maybe it's for the best. I should really build a mini-fort down there that can be sealed off in emergencies.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11951 on: March 29, 2011, 11:11:42 pm »

friggin 3 different embarks i abandonned cuz the only civ was dwarves...is that like a new thing in .25? cuz the embark listed all the civs around me, but when i hit c it only shows the dwarves...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11952 on: March 29, 2011, 11:20:49 pm »

Other civs don't show up on the civ screen until they make contact with you (caravan, thief, siege, etc.).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11953 on: March 29, 2011, 11:22:06 pm »

...damnit! the last one was a really good place too

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11954 on: March 29, 2011, 11:31:27 pm »

Started a .25 fort, with the first year not quite over yet and there's already have had a buttload of traders. (Civ Forge is a beautiful mod...  ;))

Maybe I'll actually make it a few years before Toady updates again. HAIL THE TOAD!
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 3842