Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107106 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7965 on: November 15, 2010, 03:15:37 pm »

Added: Also, are all those + on various spots on the ground floors or walls underground? If so, that's quite a lot of work. And did you hide your mine entrance under the flooring on the topmost middle isle? Regardless, it's going to look great once water starts flowing.

The + are where I ordered my military to smooth the entire surface. The flooring covers the barracks and farms. I haven't needed to do much mining for stone due to the northern part being carved out of rock. The kimberlite furniture was made with stuff brought with me.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7966 on: November 15, 2010, 03:27:05 pm »

Ugh. urist Imiknorris, you make me want to do the same thing just to see the water slowly filling in ! :D

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7967 on: November 15, 2010, 04:06:06 pm »

My expedition leader chopped both arms off a troglodyte ... and then bit it in the foot and shook it around.

:D
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7968 on: November 15, 2010, 04:51:57 pm »

omfg Urist, bloody FPS suicide that is.
Nom nom nom

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7969 on: November 15, 2010, 05:29:23 pm »

Also, Mr. Kraken, where's that LP you spoke of? Gotta read that.

It's one I'm just starting, and I haven't actually posted it yet. I'm going to be running it over on the Escapist since one o my goals is to introduce new people to Dwarf Fortress. I'm aiming to get the first update done today though. I have the introduction and prologue finished, by writing about the game is probably going to be the most difficult part.

Do be sure to post a link once it is up.

Here it is.

That took way longer than I thought it would. I know it's nothing special, but I'm trying put as much effort into it as possible. Hopefully
I didn't fuck anything up majorly. Now to see if this was actually a good idea or not.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Trammelkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: November 15, 2010, 05:49:59 pm »

My main industry is cloth and I haven't managed to pierce the double aquifer. Got a bit lazy and suddenly I have 130 dwarfs all farming in two layers of soil. My fortress value became massively inflated and now I'm being sieged by 60 some goblins and 10 trolls.

Here goes my training sword militia.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7971 on: November 15, 2010, 05:53:07 pm »

Paddleowners is off to a smashing start. Marble and cassiterite out the wazoo, delicious Unicorn Meat to sustain my dwarves, an Accomplished Miner immigrated to complement my original miner, and in the two migrant waves that came before the first caravan (bringing my population to 22, including 3 children) I had no less than 6 highly qualified military dwarves and a High Master Glassmaker. And then my Metalcrafter became possessed, creating a silver bracelet adorned with warthog leather worth 25k dorfbucks a mere days before the caravan arrived with much needed booze!

Well, only 2 barrels, but that should sustain my dwarves while I brew all those plump helmets they brought.

Urist McGemcutter has died of thirst.

What? Well, I guess he was too far away from the caravan. Cut it closer than I-

Urist McPotashmaker has died of thirst.

Hey! WHY ISNT ANYBODY DRINKING! I KNOW THERE'S BOOZE I JUST BOUGHT IT, WH-

Urist McPopular had died of thirst.

WHY ARE YOU JUST SITTING IN MY DINING ROOM GO TO TH-

Urist McLegendaryMiner has died of thirst.

SONOFA-

Urist McWeaponandArmorsmith had died of thirst.

OH GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING

Urist McFatherof3 Has died of thirst.

DRINK YOU DUMB BEARDED SONS OF BITCHES

Urist McAxedwarf is throwing a tantrum!
Urist McAxedwarf has toppled a still!

FUUUUUU-

*ahem*  As it turns out, only having two barrels of booze means that only 2 dwarves will drink at a time, which is no good when 22 dwarves are dehydrated. Since my brewer was one of the first to die, nobody was increasing my stock of booze, meaning that everybody was just standing around in the meeting hall dying of thirst and getting ever more miserable. I can't wait until mugs are useful.

Commence Operation Statue Garden: A Marble Block Too Far!

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7972 on: November 15, 2010, 05:58:05 pm »

Added: Also, are all those + on various spots on the ground floors or walls underground? If so, that's quite a lot of work. And did you hide your mine entrance under the flooring on the topmost middle isle? Regardless, it's going to look great once water starts flowing.

The + are where I ordered my military to smooth the entire surface. The flooring covers the barracks and farms. I haven't needed to do much mining for stone due to the northern part being carved out of rock. The kimberlite furniture was made with stuff brought with me.

Yeeeah. Mega-projects are mega-. Also, hee, kimberlite furniture. Nice job indeed.

My expedition leader chopped both arms off a troglodyte ... and then bit it in the foot and shook it around.

:D

Did he bite it in the second foot too? Or did it just bleed out as it was? Or the head? Regardless, an... interesting choice of attack on his part.

Paddleowners is off to a smashing start. Marble and cassiterite out the wazoo, delicious Unicorn Meat to sustain my dwarves, an Accomplished Miner immigrated to complement my original miner, and in the two migrant waves that came before the first caravan (bringing my population to 22, including 3 children) I had no less than 6 highly qualified military dwarves and a High Master Glassmaker. And then my Metalcrafter became possessed, creating a silver bracelet adorned with warthog leather worth 25k dorfbucks a mere days before the caravan arrived with much needed booze!

Well, only 2 barrels, but that should sustain my dwarves while I brew all those plump helmets they brought.

Urist McGemcutter has died of thirst.

What? Well, I guess he was too far away from the caravan. Cut it closer than I-

Urist McPotashmaker has died of thirst.

Hey! WHY ISNT ANYBODY DRINKING! I KNOW THERE'S BOOZE I JUST BOUGHT IT, WH-

Urist McPopular had died of thirst.

WHY ARE YOU JUST SITTING IN MY DINING ROOM GO TO TH-

Urist McLegendaryMiner has died of thirst.

SONOFA-

Urist McWeaponandArmorsmith had died of thirst.

OH GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING

Urist McFatherof3 Has died of thirst.

DRINK YOU DUMB BEARDED SONS OF BITCHES

Urist McAxedwarf is throwing a tantrum!
Urist McAxedwarf has toppled a still!

FUUUUUU-

*ahem*  As it turns out, only having two barrels of booze means that only 2 dwarves will drink at a time, which is no good when 22 dwarves are dehydrated. Since my brewer was one of the first to die, nobody was increasing my stock of booze, meaning that everybody was just standing around in the meeting hall dying of thirst and getting ever more miserable. I can't wait until mugs are useful.

Commence Operation Statue Garden: A Marble Block Too Far!

Impressive. Truly. That's why I tend to turn barrel production into some sort of an assembly line at times. Even when I do, though, it's not enough. It's never enough.

Oh, and that's why I try to base my meeting halls around wells. Either using a murky pool drained into a reservoir regularly or a river or a cavern.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7973 on: November 15, 2010, 06:29:35 pm »

In retrospect, i should have put a higher priority on armor. I've gone through about 20 dwarves in the military so far, from two waves of ambushes and a forgotten beast.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7974 on: November 15, 2010, 06:42:56 pm »

Things have not been going well, as I've already run into multiple problems. First, I can't cut down trees as I accidentally brought along one axe. I guess I forgot to replace it with a training axe, as I was trying to free up points to take along more Earth Golems. So I couldn't cut down trees, as my soldier is holding the axe. I figured it would just be as simple as having him chop down trees, but for some reason he refuses to do so. So fuck it, I'll have to do without wood until the caravan arrives and brings me another axe.

I've done this, too, and I've found a way to deal with it: deconstruct your embarking wagon, get three pieces of wood. Use one to build a carpenter shop, the others to make training axes.

Wipedchannels is, oddly enough, at peace. Right now all hands are hauling as much food as possible as my butchers trim the livestock populations a little. And another cat got into the danger room, with the usual results. This must be the only fort ever to need to import cats.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 06:51:01 pm by proxn_punkd »

Adultratedhydra

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a hydralisk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7975 on: November 15, 2010, 09:03:25 pm »

I Decided to set a challenge and Have made more of a hunting lodge than fort. Tried to limit the dwarf pop to starting seven but afew more came anyway so its evened out now.

...Had to settle in a land full of elephants. Atleast the crafts are worth alot.
If violence isnt solving your problem then add magma.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7976 on: November 15, 2010, 09:05:22 pm »

tantrum spiral  :(

also my doctors are incompetent  >:(

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7977 on: November 15, 2010, 09:11:17 pm »

I am on a different computer, so new fort.

This fort will end up using a volcano to tap a frozen river, and expanding the volcano bowl all the down to the magma sea to make it more square.

For aesthetics.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: November 15, 2010, 10:27:20 pm »

Early Spring of 301 in the outpost of GoldFence, pop. 7;  FPS 89(33)

Nestled on the side of a peaceful valley carved by a stream that flows through it, is the new outpost of GoldFence. We've been sent here by the miner's guild on a mission to coax the wealth of the earth from these parts. With us are four miners, two farmers and a lumberjack.

The land presents a nearly ideal setting for the architect's blueprint for a standard fortress entrance. We have carved out the main defensive hallway, The Hall of Sorrows, which leads to the trade depot. Next to the trade depot are the food storage, dining hall, and further up the Principal Gardens, our four-plot indoor fields. Two are currently being planted with plump helmets and sweet pods, so that when the autumn caravan arrives, we'll have some bargaining power.

Spoiler: GoldFence (click to show/hide)

Aban spent the day with a fishing pole, and came back with the glum report that there is nothing to catch in these swamps. Update! Five lungfish and a raw shad later, we definitely have some fishing going on. The river is too far south for safe fishing, so we'll carve an indoor pool for fishing and watching the nyads dance.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 10:46:37 pm by AngleWyrm »

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: November 15, 2010, 10:28:03 pm »

I accidentally flooded a huge empty area by digging into the brook. I eventually managed to seal off the giant section.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 3842