Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107107 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7935 on: November 14, 2010, 10:50:12 pm »

THOSE FUCKING BUZZARDS

Things were going relatively well until they showed up. I had forgotten just how fucking annoying they are. A swarm of them flew onto the map, and immediately they made a beeline right for the food stockpile. Before I even noticed several of them were already in close proximity to the food. I ordered my soldier to stand guard, but not before several buzzards made off with many plump helmets. But more were coming, so my soldier still had a job to do. He and his earth golem fought well, smashing and slashing several of the buzzards and scaring others off. But there are so many god damn buzzards that when they were off fighting some, more would swoop in and steal food.

Still, my soldier fought  bravely and did well considering the circumstances. I was proud of him. So of course he had to go and fuck this up. In true Townbrush fashion, he flung himself into the ocean and drowned like a moron.

So now I have significantly less food, a dead soldier, and no protection beyond a war earth golem and two untrained ones. While certainly powerful, they lack direction so their ability to protect my dwarves is limited. I guess I'll have to deal with any threats by piling civilians on them until they collapse.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7936 on: November 14, 2010, 11:30:53 pm »

Kraken, I feel your pain.

Why must Armok hate you so?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7937 on: November 15, 2010, 12:09:25 am »

How to play matchmaker? The commander and a speardwarf in his squad spar together so often, they could be a couple. And a sexy couple they'd make, too; both badass and buff warriors. But no, they're not lovers. She still has no friends in spite of all the naturally friendly soul attributes and personality traits, high social skills, and spending a few years as captain of the guard, which is a position that tends to accumulate many friends over the term.

Perhaps too focused on training? If I take her off duties to get her to hang out more, 'she is self disciplined' enough to use the time for combat drills. And maybe they're both hardened enough to be emotionally numb ('doesn't really care about anything anymore.')

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7938 on: November 15, 2010, 12:12:22 am »

Hmm, Mr Kraken, as undwarfy as this may sound... But maybe you should consider investing in safety rails for your dwarves. You never know, it could help keep your stuff off the ocean floor at least.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7939 on: November 15, 2010, 12:30:09 am »

Hmm, Mr Kraken, as undwarfy as this may sound... But maybe you should consider investing in safety rails for your dwarves. You never know, it could help keep your stuff off the ocean floor at least.

I tried that once. They don't work, at all. I have no clue why, but solid walls don't prevent dwarves from dodging through them into the ocean. I only put walls around certain buildings to protect them from flying enemies (wall around food because of god damn buzzards).

Revenge is sweet though. More buzzards came and tried to steal food. Luckily new migrants came, and the soldiers were able to fend them off. I breached the caverns soon after, which was nice since I was able to do quite early on. The caverns look a lot less pleasant than the surface though. Skeletal kruelers and a giant skeletal olm. Luckily, none of them appear to be able to reach the farms so I shouldn't have to worry about them.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7940 on: November 15, 2010, 12:48:14 am »

Was it walls or fortifications? Never actually seen dwarves dodge through either before, but I guess fortifications they might be able to. I guess another solution if you have a spare reaction, is a swimming training reaction. Afterall your dwarves are living on the ocean it'd be reasonable to assume that they'd spend some time learning to swim.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7941 on: November 15, 2010, 01:32:10 am »

Apparently the Orcs and Cobalds of my world are at war; even their merchants flee at the very site of one-another. This is going to make trade difficult unless I start a war with one of them...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7942 on: November 15, 2010, 01:35:57 am »

Was it walls or fortifications? Never actually seen dwarves dodge through either before, but I guess fortifications they might be able to. I guess another solution if you have a spare reaction, is a swimming training reaction. Afterall your dwarves are living on the ocean it'd be reasonable to assume that they'd spend some time learning to swim.

Solid walls. Not sure why but they don't do shit when it comes to dodging, so fuck em. As for training swimming, I was considering modding in some way to do that but never got around to it. Currently the only methods I've found to train it in vanilla DF are unreliable at best and a source of fun at worst. When I tried to make a swimming room in Townbrush I flooded the mines and caverns, so I'm not exactly keen on the idea of trying again.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7943 on: November 15, 2010, 01:48:43 am »

Solid walls. Not sure why but they don't do shit when it comes to dodging, so fuck em. As for training swimming, I was considering modding in some way to do that but never got around to it. Currently the only methods I've found to train it in vanilla DF are unreliable at best and a source of fun at worst. When I tried to make a swimming room in Townbrush I flooded the mines and caverns, so I'm not exactly keen on the idea of trying again.

What exactly did you do to create a swimming room? I find it fairly simple; create two equally sized rooms, one connected to a water source with a floodgate and another for the training area, with 1 door between them (not a floodgate or bridge), then add one extra tile to the water storage area. Then dig a third room two to three times as large for a drain if you can't come up with a different method to drain it. Don't pressurize it and always have a ramp with a hatch cover (locked during use) for an escape route. The only things that could go seriously wrong is that you A) forget to close the door/floodgate blocking the storage room to it's source or B) forget to let your dwarves out and they starve/dehydrate/go insane/something else. I'm planning on doing this again myself since the center of my map has a brook and a dozen pools surrounding it.

And in other news: A herd of deer wandered into the fort, so i locked them in what were about to become the bedrooms. I really need to get in there and cage them.
Problem: I opened the first door to create a second door at the other end of the hall to build the cage traps safely and without them escaping, and one of the deer charged the dorf who came to do it. It ran off leaving him completely unharmed, but he became 'unhappy', and then immediately became 'very unhappy' when he decided to fall asleep right behind the new door. At least he kept them away while someone came to finish.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 01:56:14 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7944 on: November 15, 2010, 02:46:44 am »

Playing adventure mode for now, getting to know the beasts and dangers of the land and evaluate them. Looks like I'm going to defend my forts better after that foray into adventure mode.

Also, Mr. Kraken, where's that LP you spoke of? Gotta read that.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7945 on: November 15, 2010, 08:06:41 am »

I am on my 1st aquifer embark.  Right now I have 3 miners down in a pit, up to their knees in water, frantically smoothing walls while my female brewmaster is running like crazy on the screw pump, trying to keep them from drowning, above their heads (Dianna Workedsweltered - oddly appropriate).  What I find interesting is that all of the loose gypsum and limonite that was in the flooded pit has formed a pile at the base of the pump (suction I guess). 
Ancient Avatar

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7946 on: November 15, 2010, 09:25:10 am »

I am building/carving a chain of islands. For this purpose I've embarked in a desert with plenty of empty space.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7947 on: November 15, 2010, 09:28:03 am »

Embarked. Kept a log. Found bitominous coal and iron.

Dug. Found magma on the first level of a cavern. Figured I'd save but I wanted to butcher a cat first, so he wouldn't have time to adopt anyone if I forgot to do it for a second later.

Game crashed.

Shat myself and kicked a baby.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7948 on: November 15, 2010, 10:20:44 am »

Just discovered that one of the Ñs in my fortress is stealing my dwarves' extremities. Need to figure out how to fix that.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7949 on: November 15, 2010, 10:34:45 am »

Make a slab, carve the Ñ's name on it, build it. ~s are superstitious things, they'll only possess Ns that are relatively unknown.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 3842