Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107101 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7920 on: November 14, 2010, 04:17:10 am »

The last two moods in Cavechampions created "short skirts". Maybe the newly arrived Queen will want to wear them when she goes to visit the 80+ dwarves confined to bed from a syndrome, see if that inspires any of the slackers to recover and get back to work.

Depending on the material, those could be useful, because they layer over greaves/leggings but under robes, giving you an extra layer.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: November 14, 2010, 10:13:39 am »

Finished my magma pump stack and once again forgott that pumps don't work with stairs of any kind on the input tile. this ought to be fun to fix...

Goblins also launched a siege and slaugthered the liason.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: November 14, 2010, 10:17:44 am »

My 18 dwarves, 270k dwarfbucks fortress is under attack by four goblin squads and one kobold squad. :o
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: November 14, 2010, 10:46:01 am »

Being one of the few people who migrated from adventure mode to dwarf mode with .17 instead of the other way around, I've started off my new fort making some newbie mistakes.

I was trying to make an area exposed to the open air by my butcher, so if stuff rotted before dwarves could get to it, I could at least save it from producing miasma, however, an error while channelling caused my second-best miner to fall through, smashing through the dug out area below, going straight through in to the sleeping quarters two levels below, landing on some poor sleeping dwarf and crushing him. The miner broke all of his limbs and horribly bruised both his upper and lower body, while the sleeping dwarf got away with fewer bruises and no broken bones (His bedroom is covered in blood, though). The miner is probably done for, as my medical team currently consist of a novice diagnostician and a novice bone doctor, but hey, Fun.

Edit: Scratch that, the miner, who I now figure out is actually my best and only legendary miner, got up, promptly healed every bruise he had, and got to work detailing the stone in the dining room. His arms and legs are broken, but he isn't bothered by it. Despite his attribute for handling pain being below average. I will have to reward this dwarf suitably.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 11:23:10 am by Ringmaster »

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7924 on: November 14, 2010, 11:46:13 am »

My fort is currently unplayable because of the weapon trap crash bug. It crashes 1-2 seconds after loading the save, from which I can deduct that there's a hidden snatcher or ambush party right at my fort's gates that step on a weapon trap as soon as the save loads.

Now to wait for .18 :/
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7925 on: November 14, 2010, 02:12:26 pm »

My first fortress in .17, and it appears to be The Fortress That Armok Hates. I've had goblin seigies, endless kobold thieves, idiot dwarves using all the barrels for food rather than booze and dying of thirst during the winter. To save the fortress, we dug down to the caverns for water, which opened the doors for all sorts of icky subterranian creatures to come up and wreck shit. A Troll made a name for himself (literally) by kicking the shit out of my dwarves (figuratively), until I managed to lock him in my dining hall and he got kicked to death by a horse (inexplicably). I have about a dozen dwarves in hospital due to the goblin seiges, some with superficial wounds, some with permenant damage, and the only doctor's prior medical experience is as a Competant Diagnostician. I used all my iron bars for a quantum artifact made by a weaponsmith, but it only ended up being a seratted disc. I also got a pine mug. Attempts to draw a Giant Cave Spider to the surface into my cage traps got both my miners (themselves replacements for previous dead miners) webbed and killed. A tantruming miner murdered one of the bedridden military dwarves. A tantrum spiral might be beginning.  Nobody has any skill in their field of work because the original dwarves doing those jobs are all dead and sealed underground because I'm not sure what happens if I bury them improperly.

And I am loving every moment.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7926 on: November 14, 2010, 02:22:38 pm »

my just appointed captain of the guard smashed the hand of the chief medical dwarf, then proceeded to smash the leg of the manager, blocking the fortress to an halt.

then got injured in a siege.

it was just a chance, but I love to spot malice in the chief medical dwarf botching the surgery on him...

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: November 14, 2010, 02:25:00 pm »

Three warriors bled to death walking through 1/7 water -- fuck that! Holyhellfuckingno!

Enough bugginess makes cheating acceptible. If you decide to suck it up and roll with it, that can be admirable, but everyone has a limit to how much screwage they can take. And if you decide to annul it, of course that's cheating, but who can blame you?

How many kinds of injustice is this? I get an unlimited chain of suffering in the wake of a victory! That was a fucking win, we fought that battle, took our casualties and paid a hell of a price already. So fuck a five year old smear of extract turning into a goddamn pool and somehow getting into the mouth of every dwarf who walks across it. Fuck the population-wide barefootedness in spite of all the shoes and boots manufactured. Wash it away with a hack and a savescum, I'm not going to accept this shit anymore.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7928 on: November 14, 2010, 02:33:59 pm »

After deliberately building a fortress on the border of several world regions and savage ocean biomes, and then spending years straining the ocean through large numbers of cage traps, the fortress of Bannerflier finally has a pair of sea serpents captured.  Now I shall begin phase 2:  captive breeding and supplying *sea serpent roasts* to the world.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: November 14, 2010, 08:03:16 pm »

I have a huge lake in the middle of my map so I am going to try what any great dwarf with a lake does make a clear glass under water fort.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: November 14, 2010, 08:28:23 pm »

My molten magma lake(Underneath the meeting hall) is melting carp.
They try to swim into the well, and get scorched by superheated water.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

PWRFLSTRGN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7931 on: November 14, 2010, 08:40:56 pm »

Thanks Monk and imiknorris! also, as to what's going on in my fort, I've discovered the spike trap bug i've heard rumours of. looks like i'm training my military the old fashioned way.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: November 14, 2010, 09:22:14 pm »

The Beetlecreatures Biodome is continuing. This is turning into a nightmare of a project, adding the fact that the goblins are already milling about.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: November 14, 2010, 09:22:28 pm »

Well Townbrush is still technically alive, but it's basically dead to me. If I ever do go back to it, all I'm going to get are two dead Dwarves over the course of the next month. So I've decided to move on.

Since I'm also starting an LP, I have to play two forts at the same time, which is something I've never done before. Of course, I'm only going to recount the details of non-lp fort; Granitepainted.

I generated a rather interesting world. Right in the middle was a massive terrifying ocean. Biggest one I've ever seen, and it stretched through multiple different biomes. I was having a hard time choosing were to settle. I was debating settling on the terrifying desert, but I didn't want to go into absolute murder so soon after Townbrush. I settled on something much calmer; a serene swamp resting next to the terrifying ocean. So I'll get a mix of wonderful creatures of nature and abominations of darkness.

Thins have not been going well, as I've already run into multiple problems. First, I can't cut down trees as I accidentally brought along one axe. I guess I forgot to replace it with a training axe, as I was trying to free up points to take along more Earth Golems. So I couldn't cut down trees, as my soldier is holding the axe. I figured it would just be as simple as having him chop down trees, but for some reason he refuses to do so. So fuck it, I'll have to do without wood until the caravan arrives and brings me another axe. Second problem is that the ocean has no fucking fish in it. This must be a glitch, because it makes no god damn sense. This is three embarks I've been on in which the ocean was depleted of fish in less than seconds.

Aside from that, this fort looks to be faring much better than Townbrush. Even my lp fort is in a more dangerous area. It has zombie conchmen and hippos living in the river. The only wildlife I've seen at Granitepainted are adorable little snailmen. I must admit I have a soft spot for them, since they were a common animal in one of my first "successful" forts. That was back when I actually embarked on mountains and lives underground.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

DumbfoundedElf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: November 14, 2010, 09:58:10 pm »

I'm currently scared half to death since I started one a wasteland/badland with no tress or plants what so ever, which is my base for almost EVERYTHING.

I hate not being observant.
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 3842