Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107120 times)

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7950 on: November 15, 2010, 10:57:22 am »

Unfortunately, I can't do that. The Ñ's name doesn't show up when I try. :/
It's very annoying, too - it killed my last two engravers, probably as some manner of self-defense.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7951 on: November 15, 2010, 11:03:16 am »

Just discovered that one of the Ñs in my fortress is stealing my dwarves' extremities. Need to figure out how to fix that.

one of the known one, or you can embark on actual bandit camps and actual N lairs?

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7952 on: November 15, 2010, 11:12:54 am »

My latest embark had me go absolutely crazy with detail. In my fey mood I looked up the civilizations and history of my area first, along with neighboring civilizations and my (distant) one. I came up witha  story as to why I was embarking, decided the story was written from one of the dwarf's point of view, and started writing logs.

The group is Stealstances. I was prepared, chose a place with wood, basically no enemies, sand, soil, a sedimentary layer for iron ore and coal, and high pride. the first few months were great.

And then the aquifer...

I knew about it, sure. But I thought I'd be able to mine around it. as long as I get a single tile to go through without water I can get to the iron. I can build my entire fortress underneath it, it'll be great. But no... the damn aquifer... is the entire layer. I can't make a mechanism. I can't make a quern. I can't make crap with anything but wood because of a stinking aquifer, with a fricken square mile or so exploratory digging (4x4 area entirely with downstairs).

So the short story is that I went into a fey mood, I didn't get the materials I wanted, and thus I went into meloncholy and abandoned the fortress.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7953 on: November 15, 2010, 12:00:04 pm »

Castles are cool.

I just recruited one.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7954 on: November 15, 2010, 12:53:37 pm »

I tried a poorly-considered and executed upgrade to .17. Had to go back for the playability, and found that I lost only a season, but that was a far more productive season than I thought. I had seven whole new workshops, another military squad and 16 more apartments. I have no idea where I had put these immigrants, because I hadn't even moved anyone into them, yet found beds for them all plus a few grown children.

I still got good commander material in this load of immigrants, a few improving recruits can move to combat units and a few losers can get into training. The projects I'd finished could be slightly better designed and faster built. I'm just going to miss out on features that I'm probably not going to use for a long time anyway.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7955 on: November 15, 2010, 01:08:32 pm »

Just discovered that one of the Ñs in my fortress is stealing my dwarves' extremities. Need to figure out how to fix that.

one of the known one, or you can embark on actual bandit camps and actual N lairs?
It's a white one. Don't know about camps, but I have embarked on emptied-out Ñ lairs.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7956 on: November 15, 2010, 01:33:52 pm »

My latest embark had me go absolutely crazy with detail. In my fey mood I looked up the civilizations and history of my area first, along with neighboring civilizations and my (distant) one. I came up witha  story as to why I was embarking, decided the story was written from one of the dwarf's point of view, and started writing logs.

The group is Stealstances. I was prepared, chose a place with wood, basically no enemies, sand, soil, a sedimentary layer for iron ore and coal, and high pride. the first few months were great.

And then the aquifer...

I knew about it, sure. But I thought I'd be able to mine around it. as long as I get a single tile to go through without water I can get to the iron. I can build my entire fortress underneath it, it'll be great. But no... the damn aquifer... is the entire layer. I can't make a mechanism. I can't make a quern. I can't make crap with anything but wood because of a stinking aquifer, with a fricken square mile or so exploratory digging (4x4 area entirely with downstairs).

So the short story is that I went into a fey mood, I didn't get the materials I wanted, and thus I went into meloncholy and abandoned the fortress.

In such a case I'd wait for the first dwarven caravan and get some mechanisable metal. As long as you have an anvil, the rest is magic. Though I don't know what you would need a mechanism for in breaching an aquifer.
Just in case, there're several ways:
Way one, channel out a square, at least 3x3, and build pumps that draw from it. If necessary, make it a pump stack and extend it to the surface. That's where a mechanism could be useful - powering it with windmills is a good idea. If you have stone on the edge of the map, awesome - carve a fortification in the edge tile and voila, you have an infinidrain. If not, just drain it off the map on the surface. While pumps pump, masons extend a staircase down into the drained square and wall off the edges. Voila, you have a passage through the aquifer. If it's multi-layered, you will need to repeat the process.
Way two, earth rings. Much easier and much more efficient. Channel out rings of soil and drop them one by one into the channeled-out aquifer. But in my (somewhat limited, but still present) experience, dropping larger, at least 3-tile rings is the most useful. My one-tile rings broke up in at least one place and let water in. Three-tile and more rings don't do that, since you will always have at least one tile safe for digging. You can also drop whole slabs if you have a one-z aquifer, then carve out however many staircases you want in it. Just wait for the displaced water to recede.
Oh, and hold the slabs in place using a constructed wooden floor line one z above the slab. Put a wall on the slab, put a wall some tiles away from the edge, connect using a floor. Deconstruct the wall on the solid ground for 'detonation'.

Castles are cool.

I just recruited one.

I had an image of a castle following you for a few moments. Now that would've been awesome.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7957 on: November 15, 2010, 02:00:51 pm »

As .17 has been released, I tried to do a new fort. I felt like I went around everything I could do with a normal one, so I tried something else this time. Seven peasants, twenty dogs, two separated aquifer layers (this oughta be fun), a war with goblins, and an aim to build a fortress entirely out of glass ! Preferably with rooms hanging in the canyons where rivers roam. Groupwound (yes, groupwound ...) is off to a promising start !

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7958 on: November 15, 2010, 02:07:27 pm »

Okay, the Forgotten Beast with deadly venom? Good, looks like it only infected the dwarf he tore the leg off of. It must require an actual injury to take effect so I should be safe HAHA JUST KIDDING PET ROTSPLOSION

TheChosen

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: November 15, 2010, 02:26:14 pm »

Just getting back to DF again, but last time I played I tried to build a frontier town in a desert. And yes, with actual buildings. That didnt work too well though, as the only wood around were cacti, and they were scarce. It was enough for couple of buildings, like huge saloon, mayors home/office, sheriff's place and couple of workshops.

Then we had another problem: water. Of course, since its a hot desert most of the small water sources eventually dry up and there's no river. In desperation I ordered to dig down and down, until we'll find water. Eventually, underground cavern was discovered, which was rich of minerals, water flowing everywhere and there even was trees! Unfortunately, there was not a single fish in the water, so we had no food source. Fortunately, traders stopped by and with the riches of the deep, we managed to purchase enough food to survive 'till the next traders.

Before we hit the cavern, we found a source of gold, wich pretty much solified the frontier feeling. A bit of gold was used to build a statue, which became the center-point of our humble village. Not much else though, as we needed all the wood for building.

Then, from the edge of the map in the underground, Troglodyte arrived. They scared off miners and woodcutters, but fortunately they were pretty weak. Soon they well all chased down and slaughtered, filling the caves with miasma.

And it was all downhill from there. I eventually got bit greedy and wanted more gems. I saw more spots, but I had to dig a lot to get there. Then, we found a giant spiders nest. It quickly dispatched our miner and it killed the cavalry. One dwarf managed to get a lucky shot, and the rest of the cavalry-for-the-cavalry killed it. Then, we spotted a troll who proceeded to slaughter rest of the military. Feeling cocky, I sented more dwarfs and you can guess the results. My frontier spirit was beaten to a pulp and I gave up.

I'l have to try it again though. Next time I'l bring wood of my own.
TheChosen cancels Mega-project: Too sane

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7960 on: November 15, 2010, 02:54:34 pm »

Spoiler: Big image (click to show/hide)

So I'm about two-thirds of the way done with my island chain. I figure I can carve the large remaining mass into four more islands. Any ideas as to where to cut?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: November 15, 2010, 03:02:21 pm »

Spoiler: Big image (click to show/hide)

So I'm about two-thirds of the way done with my island chain. I figure I can carve the large remaining mass into four more islands. Any ideas as to where to cut?

This is fucking awesome.

And where to cut... hmm... make an elegant curving cut around the left-uppermost quarter, a cut through the pond or, if you want to keep the pond, not far from it, branching into a cut going to the western riverbed under a slight upwards angle?

Added: Also, are all those + on various spots on the ground floors or walls underground? If so, that's quite a lot of work. And did you hide your mine entrance under the flooring on the topmost middle isle? Regardless, it's going to look great once water starts flowing.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 03:09:58 pm by NewSheoth »
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

xeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7962 on: November 15, 2010, 03:03:16 pm »

There was a coup in my fort last night.

Urist McOriginalMayor had held that position since the first wave of immigrants arrived. The original 7 were working-class types and had no interest in politics, so this dwarf was volunteered. He had the highest social stats required for the office.

He served nobly as both mayor and broker for 2 highly successful years, until last night. He was voted out of office while I wasn't looking, and the first inkling I had that something was wrong was a message..

"Urist McOriginalMayor has been struck down"

"Oh god, what got past the gates..?!" I think, and zoom to the location. Had goblins snuck in? Did I miss a fey mood? Ninjas?

Indeed, the mayor was dead. Killed by the new mayor as he slept. (At least, I assume he was sleeping.. he was killed in his bedroom)

I had no idea such things could happen, and I laughed my a** off.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: November 15, 2010, 03:10:03 pm »

Also, Mr. Kraken, where's that LP you spoke of? Gotta read that.

It's one I'm just starting, and I haven't actually posted it yet. I'm going to be running it over on the Escapist since one o my goals is to introduce new people to Dwarf Fortress. I'm aiming to get the first update done today though. I have the introduction and prologue finished, by writing about the game is probably going to be the most difficult part.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: November 15, 2010, 03:10:41 pm »

Also, Mr. Kraken, where's that LP you spoke of? Gotta read that.

It's one I'm just starting, and I haven't actually posted it yet. I'm going to be running it over on the Escapist since one o my goals is to introduce new people to Dwarf Fortress. I'm aiming to get the first update done today though. I have the introduction and prologue finished, by writing about the game is probably going to be the most difficult part.

Do be sure to post a link once it is up.
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 3842