Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124459 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6765 on: October 08, 2010, 09:30:30 pm »

The clowns are not impressed with my waterfalls running down through my dining hall to my crossroads (named Swordhall). They've (rather tactfully) taken out only the two gears necessary to disable all seven waterfalls.

Oh, and the 5 dwarves still alive are all running about willy-nilly like. Fun!
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: October 08, 2010, 09:35:01 pm »

One of my Haulers got possessed and took over a magma forge. I could use a legendary weapon or armor smith, and he could probably use a promotion, but no, it had to be a possessed mood. I thought I should get a good weapon out of this, at least. He picked up the pig iron. Wtf weapon are you going to make out of pig iron? And silk?

This better be good, or I'm going to set his only job to furnace operator, set the profile to him only, and make him melt it down himself.

EDIT: Oh, an enormous pig iron corkscrew, just what I always wanted. With a cave silk image of a fly. I should find some way to add this to his room, since he loves flies so much.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:38:26 pm by Dok Enkephalin »

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: October 08, 2010, 09:38:13 pm »

One of my Haulers got possessed and took over a magma forge. I could use a legendary weapon or armor smith, and he could probably use a promotion, but no, it had to be a possessed mood. I thought I should get a good weapon out of this, at least. He picked up the pig iron. Wtf weapon are you going to make out of pig iron? And silk?

This better be good, or I'm going to set his only job to furnace operator, set the profile to him only, and make him melt it down himself.

Have him jump in after it.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: October 08, 2010, 09:41:16 pm »

GIMME THE SAVE AND/OR I WILL CREATE AN ADVENTURER TO STEAL IT.

here ya go: http://depositfiles.com/files/vkz9p6vf4

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: October 08, 2010, 09:44:23 pm »

Strange mood from a metal crafter; he likes spears, and went for a gold bar first.

another legendary weaponsmith? fuck yeah.

EDIT: GOLD TOY FUCKING BOAT FUCK WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK IT HAS AN IMAGE OF ITSELF FUCKING SHIT
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:59:01 pm by !!crundle!! »
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: October 08, 2010, 09:45:12 pm »

Resupply of food, booze and raw materials will be controlled via airlocked interstitial stockpiles.
Or you could just use burrows and confine them to that one. Set their stockpiles to take from other similar stockpiles and dedicated haulers will bring it to them; especially handy if both stockpiles accept max bins/barrels, as everything will be transported in bulk. Then leave an outgoing stockpile of bins/barrels that an outside stockpile would take from. This is how I keep my hospital staff inside their zones.

The only things they'd try to leave their jobs for that you can't turn off is hauling items to Depot, then simply forbid their doors temporarily.

I'm using the airlock system to keep the masterwork containers (barrels, bins and bags) from getting hijacked for storage. I've kept the few bins I've completed out of circulation by forbidding them, but this is only a very short term solution.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: October 08, 2010, 09:50:13 pm »

Just figured out what was causing my dwarves to stop pathing up their spiral rampway to food, causing them all to sit in their rooms blinking hungry/thirsty.  Turns out I carved a rampway the opposite way so that they could all get down to their rooms, but no one could go back up, oops.  That's fixed now and my dwarves are now once again carving out their meager lives into the side of a Terrifying volcano.  Yay for harpies!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: October 08, 2010, 10:06:15 pm »

A hauler made an adamantine sarcophagus. It's decorated with lapis lazuli. It has the elf Aye Gravellakes on it in adamantine.
I sure hope he isn't an elf enthusiast.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: October 08, 2010, 10:43:15 pm »

Spoiler: Death of a Hunter (click to show/hide)

My hunter learned that while fire imps are easy enough prey, fire men should not be tangled with. Hope the other six like eating plants.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Daibus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: October 08, 2010, 10:44:46 pm »

Decided my dwarves were dairy dwarfs so embarked with around 7 cows and a bull, a milker/cheesmaker and others for general mining/making and crafting. I now have 60 or so cows, chained into three sectores, 8 farmers workshops, six to do the milking and two to make cheese whenever there's enough milk.

When/if I can be bothered, I'll set up some butchers, at the moment all the bulls are in a cage, with 2 roaming free, spreading their spores....
Somethings we do for no reason, others simply because we care.

Xerillum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6775 on: October 08, 2010, 10:50:40 pm »

The Ark is coming along nicely, it has space to sustain 50 people now, and a stonecrafter strange mooded. I got a crown with an engraving of the stonecrafter killing a kobold, made out of that kobold's bones. In other news, my magmariffic trade depot is up and running.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: October 09, 2010, 12:03:01 am »

I altered the landscape so that the local waterfall sort of fans out before dropping a z level.  B/c the water lowers to depths of 1 and 2, muddy patches appear briefly, and sometimes bushes or saplings will take root right at the edge of the falls.  I sent a dwarf out to gather from one of these of bushes, and before he can harvest it, the water will invariably push him over the edge and stun him. Then he swims to the ramp and tries again.  I'm going to see if drowns like an idiot or ends up a legendary swimmer. 

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6777 on: October 09, 2010, 06:16:10 am »

Helmlobsters is going down the tubes, but slowly and painfully.  99 dwarves, then 93, then 120, now 110. Migrants are just about balancing out stupidity.

No less than three previous caravans have arrived just before, at the same time as, or right after a goblin ambush, and hiding behind my walls and looting afterwards has given me a wide range of stuff, most of it useless.

"The elven caravan has arrived" - Yay! I can pawn off the hundreds of gold crafts I've been churning out. And the dozens of "<<+Giant Bat Leather Loincloth+>>" I seem to have (not as scary as the "XXGiant Bat Leather LoinclothXX" someone is wandering around holding...). And get some plants, as we're a little short on greens.

Then one, two, three, four, five (!) ambushes.  Two of them fall under my Bridge of Doom (after scaring off the merchants), one peppers a cat and a clueless Clothier with bolts then leaves, and most of four and five meet the Bridge and are flung places.  Mostly underwater, and they drown.

But three goblins (maces, for the most part) end up on little isolated areas with no access on or off (wall on one side, water on the others).  Either side of my main bridge.  Two have mostly red body parts, and one is just chilling.  Dwarves refuse to cross the bridge 'cos of the goblins!  I try everything, but my crossbow squad refuse to fire, except for the Very Unhappy one, but he doesn't hit anyone (I think he was a friend of the Clothier, though his personality description makes him sounds like an axe murderer).  End up tunnelling under the water, around a few corners and through a wall into the wounded two, who still manage to put one of my militia in hospital before going down.  The one on the other side still blocks all traffic with the outside world, except for my emergency tunnel.  After planning his demise in detail, including building a catapult on the other side, and gathering all squads around his enclosure, I deconstruct part of the wall, and he rushes out into the only cage trap left empty.

While this was happening, my only decent stonecrafter gets possessed and goes mad just as the last goblin is dealt with.  Fortunately, with the entire military standing there, he got one punch in on a hunting dog before being sliced in half.  With all the looting, I think I have everything he might want, so confused about that.

To punish the captured goblins (all 36 of them), they go in a chamber next to the magma forge plumbing.  With all the crundles and plump helmet men there too, I stockpile a few obsidian at the entrance, and send in someone to carve holes.  Meanwhile, legendary miner Urist McF-wit decides to go on break in a small isolated room, crammed with caged goblins, right next to the volcano.  I notice him there just as the magma starts flowing.  Mason starts building the wall, and I wait for McF-wit to do something.  No.  Just sits there until magma sets his feet on fire, then he runs a few steps, and then settles back down for a warm lava bath.  Why? I set him a path to tunnel out, but, no.  I'm calling it suicide...

Meanwhile, best engraving is of the death of the one-humped camel during the rampage of an ettin.  Ettin was beating the camel with a "<<Toy Larch Boat>>", doing minor damage, and then would be exhausted.  Camel would then get enraged and fail to hurt ettin.  This went on for so long, I unsealed the fortress and sent out the dwarves to loot the rest of the caravan close to the battle.  I'd forgotten about it after 10 minutes or so, until the ettin finally killed the camel, and promptly walked into a cage trap. I've got four of them now.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Duriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: October 09, 2010, 07:24:42 am »

A Bronze Colossus arrived at Crystalroses.

This might end badly.

EDIT: Um, wow. Apparently swarming a BC with champions and dozens of war animals is a viable tactic. All I lost was a war Gorilla.

And looking at the combat report, it turns out one of the Swordmasters sliced him in half. It looks like my entire military consists of badasses. :o
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 07:35:04 am by Duriel »
An invisible lurker.

I have a YouTube channel!

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: October 09, 2010, 07:32:23 am »

Following the appearance and subsequent slaying of a forgotten beast, Darkmeadow has been thrown into a crisis. Members of the strike squad was infected, and several of their pets died. This was followed by more dwarven deaths, and the fortress is now in a full blown tantrum spiral. The King has gathered a group of 15 dwarves in the noble quarters, and they have been walled and grated off from the rest of the fortress. The noble quarters have a small emergency storage of drink and food, but there's no weapons or water supplies. Best case scenario, the fortress residents will kill each other off and the nobles will survive. Worst case scenario, one of the nobles will go nuts and kill off the other survivors.

Meanwhile, my Baron/Captain of the Guard is doing a great job of defending himself against the rest of the dwarves, and he hasn't gone nuts yet. Yet.
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 3842