Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124470 times)

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6750 on: October 08, 2010, 07:19:31 am »

Uh, what? Okay. Let's check the civilization screen then. "Menungdur - The Excavated Empires - Human". Ah, I see. My constant seizing of the human caravans have caused them to send a lemur fiend to negotiate with me. Interesting.

My subsequent attack on the Law-Giver resulted with one of my axedwarves getting her leg torn off. We won in the end, but suffered some heavy injuries.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 07:25:31 am by Serio »

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: October 08, 2010, 10:46:13 am »

Just had two first moods at Fieryarrows brewery both weaponsmiths :o

Now have two super maces!

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: October 08, 2010, 12:51:54 pm »

I was spoiled by the elves from my
previous fort, who brought me all manners
of exotic beast. What did Copperparched
find in the first elf caravan? A wolf and a bloody raccoon. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU-

I have decided upon a mini-megaproject: The Reliquary. I intend to fashion, forge and fabricate every possible craft, piece of furniture, weapon, article of clothing out of every possible material (available to my fort) at masterwork quality. I am carving out a multi z-level burrow for this purpose. Once I have the three decorators (a metalcrafter, bonecarver and gem setter) trained up to legendary, they will be given the custom profession of Reliquarian and locked in the burrow behind lever-controlled floodgates and left to decorate the bejeezus out of everything. Resupply of food, booze and raw materials will be controlled via airlocked interstitial stockpiles.

Progress reports to follow.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 12:57:41 pm by caknuck »
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #6753 on: October 08, 2010, 01:12:38 pm »

I finally screwed up my nerve and tackled the new military system. Got it to work to the point that there are a couple of squads training with wooden swords. Woot! (Thanks to  51ppycup and his YouTube tutorials!)

More irritatingly, I had a glassmaker turn up and immediately become possessed. So I had to rush-build not one but two glass furnaces, one for him to claim, and then another to collect the sand and make the glass for him to use. He made a perfect green glass gem.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: October 08, 2010, 01:30:46 pm »

I don't have the FPS counter turned on, but my FPS definitely just dropped by a lot after a siege.  Since Runesmith isn't compatible at the moment, and I didn't have nearly enough dwarfpower to deal with it, I tried raw-editing the goblins to death.  It worked (though my game crashed when I tried to do it to the trolls).

In other news, yesterday I fought my first Titan, some ridiculous web-shooting eyeless dinosaur with a fat trunk.  It wasn't the first Titan to come to the fortress, but the last one ended up getting killed by goblins, so this was the first one my soldiers got to fight.  We won, of course.

I'm running low on iron, as usual.  Lots of magnetite, though, so it's just a matter of time.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6755 on: October 08, 2010, 01:57:19 pm »

Using a danger room to train up a legendary axeman.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: October 08, 2010, 02:55:54 pm »

The Dwarven caravan just arrived and brought 4x Gypsum. My military will be grateful for their support. As a thanks, I sold them over 100 of the stray animals in my stock. Fair trade, right? I also sold them a few of the anvils that the human caravans, *ahem* dropped, when they had to run. I've also finished construction of the quartzite lookout tower, which will be used by the recently established marksdwarves squad. It looks like Darkmeadow might survive another year.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: October 08, 2010, 02:57:57 pm »

Resupply of food, booze and raw materials will be controlled via airlocked interstitial stockpiles.
Or you could just use burrows and confine them to that one. Set their stockpiles to take from other similar stockpiles and dedicated haulers will bring it to them; especially handy if both stockpiles accept max bins/barrels, as everything will be transported in bulk. Then leave an outgoing stockpile of bins/barrels that an outside stockpile would take from. This is how I keep my hospital staff inside their zones.

The only things they'd try to leave their jobs for that you can't turn off is hauling items to Depot, then simply forbid their doors temporarily.

ansel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6758 on: October 08, 2010, 05:08:44 pm »

a few real-world days into my first fort, my butcher becomes possessed by strange forces. having dutifully researched such happenings, I know to examine her skills to see what she might need, and build a new jeweler's workshop accordingly. this seems to satisfy her, and she races around gathering lace agates before entering the workshop. the better part of half a year passes. the first dorf caravan arrives (though I have nothing worth trading), winter comes upon me and the first snow falls, I add fish to the lunch menu in the fort, and fortify the entrance to the stronghold with a wall and moat, and still Tholtig Melbiltishis continues laboring. as I plan out an expanded bedroom section, I begin receiving announcements that one of my dogs is being brutally assaulted. Further examination reveals that the months of ceaseless work have taken their toll on Tholtig, and she has finally gone utterly berserk. remaining calm, I send my mightiest warrior after her, as she leaves the fort and begins chasing my valuable manager around the forest. as I have no weapons, a brief wrestling match and much vomiting ensues -- but the madness is too great, and Kubuk Teshkadedem falls in combat. rallying my troops, I draft the entire fortress into the military and send the mob to enact swift justice... and soon the terror is over.

death toll: two dogs and two dwarves. the fort has seen its first casualties and its first taste of battle, and no enemies have even arrived yet. I fear this is not a good omen.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6759 on: October 08, 2010, 08:07:38 pm »

Things are going very smoothly. I have 58 dwarves in the fortress right now, which is a huge improvement.
My dwarves are rather thirsty, and it is winter so the lakes have frozen, luckily I have plump helmets in production so some drinks will be on the way.
I'm going to work on making my fortress much more attractive through placing of dwarven statues.
Now that I am finished rambling on about nothing, I shall leave you all to your mechanisms. :)

edit: Scratch that, everything just went down the tubes. All my dwarves are dying and the tantrum spiral is just now beginning to end, due to everyone being too weak and/or dead to do anything else.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:29:38 pm by Horizon9 »
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6760 on: October 08, 2010, 08:32:10 pm »

Nothing much-i've just embarked! It's my first time in fort, and the weather is cold, so it'll become fun!

I've dug a corridor into the mountain, and have also dug out a few seperate rooms for Workshops and whatnot. I've been cutting down lots of trees, and i've started stockpiling things (that can be done without barrels, right? Should I make barrels, then put stuff in them?).

Ok, so who wants to predict how i'll end up dying? I'm betting starvation, or single goblin.

Everybody!

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #6761 on: October 08, 2010, 08:46:41 pm »

I second starvation.
 :P

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #6762 on: October 08, 2010, 09:22:20 pm »

I've dug a corridor into the mountain, and have also dug out a few seperate rooms for Workshops and whatnot. I've been cutting down lots of trees, and i've started stockpiling things (that can be done without barrels, right? Should I make barrels, then put stuff in them?).

Yes, you can stockpile without barrels, but using them is much more compact and efficient. If you're short on trees, beds are more important, until you can get a metal industry up and running.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: October 08, 2010, 09:23:42 pm »

This:

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: October 08, 2010, 09:27:19 pm »

GIMME THE SAVE AND/OR I WILL CREATE AN ADVENTURER TO STEAL IT.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 3842