Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124912 times)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6630 on: October 04, 2010, 12:31:35 pm »

So I went and tried to explore Legends mode for the first time, trying to find out some back story behind my dead dwarven civ. I was hoping to make a tell-a-story-whilst-asking-newbie-questions thread documenting my current fortress, now that I found out it belongs to a dead civ. I wanted to weave some sort of believable story about my dwarves escape from a recent slaughter, but it turns out the civ was wiped out in year 32, and my fort was founded in 500, so where the 7+8+8 dwarves (minus one failed mood :( ) came from I don't know.

Presumably some of your Gobbo civs have Dwarven members or slaves, so maybe a bunch of them escaped & decided to resurrect your Civ...

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #6631 on: October 04, 2010, 02:53:56 pm »

After applying the siege's fixed patch, upon loading my save human merchants come yippee!

AMBUSH!

SECOND AMBUSH!

GOBLIN THIEF!

GOBLIN SNATCHER!

bolts and arrows start flying next to my fort entrance, Human's and Goblins taking hits while my weapons only/no skills "military" tries to bash goblins with bronze weapons but are unable to pierce their armor. My mayor who was outside during the event was hit in the leg and one unlucky militiadwarf died. Without help from the merchants there would have been much fun.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Fanklok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Table User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: October 04, 2010, 04:12:00 pm »

One of my masons went all secretive and grabbed some stone and jewels after taking masons shop. I told myself as soon as he claimed it I told myself I'd be pissed if he made a damn door.

So he makes a door, that menaces with spikes which leads me to ask myself how it is in anyway practical till an adventurer gets their hands on it. It is also apparently so kick-ass that it has an imaged of itself in tourmaline on it.
How the hell did you get a table stuck in a guy?
Where did you even GET the table?

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: October 04, 2010, 05:16:17 pm »

I know the point of the guard is to be useless, but I figured that after four years of training 2 out of every 3 months, some of them would've graduated to a real combat unit by now. I really don't want to take more civilians out of their jobs, but I could use a deep garrison to start colonizing the lower caves. Forgotten beasts are getting bored down there.

My hospital staff have been awesome, so I rewarded them with a big new ward, fine lodgings for all, a legendary cafeteria with a dedicated talented chef. Maybe the chief medic will come out of mourning and get laid; her husband was one of the wrestlers who tired himself out fistfighting a giant only to be whacked by goblins.

My mayor has been one of the hardest working dwarves around, so I don't mind when she mandates a few fine pewter items. I keep a few bars in reserve, and when she orders it, I put one piece in her chambers and another where she's sure to come across it. She deserves a promotion to Baron, and hopefully that will keep her out of danger.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: October 04, 2010, 06:15:23 pm »

At last, new Fox kits! The current, non-pup population is 48 Foxes. With 3 pups, we have 51 Foxes!

*Ahem* After a brief break for some Civ V, I've returned to continue my work on draining the entire Magma Sea into the world, at a decent speed. The FOX Head project, part of the Furnace Of eXecutioners fortress.

Edit: 3 more kits: 54 Total
Edit2: 3 more: 57 Foxes.

Edit3: 15 kits. I think I'll stop counting now...
Edit4: I lied. 30 kits. 8 male. (?)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 08:45:07 pm by DrGravitas »

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: October 04, 2010, 09:45:39 pm »

At last, new Fox kits! The current, non-pup population is 48 Foxes. With 3 pups, we have 51 Foxes!

*Ahem* After a brief break for some Civ V, I've returned to continue my work on draining the entire Magma Sea into the world, at a decent speed. The FOX Head project, part of the Furnace Of eXecutioners fortress.

Edit: 3 more kits: 54 Total
Edit2: 3 more: 57 Foxes.

Edit3: 15 kits. I think I'll stop counting now...
Edit4: I lied. 30 kits. 8 male. (?)

Foxsplosion? Also, how is Civ 5? I just got back into Civ 3.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: October 04, 2010, 09:51:52 pm »

My fortress is burning to the ground after a burning cat ran right into my carpentry area.  Which is right next to my coal storage (which, of course, I've modded the coal so it ignites easier - and the veins in the walls can burn).  Which is right next to my kitchen storage, and the fire is already half way through the coal area with 3/4 of the ale still in the kitchen storage room.  With the floors and walls carved out of a coal vein.  Did I mention I modded my coal veins so they can turn into !!Bituminous Coal!! more easily?

This is going to go badly.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6637 on: October 04, 2010, 11:45:50 pm »

On one computer, I have downloaded 31.16, and am refusing to play a new fortress until I think of something interesting to mod in.

On the other, I've been messing around with bullet-creation via modding, and currently have a year-or-so old fortress being used for testing that stuff.

So yeah, mostly just fun with modding. Which I still need more ideas for (no creatures please, can't manage that much complexity yet.)
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #6638 on: October 05, 2010, 12:01:40 am »

Ushrir, the Grand Master Metalsmith/Talented Knife Fighter, just can't seem to make it to Legendary status. Partially, this is because THREE other dwarves have had fey moods, turning them into Legendary metalsmiths.

Last year, I made every single type of food a low priority request to Mountainhome, and as a result have been unable to brew alcohol for nearly a year now. We're getting dangerous low.

This is probably my 8th or 9th fort since I started playing, back in 40d, and this is my first time working with a fuel-based metal & glass industry. I'm definitely having fun learning how to keep a stockpile of fuel going.

I've just moved my hospital to a brand new facility, one level up from the entrance. I'm thinking about channeling it out, so that wounded dwarves, doctors and nurse/maids (dwarves who only feed/water patients and clean) build resistance to cave adaptation. What happens if you channel open the ceiling after you've already built the bed?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 02:21:18 am by Romeofalling »

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6639 on: October 05, 2010, 12:33:56 am »

Ushrir, the Grand Master Metalsmith/Talented Knife Fighter, just can't seem to make it to Legendary status. Partially, this is because THREE other dwarves have had fey moods, turning them into Lengendary metalsmiths.

Last year, I made every single type of food a low priority request to Mountainhome, and as a result have been unable to brew alcohol for nearly a year now. We're getting dangerous low.

This is probably my 8th or 9th fort since I started playing, back in 40d, and this is my first time working with a fuel-based metal & glass industry. I'm definitely having fun learning how to keep a stockpile of fuel going.

I've just moved my hospital to a brand new facility, one level up from the entrance. I'm thinking about channeling it out, so that dwarves wounded dwarves, doctors and nurse/maids (dwarves who only feed/water patients and clean) build resistance to cave adaptation. What happened if you channel open the ceiling after you've already built the bed?

nothing interesting happens, unless you cave it in.  Just make sure Gobbos can't shoot in from above.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6640 on: October 05, 2010, 12:54:29 am »

So I modded in a bunch of crap, including weakening whips and adding dwarven brass knuckles. This should be a very interesting fort.....

Onward to Cloisterglows!
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6641 on: October 05, 2010, 01:00:14 am »

mayor just made a 2.6 million dwarfbuck raw adamatine mechanism.  I was going to put it in his room to tell him how awesome he is, but he was possessed, so its gonna go somewhere else.  Perhaps the BEST WELL EVER.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6642 on: October 05, 2010, 01:59:02 am »

"Engraved on the wall is a masterfully designed image of Urist Tomestree the dwarf by Domas Shedfikod. Urist Tomestree is cooking. The artwork relates to the masterful roast prepared by the dwarf Urist Tomestree for the Ashen League at Darkmeadow in the early winter of 36."

They've defeated the humans, brought down 4 FB's, and reached a population of 210, and the only thing he can think about is a roast created two years earlier?

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6643 on: October 05, 2010, 04:40:58 am »

Nothing wrong with a good sunday roast!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6644 on: October 05, 2010, 04:56:54 am »

That roast must have been quite exceptional.

I'm preparing to flood HFS, with an entire 40+ tile wide river diverted into it.

Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 3842