Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124913 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6615 on: October 03, 2010, 07:47:09 pm »

Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6616 on: October 03, 2010, 07:51:42 pm »

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:14:12 pm by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: October 03, 2010, 08:40:50 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My test fort was almost completely successful.

Quote from: the errorlog
*** Error(s) found in the file "data/save/region1/raw/objects/creature_nightmare.txt"
NIGHTMARE:Unrecognized Creature Caste Body Token: GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_DOUBLEFANGS
NIGHTMARE:Attack BITE seems to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: October 03, 2010, 09:08:50 pm »

my incompetent miners dug to deep and too greedily, and they were sacrificed to seal it off once again.

I only have one miner left, but I kno now where all the adamantite is.

After a few seasons of training, and mining my dwarfs shall have blood!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
« Reply #6619 on: October 03, 2010, 09:17:55 pm »

Holy Crap...

I finally got 3.15 going with my 5 year old fort that was just dying for some action. Had 1 million dwarfbuck in wealth, but nothing was happening.

And now, after about 1 month, had over 10 child kidnapings, and 3 ambushes. The fun has arrived!

My now lazy military is having quite the 'rude awakening'.

Let the good times roll!
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: October 03, 2010, 11:23:17 pm »

I just had two chunks of my fortress crumble to nothing because I accidentally removed a key support.  I only meant to bring down one, but three dwarves and a cat were under that chunk anyways, of course.

*A section of the cavern has collapsed!*
Urist McMoron has drowned.
Urist McMoron's cat has died after colliding with an object.
Urist McStupid has died after colliding with an object.
Urist McDumbass has died after colliding with an object.

One frame later.

*A section of the cavern has collapsed!*
Urist McCarpenter has died after colliding with an object.
Urist McHaulerJoe has died after colliding with an object.
Urist McHaulerJohn has died after colliding with an object.

And, unexpectedly, about five seconds later:

Urist McNobody has died after colliding with an object.

He walked right off a cliff.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6621 on: October 04, 2010, 12:54:21 am »

Alright, my soldiers have recovered. In fact, one previously broken arm just swung a silver warhammer through a vomit-beast and splattered it in one shot. "Beware it's deadly dust!" It didn't appear to breathe it, and there's no extract covering either it or my hammerdwarf, so I don't expect any syndromes. Meanwhile the other beast still wallows in the mud with it's broken legs. Sometimes it interrupts the farmers on the shore, but a little traffic management keeps the disruption minimized.

Booze shortage! The autumn caravan passed me by this year. Whip vines are growing sparsely topside; I could tear a hole in my courtyard to pumpstack some irrigation there, but I could keep farming downstairs for a lot less trouble. But three maximum sized fields of cave wheat and sweet pods are bringing in the boozables in a little too slowly.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: October 04, 2010, 07:17:35 am »

Goblin siege, as I'm replacing the traps along the narrow entrance ledge (one goblin thief triggered them all - in a sorry state, but made it to the last cage trap).

Seal up the fortress. Next elven merchants arrive, trapped at the south side of the map due to the channel I cut into the brook that flows from there.  Manage to pave a way over for them without letting my suicidal dwarves go and replace the forbidden traps (eventually - scumsaved once).  Goblins slaughter said elves - well, if they won't trade from it, I'll get it the other way... Last human merchant left without trading when goblins ambushed him - his pikeman guard killed 5 of them, and only the other merchant was killed.

Long drawn out episode at my fortress entrance, but finally I kill the last few bowmen with only one loss from The Most Works squad.

Gleeful looting ensues.  And then the human merchants arrive. Reminds me of a Boatmurdered episode...

They are here to trade, even though they look askew at the nearby blood-soaked dwarf stripping the clothes from the headless elven merchant while another feral one rummages through the bags on the dead camel

"I'm sure the elves must have offended them somehow.  Don't make short jokes, and if they offer you some lion eyeball stew again, just smile and eat it.  And don't make eye contact either...."

AND THREE AMBUSHES AS SOON AS THE LAST SIEGE ENDED????? I haven't had the chance to reset ANY of my traps. 

Edit - fortress dead.  20 slain by the last remaining goblin axeman.  We'd done so well, conscripting 20 random dwarves, who killed two squads of gobbos, but the last one slew everyone without taking a hit.  Sigh.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 07:51:02 am by Pukako »

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: October 04, 2010, 07:24:31 am »

I've made a fort in a temperate freshwater swamp, called 'Mirecradle'.

Really quickly my starting Fisherman got killed by an Alligator. I'm now studding cage traps all over the area. Through said traps I keep capturing snailmen. I'm thinking of forming a snailman zoo.

I had a Kobold problem (and I foolishly forgot to bring any animals with me) but I now have a guard dog stationed outside. One of my dwarfs was put into a coma because she lost her finger however. She's now just gotten up though.

I've got a full squad of training axe-dwarves, and one half squad of un-uniformed wrestlers to act as a meatshield. I've also got a possessed clothier that wants cloth. He doesn't want PLANT cloth, oh no, he wants silk! There's no silk on the map! And the human caravan has no silk!

WHY!
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: October 04, 2010, 07:30:40 am »

WHY!

That's what we're all asking ourselves, all the time, friend.

ArgusXIII

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6625 on: October 04, 2010, 07:38:35 am »

Bittenoiled, my reclaimed after a hilarious goblin assault/tantrum spiral/forgotten beast rampage tripple whamy in its 5th year fortress is now approaching 20 years since reclimation. 175 dwarves, a full quarter of them children, 30 axe and hammer lords, 80 dead, 8 defeated forgotten beasts (including one who drowned in the underground lake in the first cavern), a shattered goblin empire whose second in command died in a drowning cage after his army was destroyed on my doorstep, over a hundred goblin warriors eaten by the gates of Bittenoiled, not a kobold in sight; we think we've got it all.

Recently we punched through into the third cavern down and sighted the magma sea. We also discovered a small cluster of the blue. Probably only 30 tiles, and only on the one level. Its my first time encountering this stuff as my forts usually don't survive this long. It has been dedicated towards upgrading the arms and armour of the Bittenoiled militia. The Blockaded Torches, having existed since the reclimation of Bittenoiled, once led by the great hero Zan Cultfountain who commanded the militia in the reclimation, who personally slew 5 invading forgotten beasts including Arak, a 4-legged beast of amber and horns who destroyed the first fortress, and over two dozen goblins, only to fall defending his comrades against the gigantic iron turtle Gilafi, who, during his rampage, slew over 20 brave dwarves until the mighty hero Zan tackled the beast over a cliff, sacrificing himself in order to incapacitate the beast long enough for the brave miners to drop the roof on it; they get first pick. They are going to need it.

The upper 2 caverns are practically sublime compared to here with their cave crocodiles, giant olms and pond grabbers. Down here we face hordes of Elk Birds and Rutherers. So many Goddamn Elk Birds. One has slain 4 dwarves and earnt himself the name Tekkudbal. He was sucessfully captured and placed in the zoo for all to marvel at. We've killed a dozen of each and still they come. We also discovered a caravan of human traders passing through, as such we are moving to build a road through the cavern, and possibly a trade depot complete with defences down here; a deep road to compliment the roads we have begun on the surface, connecting up with the mountainhomes and the over the civilizations of the land.

Two more forgotten beasts have come, one a great earwig, now splashing about in the lake in the first cavern; the other a giant humanoid made of black bronze. He will prove formidable. I may need to drop the roof again as we haven't started handing out the adamantine axes to replace the steel.

We also spotted some purple helmet men in the north side of the lowest caverns. I hope to capture and examine some of them as well. They look delicious... and brewable.

tabaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: October 04, 2010, 08:28:59 am »

It seems like every time i post here i have a new fort. anyway it's now early autumn of the year 102 at Raptortombs after a year and a half in this embark which is a 50% terrifying (mountains) & 50% untamed wilds (woodland) biome. Things are looking good one fatality and one permenant cripple soon to be euthanized both because of skeletal giant eagles. i've discovered two of the cavern levels and i am heading for the magma sea next. I haven't really explored either of the caverns yet because everything in there is a zombie. beyond that i am trying to crank out as much bronze armor and weapons as possible so i can take on the caverns. (and because i set titans to start attacking at pop 40) also on a random note my hunter has discovered that he can shoot creatures in the first cavern by firing down the well shaft in the dinning room and has subsequently spent considerable time tormenting a Zombie Giant Cave Spider from relative safety.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: October 04, 2010, 09:27:55 am »

So I went and tried to explore Legends mode for the first time, trying to find out some back story behind my dead dwarven civ. I was hoping to make a tell-a-story-whilst-asking-newbie-questions thread documenting my current fortress, now that I found out it belongs to a dead civ. I wanted to weave some sort of believable story about my dwarves escape from a recent slaughter, but it turns out the civ was wiped out in year 32, and my fort was founded in 500, so where the 7+8+8 dwarves (minus one failed mood :( ) came from I don't know.

I did however find this:

The year he was born, his family and the rest of his people are wiped out by a gang of cyclopses. Despite being alone, and a baby, Dakost manages to repeatedly escape the cyclops until the age of 4, when he finally succumbs :(. Awesome baby is awesome.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6628 on: October 04, 2010, 09:46:04 am »

They came from wilderness, where they hid for years, descendants of the crumbled civ :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: October 04, 2010, 11:51:38 am »

I was a little concerned when kobolds walked across my traps without triggering them; didn't know they could do that. A war dog knocked their leader off the cliff to his death, and the rest scattered. That's when the goblins came back to siege, and their vanguard of trolls quickly confirmed that those traps are working. The rest of them lined up single file to be thrown off the cliff. The Hammer Lord hit the cage trap instead, so he gets to share a stockpile with pissing puppies and cow manure, and the rest of them took off. One mace lord, bowman and master lasher managed to land on a jutting crag out of the cliff, but collapsing the floor under them should work out the final kinks in my system. I'm pleased that the fall leaves most of the tougher goblins alive for my warriors to cut their throats. And it deposits their goods right next to the Depot warehouse.
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 3842