Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124779 times)

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6660 on: October 05, 2010, 03:17:43 pm »

Im making doors for bedrooms,and building an spiral stairway upwards,while digging the same downwards.
it shalt be a 2-in-one stairway.big white tower.
also,im making the military rooms.
I am a Goober.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6661 on: October 05, 2010, 03:24:23 pm »

Okay, so. Back to my first ever serious fort: Mirecradle.

It's dead.

Two, TWO goblin ambushes at the same time! I sent out my inexperienced, naked wrestlers and my inexperienced, armed with only training axes and a steel mail shirt each  axedwarfs to fight them. Wiped out. Even with the passing caravan lending a hand. They DID end up killing most of them however. All but two of the rest were caged, and they were hastily beaten down by the nine remaining civilian dwarves.

Out of a population of forty, nine remained.

Alcohol was produced to stop them going insane. A great tomb, larger than all of the bedrooms combined, was built under the sleeping quarters, to house the fallen. No migrants had come that season, but the caravans will. Mirecradle will LIVE!

lol no, another goblin ambush. Enjoy your death.

So after calming down, I (being the huge wuss that I am) deleted my save folder, created a new world, and picked a new swamp to make Mirecradle in. Bigger AND better.

All my axedwarfs have full metal armour and are actually skilled, and my entrance corridor is two wide instead of four and filled with cages. No goblins yet, only kobolds, but since a baby snatcher appeared recently it's only a matter of time.

And this time, I am ready.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 03:27:02 pm by Mantonio »
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: October 05, 2010, 03:30:07 pm »

It's dead.

Two, TWO goblin ambushes at the same time! I sent out my inexperienced, naked wrestlers and my inexperienced, armed with only training axes and a steel mail shirt each  axedwarfs to fight them. Wiped out. Even with the passing caravan lending a hand. They DID end up killing most of them however. All but two of the rest were caged, and they were hastily beaten down by the nine remaining civilian dwarves.

Alcohol was produced to stop them going insane. A great tomb, larger than all of the bedrooms combined, was built under the sleeping quarters, to house the fallen. No migrants had come that season, but the caravans will. Mirecradle will LIVE!

So after calming down, I (being the huge wuss that I am) deleted my save folder, created a new world, and picked a new swamp to make Mirecradle in. Bigger AND better.

All my axedwarfs have full metal armour and are actually skilled, and my entrance corridor is two wide instead of four and filled with cages. No goblins yet, only kobolds, but since a baby snatcher appeared recently it's only a matter of time.

Protip: "The Axedwarf block the spinning saguro rib training spear! X200"
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: October 05, 2010, 03:31:55 pm »

It's dead.

Protip: "The Axedwarf block the spinning saguro rib training spear! X200"

I'm not sure I follow?
A hero of renown?
BILLY!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: October 05, 2010, 03:36:50 pm »

Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6665 on: October 05, 2010, 03:51:44 pm »

Danger Rooms

Oh goody. I shall have to have one installed immediately.

How shall I get them to trigger though? Will I need a manager to get the right dwarf in the wrong place?
A hero of renown?
BILLY!

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: October 05, 2010, 04:04:55 pm »

It seems that a long winter, no TV or theatre or anything had some effect, as there were five births in a row.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: October 05, 2010, 04:49:20 pm »

New fort. Started mining...

...and hit a veritable goldmine of diamonds.

And of course, got a bunch of migrant gem cutters/setter... who have had moods.... First mood, I was a bit slow forbidding the not-so-nice gems, and got a perfect black zircon. Second mood, I was ready. I now have a perfect black diamond, with a thick crescent in black diamond and a picture of my fort's founding in red diamond. It's worth 288k dwarfbux.

Bring on the goblins.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: October 05, 2010, 04:49:57 pm »

My wife just bollocked me for letting a baby get hurt... stupid captain of the militia using her baby as ablative armor and it took a dagger in the face.

Now i have to figure out a creche system (or stop letting any females out of the fort) or i get told off :P

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: October 05, 2010, 04:51:38 pm »

Danger Rooms

Oh goody. I shall have to have one installed immediately.

How shall I get them to trigger though? Will I need a manager to get the right dwarf in the wrong place?

Repeater

Still need to get mine online...not sure I can face the 9 FPS fort to complete it...
I've not found ANY metal bearing ore in that whole map.

My new fort is all vertical and will eventually feature a 'shooting gallery' ballista entrance.
It is (praise Amok) completely littered with iron ore and coal and I think I'm safe from aquifers this time.
It seems that a vertical layed out fort is much harder on path finding compared to a horizontal layout.
Beat a couple of trogladytes to death.
Currently my farmers are too busy hunting vermin to actually plant anything...and my smith is possessed and not happy uh oh...
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: October 05, 2010, 05:32:21 pm »

Danger Rooms

Wouldn't really crappy whips be better for training Armor User? I mean, they shouldn't do any real damage at all.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: October 05, 2010, 05:38:54 pm »

The words "Really crappy" and "Whips" don't go together at all.

I mean, even copper whips smash through adamantine armour like it was made of polystyrene.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: October 05, 2010, 05:42:28 pm »

Adamantine whips?

Also, the reason training spears are used is because they can be placed in upright weapon traps.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: October 05, 2010, 05:42:55 pm »

I mean, even copper whips smash through adamantine armour like it was made of polystyrene.

Really? Odd. I'm pretty sure that in real life the worst a whip can do to you is break your arm if its made of metal. Might be wrong though. Usually am.

Also, the reason training spears are used is because they can be placed in upright weapon traps.

Oh, right.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: October 05, 2010, 05:51:51 pm »

Really? Odd. I'm pretty sure that in real life the worst a whip can do to you is break your arm if its made of metal. Might be wrong though. Usually am.

Weapons in DF are assumed to be rigid. Whips have an insane velocity multiplier.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 3842