Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129091 times)

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5535 on: September 02, 2010, 09:48:53 am »

Yeah, I'm pretty much dead. True story though, I thought I could run a little shut-in fort beneath the old one, but the FB got to me. Now my one remaining dorf, the cripple, is Dehydrated. Sob.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: September 02, 2010, 10:20:24 am »

Yeah, I'm pretty much dead. True story though, I thought I could run a little shut-in fort beneath the old one, but the FB got to me. Now my one remaining dorf, the cripple, is Dehydrated. Sob.
how about this guy?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No body parts left, but he's walking around and complaining about being unable to pick anything up.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: September 02, 2010, 10:32:30 am »

Haha, nice. Reminds me, there was a story around somewhere of a cripple who was struck by a strange mood and then spent the next two years dragging themselves around the fort collecting what they needed. Attaboy.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: September 02, 2010, 10:34:16 am »

In Spikeiron, the whales are getting to be a nuisance, specifically their habit of beaching themselves on the protected fishing beach.  Inevitably they are taken to the butcher's shop, where when they are finally butchered I get enough whale meat to feed my 19 dwarves for decades.  The dairly cow breeding program has been mothballed due to the food stockpiles being full of whale meat roasts, and I'm running out of places to put the tallow.  Perhaps I should build a giant soap tower or something.

Wait, you're complaining about the whales beaching themselves and providing you with meat ???

Just be glad they're not zombie whales that keep swimming into your fort and crushing Dwarves to death in their sleep.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: September 02, 2010, 11:38:17 am »

build a whale statue. Out of whale soap.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: September 02, 2010, 01:52:33 pm »

After extended effort, our miners have finally discovered the great magma sea below the fortress of BuriedAshes.

We have set up our forges down there, but our supply lines are uncomfortably long to reach those roiling depths. In particular dealing with refuse and loose stone seems to be a problem, as the peasants keep insisting on climbing 150 flights of stairs to throw away a dead roach rather than tossing it into the nearby magma pit we provided for their use.

Flogging soon to follow if they don't start figuring it out quickly. My patience grows thin.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: September 02, 2010, 03:01:28 pm »

So the siege consists of about 30 goblins, all riding giant rats. They also brought along an 8-man Troll kill squad. Townbrush currently consists of 25 Dwarves, two of which are crippled from injuries, and the military is made up of 2 novice fighters

Not exactly a fair fight. The way I see it I have two options; let the goblins in and watch them tear Townbrush apart OR keep them out and watch Townbrush fall apart due to decay. I've opted for the latter, even though defeat is pretty much inevitable. There is a slimmer of hope; none of the goblins have ranged weapons. I can station the captain of the guard on the fortress walls and have him shoot down at the invaders if they wander to close.

Also the mayor just clawed his way out of the flooded mines. He's the only Dwarf to survive falling into the water for any amount of time. I'd say he deserves a statue just for that, but then I remembered that he fell in due to his own idiocy.

EDIT: The Captain of the Guard just drove back the entire siege by himself. He pelted the goblins with arrows from the wall, killing many of their giant rat mounts. Eventually, the Goblins got sick of being shot at and decided to leave. The Guard Captain is now hero of the fortress. I'm sure he will have glorious 2 month reign before fighting a zombie whale and falling into the ocean.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:49:04 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: September 02, 2010, 05:13:17 pm »

got most of the work done on turning the hillside leading up to the east entrance into a long ramp. now I just have to place something that can notice ambushes at the start of it and I'll have plenty of time before they reach me. on the west side I have almost finished the first set of walls for my courtyard, partly to keep enemies out/early warning and partly because I have some pumps running in the nearby river with no way of turning off and the water was starting to close on the entrance.

downstairs I have had a sudden forgotten beast population boom. First was a flyer in the second cavern that got up to the first trough the giant hole between them. Since it was made of mist, I wasn't sure I could kill it and made my first controlled cave-in, which was a sucsess. only lost a miner who insisted on channeling from the wrong tile. Probably should not have named the group Twinkle the Suicidal Pick.
When the second one arrived I forgot that fb's are not stopped by doors, so it got into my fort and had fun scarring just about every dwarf in there. For once the military decided to be smart and promptly beat it into a blody pulp in my furniture stockyard.
The third one I tried to wall out, but it charged straight for the entrance before the dwarfs had a chance to build walls. my captain had an easy fight until the fb got a sock. the second hammer dwarf finally decided to join and drew the fb into the deep waters, giving some hauler enough time to save my captain. the lazy/brave hammerer finally drowned 1 tile away from the shore after taking a freaking long underwater walk. Not sure if I should make a tomb for him for being awsome at (almost) not drowning or let him rot for being lazy. My captain have now lain in the hospital for a long time with Heavy Bleeding and Cannot Breath status while the chief medic ignores him :( starting to wonder how long a dwarf can survive in that condition. Now trapped in the cavern, the fb have decided to drown at least 2 children and an adult accidentaly trapped with it. WTF? it could claw them apart or beat them to death, but nooo, mister sadistic beast would rather drown babies. Think I have lost between 10 and 15 dwarfs to drowning and I havent even flodded the fortress yet.

Even though I have a mighty 4*4 dining room with 6 table/chair sets and 8 beds in the corridor between the dining room/farm area and the animal stockpile/butcher area, my dwarfs are complaining of lack of chairs and tables beds, even though its only year 4 and 80 dwarfs. Dwarfs these days are so spoiled, complaining of everything.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: September 02, 2010, 05:16:17 pm »

My Dungeon Master finally came... and he was devoured two steps onto the screen by a pack of zombie wolves.

How do I get a new one?!
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: September 02, 2010, 05:26:21 pm »

Think I have lost between 10 and 15 dwarfs to drowning and I havent even flodded the fortress yet.

Even though I have a mighty 4*4 dining room with 6 table/chair sets and 8 beds in the corridor between the dining room/farm area and the animal stockpile/butcher area, my dwarfs are complaining of lack of chairs and tables beds, even though its only year 4 and 80 dwarfs. Dwarfs these days are so spoiled, complaining of everything.

I smell a tantrum spiral forming...  ;D

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: September 02, 2010, 05:40:26 pm »

Think I have lost between 10 and 15 dwarfs to drowning and I havent even flodded the fortress yet.

If the food and booze is good enough, they won't care.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: September 02, 2010, 05:43:27 pm »

Well, nothing much going on in Furnace of Executioners. Not since I completed the Magma Pumping system two days ago:

Attempts to reinvigorate the fox populations continue to produce no results. I tried reducing the populations of other animals in the fortress (butchering all non-pet/war dogs) but that didn't help. I tried butchering a couple foxes (despite the waste of meat) and that hasn't produced anything after nearly a year. One of my miners who was previously caught up in the near-death dehydration accident threw a tantrum and killed a fox by chopping it's rear-leg clean off with his pick. Still no new kits. There must be something I can do...

As if to rub it in, a dwarven child made an artifact Fox Bone Cabinet, with no engravings or anything, worth a paltry 1200. He called it "The Wail of Failing." Highly appropriate both for his creation and my fox situation.  :-\

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: September 02, 2010, 06:01:31 pm »

Just had a massive human siege punctuated by four goblin ambushes, all lead by humans.

A little later, Autumn came with it's autosave so if i crash again i won't have to redo the massacre battle
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: September 02, 2010, 06:58:52 pm »

It doesn't matter if dozens of Dwarves suffer a horrible death in flooded tunnels. So long as you have some good booze and a nice dining room, the survivors will still be ecstatic.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: September 02, 2010, 07:31:04 pm »

Attempts to reinvigorate the fox populations continue to produce no results. I tried reducing the populations of other animals in the fortress (butchering all non-pet/war dogs) but that didn't help. I tried butchering a couple foxes (despite the waste of meat) and that hasn't produced anything after nearly a year. One of my miners who was previously caught up in the near-death dehydration accident threw a tantrum and killed a fox by chopping it's rear-leg clean off with his pick. Still no new kits. There must be something I can do...

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark & guess that the population of "Dog" doesn't affect the max population of "Fox", further, may I suggest seeing if pasting the following over the "Fox" entry in "creature_large_temperate.txt" for the Fortress of Executioners savegame causes pregnancies (eventually)? [This was excerpted from the Vanilla file, I just doubled the 'Population Number' numbers]

Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 3842