Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128964 times)

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5550 on: September 02, 2010, 07:41:18 pm »

Attempts to reinvigorate the fox populations continue to produce no results. I tried reducing the populations of other animals in the fortress (butchering all non-pet/war dogs) but that didn't help. I tried butchering a couple foxes (despite the waste of meat) and that hasn't produced anything after nearly a year. One of my miners who was previously caught up in the near-death dehydration accident threw a tantrum and killed a fox by chopping it's rear-leg clean off with his pick. Still no new kits. There must be something I can do...

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark & guess that the population of "Dog" doesn't affect the max population of "Fox", further, may I suggest seeing if pasting the following over the "Fox" entry in "creature_large_temperate.txt" for the Fortress of Executioners savegame causes pregnancies (eventually)? [This was excerpted from the Vanilla file, I just doubled the 'Population Number' numbers]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for the advice. I've looked into meddling with the raws after finding out that Dungeon Masters rarely come up anymore. According to the wiki, the population tag impacts the minimum/maximum numbers of how many of these creatures can show up on a map per year. After deciding this wouldn't help, I promptly forgot about it. I guess I'll give it a go now, thanks again!

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #5551 on: September 02, 2010, 09:06:37 pm »

Everything has been going well in Oilrasped...until recently...a Forgotten Beast(on the weak side, actually) emerged in the 3rd cavern. Naturally wanting something to smash. It started heading for the nearby magma pool with my magma buildings around it. It smashed a few buildings and started chasing a dwarf around the pool. It was pretty slow, so it didn't have a chance of catching him, but it bought time for my military to get there. The first to arrive was my militia commander. He had 42 notable kills and 1 buzzard on his record. Wielding the battle axe of the commander before him who had 40 notable kills and 36 other kills, he charged at Stosbub Xorngokang Tunarana, the great green one-eyed tick. He injured it a few times and dodged all it's attacks all was going well. Then it bit and crushed his skull.  :(  Next up was my swordsdwarf. She didn't even get a chance, even though she was pretty good. Then, a wrestler came, punched it a few times and dodged into the magma pipe. Then my lasher did the same thing...and the one after him...and the one after him...and the one after him...during this time, I had to draft more people as mostly just the elite soldiers survived all the goblins. Then while more draftees were suiting up, the beast started attacking the smithies and dead soldiers' pets that were gathered around. It killed a couple horses, a cow, and a dog when it started fighting a cat. The cat ended up dodging into the lava about the same time that a donkey started fighting it. It kicked it once, bruising it...twice, the fb dodged...into the lava! It ended up dieing down there and even boiled in a dead dodging dwarf's blood for a while. Bad things: Few workshops destroyed, all my good soldiers died, taking their equipment with them. Good things: I found adamantine down there!

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: September 02, 2010, 10:19:35 pm »

I just had a lovely couple of goblin raids that led to the interesting discovery of some elven spies in my territory... the goblins chased the spies toward my fortress, who thought I'd think they were wholesome traders, and straight into a waiting set of traps. The goblins who followed the elf in were all either caged or minced to pieces while the elf was sliced up by 12 glass spinning blades.

Right now, my goblin zoo is loaded. I've got 30 of the fuckers in my dining hall and the babies seem to love interacting with them before their inevitable trek to check out the baby launcher.

I do what I can!
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: September 02, 2010, 10:24:52 pm »

I brewed some beer.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: September 02, 2010, 10:47:59 pm »

330000 microcline. That's what's going on in my fort.

Oh armok, why did I look?!
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: September 02, 2010, 11:46:31 pm »

An amber humanoid FB took out a few of the serpentfolk in the caverns before a spearwoman killed him down.

His corpse consists of...  well, amber; I wonder if it's actually usable for crafts.  Also, the lizardwoman, now named, shows up as friendly instead of hostile like the rest of her tribe.

Also found HFS.  Crap!!  Maybe if I wall it off the nobles won't come.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: September 03, 2010, 01:50:16 am »

I wonder if dwarfs are adopting pets properly. I set some vermin pets as available but nobody has claimed them. I know not everyone likes vermin but I have a bit of a variety, and 120+ dwarfs. Someone should like rats or birds or whatever I have.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: September 03, 2010, 05:55:22 am »

Nothing is happening, well the Grand Hall is slowly coming along
but after several Goblin ambushs I have not seen another one in years!

Checking the civ screen would seem to say we have become peaceful friends >:(
ANyone got any ideas?

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: September 03, 2010, 08:18:48 am »

I trapped and then subsequently opened my fortress to cavern level 3, ambushes being far too common.  I'd set up my 6 dwarf militia to defend it via burrows in 3-dwaef squads. All was well, many crundle and creeping eye deaths. Current pop: 45.

Then a jabberer appeared.

"Urist McAxeman has been struck down!"

Well, that sucks but my other two -

"Urist McUselessAxe has been struck down!" X2

...fair enough, they're in all bronze but they're my less skilled squad. I send my A-team against the now named Jabberer. Before they get there it kills six more dwarves who had been out picking  crundle bits. Eventually they chase it down and kill it. Current pop: 36.

Right. I draft more military, set them to train as i try to clean up the dead dwarves.

Jabberer number two arrives.

When all is said and done I have another six dead dwarves and no military. Current pop:30.

Fine. I forbid everything, close off the caverns, wait for migrants. For some a couple dwarves wander past my heavily trapped front entrance. Current pop:28.

Migrants, huzzah!  That brings me up to 50 dwarves!

An ambush, curse them!

Current pop: 43.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: September 03, 2010, 08:21:15 am »

Good news everyone.....

Goblins ambushed us and died  :D

Two injuries one guy got pretty beat up on his legs :o
But all is well.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5560 on: September 03, 2010, 08:22:35 am »

dwaef

I don't know why - but I love this word. I think it reminds me of dwemer from the Elder Scrolls games.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: September 03, 2010, 08:31:56 am »

dwaef

I don't know why - but I love this word. I think it reminds me of dwemer from the Elder Scrolls games.

Typing on an Android keyboard leads to a lot of typos :p
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #5562 on: September 03, 2010, 08:34:06 am »

Heh - it certainly wasn't meant to poke fun, it just looked interesting to me. I type ~93 wpm, so I completely understand typos (that's about 63 forward and 30 backward).
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: September 03, 2010, 09:19:43 am »

Elephants.  Not the Boatmurdered kind, more the charge-headlong-into-the-cage-traps-and-sign-up-for-the-military kind.  I'm still in the first year of this fort, and have around 15 tame elephants and counting.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Scrippy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: September 03, 2010, 10:13:03 am »

I'm doing a mini-project I like to call Dorf Abbey. I'm limiting myself to 40 dwarves, and all of them will be part of the military rotation.

I struck adamantine right before getting the military up. In an effort to get to the section of the tube above me, I built up stairs. Unbeknownst to me I had unwittingly built them into the cavern above me, allowing the two FBs to path right into my fortress. They immediately slaughter about 15 of my 50 dwarves, and another 5 as the Militia finally take them out. Then the tantrum spiral starts. Dwarves everywhere start tantruming, and then dying of poison, and then going beserk, killing their fellow dwarves, causing the sane ones to tantrum and killing more dwarves. Many go insane.

In the middle on the tantrum spiral one of my Dwarves goes Fell, and drags my legendary engraver into a butcher's shop. He creates a Dwarven Bone Mask.

After the carnage and the bodies have either been buried or dumped into the magma sea (15 dwarves left at this point, two unable to stand, three children, two insane) and the breach has been sealed, my leatherworker goes fey all of a sudden. He goes grabbing all sorts of things, and when he finally finishes I get:

The Fenced Miseries: A Forgotten Beast leather shield
It's encrusted with Black Diamond, and it's decorated with MORE forgotten beast leather. Two FB leathers in one artifact.

I definitely plan on having an adventurer come to claim those items. I'll call him Misery.
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 3842