Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129157 times)

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5505 on: September 01, 2010, 04:14:33 am »

Nothing.

A human 'siege', if you can call it that, is sitting, encamped and apparently quite happy, on the very edge of the map.  I'm practically co-existing with them - they don't bother me and I don't bother them, and current food supplies are so high as to make it highly unlikely that the situation will change anytime soon.  I'm hoping they'll just get bored and bugger off after a year or two.

They just killed an ettin.  I was hoping it would get to the traps and be butchered.  Hohum.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: September 01, 2010, 04:39:03 am »

I'm hesitant to say there is some hope again, but there might be. There's one small, secluded area in the abyss. It's high up, so it will take a long time for it to be flooded. If Rigoth can work quick enough, she can seal it off and preserve it. The cavern is taking a long time to flood, so she's probably going to starve to death before the waters reach her. She'll be a hero to the fortress if she can seal that area off.

So here's the situation; all mining has ground to halt due to flooding. All metalsmithing has ground to a halt due to a lack of fuel and raw materials. All tree cutting has ground to a halt due to flooding. All underground farming has ground to a halt due to flooding. All work in general has ground to a halt due to significant portions of the population being killed of by flooding. I don't think things can get much worse.

:(
You sir, deserve a friggin medal. You could type up a summary of this or something in the community games/stories section and get it into the hall of legends.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: September 01, 2010, 05:09:54 am »

Jackpot! I will be leaving the surface world now...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: September 01, 2010, 06:50:00 am »

Heh, one of my artifacts has a picture of another artifact on it.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: September 01, 2010, 08:26:21 am »

My 40d fort is now dug down to the bottom Z-level.  I will now spend my time digging my moat down to the bottom z-level as well. 

Once that is complete, I will dig out the bottom z-level and support my entire fort on four pillars.  Which will be attached to a single lever. 

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: September 01, 2010, 03:48:23 pm »

Okay, so last night DF crashed. This is the second time DF has crashed after a major disaster, only this time the previous save wasn't before the flood started. However, the flood had only just begun, so I saw an opportunity. Rather than just watch the trainwreck, I could instead use my future knowledge to save the Dwarves!

It didn't work. In fact, my population is lower than it was last night, suggesting that there was a 3rd survivor I didn't notice. However, I was able to completley wall off the tunnel to the Abyss before the flood reached it. This means I have managed to save one of the cavern layers. Of course, it had to be the most dangerous one. The sole survivor of the flood is the same Engraver as last time, Rigoth. She's currently building farms and waiting for the diggers to reach her with the new tunnel. Hopefully the local Forgotten Beast won't decide to come kill her. At least I saved the cute little bug bats from drowning.

EDIT: Never mind, the bug bats are doomed. Because there was another tunnel I didn't notice, and now the Abyss is flooding.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:52:50 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: September 01, 2010, 03:54:07 pm »

I modded Arbalests and large bolts into my game, but I think something screwed up pretty badly, because a stack of 25 masterpiece iron large bolts is worth -2,800,000 DB.

I think it's fixed now though.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: September 01, 2010, 04:48:56 pm »

Nearly lost all my dedicated miners because I had stopped paying attention for a bit. They had channeled themselves down far enough that they no longer had a way out. I guess I was so use to the last trench's set-it-and-forget-it nature, that I just let them go. Three died of thirst/starvation and 4 more were on the way when at last I had managed to direct them into digging into one of the side tunnels accompanying the other trench (dug for a few valuable items) and freed them. Still, not the happiest bunch right now.

My Mayor, an Elite Wrestler/Axedwarf (the mayors always seem to come from the ranks of the military,) died during an invasion by a Giant. It was pretty sad, as the first hits smashed through his armor and knocked away his axe. Fortunately, a Hammerdwarf was there to brutalize the Giant and the mayor managed to slink away. He then tried to conduct a meeting with a diplomat who appeared on the map and died of suffocation. The diplomat left unhappy.

But, I don't care because I'm still ecstatic over the completion of the Magma Pumping system yesterday!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: September 01, 2010, 05:21:25 pm »

I got bored with normal fort-makery and decided to do something a little out of the ordinary.

It's nothing too crazy, but instead of having 30 or 40 military dudes running around steamrolling stuff, i decided to have one assigned to each Dwarf-created weapon and have them be "heroes" so to speak and dedicate the fort to them.

Only 3 of the 5 have gotten titles so far, but they actually got ones that seem somewhat appropriate rather than the usual silly randomness.

Spear: Zulban Foldedsilvers the Taut Lark of Bites
Short Sword: Kib Metalboulders the Oily Lion of Splitting(This one is unusually appropriate because she has a habit of cutting things in half at the waist)
Battle Axe: Ilral Pagetomes the Helmed Fissure of Men

They're all running around wearing armor and weapons made of a certain blue metal except the Hammerdwarf and Marksdwarf, Hammerdwarf is using silver and the marksdwarf a copper crossbow with steel bolts.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: September 01, 2010, 07:45:52 pm »

I started a new fort.

Guess where my dwarves decided to embark?

When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: September 01, 2010, 08:06:02 pm »

Finished the outer watchtowers and raised fortress bridges across the dry moat late last year. Likewise have improved the traps in the 'alternate entrance' corridor.

More recently have completed engraving the dwarvish catacombs, though the lack of goblin attacks makes them seem something of a waste really.

Now my engravers and masons are in the process of constructing the Tombs of Gold - a place where three rich gold veins have come together to create a winding series of passages as my miners cleared them. These are being masterfully engraved and many elaborate art pieces are being prepared to line its hallowed passages.

Meanwhile, my crossbow maker has been taken by a mood and collected a great many valuable items to his workshop. We await the results of his efforts with baited breath.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: September 01, 2010, 08:54:32 pm »

The dwarves of The Moist Planks from The Misty Chamber have just founded Chamberwhisker.
The starting civ let me embark with cave crocodiles and giant bats, so I have decided to keep a zoo. I dumped all the usual gear, except for a pick and some wood, and spent it all on breeding pairs of animals - We'll see what horrors come of this.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: September 01, 2010, 08:55:20 pm »

I tihnk I hit the point where stone has a major impact on FPS. I've mined out an entire layer in preparation for the construction of my artificial cavern.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: September 01, 2010, 09:01:41 pm »

Right now, thirst is posing a bigger problem than gobbos. Hooray.

The goblin "firing-squad" chamber was finished, and was used to execute 2 thieves, 2 hammergoblins, and a swordgoblin. Worked like a charm. The goblinite is currently being processed into bars of metal for dwarven use via magma forge. Gotta use magma to get all that goblin grit off...

Oh, and one of the crossbow-military-in-training decided to be valiant and run out into the battlefield in the middle of a goblin ambush. His remains and belongings have been either magma-dumped or magma-melted to purify the stupidity from them.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: September 01, 2010, 09:11:12 pm »

I was digging out a magma moat, and the final block was about to be removed. As per tradition, a single miner was sent down to mine it and then run as fast as he can out of there.

Of course, that was the theory. In practise, he got sleepy about halfway down the channel after mining the rock, and fell asleep on the spot.

There isn't even a body to recover.
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 3842