Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129082 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5520 on: September 01, 2010, 09:16:41 pm »

Well the diggers finally managed to pierce the chamber Rigoth was barricading. It's  a good thing to, since she was about to die. She had resorted to hunting vermin for food and attempting to drink out of the flood waters. Now I just need to clear out the trees and I'll have managed to preserve an area of the caverns for farming. Townbrush may survive.

With the tunnel finished, I've also begun operation "Save the caverns", which coincides with operation "Save my FPS". I'm going to dig out a large chamber beneath the area where the water is flooding in. Then, I'll attempt to pierce the area above, temporairly diverting the water into the chamber bellow. This will hopefully stop the water from rushing into caverns, if only for a short time. The goal is to lower the water level to the point where the lever controlling the floodgate is accessible. Then, I'll pull the lever, preventing the water from flooding in. If I'm correct (probably not), most of the flooding water in the caverns will disappear when it touches the edges of the map. Slowly over time, the water levels will drop, allowing some areas to be habitable again. This plan can't fail.

Also the zombie whales showed up again. I guess it just wouldn't be Townbrush is the undead ocean dweller weren't harassing me constantly. But the water levels aren't high enough for them to enter the Fortress, so for once I have the advantage.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: September 01, 2010, 09:50:22 pm »

I accidentally hit an aquifer awhile ago while digging out the outline of my artificial cavern. Just beginning to smooth back to the source by carving fortifications along the edge of the map.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: September 01, 2010, 09:55:44 pm »

I was going to trade with the humans, but they decided to up and leave right as the last of my goods arrived at the depot.

So I sent in my hammerdorf squad and killed them all.

Just another typical day in Burneddyes... although the war grizzly decided not to help this time.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: September 01, 2010, 11:38:58 pm »

Well it looks like I saved the fortress.....sort of. The plan didn't work properly. When the digger pierced the roof, water flowed in at an alarming rate. But it was temporairly diverted. However, for reasons unknown to me, my idiot dwarves didn't pull the lever. Even though there were 4 levers in close proximity to it. So the plan failed due to my Dwarves being lazy.

So I cheated. I spawned magma and plugged up the hole with obsidian. I can't play the fort with such crippling FPS. I'd rather cheat than abandon, though I don't feel particularly good about doing so. Oh well. Now to see if my theory was correct and the water begins to drain out of the caverns.

EDIT: Of course. Now one of the Dwarves actually gets off his ass and pulls the lever. However, the moron didn't wait for the water levels to subside and dove into the water, which predictably pushed him down one of the flooded mine shafts. So he better gain Olympic swimming skills quickly, or I'm going to have another wet corpse to clean up.

EDIT 2: Wonderful. Apparently his son thought it would be a good idea to follow him.

EDIT 3: Now a mason dove into the water. Why have my Dwarves suddenly become even dumber than before? :(

EDIT 4: This most be a mass suicide they planned out before hand. A 4th Dwarf just flung himself into the flood.

EDIT 5: Well they all died. All except for one; the mayor. He was lucky. The flood waters washed him down a different road. Instead of being pushed into the dead end mines, he headed towards the underground farm. The water is draining out of this area quickly, so he was able to find a "safe" zone. He's clinging to a ramp that is only covered in 1/7 water, somehow managing to maintain his grip despite being hit by all of the water traveling downwards. I don't know how to rescue him though. The closest living creature to him is a zombie gorlak, which will probably attack him at the first opportunity.

EDIT 6: Apparently he isn't holding his grip. He keeps getting knocked back by the water, almost drowning, then managing to claw his way back up before getting knocked back again. Poor bastard is going to run out of energy eventually.

EDIT 7: A vile force of Darkness has arrived....I'm sure my population of 26 can fend off the goblin horde.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 12:39:19 am by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: September 01, 2010, 11:48:11 pm »

I'm starting a Super-Soldier training program - gonna make them legendary in most, if not all, combat skills. LET THE TRAINING SPEARS ATTACK!
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: September 02, 2010, 12:25:20 am »

Ah the beauties of blood. My fortress hasn't actually seen much for battle, but the contaminant multiplier has bathed the entire topside area and arena in thick layers of blood. I suppose I should use dfhack's cleaning tool more often...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: September 02, 2010, 01:26:35 am »

The best cavern level 3 so far...three naturally secured magma pools with plenty of water a short distance away. 
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: September 02, 2010, 03:15:28 am »

A poor war dog is dragging its guts 2 tiles behind it.   :'(

edit: make that two
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:01:30 am by FleshForge »

scientificBlues

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: September 02, 2010, 06:50:00 am »

Two forgotten beasts showed up at the same time.

My fortress had around 40 dwarves.

Only seven and some animals and some animals were left by the time the beasts are both brought down. One promptly goes berserk, another melancholy. A third is laid up in bed with massive injuries. Two more have fevers from noxious secretions, and all of them spend a lot of time tantruming.

But there's still food. And drink. And after they've managed to haul the corpses to the surface, seal off the Beasts' entrances and start pumping out coffins, one of the two sane and unafflicted dwarves goes berserk.

I decide to call it a night, figure out whether I can salvage what's left of Steelbridge in the morning, and then... dirty, stinking, glorious migrants! Ten of them, and a dog. So now it's just a matter of cleaning up and getting my steel industry back into place.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5529 on: September 02, 2010, 06:51:31 am »

I'm building Khazad-dûm ten layers above a lava pond.
Using this..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
as help.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:53:10 am by Dbuhos »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5530 on: September 02, 2010, 07:53:14 am »

In Spikeiron, the whales are getting to be a nuisance, specifically their habit of beaching themselves on the protected fishing beach.  Inevitably they are taken to the butcher's shop, where when they are finally butchered I get enough whale meat to feed my 19 dwarves for decades.  The dairly cow breeding program has been mothballed due to the food stockpiles being full of whale meat roasts, and I'm running out of places to put the tallow.  Perhaps I should build a giant soap tower or something.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: September 02, 2010, 09:21:36 am »

"....They are upon us. The goblins, led by their human Master, Ago Ngulomato, launched a truly horrendous attack upon we of noble Inkdelights of the Abbey of Legends of the Road of Nails. It is early in the month of Malachite, of the year 1056.
They were as numerous as the grass itself before our mighty gates. But we were impregnable, or so we thought, renowned as we were for the thick, fortified walls surrounding our perimeter on three sides, a sheer ravine on the fourth. Many a wave of goblin aggressors had risen up against us, only to crash and fall against this barrier: countless gruesome corpses feeding the carp in the waters below.
But they found the secret entrance. It was little more than a hole at the base of the cliff! If we had had time to complete the protective earthworks, they wouldn't have been able to even reach it. But no; the scum Ngulomato arrived too soon! He murdered those civilians left outside, and sent his trolls to tear open the hatches. The goblin tide flooded in.
Even with our impregnable perimeter breached, we were not ready to give up easily. Our standing army was quickly mobilized, nearly half our number (we are a proud and warlike people), all clad in the finest Dwarven steel, all armed to the hilt with the keenest blades our smiths could produce. Our mighty champions waded through the vile invaders, slaying left and right, corpses falling beneath them in piles.
To no avail. They were too many, we were too few. We were valiant, but overrun. I watched in horror as the goblin scum descended the grand staircases, screaming and snarling. Terror overtook us. They had taken the tower, killed the warriors. We had no choice but to flee as they filled the main corridors. They took the waterfall room, smashed the jewel-encrusted statues, overturned the magnificent dining hall where I had so often held a merry court. So many died, cut down where they stood, blood and gore and corpses were everywhere - animal, dwarf, splatters and gouts lay strewn across the masterful engravings on our opulent rooms.
I knew, then, the only way I could save my people was by getting them down into the mines. Down there in the dark we had cut many grottos, many tunnels, all in our search for wealth. And we knew of the great dark caverns. We could hide down there in the dark, and the goblins could spend months searching to no avail.
I fled, urging as many to follow as I could. I saw whole families slaughtered as cattle before my very eyes; mother, daughters, sons. In the end, only I and a lone engraver escaped into the dark below the fortress. But we were not yet safe. We could hear the hordes spreading through the thick darkness behind us. We fled deeper, locking tight all the doors we passed.
By happy chance, we found three of our advance miners laboring away down there in the deep. They had been down here working all along, unaware that in the fortress miles above them their friends and families had already spilled their lifeblood on the stone. We brought them these bad tidings, and stricken with grief as they were, they showed truly admirable, unbreaking dwarfen spirit in guiding us to a place where we would be safe. There, they walled all five of us in, lamenting only that those above us could not be properly laid to rest, and that they could not die avenging them.
But we had no time for weeping, for although safe from the hordes above us, we were still not out of danger: we had no food, no drink, no prospects beyond miserable death down here. I think the engraver's wits were broken by this tragedy, for she would not rest, and she would not talk, or perhaps could not. Instead she frantically began to smooth and engrave the rough stone walls around us, horrible images depicting attack and gruesome death. She is not long for this world, I fear."

(Journal of Countess Medtob Astobir)

"It was in the late autumn of 1054 when the Kas Alhoiquob the Brilliant Pulps the hydra attacked our fort. Though eventually killed, she shattered my spine. I never walked again, or even left my bed. Here I lay, destitute, in my room, each day blending into the next in a litany of misery. I, Litast Lenshammeng, who had once been mayor, forced to subside on what scraps the others remembered to bring me, and water, WATER, as if I were some beggar-leper? Such treachery! How I hated them, how they went so merrily and industriously on with life without me - planning excavations, digging, smelting, crafting, growing wealthy and prosperous and yet not once passing by my lonely door for a chat, or to bring me my favourite ale. Often I wept, and cursed black curses upon them and myself and the world, but never did my lot seem to change."

"The miners and I have a plan. We know of a deep secret muddy patch of cavern, the floor of which is strewn with shrubs and giant mushrooms. It will be difficult, but if we can tunnel up under it we can get food for our bellies and maybe brew drink for our parched throats, if we can find a way to cut barrels. The miners say they will cut away the slopes of this pit bottom to prevent any dangerous creatures wandering in on us, and that there is a solitary metal-forge tucked away in a secluded cavern in the tunnels with a smelter and a pile of bars. If we can somehow tunnel up there too and wall it off, we could make axes - which means barrels, and beds. I see the glimmers of hope in their eyes when we speak of this, and they began the excavations immediately. Maybe we do not face a future as comfortable and as wealthy as we were once accustomed, but now at least we have a chance at existence. All who pass above will think us perished, but we WILL be alive down here, perhaps to begin again someday. We can only hope.
Why are the miners taking so long?"

"No, never did my lot seem to change, not until I was woken from my fitful dreams by their screams, and the clash and zing of war. Goblins! Somehow, they have breached the interior and killed the guards, and in my blackest, deepest of hearts I know that my curses have been heard - and have been answered with a vengeance. Nobody will even remember my existence now, much less come to my aid - and what could an invalid do against an army of the goblins of Esroxutes?
But some resolve strikes me: perhaps I could seal my own fate this time? It has been long since I was master of anything, even my own affairs. No, I will not give any goblin wretch the satisfaction of lashing my gizzards out through my back. And by seal my fate, I mean seal the door.
I drag myself heavily to the floor and haul my useless body to the passageway, my once strong frame atrophied and shriveled from two long years abed. But I manage to shut and seal the heavy stone door before the vermin invaders reach this level, and here I lie prone, breathless and dizzy, face mere inches from the jamb, listening to the screams and the slashing and the thunder of many plate boots on stone - many, so many. They will all be dead soon. Am I crying or am I laughing? I don't know anymore.
Then suddenly all is still, and there are no more screams. The silence that now lies heavy on the stone is worse than the battle, far worse. I imagine sneaking goblin thieves skulking just beyond my door, prying around, their wicked ears picking up the faint sound of my ragged breaths. I imagine then the troll that would smash the stone open to find me there, before bringing me before his master. I would be flogged, tortured, pincushioned with bolts...
My heart pounding at me like a hammer, I crawl with terror-fed strength to my bed and there I lie, barely moving or breathing, while all through the tunnels around me the enemy lurks and skulks"

"The miners are dead. The caverns were our undoing, a terrible beast had woken down here. Shash Elcursethal Lur Shash is his name, Shash Plaguespider the Hate of Hell, a gigantic eight-legged noseless otter, ravening and of scarlet hair - and curse us, for his wakening is our own doing. Hark! His roar fills the tunnels ahead. I cannot flee, the tunnel is sealed. He is coming. He is coming! The engraver babbles now, she runs toward the sound. He has rounded the corner! She strikes, but he takes her head in one swipe. Now he is snarling at me. He approaches slowly. O Kovest, O Armok, save me! There is no escape. I die with my back against cold stone. Remember the dwarfs of Inkelights! We were mighty, we were rich! We delved deep, we delved broad, and far!
Remembe-"

"So now that I've calmed down a bit, I figure that I'm the only dwarf left alive in the place, and that means not only has the fortress not yet truly fallen, but that now I'm mayor! Ha, ha haaa! I shall sit here until I starve, ruling over the rats and the roaches, and no goblin invader will be able to say that he slew the last dwarf of Inkdelights! A crippled wretch of a dwarf, defying the might of the entire goblin army! I am the stuff of legends!"
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:25:57 am by Kurouma »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: September 02, 2010, 09:37:17 am »

Kurouma, you get 194 internets from me.

Great story.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: September 02, 2010, 09:40:22 am »

Epic.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: September 02, 2010, 09:43:05 am »

Plaguespider the Hate of Hell?  Wow, you really lucked out there.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:34:52 am by TurkeyXIII »
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 3842