Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107631 times)

CapnKorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4905 on: August 13, 2010, 01:59:15 pm »

I'll look into Dorf Therapist.

Until then I'm flooding this fort.

My mason just went crazy after seeing a carp and bashed another dorf's head in with a cabinet.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #4906 on: August 13, 2010, 02:13:44 pm »

Working on my first DF2010 fort. Late last night, just finished my windmill-powered, 19 z-level magma pump stack! Grabs the magma from the sea and brings it up for the forges (which have yet to be built) It works perfectly, and no dorfs were killed during its construction. Quite possibly my first real success in DF. A few seasons before that, I scared off a goblin ambush (didn't kill a single one though - the military stuff is HARD). My military commander took one helluva beating, but is actually healing due to a well-stocked hospital.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #4907 on: August 13, 2010, 02:37:58 pm »

Friendlyfire is having a fun time trying to keep on top of its massive production orders, though most of it is just spinning the wheels, so to speak.  The fort has enough food and drink to last years (though all my forts end up like that), as well as tons of animals (and even a cute little family of tigermen), the biggest prize being their herd of tamed elephants.  Goblins seem to be genuinely afraid to attack Friendlyfire, probably because of the cage traps that have already nabbed a fair bit of the local wildlife (and even a few Goblins!).
Sanity is for the weak.

Tale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: August 13, 2010, 03:23:32 pm »

Survived my first ambush.  This is a first ever for me.  Usually they wipe out 30+ guys.  I'm not sure I took any casualties.  I lost 1 dwarf, but don't remember it reported (3 less from when it started, one baby snatched immediately after, one thirst death from melancholy, one unaccounted).  Almost atom smashed my armorer, thankfully avoided.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:59:31 pm by Tale »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: August 13, 2010, 04:02:44 pm »

I flooded it. ALL of it.

6 people drowned because they got caught in stockpiles after trying to store items, and didn't go upstairs like they were told. now about 1/3 of the fort is flashing red and threatening a tantrum spiral. We lost everything, even the food and booze. Luckily I put doors on the dining room entrance so I saved almost all of the dopes that refused to leave. I suppose we have enough food sources and booze can wait...

Think I'll savescum and forget the 9 months that have passed since my last save.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:08:11 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: August 13, 2010, 04:15:20 pm »

Headwound the Large Eternal Fire of Insanity has progressed to the point where everything important is set up and a goblin siege has been scared off by our cage traps.  The north-east quadrant of the map was a good-aligned forest.  It is now a good-aligned grassland with piles of wood everywhere.  In retrospect, had I held off on deforesting it, Unicorns would have spawned closer to the fortress.  Ah, well, live and learn and set up unicorn traps at the southern end.  The only thing I need now is a Dungeon Master along with a few lucky shmucks to become my elite army of wrestlers and crossbowdwarves.  Along with coal and a large supply of iron.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: August 13, 2010, 05:36:29 pm »

Something kinda interesting just happened. Some time back, one of my veteran axedwarves took a knife to the spine while dispatching a goblin snatcher. He's been paralyzed from the waste down ever since, bedridden in my hospital.

Just now he gets possessed. He crawls out of bed, out of my fort and waits for me to build him a furnace. Where does he wait? Not one of my meeting halls. He goes just outside my walls to the spot where he was stabbed a year or two back, under the site where I was removing a large chunk of the mountain. So I build him a glass furnace which he claims and then slowly crawls along to gather all the materials. I have his former squad-mates standby, guarding the vulnerable point between the gates and the mines in his honor, as he very gradually goes down to gather his materials. Some time later, he finishes his glass ring with a picture of a mountain.

Kessadir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: August 13, 2010, 06:56:58 pm »

So I just got sieged by 50 goblins and 8 trolls. 15 Mace goblins, 15 bow goblins, 15 hammer goblins and 5 swords goblins. Every single one of them were raiding a cave crawler or a jabberer.
That was my first encounter with a such big siege.

I managed to get most of the mace goblins into my cage traps outside the fortress. Those dumbs went straight at them.
Then I trapped the entrance to my halls, and I've let the rest of that scum enter at their own risk!

After few captures most of the trolls and goblins, especialy hammer goblins ran away, while my marksmans were shooting them, behind the fortifications.

And I've gotta say that it was a flawless victory!

Btw. Trolls have a kewl looking blue blood. I like it ;)

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: August 13, 2010, 07:24:26 pm »

I just managed to head off a tantrum spiral that was slowly gathering momentum. My fort had 200 dwarves, exactly half of which were in the military (of which the majority was equipped with masterwork/exceptional steel armor and axes). After being hit with two large goblin sieges in quick succession, about ten dwarfs died in battle and another ten or so were languishing in hospital. Everyone was grumpy. And then one by one, they began succumbing to tantruming. I was actually too busy with cleanup operations to realize it at first, it was only when I noticed that my population had dropped to 167 that I put 2 and 2 together (there was a _lot_ of cleanup to occupy my attention). Unfortunately my dwarves always seemed grumpiest when they were on duty, and I always had squads guarding my inner and outer drawbridges, so both of those got smashed by tantrumers in short order. So when I set my whole military to inactive to get them to go cool their heels in the legendary dining hall (minus their murder-enabling axes) it was a bit of a risk. But I got the drawbridges rebuilt in short order, my dwarves calmed down, and the extra civilian manpower allowed me to finish cleaning up the corpse pile months ahead of schedule.

Dwarf Fortress stories are a bit dull when everything works out, aren't they? :)

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: August 13, 2010, 07:48:29 pm »

A trio of Ogres beat an Elven caravan to death with sunberries.

A dwarven caravan just left, but one speardwarf stopped three tiles from the map edge starring after the caravan. He has changed on the units list from merchant to friendly.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: August 13, 2010, 09:23:39 pm »

A trio of Ogres beat an Elven caravan to death with sunberries.

A dwarven caravan just left, but one speardwarf stopped three tiles from the map edge starring after the caravan. He has changed on the units list from merchant to friendly.

That's an interesting bug. Was he doing anything while he was there?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: August 13, 2010, 10:12:11 pm »

So a forgotten beast decided to show up. No big deal, oh wait he can fly. And he breathes fire. And since my military sucks, this is a recipe for disaster. However, I ended up getting incredibly lucky. Rather than attack my dwarves, the beast instead decided to run into the graveyard and destroy the coffins. While he was busy doing that I sealed off the graveyard, locking the beast inside. Now he is trapped with no way out, saving the Fortress from certain disaster. Now I just need to find a new place to bury my corpses.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: August 13, 2010, 11:47:38 pm »

So a forgotten beast decided to show up. No big deal, oh wait he can fly. And he breathes fire. And since my military sucks, this is a recipe for disaster. However, I ended up getting incredibly lucky. Rather than attack my dwarves, the beast instead decided to run into the graveyard and destroy the coffins. While he was busy doing that I sealed off the graveyard, locking the beast inside. Now he is trapped with no way out, saving the Fortress from certain disaster. Now I just need to find a new place to bury my corpses.
At least you won't be need a LOT of new burial plots right now.  :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Legend

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: August 14, 2010, 03:22:47 am »

I discovered an expansive underground cavern. Its size seems to be one square, so I'm duly impressed by the sweeping subterranean panorama of  the muddy dacite floor.

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: August 14, 2010, 05:24:08 am »

My first foray into the Caverns ended up with a Draltha wandering about my half-constructed Prison/Guard quarters.  So sent my 3-Axedwarf squad in to kill it.

Later, saw my butcher dragging it home, at the rate of 1 tile every 5 seconds.  Turns out Draltha are pretty damn big.  Well he finally gets it to the butcher's shop, and seconds later the shop is cluttered, there's blood everywhere, and I have an extra 95 meat  :o

I have now learned that dynamite is the dwarf butcher's implement of choice.

*Update*

It appears turning off stone hauling for 2 dwarfs is not enough.  There is now a heap of 60 Draltha meat merrily rotting away in the shop, and the butcher's gone for a drink (probably to clear the taste of rotten Draltha splatter out of his mouth).

Dear God...The smell...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 05:42:59 am by Arbitrax »
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 3842