Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096687 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4875 on: August 12, 2010, 03:27:19 pm »

Not unless you modded goblins to fly.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: August 12, 2010, 03:34:17 pm »

one of my miners just died a completely preventable death, suffocated thanks to a giant cave spider putting venom into him, but not before biting it due to a pick to the face. If my masons hadn't been lulling aorund like idiots, I could have walled off an access point into my mine shaft ages ago.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: August 12, 2010, 04:25:24 pm »

Goblins wont jump down, but if they have bows/crossbows...  Well, you see where this is going.  I've lost a fort to that mistake before.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: August 12, 2010, 05:52:12 pm »

I've just started a fort that will have its foundation based on the roof of an HFS temple. This will also be my first semi-serious long-term fort. :D

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: August 12, 2010, 06:02:19 pm »

Goblins wont jump down, but if they have bows/crossbows...  Well, you see where this is going.  I've lost a fort to that mistake before.

I experienced this the other way around. I had just about completed my 3-story wall and wanted to have my crossbowdwarves take out a human archer leading a goblin pack. I hadn't yet put up the fortifications on the top, but I figured they'd pummel the human before he could do much damage. I watch as a veteran marksdwarf runs along the wall to the point of attack and then h--HOLY CRAP WHAT ARE YOU DOING?... he promptly lunges off the wall falling to his instant death. Apparently he was dodging an arrow from the human.

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: August 12, 2010, 06:39:42 pm »

Armorseals is doing well!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I decided I would start building up. Floor two of the tower is the new barracks. I had some fun with the gold.
And I have absolutely no idea what to do with the rest.

EDIT: Year 10 of Armorseals' "Fuck the Elves" policy continues. This year, they left me two bears and an alligator. I think three years back they left me two Giant Desert Scorpions.

EDIT 2: Minutes after posting this, A dragon came and attacked.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:24:56 pm by Fistbeard »
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: August 12, 2010, 07:57:53 pm »

Argh, the Ogres attacked the Fortress again. This time, however, I had a surprise ready for them; Giant Eagles. The Elves in thsi world aren't completley useless since they can supply me with these magnificent beasts. Upon entering the fort, the first Ogre was attacked by the Eagles and ran away in fear. Unfortunately, the second Ogre was able to enter without drawing their attention. So I unleashed the military against them, and they were a spectacular failure. The Ogre punched all of the blood out of one of the poor bastards before I decided to resort to recruiting everyone in the fort to pile themselves on top of the Ogre, which worked.

One of the flaws with my forts is that it takes forever to get the metal industry up and running. But once I do, I shall have my revenge.

Also, here is a screenshot of the main floor of townbrush, just to give an idea about how far it's progressed.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:02:09 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: August 12, 2010, 09:43:08 pm »

MY BLOOD! HE PUNCHED OUT ALL OF MY BLOOD!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: August 12, 2010, 10:50:04 pm »

Why can't you build the well?

In my fort: First dwarven caravan, first mood, and this random immigrant woodcutter is about to be a legendary miner. I know who to draft into my mining corps!
I just wanted to reply to this. I can't build the well because there are fishmen blowgunners at the bottom of my stairwell who can shoot up at least 23 zlevels. My dwarfs see them, or get shot at, and run away instead of being bold and brave

I suppose the lesson here is bring at least one more copper bar than you think you'll need.

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: August 12, 2010, 10:59:04 pm »

I wanted to build a basic immigrant death bridge (the kind that drops them into a pit).
Since I have a bunch of bridges and floodgates linked to one Lever (on:defensive, off:traffic-efficient) i decided to just use one of the bridges i already had... but I couldnt channel underneath them because i build my forts like underground skyscrapers (tight, modular).

tl;dr theres a 3x3 death pit going down the center of my fort ending in the 2nd cavern layer (water).
on the dining hall z-level it's glass so they can all watch immigrants fall while they eat

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: August 12, 2010, 11:57:33 pm »

Too many invaders... goblins and orcs didn't send an invasion for half a year when they were sending them once a season before.  Now I got 2 "A vile force of darkness have arrived" messages back to back.  At least 60 goblins, close to that in mounted orcs, who knows how many trolls...

4 hours later the fight is still happening.  My traps are all jammed, they are mostly designed to just thin the herd instead of repel them outright, but there are so many corpses jammed into them that they aren't even doing that anymore.  Most of my crossbows ran off for a drink or food when I unstationed them for a second so they would reload their quivers, and a good portion of my melee military holding the line have minor wounds.  The fight is only about 1/4th over.  Maybe in fights this big I should stop doting over every single combat report line.

No deaths yet, though a few wardogs are unlikely to live through the battle, and one of my militia captains took an upper spine wound.  No nerves were severed in the upper spine so he's unlikely to be permanently crippled, but he is effectively out of the fight.  And the fortress guard are earning their pay since trolls are often managing to get through the line in the chaos.  I'm never neglecting a fortress guard again.  I would hate to see what would have happened if those trolls entered the meeting hall instead of being bludgeoned to death with maces in the central stairway.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: August 13, 2010, 12:14:44 am »

Man, you guys always get exciting sieges. It's been a decade, and the most I've gotten were a few second-tier [weapon] goblins. It's not even fun slaughtering them anymore.
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: August 13, 2010, 12:21:28 am »

I haven't been able to hold onto a fort long enough to get ambushes in months, how do you stay fixated on one long enough to GET sieges?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: August 13, 2010, 01:06:52 am »

Patience, young Padawan.

Gadrin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: August 13, 2010, 01:11:17 am »

Personally I'm looking for a place to build a new fort, after my previous one went sharply downhill once I accidentally opened the first cavern layer more or less at the very beginning of the game. Definitely didn't expect to hit the cavern at Z -7... There was four soil layers and when I dug down into the third stone layer which was going to be my living quarters... boom! Cavern exposed, and of course I had to enter it right next to a Troll.

It chased my poor miner up the short staircase, and promptly started bashing all my Dwarves' heads open. This was so early in the game that I didn't have a single military dwarf, or even a hint of metal industry. In the end all that was left was a bleeding, tantruming woodcutter with a broken left arm, and his assigned war dog, who together managed to kill the Troll after it had killed everyone else. Guess he was lucky the pair of miners had wounded it before he came back from his woodcutting! And this all happened while I was still in the embark season.

Was kinda fun though!  :P
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 3842