Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107228 times)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4935 on: August 14, 2010, 03:52:03 pm »

A cool thing I just noticed about hospitals - I had a lad who was wounded with a crossbow bolt, and the surgeon removed it successfully ... and the bolt actually was left at the hospital bed (forbidden).  Neat :)

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: August 14, 2010, 04:12:01 pm »

Assigned mooding mason to raw adamantine stockpile burrow. Siege, forgot about him.

Remembered a while later: he was amassing a shitload of adamantine in his workshop. Planepacked at will, people!

Go on, I'm particulary interested if the count number would go crazy and show negative value of the artifact! Maybe that will spark reverse immigration? Nobles and useless peasants leaving the fortress!?

*imagines*

Well, I would be pretty pissed if he died of thirst in the middle of it... trying anyway.
I have rough-ish 50 raw adamantine blocks, we'll see how it goes. Will add some bullcrap microline for the giggles.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: August 14, 2010, 04:17:56 pm »

I just had an armorer go fey. Currently forbidding all metal bars and waiting for McMiner to dig out that one tile of addy... I've already assigned McMoody to my entrance defense burrow. I have a fuckload of steel and gold. Will savescum until breastplate.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: August 14, 2010, 04:24:22 pm »

Doo doo doo...

edit: Dude is still collecting. I hope he won't make a quern with 100 images of a plump helmet on it...

edit2: DOO DOO DOO
Spoiler: whoa. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 05:27:52 pm by Encased in burning magma »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: August 14, 2010, 05:38:38 pm »

Oh god. The goblins just launched an ambush. It's only the third year. I don't recall ever getting ambushes this earlier. I am not ready for this. I haven't gotten the metal industry up and running to make traps yet (haven't found any fuel yet, so we're currently relying on charcoal). Which means that my miltiary is also still using their fists. not that it matters anyways, since only 2 soldiers survived the Ogre attack, and they are both heavily injured. I have no choice but to seal the Fortress and pray the goblins get bored and leave. But I think my fortress might be doomed.

EDIT: Just noticed that 2 Dwarves are still trapped outside. I wonder how long they will last.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 05:45:55 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: August 14, 2010, 05:46:07 pm »

Argh.

Diamond FB lunged for my crazed mason. Miltia commander met it and slashed it in two with his *adamantine battle axe*. He named it "The Fed Rampage", and then passed out and started rotting. Oh god oh god.
Never mind, a little water cleaning and he's all good.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 05:51:49 pm by Encased in burning magma »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: August 14, 2010, 06:15:56 pm »

Did the mason at least survive?

Currently I'm setting up my defenses across the river, I haven't even decided exactly what's going to happen, but i've decided the fort will be defended by marksmen up on towers overlooking the bridges, with melee troops as backup. The entire fort will be trained as part-time soldiers, no shortage of militia, just big prayers that they're mostly successful.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: August 14, 2010, 06:22:37 pm »

Did the mason at least survive?
Yep :D.

Currently I'm setting up my defenses across the river, I haven't even decided exactly what's going to happen, but i've decided the fort will be defended by marksmen up on towers overlooking the bridges, with melee troops as backup. The entire fort will be trained as part-time soldiers, no shortage of militia, just big prayers that they're mostly successful.
Suggestion: spike room with crappy mechanisms and crappy training spears. Legendary shield users in no time!

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: August 14, 2010, 06:24:13 pm »

just found out that even though its just an animal, the grizly bear, unlike dears and foxes, is more than capable of tearing apart recruits sent out for some live practice. the rest of my first little squad finally caugth up with the bear and it turns out none of them had bothered changing their training axes (sounded like a good idea when I started training them) with steel axes, so they barely managed to bruise the bear before it ran off again.

finally got my cistern working, without any accidental Fun, though one of the masons decided to wall herself in 6 times before I managed to trick her into making the wall from the rigth side. Also made a small waterfall trough the barracks too cheer up my grumpy recruits, but will have to rework the drainage, probably by dumping it into the caves. Now that I think about it, it makes more sense to have the drain above the level of the river so the water flows out of the pipe instead of in  :(
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: August 14, 2010, 08:39:17 pm »

Suggestion: spike room with crappy mechanisms and crappy training spears. Legendary shield users in no time!

That reminds me, do you know if the mechanism that links the traps to the lever make a difference as to the upright spike's accuracy? Or just the mechanism that built the upright spike itself?

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: August 14, 2010, 08:54:40 pm »

Argh, why does stockpiling have to be the highest priority task in existence? Designate a food stockpile and the entire fortress shuts down...
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Aik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: August 14, 2010, 09:43:14 pm »

A second army of humans riding alligators and war bears just showed up.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: August 14, 2010, 11:07:31 pm »

Argh, why does stockpiling have to be the highest priority task in existence? Designate a food stockpile and the entire fortress shuts down...

I'm with you on that one. Dumping and stockpiling should be at the bottom of the list.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: August 14, 2010, 11:45:43 pm »

I'm with you on that one. Dumping and stockpiling should be at the bottom of the list.

Ideally, Toady will eventually let us designate the priority levels of various jobs through the (upgraded) in-game interface.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: August 15, 2010, 12:13:23 am »

No coal.  Anywhere.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Wait.  I've got an entire forest's worth of wood.

...Time to piss off the elves AGAIN!

*Thadius has begun a massive burning operation!*
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 3842