Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107235 times)

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4920 on: August 14, 2010, 05:50:07 am »

My first evil beastie o doom turned up!

Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan.
Rather anti-climatically it was made of snow, and after crippling a farming dwarf (it must have swum up my well or something... i had everything locked down in abject terror) it was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten (The kitten showed a rather violent combat log, so that's one cat not getting butchered).
Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!

Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: August 14, 2010, 10:23:17 am »

My first evil beastie o doom turned up!

Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan.
Rather anti-climatically it was made of snow, and after crippling a farming dwarf (it must have swum up my well or something... i had everything locked down in abject terror) it was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten (The kitten showed a rather violent combat log, so that's one cat not getting butchered).
Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!

Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miasma
« Reply #4922 on: August 14, 2010, 10:29:52 am »

So I embarked in a haunted jungle or whatever, first things first, a bunch of zombie elephants right next to the embark.

Fort Miasma Lovespit

The beginning:
The war dogs keep them busy for awhile, but eventually die, leaving me with the last resort of quick-drafting civilians and dog-piling the elephants.
The elephants (about 6 together) are all killed, and my dwarves suffer no injury.

Year 2
About 12 casualties due to a forgotten beast (giant filthy crab with wings). I dump all bodies in the moat surrounding the fort.

The dwarves are still happy because of all the zombie zoos I have.

Urist admired a gold cage lately.
Urist was disgusted by miasma lately.

My fort is filled with miasma, and has miasma "chimneys"... I don't understand how the dwarves are coping with this so well.

A moody dwarf built an elephant bone floor grate and I'm using this for a "special" chimney surrounded by zombie elephant cages. The miasma is comming from 3 z levels down from the zombie animal stocks. The "Shaft" is above ground, obsidian, with a lever to open and close the grate. I'm not sure what I'm gonna use a miasma chimney for though... I don't think anyone else has, so I feel special.

Thoughts
I think miasma is the general theme here. This is the creepiest fort I've ever had.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:34:42 am by Macalano »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: August 14, 2010, 10:37:29 am »

I just managed to head off a tantrum spiral that was slowly gathering momentum. My fort had 200 dwarves, exactly half of which were in the military (of which the majority was equipped with masterwork/exceptional steel armor and axes). After being hit with two large goblin sieges in quick succession, about ten dwarfs died in battle and another ten or so were languishing in hospital. Everyone was grumpy. And then one by one, they began succumbing to tantruming. I was actually too busy with cleanup operations to realize it at first, it was only when I noticed that my population had dropped to 167 that I put 2 and 2 together (there was a _lot_ of cleanup to occupy my attention). Unfortunately my dwarves always seemed grumpiest when they were on duty, and I always had squads guarding my inner and outer drawbridges, so both of those got smashed by tantrumers in short order. So when I set my whole military to inactive to get them to go cool their heels in the legendary dining hall (minus their murder-enabling axes) it was a bit of a risk. But I got the drawbridges rebuilt in short order, my dwarves calmed down, and the extra civilian manpower allowed me to finish cleaning up the corpse pile months ahead of schedule.

Dwarf Fortress stories are a bit dull when everything works out, aren't they? :)

If you have such a huge military, go invade the HFS.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: August 14, 2010, 10:38:07 am »

So the good news is that I got my hospital working a treat finally. It took ages to find anybody who would diagnose people, but now that I have found one, it works a treat. It looks prpoper hospitally as well, a built floor, white featherwood beds and microcline cyan tables.

The bad news is that five of my best militia were slaughtered by goblin crossbowmen. Thier bronze armour gave them no protection. Bum, they were legendary+3 to +5 too.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: August 14, 2010, 11:33:11 am »

I got an awesome name for a fortress, and the dwarves start on open space, landing 30z below and dieing. (or close enough)
:-[
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: August 14, 2010, 11:54:36 am »

A trio of Ogres beat an Elven caravan to death with sunberries.

A dwarven caravan just left, but one speardwarf stopped three tiles from the map edge starring after the caravan. He has changed on the units list from merchant to friendly.

That's an interesting bug. Was he doing anything while he was there?

Not that I could tell.
However, he has since disappeared while I was elsewhere on the map. No combat reports, so I guess he just left, eventually.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: August 14, 2010, 01:47:46 pm »

A trio of Ogres beat an Elven caravan to death with sunberries.

A dwarven caravan just left, but one speardwarf stopped three tiles from the map edge starring after the caravan. He has changed on the units list from merchant to friendly.

That's an interesting bug. Was he doing anything while he was there?

Not that I could tell.
However, he has since disappeared while I was elsewhere on the map. No combat reports, so I guess he just left, eventually.

It's common behaviour - the caravan guard stops before the edge, gets 'Friendly' status, and few days later he just resumed his 'leaving'.
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: August 14, 2010, 01:51:00 pm »

I intend to. I'm in the process of getting everything juuuuust right.

It actually worked out quite well, I built a cathedral for my dwarfs on a whim (there was a cave formation down in the third cavern level that sort of looked like one so I hollowed it out), and it turns out that there's a pillar of Fun located directly underneath the "altar" at the front. I only noticed it when I punctured the magma sea nearby to build some magma smelters. So that's where the stairs down will be carved. I expect I'll have a lengthy entry for this thread soon. :)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: August 14, 2010, 02:08:09 pm »

God damn Ogres. Theirs never a boring moment in Townbrush between the Ogres and Cave Zombies constantly tearing Dwarves to pieces. Normally when they wander onto the map, I just order everyone to go inside. But then my Giant Eagles apparently caught site of the Ogres, so they flew down to kill them. I wasn't going to let my Eagles die, so I ordered my military to go attack the Ogres. Of course everyone in my military is an idiot so this didn't work well.

They all charged at the Ogres one at a time, rather than work as a team. This meant that the Ogres were easily able to slaughter them one by one. The first one didn't even arrive in time to save my Eagles. He got punched so hard he flew into the ocean and drowned. The second one just got beaten to a pulp. Then they started arriving in groups, so I thought this might be the turning point (it wasn't). One of the Ogres became a major badass, slaughtering almost all of the Dwarves. My military started out at 10 Dwarves, and now it's down to 3. The ogres were starting to leave the map, but then my idiot Marksdwarf shows up (he was to busy drinking and eating to help earlier). He tries to beat the Ogre to death with his crossbow, which was about as effective as it sounds. So he got crushed, and now the Ogres are pissed off again. So it's time to draft everyone in the Fortress and pray they can scratch the Ogres to death. Again.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: August 14, 2010, 02:12:16 pm »

I intend to. I'm in the process of getting everything juuuuust right.

It actually worked out quite well, I built a cathedral for my dwarfs on a whim (there was a cave formation down in the third cavern level that sort of looked like one so I hollowed it out), and it turns out that there's a pillar of Fun located directly underneath the "altar" at the front. I only noticed it when I punctured the magma sea nearby to build some magma smelters. So that's where the stairs down will be carved. I expect I'll have a lengthy entry for this thread soon. :)

There better be a screencap of the bloodbath in the cathedral. I want to see dead HFS.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: August 14, 2010, 02:31:19 pm »

Thank you for the wonderful DF sig! :D

All I've got to add to the thread is: had a few goblin thieves try to snatch the children gathered around the war-dog I had tied up at the entrance to my fort.  Then when that failed, try to kill a kitten there.  Both times the goblins ended up pincushioned by my hunters before making it far.  In both cases they were first hit in the spine with a wood or bone bolt damaging the nervous tissue, then hit in the throat and bleeding heavily from a major artery, then hit at least two more times, usually the hands or legs, before the hunting dog gets to them!

Now to figure out the military and training so I can defend against the elven caravans inevitable seiges I'm sure to face. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: August 14, 2010, 02:39:28 pm »

Thank you for the wonderful DF sig! :D

You're welcome ;)
SigFlags!

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: August 14, 2010, 03:42:08 pm »

Assigned mooding mason to raw adamantine stockpile burrow. Siege, forgot about him.

Remembered a while later: he was amassing a shitload of adamantine in his workshop. Planepacked at will, people!
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: August 14, 2010, 03:48:06 pm »

Assigned mooding mason to raw adamantine stockpile burrow. Siege, forgot about him.

Remembered a while later: he was amassing a shitload of adamantine in his workshop. Planepacked at will, people!

Go on, I'm particulary interested if the count number would go crazy and show negative value of the artifact! Maybe that will spark reverse immigration? Nobles and useless peasants leaving the fortress!?

*imagines*
SigFlags!
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 3842