Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100577 times)

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4230 on: July 16, 2010, 11:10:32 pm »

My king just threw a tantrum, and left two dwarves injured, one with a yellow wound, and one of my armorers with two red ones. (I'm playing 40d.) He's going to die for that.
I'm waiting to get a legendary anything-smith before I start using all the clownite I mined out. I've got 194 pieces ready to use, and I'm near-positive I'm only one z-level above the hidden fun stuff.
I'm waiting for some more steel, so I can keep equipping my military in -full- steel so I don't have a champion out of commission for a year because of two iron bolts in the leg. Again.
Also, I'm trying to figure out what I should DO, now that I have a legendary glassmaker.
Magma. No exceptions. I like exploiting it for free building materials.
Sorry to disappoint, I just starved him to death in his golden room. I don't trust myself making magma-based execution chambers right now; I'm still pretty bad at this game.
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: July 17, 2010, 01:23:56 am »

I think he meant you should make green glass with magma. Masterwork giant serrated green glass blades are worth 3402DB each or so.
くコ:彡

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: July 17, 2010, 01:49:13 am »

I think he meant you should make green glass with magma. Masterwork giant serrated green glass blades are worth 3402DB each or so.
No kidding? Damn, might need to look into that pronto.
As of two minutes before posting this, my armorer that the late king crippled is dragging himself to the magma forges on his left hand and his left upper leg, intent on making something. Manly tears commencing.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: July 17, 2010, 02:35:59 am »

Manly tears all around.
Got my first 31.10 artifact. A cedar barrel. Woo hoo.
I have made steel armor for both of my military dwarves and am readying to send them into the caverns to kill some ant people so I can get my precious adamantine that is there.

Off topic:
Fistbeard, where did you get your avatar? It's oddly fitting of Dwarf Fortress.

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: July 17, 2010, 02:40:13 am »

Manly tears all around.
Got my first 31.10 artifact. A cedar barrel. Woo hoo.
I have made steel armor for both of my military dwarves and am readying to send them into the caverns to kill some ant people so I can get my precious adamantine that is there.

Off topic:
Fistbeard, where did you get your avatar? It's oddly fitting of Dwarf Fortress.
Really, a friend of mine just pasted the link in Steam chat one day. A week later I decided to try out DF, and once I decided to sign up for the forums, I realized it was a fantastic avatar to use.

In other news, secretive armorer has passed out a dozen or so times, has six items in the production queue, and is going for more. Also, we're now under siege, right when I was expecting the Dwarven caravan. Really need those supplies, since the humans got pissed and left for no reason. Goblins are half a catapult shot away from the bridge, and I'm somewhat worried my armorer is gonna want more bones.
EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Glorious.
'NOTHER EDIT:
Libash Nishtatlosh, Armorer has created Gasttomus Batoknicat, an Adamantine shoe!
...Son of a bitch.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:53:59 am by Fistbeard »

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: July 17, 2010, 05:22:57 am »

The dwarves have just finished the first two levels of my arena, the trade depot (both floodable by liquid of choice) and the holding tanks for said liquids. Now I am out of marble blocks already. -.-
I guess, I have to swiss cheese the whole map to get enough of that stone together. At least the pump stack is rebuilt and the magma casting can continue. Also I now need to find a way to fit the temple of armok and 4 dwarven rocket engines onto the same z-level, because both need to be at the bottom for obvious reasons. (The altar shall be the endpoint of a maximum z-level execution shaft, so the worshippers are doused with blood and body parts during mass)  :D
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: July 17, 2010, 11:25:27 am »

I had a little accident in my underwater fort a hour or so ago. Constructed a wall in the wrong spot, and it collapsed and crashed straight through the underwater fort's bedroom structure's roof, causing it to fill with water instantly. Some dwarves tried to escape, and opened the door to the central spire, flooding it aswell. No one could get out as the spire was the only way to the surface. Half of my fort died in the bedroom structure. In the end, around 5 dwarves out of 37 managed to escape to the surface, with 5 more dwarves trapped in various un-flooded structures in the fort.

One child, one miner, my chief medical dwarf and two farmers. The chief medical dwarf was stuck alone in my dining building. The road/pipe that lead there was flooded so he couldn't get out. He died of thirst soon after.

The rest had access to the lever room and the food stockpile/farm structure. One of the farmers went berserk, so I recruited the other farmer who killed him, but lost his right leg in the process. The miner went stark raving mad and started babbling from the shock of almost the entire fort dying horribly by drowning. The legless farmer tantrumed and destroyed a door, flooding the lever building (that had a lot of levers controlling the farm irrigation systems/surface bridges/hatches/vertical bars/doors etc.), and drowned. The child was now the only survivor in the underwater fort, with no way to get out. He then went mad and died of starvation.

The survivors at the surface killed eachother with tantruming and the help of a berserk milker.

I then savescummed.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

ChrisTheTsunami

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: July 17, 2010, 11:30:05 am »

After learning that cougars aren't aggressive enough to attack goblins, I learned the risky way that my military is finally competent.
Lost a bone carver to a mood because of lack of shells again; not so bad this time because it was the first item(s) needed instead of the very last in one.
Right after I got a really early ambush in the summer before the human caravans even came. Would have had a lot less civilians deaths if I didn't screw up trapping a snatcher and cause the dwarves to take round about way to plant seeds or gather plants. Lost two of my fish cleaners and one of my better planter, loosing my almost useless crossbow dwarves to stop anything important from dieing before my military could make it. Would have proubly suffered greater losses in my military if my hammer dwarf didn't enter a martial trance and tank the entire ambush so everyone else could just attack. For a milker I sarcastically named "MightyWeatmen" this guy is turning out to be pretty bad ass.
Have a few unhappy dwarves after, so I might be in luck to have my first tantrum spiral.
"They say that adding soy sauce to pudding gives the taste of sea urchin, but really, adding soy sauce to pudding only gives the taste of soy sauce and pudding"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: July 17, 2010, 01:47:23 pm »

So your hammerdwarf was the party's army's meatshield? Or was he more of a dodge-shield?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: July 17, 2010, 02:09:30 pm »

After realizing that my fort was pretty unprotected, I decided to train up a military.  Going with full ada swordsdwarves, since evidence suggests that's the best method for dwarves versus lesser metals or unarmored opponents.  I'm playing a coward's game until I can get DOMAIN online, so that means a trap corridor and airtight seals on everything.  Mostly keeping the adamantine crew around because I'd rather have them trained up and not need them than the other way around.  Mind you, if I finish the first ring or two of magma reservoirs prior to all of this, then their job will be strictly mopping up the tiny, fleshy goblin bits. 

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: July 17, 2010, 02:32:43 pm »

Soo many half finished forts, so i present to you for your hopeful delectation a random scribble of mine from my bridge of death fort;

First diary entry of Obok Ralukurvad, mayor of this fledgling mountainkeep, and leader of the initial scouting party, The Strapping Oar of The Equal Staff. The date is 2nd Granite 1055. Spring has just brought the wet season to us once again, which dours the spirits of at least half the fortress that I have assigned to the first great wonder to be known throughout the Universe of Prophecies, this small keep, this noble Bloatedguts the Belches of Ages.
It was our illustrious architect that devised a great series of bridges leading to a trade depot pushed into the sky and surrounded by lava on all sides to make sure we get the best deal out of any whom wish to trade with us, so far the supports are almost finished, towering it several levels above the ground, each bridge is engineered to alternately throw any unwanted hellions off into ponds if they're lucky, later additions will deal with a more purifying landing spot, tests shall have to be carried out for ideal trajectories, and the great standing towers that guard over the midway of the bridge have had their foundations laid, all is proceeding at best pace.
The morale is holding, but I worry that if I push them any harder their minds will completely succumb to the whispers some say they hear whilst sleeping in the magma fueled workshops which sit a good 140 levels down from our upper tier halls, down by the recently discovered adamantine vein, I have stopped all smelting, we have more than enough bars for the moment, and the bridge and escarpment walls must be finished by the end of this year, we have too long been unperturbed by any invasions. This brings me to the next difficult decision who to draft into the military so we might clear out some of the underground caverns, as I think the dwarves grow tired of the sun, and would like more time to drink and make merry in the non haunted hall, and perhaps build a zoo to lift their spirits.
The Wardog breeding program is still in it's early stages but I must say they seem the toughest wardogs i've ever seen, all gigantic in stature and some truly remarkable specimens with enormous muscles, once the bridges are done they shall need only the finest guard dogs to stand watch, but all in good time. I grow worried for some of our craftsmen, as admittedly fine pieces of craft they are, why on earth did they take it upon themselves to fashion legendary thongs, one of donkey leather named 'Brightwoods' and the other a giant cave spider silk thong named 'The Siege of Breaching'. As soon as the bridge and low walls are finished and the scaffolding removed, I think its time for a year long lock in, I only hope we find more underground seeds, as everything is derived from plump helmets, our cooks and brewers do wonders, but I crave some better booze.
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: July 17, 2010, 03:18:32 pm »

Oh dear, a merchant's mule went berserk and killed a few people, starting off a tantrum spiral.  Now just a berserk miner and a mad doctor left, waiting out the inevitable...
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: July 17, 2010, 03:31:20 pm »

I think my current fort sets the record for number of violent deaths in any of my forts. This is offset by the fact that I've got a female war elephant and several males as well as recently bagging a female giant tiger. I don't know if they'll get any use. All the deaths were due to a flying leech FB and a giant toad. Not even so much as a kobold thief yet, and I'm in my third year.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: July 17, 2010, 03:34:52 pm »

I got sick of the harpy/beakdog loop (harpies leave the map, two minutes later a swarm of beakdogs show up) in my current fort, so I removed brains from the harpy RAWS  so I actually had a chance to get something done.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: July 17, 2010, 07:24:10 pm »

Several years ago a goblin master thief decloaked next to one of my dwarves and a tug-of-war ensued over the dwarf's baby. The goblin ultimately resolved the matter in a Solomonic manner, severing the child's arm and stuffing him into the bag. I of course ordered my gate guards to run over and rescue the tot, but it was already too late - the baby died of blood loss and the goblin had too much of a head start. He escaped with the baby's corpse and I was left with nothing to do but give the baby's arm a burial and deliver a corsage to the grieving parents.

Fast forward to today. I've just started a major fortress renovation cycle that involves ripping open the mountaintop over my main entrance ramp/shaft, to build a tower out of solid gold on the peak. This means I briefly have direct access from the surface world into the heart of my fort, and of course the thieves start taking advantage of this to sneak deep underground before being spotted. Each time one does I check the contents of its sack to see what resources I should devote to the thief's capture - if there's nothing it's only worth sending a few guards, if it's already had the chance to steal something I send a whole squad or two. A master thief decloaks. Oddly, he's got two sacks. I check the first one; empty. I check the second... it's _him_. He's come back, and he still has that dead baby in his sack after all these years.

I order my entire military, a full half of the population of my fort of 200 souls, to drop everything and KILL THAT GOBLIN. The central shaft fills with a thunderous ringing roar from below - shouts of vengeance and the clash of masterwork steel plate boots on stone block floors. The goblin shrieks and runs for his life.

Little bastard was fast, and agile. He dodges his way past three wardogs without taking a scratch. But they slow him down and by the time he gets outside the fastest and most experienced of my warriors is hot on his heels. It's still a close race, I have no idea who will win it until finally, just three tiles from the edge of the map, the dwarven warrior reaches the goblin and delivers a terrible blow from behind with his masterwork steel battleaxe.

The axe slams into the back of the goblin's head, shattering the skull, and lodges there. The goblin is still alive, though whether he's remotely aware of what's just happened to him is unknown. Indeed, who knows what the goblin's been thinking all these years, carrying the tiny corpse of his previous failure around with him like that? A grisly trophy or a shameful reminder? The dwarf twists the axe blade back and forth, goblin skull splintering and widening the wound. The goblin finally drops the baby.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 3842