Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100408 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4245 on: July 17, 2010, 07:53:04 pm »

Doing preliminary designing for my new megaproject, damming a few rivers, then digging a massive caldera, building my fortress out of Glass, then releasing the rivers and allowing it to flood, complete with airlocks, submarine bays, and the like.

like if atlantis and sealab 2012 had a baby
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: July 17, 2010, 10:05:40 pm »

An epic tale.

...thus finally bringing closure to the poor child's family. I am constantly amazed by the stories DF prompts us to tell. That's why I love this game, even when I'm just reading about other people playing it.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: July 18, 2010, 12:33:16 am »

Following on from my last post, a pic of the early WIP view of the
Bridge of Death™ (patent pending), which is set up in pairs each flipping opposite directions off the bridge, eventually i was going to dam the entire low parts of the map and flood the lot, would like to with magma, but perhaps water first whilst i bring that much magma up and wall it off :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: July 18, 2010, 02:04:20 am »

Agedhelms is progressing along nicely..if a bit slowly. The drowning chambers are well underway hopefully they'll be finished before the first siege arrives, which I fear will be soon as I just discovered I have a temple to the hfs on my map. As of right now I am defenseless my two fledgling soldiers died killing a fireman -currently smoothing and engraving burial chambers for both. Also my brook freezes in the winter, need to be sure to keep the reservoir filled.
Currently keeping an eye on the magma man that swims into and off of my screen from time to time.
Also hoping the giant dessert scorpions or giant eagle will comeback and crawl/fly into my traps rather than the elk and camels and the f'ing macaque. Think Im going to toss the macaques into the volcano rather than train em.

Something just stole my artifact copper flute, thankfully the creator doesnt seem to care much.

FUCK MACAQUES!!!!
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: July 18, 2010, 02:46:36 am »

Desperately hoping my food and booze will last out until the second dwarven caravan.

I embarked on a freezing glacier with the standard 'play now' settings. Those settings really don't work for this environment. The only logs are those that make up the wagon and there isn't quite enough food and drink to last until the caravan. Another source of food/booze is required. After digging a rudimentary shelter -- so cramped I have to keep deconstructing and rebuilding workshops -- I started digging down looking for the caverns and magma sea. Well I didn't find any, so by the start of the first autumn, all 15 dwarves were thirsty/dehydrated. I neglected to brew all my plump helmets but I'm not sure it would have helped having starving dwarves instead.

Late autumn is when my dwarves started dropping dead of dehydration. So when the caravan arrived I put all 15 dwarves on hauling duty, hauling stone junk up to the depot one item at a time (no wood for bins, no magma for metal bins) My expedition leader keeled over in the middle of talking to the outpost liaison. "A diplomat has left unhappy". A replacement expedition leader tantrummed, started a fist fight and attacked a guard dog chained up by the entrance... with his axe. I was down to three dwarves (from 15) before I managed to get any trading done. And one of those, yet  another expedition leader, had taken to "resting" in the one bed, a second was waiting at his bedside with "attend meeting". My sole remaining useful dwarf managed to complete a trade for the single barrel of booze the traders had brought and immediately quaffed some booze, the bedside hoverer then went up to the depot, berzerked, and was dealt with by the caravan guards. The bedridden dwarf expired.

My single survivor (I renamed his profession "survivor") spent the winter hauling food from the depot to the stockpile, building native gold coffins and burying the corpses.

And then spring came and twenty-two migrants arrived. *facepalm*

With the replacement miners occupied with s..l..o..w..l..y digging exploratory passages, the living and working quarters are still cramped. Despite the mass dumping of lots of dwarven clothes and stone goods, getting them closer to the depot in the process, I have lots of idle dwarves. That led to three marriages, one of them including my survivor -- a very rapid courtship!

I had a load of plump helmets from the caravan and just enough logs to turn into barrels to restart booze brewing. Of course the elves and humans didn't show up. Autumn has begun and the dwarves haven't run out of booze yet but it's going to be close.

It's the most fun I've had with a fortress in ages.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 02:48:48 am by lazygun »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: July 18, 2010, 04:11:51 am »

Desperately hoping my food and booze will last out until the second dwarven caravan.

I embarked on a freezing glacier with the standard 'play now' settings. Those settings really don't work for this environment. The only logs are those that make up the wagon and there isn't quite enough food and drink to last until the caravan. Another source of food/booze is required. After digging a rudimentary shelter -- so cramped I have to keep deconstructing and rebuilding workshops -- I started digging down looking for the caverns and magma sea. Well I didn't find any, so by the start of the first autumn, all 15 dwarves were thirsty/dehydrated. I neglected to brew all my plump helmets but I'm not sure it would have helped having starving dwarves instead.

Late autumn is when my dwarves started dropping dead of dehydration. So when the caravan arrived I put all 15 dwarves on hauling duty, hauling stone junk up to the depot one item at a time (no wood for bins, no magma for metal bins) My expedition leader keeled over in the middle of talking to the outpost liaison. "A diplomat has left unhappy". A replacement expedition leader tantrummed, started a fist fight and attacked a guard dog chained up by the entrance... with his axe. I was down to three dwarves (from 15) before I managed to get any trading done. And one of those, yet  another expedition leader, had taken to "resting" in the one bed, a second was waiting at his bedside with "attend meeting". My sole remaining useful dwarf managed to complete a trade for the single barrel of booze the traders had brought and immediately quaffed some booze, the bedside hoverer then went up to the depot, berzerked, and was dealt with by the caravan guards. The bedridden dwarf expired.

My single survivor (I renamed his profession "survivor") spent the winter hauling food from the depot to the stockpile, building native gold coffins and burying the corpses.

And then spring came and twenty-two migrants arrived. *facepalm*

With the replacement miners occupied with s..l..o..w..l..y digging exploratory passages, the living and working quarters are still cramped. Despite the mass dumping of lots of dwarven clothes and stone goods, getting them closer to the depot in the process, I have lots of idle dwarves. That led to three marriages, one of them including my survivor -- a very rapid courtship!

I had a load of plump helmets from the caravan and just enough logs to turn into barrels to restart booze brewing. Of course the elves and humans didn't show up. Autumn has begun and the dwarves haven't run out of booze yet but it's going to be close.

It's the most fun I've had with a fortress in ages.

I'll bet the dwarf who was waiting for a meeting with the crippled expedition leader was the one who beat him up so badly he ended up in bed.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: July 18, 2010, 07:59:26 am »

A stray bolt from a goblin missed its intended target and hit a farmer in his upper body, piercing his right kidney. He went to the hospital with a bolt sticking out of his back, then the chief medical dwarf took it out and sutured his kidney. Glad to have a working medical system.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: July 18, 2010, 12:20:17 pm »

I got a tiny six-goblin ambush, but they found an opening I had overlooked and got underground.  I savescummed to a few minutes before the ambush.  After walling up a few unprotected spots, I got a three-squad siege instead. 
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: July 18, 2010, 02:57:53 pm »

After a hiatus, I came back to DF following the release of .10.  Definitely liking the improvements, and I've got an interesting fort on an island completely dominated by dwarves and humans.  I decided to add some story elements and have my dwarves be pioneers setting out for the hot, humid untamed swampland in the south (which, incidentally has a ton of trees, sand and flux).  Since there's no goblins, taming the caverns and digging deep will be priorities.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 03:00:28 pm by Vercingetorix »
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: July 18, 2010, 03:08:40 pm »

One of my miner dwarfs got himself stuck in my extensive water system - which is basically all the rivers on the map converging onto my fort by this point. Since he was going to drown at this rate, I made him dig underground, and then dig his way across the ENTIRE MAP to get out of being drowned. This was all part of a plan for an epic fort defense - since my fort is in the topmost part of a mountain, all the raids come form the mountain base. By digging my way across the map away from and incoming tsunami of 7 deep water, I had made a readily-floodible booby trap to wash them back down the mountain again thanks to a little lever+floodgate combo I have.
I was able to test this on a leaving elf caravan due to excelent timing on the minerdwarfs part.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: July 18, 2010, 03:20:43 pm »

I just dug out three complete z-levels. I'm swimming in native copper and hematite, to the point that I have about five thousand bars of copper + about two thousands of it in multiple constructions. Iron is spared until I hit some flux, and I just hit galena. Oh, and I'm getting strange moods like it's Christmas. Fun.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: July 18, 2010, 03:21:25 pm »

Once I start getting children growing up (which is later this season) I think I'll start the transformation of Honoredsalve into a Fortress Monastery. We'll have plenty of war wolves to go with our leather clad Monks.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: July 18, 2010, 03:40:20 pm »

Urist Mcmayor has made a demand
1/1 bolts

Things are going well in my fortress.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: July 18, 2010, 03:55:23 pm »

Bandithall is going quite well.
I've discovered a massive gold vein, which provided me with about 20 nuggets.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: July 18, 2010, 04:29:10 pm »

Urist Mcmayor has made a demand
1/1 bolts

Things are going well in my fortress.

Heh.

Fancy to share your mayor with me? :D
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 3842