Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100284 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4260 on: July 18, 2010, 04:29:53 pm »

Bandithall is going quite well.
I've discovered a massive gold vein, which provided me with about 20 nuggets.

That's not massive.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: July 18, 2010, 04:36:57 pm »

Bandithall is going quite well.
I've discovered a massive gold vein, which provided me with about 20 nuggets.

That's not massive.
It's not done yet.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: July 18, 2010, 04:38:53 pm »

I'm just building bedrooms in my nano-fort built around a volcano, needless to say they are very small bedrooms.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: July 18, 2010, 04:39:25 pm »

After 8 years, things are looking up for Oiledkindled.
The city was founded in the year 1050. Its peak thus far was about 110 dwarves in the beginning of 1053. However, its army consisted of only a single, legendary axedwarf. During the first goblin attack, marksgoblins took point over my open air courtyard while another squad of melee goblins attacked the gates. The axedwarf fended off the melee squad; in the meantime, the marksgoblin peppered the courtyard with bolts, killing 3 dwarves and wounding several more. Luckily, the melee squad fled, and as they did so also did the marksgoblins. In the following year, I built a large wall surrounding the courtyard to keep such a disaster from occuring.

As they fled, a goblin thief made himself known. He killed a woodcutter in his initial attack, and I sent my axedwarf to intercept him as he ran to the gate. The axedwarf was severely wounded, but was taken to the hospital and recovered adequately to go back on duty before the next goblin incursion.

The next year, as the goblins came, they made it clear that my military would be insufficient. the axedwarf was quickly surrounded by macegoblins and slowly beaten to death. Before dieing, nearly every body part was mangled. The list of wounds stretched two and a half pages. Goblins then made their way into my fort before I managed to stop them by locking the door between my courtyard and the inner fort. The number of casualties sustained began an epic tantrum spiral.

The tantrum spiral lasted over a year, decimating the population: there were only 16 survivors, half of whom were children. They managed to survive relatively well after that and even had enough time left over to dig out a nice burial chamber and begin burrying the nearly 100 dead dwarves. During this period, the goblins launched their first seige. Without the aid of building destroyers, I merely locked the doors and kept my small number of dwarves safe.

Due to the goblin seige and other goblin raids, I was unable to go out and recover much of my dead soldier's full steel armor. Raccoons stole all but a single boot and gauntlet. I suspect they are up to something...

Among other various critter incursions due to an unsecured garbage chute (down from my near-surface fort to the magma seas at -60), there was a forgotten beast who managed to climb its way up. In a moment of poetic justice, my military dwarves attacked, sending it flying all the way back down the garbage chute and into a magma sea 30 layers below.

My numbers are now at 39, and the goblins sent another seige. This one had trolls and Giant Olm mounts. My traps took out most of the trolls, allowing me enough time to wall the front gate-tunnel to avoid a massive number of goblins getting in. A few more years and I shall have a wonderful lava trap built for them; but work is slow, since it requires a 55 z level pump stack; a stack which I have yet to figure out how I shall power.

8 years in now, and my courtyard's walls are lined with coffins of the dead in addition to my underground burial site. Even 4 years after the end of the tantrum spiral, I am still producing coffins for the dead dwarves.

Oh, and on a sidenote, the dwarves are housed in dumbbell tenement buildings underground.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: July 18, 2010, 05:26:09 pm »

Goblin ambushes mostly. Worst injury to my soldiers so far is that my speardwarf got hit in the left arm by a silver arrow, which penetrated through his bronze gauntlet into his skin and fat layers. Didn't go deep enough to hit muscle, so no arteries got severed thankfully. The only other injury was a goblin hammerman who hit my commander's chest with his warhammer and bruised his upper body and heart through the steel breastplate and mail shirt thanks to blunt damage. It healed in seconds though so nothing serious happened.

I've lost around 10 civilians in total who were left outside, though.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: July 18, 2010, 06:02:02 pm »

Had my first ambush. Uncovered by a mad dwarf (failed mood). Lost him and my weaponsmith who just had to get his socks.
Drowning chambers work flawlessly...or would have if the brook hadnt frozen over. Need to expand the resevoir I think.
 Ended up letting the caravan and goblins out together. Goblins won.
 Least I have lots of free stuff. Also the freezing water created an excelent plug keeping the surviving goblins out of my fort.
 Now that spring thaw is here gona finish my pump and move my farms into the fort proper then start digging out the larger reservoir  and other workshop areas.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: July 18, 2010, 08:09:02 pm »

Locked a kid into the workshop, as he needs shells and I don't have any. if he's harmless once he fails he'll be released to spend the last of his days among the ones who love him. then he'll probably fling himself into the magma pit.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: July 18, 2010, 08:59:36 pm »

I'm swimming in gold - I hit a jackpot of 80+ nuggets in a vein.

Of course, this site doesn't have magma, and I didn't bring an anvil. >_>

TREESLAUGHTERNG, COMMENCE!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: July 18, 2010, 09:22:02 pm »

Finally decided to dig into the caverns and beyond into the magma sea. All 3 caverns are flooded. Completely. Only a few dry patches remain, which are filled with GCS webs...

Punched into the magma sea at zlvl -freaking 140. Thankfully on the way I found 4 GIANT gold deposits, plenty of gems and other goodies. Will be my first time setting up a magma smelt area so hopefully I don't roast my dorfs.

In other news:

The bronze colossus Mudob Satasmrar Ongoruslu has come!  A gigantic magic statue made of bronze and bent on mayhem.
It has started raining.

The mood was set.
Against my better judgment I don't send out my pet dragon, but my 18 man army. They fight the thing for 2 months almost...

The important parts are:

The Speardwarf stabs The Bronze Colossus in the left foot with his {ðsteel spearð}, fracturing it! (this happened about 2 weeks in. The rest was them bashing and fracturing every single part of its body.)
The Bronze Colossus falls over.

This Speardwarf also seems to have taken lessons from Leonidas...

The Speardwarf stabs The Bronze Colossus in the right lower leg with his {ðsteel spearð}, fracturing it!
The Bronze Colossus strikes at The Speardwarf but the shot is blocked!
The Speardwarf stabs The Bronze Colossus in the lower body with his {ðsteel spearð}, fracturing it!
The Bronze Colossus strikes at The Speardwarf but the shot is blocked!
The Axedwarf hacks The Bronze Colossus in the upper body with her *steel battle axe*, denting it!
The Speardwarf stabs The Bronze Colossus in the head with his {ðsteel spearð}, chipping it!

This kept going for the entire battle. The thing didn't land a single hit.

The militia captain hacks The Bronze Colossus in the fourth finger, right hand with his *steel battle axe* and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Swordsdwarf slashes The Bronze Colossus in the right upper leg from the side with his ðsteel short swordð and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Moldath Ekuringiz Ottan Thetust has become a Swordmaster.
The Swordmaster stabs The Bronze Colossus in the head from the side with his ðsteel short swordð and the severed part sails off in an arc!

My second "Champion"! My first died from bleeding to death from getting shot in the pinky on his right hand... but this was in 31.08. Also these things are apparently killable now. Sweet!

This statue should make a nice decoration in the queen's chambers. Been digging these out, engraving and decorating in a grand style for a while. I have fulfilled all requirements so she should be coming soon...

Some migrants have arrived.

Hmm, well then...

Sazir Onulegul, queen has died of old age.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: July 18, 2010, 10:45:48 pm »

After finally completing most of my magma reservoirs, I'm left with an utter lack of things to empty them on.  Snatchers and kobolds make poor targets if their decloaking is always inside my trap corridor, or on the point of my militarys' swords.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: July 19, 2010, 01:17:10 am »

I'm going to build a mighty dwarven metropolis! If I build it out of range of any other towns, I can cover the entire local region with a sprawling city, including a mighty citadel in the center, and thanks to the new system for abandonment it won't be permanently abandoned! or maybe my last couple abandoned forts i checked on just read as occupied because they were built on top of other towns/had a foomen tribe that re-occupied them. Am I looking at this wrong? Still an awesome idea to build a massive city in DF, covering the local region(and beyond?) entirely. Minimum wealth/pop for abandonment: 300-400k and 40 dwarves. I could do humans, but it would be equally awesome for the forts to be interconnected/entirely underground as well and that would also be weird considering we humans don't survive well without light, oxygen-rich non-toxic air, extreme temperatures, or horrifying monsters composed of shit with wings that gas you to death.)

Also means I'd have to ensure no invaders or other forms of horror survive at the time I abandon. Also perfect chance for a civ that was destroyed to spring back to life.

All based on my possibly flawed knowledge that abandoned sites are reclaimable by your civ if no invaders live there at the time of abandonment.

Am I just being an idiot or is this feasible? It would require a level of dedication and focus that I by all accounts lack.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: July 19, 2010, 01:50:27 am »

You're very enthusiastic. That's to be admired. Your method of posting could certainly be obnoxious to some readers, but don't be discouraged. Just remember that less is more, and that it's best to read over your posts a couple of times and see if you can improve them. Notice that my particular problem is wordiness.

In answer to your question:
The sites are "occupied" because you aren't using the "Reclaim" feature. As DF has already generated the content at those points, and it's fixed, the program will not let you embark in the usual way on any area already partially occupied by a site you have abandoned. This is primarily to prevent conflicts in programming that DF is currently unable to overcome: due to the way DF operates, the normal embarkation programming would not allow the preservation of your site. There is a separate feature when selecting your fortress location, called "Reclaim", and you can only use the exact same site you used previously.
You will not be able to link your sites, as you cannot directly affect the tiles at the edge of the map. However, there's a way around this now: the natural caverns are linked, and thus you can travel between adjacent fortress sites via the underground while in Adventure mode.
Finally: I have not experimented extensively with visiting abandoned sites in Adventure mode, but I am told that they remain intact if you leave while no enemies occupy your site. So it should theoretically be possible for you to establish many adjacent fortresses, link them via the underground caverns, and then visit them and observe what appears to be a strong dwarven metropolis :)

I would appreciate it if someone with better information would supplement what I have provided and correct any mistakes I have made.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: July 19, 2010, 02:03:03 am »

(40d, by the way.)

After mightily screwing up my previous fort, I started a new one which is going smoothly. I have one of the best magma storage systems I've ever built, a hammer-shaped barracks, two marksdwarves devouring the surrounding forest with their training, and one of the smallest migrant waves I've ever experienced - only seven dwarves.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: July 19, 2010, 02:04:51 am »

Just embarked on a pretty normal site, water, trees, rock, etc. Just having a debate with myself about what I shall do and I put the decision to you, all of you. Shall I a) Crush all traders after the first year or b) just offer away excess goods and have them be on their way... Either way, no imports.

Ideas?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: July 19, 2010, 04:57:56 am »

F-ing Rhesus Monkeys...

A bunch sneaked up while i was busy designating my hospital... I was alerted to this by one making off with a spider silk rope I had put to one side for making a traction bench. My neraest dwarf was my expedidion leader (part time farmer and only miner), so he was drafted as commander and assigned to kill them. this went well for the first 2 which exploded into body parts after a few pick blows. the third managed to get the pick lodged in thier chest, and ran off with the thing in it as its owner chased it in vain. so now i am waiting for a miner immigrant with pick or the caravan in 6 months... this is with only my workshops and a few other misc small storage rooms set out.

while i waited some above ground industry was attempted. first to process the dead monkeys into food, trage goods and armour. this went well until another bunch showed up... was funny to see one running away carrying the intestines of its relative...
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 3842