Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100556 times)

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4200 on: July 13, 2010, 07:31:26 pm »

So are half the layer stones, they lose out because they hurt my eyes more than the magma can ever hurt my enemies.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: July 13, 2010, 09:17:46 pm »

copper weapons are overpowered.....
Nom nom nom

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: July 13, 2010, 09:46:06 pm »

My embark would be difficult to show with a screenshot.  Here is an ☼artistic rendering☼ of my embark.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a bit more varied, but you get the idea.  My volcano juts up in a spire that's approx 43 z levels above the top cliff terrace.  There are a few smaller terraces, then a brook at the bottom. 

Just starting out, should be fun...  I'm looking forward to magmatic death from above for my enemies once I relocate my main entryway to be closer to the volcano spire. 

Perhaps I will build a network of magma canals and reservoirs 40 z above the terrain.  Once they are filled, hatches in the bottom will be able to drop magma at gridpoints on the map, leading to my Dwarven Orbital Defense System.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:48:22 pm by Terisuke »

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: July 13, 2010, 09:56:51 pm »

:o  Nice!

I just realized that my iron tunnels are probably going to take many years to complete.  I hope I have the patience for this.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: July 13, 2010, 10:33:42 pm »

Completing my secure entrance ramp and the expanded outside compound walls. Will soon build aboveground farm plots.
Must forge more weaponry and armour. The caverns are full of bat people. Cannot proceed without proper equipment. Only small pond on surface. Rains regularly so far, but is not safe. Need cavern water. Also only very little fuel available. Magma is necessary. Must dig down.
Rock Crafting accelerating. Purchasing a great many useful goods from caravans with the crafts. Masterwork prepared meat fetches twenty times higher prices, though, but usually gets eaten before caravans arrive. Military is at 22 dwarves out of the about 80 living in Veshnir. Equipment ranges from iron armour and steel weapons to copper weapons and no armour. Is not enough. But oh, so little fuel! Will take forever. If only saplings grew faster.

If security infrastructure is complete soon, then maybe reckless digging into caverns will be viable. Prepare traps beforehand. War dogs. Marksdwarves. Drawbridges.

Is all simple. Must kill the bat men.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: July 14, 2010, 02:37:17 am »

A quick inspection of my dwarves with Dwarftherapist revealed, that my mayor/broker is also extra imaginative, thus making him the perfect candidate to be my new legendary engraver. So I ordered him to smooth the muddy obsidian base plate of my dorfcube - alone. Only the sprouting towercaps keep him company. That and the human representative, who sits by his side, waiting patiently to finally finish the trade agreements.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: July 14, 2010, 02:59:07 am »

Is all simple. Must kill the bat men.

As long as one of your dwarves isn't named "TheJoker", you'll be fine.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: July 14, 2010, 05:15:41 am »

The end of year 2 in a new fort.  Clipped the edge of an adamantine pillar.  Then got a mood.  I've just had a raw adamantine earing made that's worth over 1,000,000 dwarf bucks - twice as much as the rest of my fort combined.

SenorPez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: July 14, 2010, 10:32:15 am »

Just started, trying for a bit of a challenge, though still not too bad. I just don't want to expend the effort of hiding in a hole in a Terrifying biome until I'm sure the military fixes and such are actually functional.

• 2x2 Embark square: Smallest possible. Should lead to fun and fun as invaders will spawn right on top of whichever poor schmuck is chopping down the limited trees for the fourth time.
  • Oceanside: Half the embark is ocean. The other is forest. The wolves murdered two of my dogs within minutes of embark.
  • Double-layer Aquifers: Pumping them out right now. Oh make the pain stop. Though I think I'm going to make the punch shaft into a cool suspended room to put the Trade Depot in.
  • Quest for Magma: Once I'm through the aquifers, I'm going down as fast as I can to get magma.

My only worry is goblins. I'm kind of short of military talent in this expedition, and that worries me a bit. If the goblins learn of my settlement too early, I'm boned.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: July 14, 2010, 01:28:59 pm »

Abandoned my fortress and tried to find all the nice gear I had.
It wasn't there. I found a masterwork boot and an artifact spear that's it.

Also, artifact iron meroviate spear is hundreds of times less effective than a bronze battleaxe. I wanted to use my spear. :(
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: July 14, 2010, 03:01:44 pm »

Forgot to enable seasonal backups. Then a nemesis bug. Had to start over. Still, had my embarkation save. Veshnir, "Dustlands", the second! Hooray for the indomitable Windy Mansions of Skies!

Designated improved secure entrance ramp spiral and tremendously majestic entrance halls with trade depot, down at the fourth level below topside. Looks good. But will not be forever. Bat people probably still down there. Must kill them all. Kill, or befriend. Probably kill. Will see. Will put some stockpiles on z-3 and living rooms into z-5. Dug small staircases upwards to z-1, will later connect with surface to lead to aboveground farming compound, once walls are complete. Will dig down very slowly, have no military yet and do not remember how deep caverns were. Was not very deep. Not at all.

Water supply still wonky. Farming will not take off either. Hunter has no ammunition.

I need immigrants. IMMIGRANTS! MORE FLESH FOR THE DWARVEN CANNIBAL ECONOMY! NEED BLOWGUN FODDER! NEED CRAFTING SLAVES! NEED BACKS TO BREAK OVER FARM PLOTS! NEED FINGERS TO GO NUMB AROUND MINING PICKS! NEED LUNGS TO GO BLACK WITH MASONRY DUST!

FUEL FOR THE FORTRESS MACHINE!

Ehm. Immigrants; yes please.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: July 14, 2010, 03:26:55 pm »

My mason just made a magnificent statue of a dwarf fighting a forest titan.
The latter won.
It's also circled by exceptionally worked aventurine.
350 dwarf bux
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: July 14, 2010, 09:17:23 pm »

Oh Armok, you either withhold what one seeks, or you drown them in it!
Migrants! Waves of twenty, one per season! And Hell, all I have is ten beds, no working hospital, rotten meat, no underground farms, no barrels, no water supply...

But I have a trained military. And as soon as I gather enough fuel to make armour for them, the bat people will have to enjoy the feeling of spears up their silly flying backsides.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: July 14, 2010, 09:35:53 pm »

I forgot to make an army so now my dwarfs are locked behind the drawbridge.
On the bright side I now have water inside my fort.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

elfhater

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine vino non laboro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: July 15, 2010, 04:46:42 am »

My expedition leader / broker / record keeper is probably about to get mauled by wolves. Apparently when he saw them, he thought it would be a good idea to run in panic towards the wolves, thereby leaving the proximity of the fortified tower which leads back underground.
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 3842