Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100597 times)

Sunder

• Escaped Lunatic
  • tumultrician
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4215 on: July 15, 2010, 11:12:24 am »

Back in my longest-lasting - admittedly, this is only about 9 years dorftime - 40d fort, I have created a novice-level throne room:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Containing about six years' worth of clear glass block production due to Crystalbridges possessing all of 1Z's magma pipe. Directly in front is an 8Z high circular ziggurat containing eight years' worth of green glass blocks and royal personal rooms; there's also a small stone and glass gazebo at the back. Not that impressive as constructions go, but I'm proud of it.
Now if only I could find more places to put roads, maybe the incoming king would show up already. The mildly incompetent Duke is really not worthy of being compared to the Holy Carp.

(...I also recently discovered that one of my civilization's deities is this. Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.)

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: July 15, 2010, 11:41:02 am »

Wow, nice.

While I wait for that magma mess to evaporate, I constructed the new trade depot/drowning chamber. Marble block walls, some clear glass windows 1 level higher next to a future dining hall will let my dwarves enjoy the show, if elves set a foot inside the solid gold depot. The drainage grates are also golden.

No pictures yet. I'll collect some more and create an extra thread for the whole project.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: July 15, 2010, 12:37:22 pm »

The home civ traders showed up at my newest .10 fortress.  My fortress civ has a number of castes with different abilities.  One of them can breathe in water.

One of the traders happened to be of this caste.  It usually doesn't cause any issue, it just means they go for a swim on the way into the fortress to trade.

Over the winter I took advantage of the frozen river to dig a hole down the middle of the river intersection to make a waterfall in my meeting hall that feeds directly from the bottom of the river.  Big sucker.  2x2, draws in a ton of water and has caused one branch of the river to basically go dry.  The first cavern layer is now completely underwater from the drainage.

I did not think about the poor trader that goes for a swim.  Next caravan he takes his usual route through the river and is immediately sucked downriver through the fortifications that were built to keep unwanted critters from getting in, mule and all,  and lands in a broken heap 4 z-levels down on top of the drainage grate in the meeting hall.  He's alive, but almost every bone in his body is broken.

I think I know what the topic of the day was in that meeting hall.  Plans are in the works to grate up the intake as well and provide an escape route to prevent that happening again.  As fun as it sounds the possibility of Giant Olm mounted goblins getting in there and surviving the landing should be prevented.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:53:26 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: July 15, 2010, 04:20:12 pm »

Some high elf traders (again civ forge) showed up, and I decided to see if designating merchants for murder now works. The result was fifty pages of "The high Elf axeman strikes the militia commander in the lower arm with his {(*tempered crystal battle axe*)}, but the attack is deflected by the (cave spider silk glove)."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: July 15, 2010, 07:41:56 pm »

My king just threw a tantrum, and left two dwarves injured, one with a yellow wound, and one of my armorers with two red ones. (I'm playing 40d.) He's going to die for that.
I'm waiting to get a legendary anything-smith before I start using all the clownite I mined out. I've got 194 pieces ready to use, and I'm near-positive I'm only one z-level above the hidden fun stuff.
I'm waiting for some more steel, so I can keep equipping my military in -full- steel so I don't have a champion out of commission for a year because of two iron bolts in the leg. Again.
Also, I'm trying to figure out what I should DO, now that I have a legendary glassmaker.
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: July 15, 2010, 08:02:44 pm »

My king just threw a tantrum, and left two dwarves injured, one with a yellow wound, and one of my armorers with two red ones. (I'm playing 40d.) He's going to die for that.
I'm waiting to get a legendary anything-smith before I start using all the clownite I mined out. I've got 194 pieces ready to use, and I'm near-positive I'm only one z-level above the hidden fun stuff.
I'm waiting for some more steel, so I can keep equipping my military in -full- steel so I don't have a champion out of commission for a year because of two iron bolts in the leg. Again.
Also, I'm trying to figure out what I should DO, now that I have a legendary glassmaker.
Magma. No exceptions. I like exploiting it for free building materials.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4221 on: July 15, 2010, 09:31:37 pm »

Looking at my baroness's recent thoughts:

"She had a nice bath recently"

That's a new one to me.  Wonder if it has something to do with the lake of goblin and troll blood that the main corridor of my fortress has become?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: July 15, 2010, 09:45:38 pm »

It means she went to a water source and cleaned all the contaminants off herself. Porbably, she walked through the blood and needed to wash it off.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: July 15, 2010, 11:00:01 pm »

Uhh, I did not notice until now, but over a year passed now, and I did not get any new kittens, despite having 30 something cats that normally produce 10 kittens per season. I regularly slaughtered them as soon as they popped out, but it seems that all the cats are now too old to produce any more offspring? Year 20 something now, a few dogs and my initial wagon animals have since died of old age, too. (40d18)
Glossary #52

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: July 15, 2010, 11:02:04 pm »

P'raps you've accidentally monogendered your cat population.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: July 16, 2010, 12:23:46 am »

well I just started on my adventure breeding program to see if one can plop out babies using a friendship mod and runesmith and right when I embark with bronze colossus settlers the adventurer bronze hammerman got hit with melancholy it a sight to see makes me wonder what caused it.
was it the fact that the only leader just sent a kill order on him for just retiring in there land?
either way I hope tame slaves can breed.

well I forgot that this is the 0.09 version of and not the .10  and had half of the town killing each other.
once I tame every one I still getting deaths.
it seems when a pair of dwarven brother and sister whom wife and husband ended up sliced in two they think it's best to go on a human rampage. dang looks like I have to update again...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 01:14:32 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: July 16, 2010, 02:06:51 am »

P'raps you've accidentally monogendered your cat population.

Nope, checked that first.
Glossary #52

atomicthumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: July 16, 2010, 03:42:36 am »

I've built a (flat on the top) hemisphere, which will soon fill with water from my pump stack. Going into it is my fortress's entrance hall, with a solid gold bridge (more gold than iron on this map), which, when opened, seals the hall, and opens a drain that leads out to a 15-level cliff. Hopefully goblins will be washed away when this thing empties.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: July 16, 2010, 05:02:06 am »

Uhh, I did not notice until now, but over a year passed now, and I did not get any new kittens, despite having 30 something cats that normally produce 10 kittens per season. I regularly slaughtered them as soon as they popped out, but it seems that all the cats are now too old to produce any more offspring? Year 20 something now, a few dogs and my initial wagon animals have since died of old age, too. (40d18)

I ran into a similar issue with dogs about 5 years into my 40d fort. Very frustrating--I had to redesign my military and sentry system to accomodate it. Anyway. Turns out animals have a much lower population cap than dwarves. Perhaps you missed a few kittens out of the last batch and finally hit the cap? Try slaughtering a few random cats to jump-start the production line again, assuming you actually want more kittens, that is. Since you have several breeding pairs, you may be significantly over the cap. I don't recall exactly what it is, but it's on the wiki.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: July 16, 2010, 08:29:57 pm »

I just generated a world with a fairly open cavern layer (only one) and no HFS, then embarked on a volcano expecting gooey magmatic joy.

3 seconds later:

"Why the fuck is my volcano empty?"

Answer: the water in the cavern didn't form around it properly. Now I have an underground lake draining into the magma sea.

"Goddamnit. Now I'll never get good FPS."

Answer: block off water. BEGINNING PLANS NOW.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 3842