Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101145 times)

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4125 on: July 05, 2010, 11:41:33 am »

Ah, crap. Why haven't i seena a SINGLE FB in my game? Actually, I haven't even been sieged or attacked by anything!

Why do you want a flying ball of vomit to show up and wreck your fort?
Well, because i haven't got any Fun yet, and it's boring to play the game without a challenge  ;D

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: July 05, 2010, 11:55:17 am »

Hmm... Posessed bowyer just made me an artifact crossbow. Should I put it in a trap?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: July 05, 2010, 12:38:22 pm »

2 goblin ambushes and I'm completely unprepared save for 2 weapons traps at my entrance, surrounded by a layer of cage traps. first ambush is mostly bowmen, they get seen by my hunter and he's wasted quickly.  then an elven caravan arrives and starts getting destroyed by the bowmen as they both show up at my entrance at the same time.  caravan spots another ambush filled with hammermen, they massacre the rest of the elves whilst the leader of the bowmen gets trapped in one of my cage traps, along with a couple others. they all decide to stick with their leader and just wait at my entrance.

hammermen finish up their business with the elves and book it towards me entrance.  with a degree of genius I can only imagine, the leader of this group gets caught in another of my cage traps (keep in mind 3 of his brothers are already in clearly visible traps, with 3 more probably shouting "HEY THERES A TRAP") and the rest of my traps are soon filled.  I now have about 6 hammermen who have decided to camp my entrance. I'm watching them periodically wander in between the two weapons traps. one's lost an arm but refuses to give up whatever game he's playing with a giant axe blade. another got caught it in and it slowly chopped him to bits before he pried out and died in the river.

since virtually all of my fort is still easily accessible, just an empty entrance hallway I've made sure no dwarf wanders into, I've been able to finally get my steel production up and running. got a quick 6 dwarf military armed and training, and as soon as they get their steel armor we're gonna kick some ass

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: July 05, 2010, 04:16:17 pm »

Nailed the second FB. After I had finally armed all 30 of my military dwarves with axes, I unsealed the caverns, where an epic(ly short) battle broke out next to the corpse of the first beast. It's legs were quickly cut out from under it, and it was finished soon after. The poison gas hasn't seemed to be all that poisonous. It hit about a third of the army, but only two dwarves were actually hurt, one showed as faint, the other showed as heavy blood loss on the health page. One of them was treated by the chief medical dwarf and recovered fully, instantly. I also discovered a workaround for all that blood spatter everywhere: You doctors(or at least CMD) will mop up the hospital zone, cleaning the blood off the floor.

Just waiting for the delayed leprosy.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: July 05, 2010, 04:29:40 pm »

My miner has just had an accident in a cave in, while I was trying to flood a natural dent in the landscape with water to make a lake between me and anything that tries to attack me. Very nasty. He won't be able to walk again, apparently. It left him there, 3 z-levels deep, bleeding and unconcious and slowly having his small crypt flooded with water, far away from my fort, who probably didn't even know this had happened.
Out of nowhere this hero of a dwarf butcher comes, dives into the hole, picks the stunned and unconcious dwarf bodily up and carries him across THE ENTIRE MAP to get to my fort, and to a free bed. Now my doctor is doing his rounds on the fale miner, and he is slowly getting better, with the slight bad note that he has an infection in his left wrist bone now.
The dwarven butcher had no relations to dwarven miner before this incident. He does now.

ChrisTheTsunami

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: July 05, 2010, 06:59:54 pm »

on my second fort right now(not counting the first "Oh crap, what the hell is this!?" instant abandon)I just survived a ambush that appeared at the end of this forts 4th year after the caravans left; letting them fight being what let me survive the annual attacks. My squad struggles to put down a stranded lasher and not be badly bruised without the caravan's support.
I at least knew it was coming from my cage traps catching snatchers. I manged to get most inside except for the mayor, who was far off getting water and hit by the first crossbow bolt before escaping.
I waited out half a season until some migrants came and distracted the goblins long enough to get some water for the wounded I had. The migrants managed to spread them out, lured most of the hammerer squad into cage traps, and left every crossbow goblin without ammo.(funny how letting some migrants get slaughtered is a legitimate strategy) I killed two of the now helpless goblins that were by themselves, causing the remaining forces to leave(even though those hammerers proudly would have crushed my army at it's current level.)
The main thing is I have a ton of goblin prisoners now. My soldiers got a slight boost from maiming those crossbows, but I don't think it's enough to take out the stronger goblins without major risk. I'm thinking of using a cougar I had laying around on a lone goblin and then finish off what survives(repeating this with packs of wolves, which I need catch for more of). I don't know how stronger a Cougar is from a wolf, and if it'll leave anything but bad bruises and cuts for the remaining goblin. Though if can take the goblin soldier, I should be able to gang up and kill the cougar easily(in theory).
"They say that adding soy sauce to pudding gives the taste of sea urchin, but really, adding soy sauce to pudding only gives the taste of soy sauce and pudding"

Pistolero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: July 05, 2010, 07:14:43 pm »

(funny how letting some migrants get slaughtered is a legitimate strategy)

After embarking with a proficient armorer and proficient weaponsmith and having them spend  the last 5 years in front of the forges whenever they are not sleeping, eating, or drinking, they are now 'great' and 'professional'. If I let my migrants get slaughtered I will never get legendary smiths. Especially when you consider that two thirds of my artifacts have been toys or mugs, and even most of those were made via possession. I should have been giving anyone without a moodable skill a few minutes on a forge of their own to become novice weaponsmiths.

I was spoiled by moods and migrants before, I thought it was typical to have a legendary weaponsmith and armorer by the third year of your fort.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: July 05, 2010, 08:06:25 pm »

on my second fort right now(not counting the first "Oh crap, what the hell is this!?" instant abandon)I just survived a ambush that appeared at the end of this forts 4th year after the caravans left; letting them fight being what let me survive the annual attacks. My squad struggles to put down a stranded lasher and not be badly bruised without the caravan's support.
I at least knew it was coming from my cage traps catching snatchers. I manged to get most inside except for the mayor, who was far off getting water and hit by the first crossbow bolt before escaping.
I waited out half a season until some migrants came and distracted the goblins long enough to get some water for the wounded I had. The migrants managed to spread them out, lured most of the hammerer squad into cage traps, and left every crossbow goblin without ammo.(funny how letting some migrants get slaughtered is a legitimate strategy) I killed two of the now helpless goblins that were by themselves, causing the remaining forces to leave(even though those hammerers proudly would have crushed my army at it's current level.)
The main thing is I have a ton of goblin prisoners now. My soldiers got a slight boost from maiming those crossbows, but I don't think it's enough to take out the stronger goblins without major risk. I'm thinking of using a cougar I had laying around on a lone goblin and then finish off what survives(repeating this with packs of wolves, which I need catch for more of). I don't know how stronger a Cougar is from a wolf, and if it'll leave anything but bad bruises and cuts for the remaining goblin. Though if can take the goblin soldier, I should be able to gang up and kill the cougar easily(in theory).

You could take their weapons and armor. IIRC, you just have to "dump" the cage. All that will happen is that their weapon and armor will be taken and all you will have left is a Goblin in a cage just waiting to fight your trainees.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4133 on: July 05, 2010, 09:13:45 pm »

It's a bit more complicated now.  You have to unforbid their clothing in the stocks screen, then mass dump (d-b-d) the cage.  After that you have to remove the dump command from the cage itself, or they will release the prisoner.

The lag has gotten fairly bad on my first good fortress, and the dwarves are refusing to cage any of the animals, so I'm thinking about giving up on it.  I'll wait a bit longer and see what happens.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: July 05, 2010, 09:46:25 pm »

It's a bit more complicated now.  You have to unforbid their clothing in the stocks screen,

You can just mass unforbid.

Edit: Wait, you can't mass forbid objects that are on or in other objects, can you? Oh well.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 04:54:48 am by OmnipotentGrue »

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: July 06, 2010, 02:35:58 am »

I embarked on a good area recently, and let me tell you I am LOVING the unicorn foods. :D

Hrm... I think I will outfit my dwarfs in unicorn leather.

Nothing quite like slaughtering masses of unicorns, hehe.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: July 06, 2010, 02:51:49 am »

Restart 17: I'm sticking with this one.
I found Adamantine, within half a year the king arrived. Two days later, he was dead. Old age.
Er... Oh. First Human trade caravan my fortress sees, half of the caravan gets slaughtered by goblins. We teach them a lesson.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dug out three Z-levels so far, and most veins are only a few tiles long. I think I'm safe for a while.
I've got four champions, working on training four more. I like to get them a lot of attributes by doing stuff like mining and engraving before I ever start training them to wrassle.
Besides that, just... pretty much digging out more bedrooms and working on processing all this adamantine. Strand extraction is kind of slow.

EDIT: So, yeah, apparently a King dying of natural causes leads my entire civilization to freak the hell out and never come here. This is the third season I've gotten the "cursed death-trap" message.
Do other races' deaths, excluding Kobolds or Goblins, add to the bad rep a lot of deaths causes? 'Cause if it does, I can kinda understand why nobody's showing up, considering what happened to the Humans.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 03:37:28 am by Fistbeard »
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: July 06, 2010, 10:08:22 am »

Just had the only dwarf death in 10 years after the best healthcare management in all of dwarf history. Rith Evostreg was 154 years old, and died of old age whilst tending to his patients. Who leapt out of bed, fully recovered, and proceeded to put him and his white coat in a Silver tomb.

The Doctor is out.  :'(
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: July 06, 2010, 10:42:31 am »

Just gort a trade caravan at a crucial time.
Unfortuanatly my broker decided that now would be an excelent time to go on a break, and now the merchant is refusing anything I give him due to 'price', which, due to my bookeeper being lazy, I don't even know myself.
So I just mass spammed Dolomite/ligmite/everything I was ableto dig up before my only miner nearly died. Still a no. At this rate my fortress might tantrum due to lack of food, and I can't dig out anything to help that.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: July 06, 2010, 11:33:48 am »

You simply need a broker with the Appraisal skill to see the values. Nominate whomever entered the depot first and appraised all of the goods as your broker.

The first person who traded has to appraise the goods, and that should have been your broker. Now you just need to make the person who did it your broker. Alternately, a broker with even dabbling Appraisal skill will allow you to see item values, so it's not a bad idea to embark with someone who has one point in Appraisal.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 3842