Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101213 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4095 on: July 03, 2010, 01:59:57 am »

Frozenhalls approaches completion! Still got an arctic ocean to carve out, and furnishings to put everywhere, but... we're getting there!

grognoglog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: July 03, 2010, 03:17:06 am »

First goblin ambush.  I sent my steel clad force out to keep them away from the visiting caravan.  The end result being an iron arrow lodged in the upper arm of one of my better warriors.  He bled out while being carried to the hospital.

It seems breastplates don't cover the upper arms and I don't know if it's possible to layer the chain shirt with the breastplate at the moment.   Anyway, back to chain shirts.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: July 03, 2010, 04:37:50 am »

First goblin ambush.  I sent my steel clad force out to keep them away from the visiting caravan.  The end result being an iron arrow lodged in the upper arm of one of my better warriors.  He bled out while being carried to the hospital.

It seems breastplates don't cover the upper arms and I don't know if it's possible to layer the chain shirt with the breastplate at the moment.   Anyway, back to chain shirts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breastplate
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: July 03, 2010, 05:10:26 am »

One miner just fell 3 levels due to idiocy. He survived with a broken arm, but now I have vomit in my future measured water storage silo.

Also, the pouring aqueducts are now assembled, the main control room directly below has colorcoded walls for my convenience. Too bad, Visual Fortress does not display furniture and levers. :/

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Digging down and constructing up the cast is almost finished, only 3 levels remain. Although I fear that actually making all that obsidian could take the rest of my life with my fps.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: July 03, 2010, 06:52:48 am »

Again, does Visual Fortress work with 31. now? Where can I find this new version?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: July 03, 2010, 08:18:55 pm »

Squidcrystal is overflowing with animals.  Live ones, dead ones, zombie ones.  Good thing I build a huge wood stockpile earlier; my woodcutters are almost always on zombie-chopping duty.  I have three after drafting an immigrant, but it'll be two again soon:  one of the original two had a mood and produced an artifact, a steel axe.  No decorations, no nothing, just one bar of steel, but who cares?  Steel artifact axe!  As soon as I get the metal, McLegendary Weaponsmith is going to be sequestered in a shop with as much steel as I can buy, and away from critters that might interfere with her ability to crank out masterpieces.

Picked out the immigrants I'm going to draft, but so far everyone's hauling madly.  There's even more food than there are animal parts.  Farm plots are built, but fallow for the same reason.  Working on hollowing out massive stockpile space in the second soil layer.

The channel down should be in its final state the winter after this one.  (2x2 up-down stairs; going for a 4x4 stairway.)  Only have two rock layers before the cavern opens up; never imagined I'd rejoice at "You have struck microcline!"

One of the better members of the miner corps is stuck in a mood.  He wants body parts.  There are body parts coming out our earholes.  Horn, bone, skulls, hooves.  He won't take any of them.  Fiddled with materials to make hooves/horn count as shell and ivory; no good.  May have to wall the little sucker in.

All in all, aquifers aren't boring.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: July 03, 2010, 08:26:07 pm »

Managed to trap that FB in a spot that should have friggin' killed him by way of a cave-in. Unfortunately, he didn't trigger the pressure plate that was supposed to collapse the pillar. Instead, he started smashing the statues I had built to pen him in, and holed up next to the pillar, not smashing it. Not that it would kill him, since he's not under the part that was supposed to crush him. I saved right before a gremlin came along and set off the trap, infuriatingly not even wounding the FB, and prompting him to head straight for my dwarves. His freezing dust causes paralysis and suffocation, and it's not a breath attack, it's an explosion.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: July 04, 2010, 02:07:38 am »

Again, does Visual Fortress work with 31. now? Where can I find this new version?

There IS no Visual Fortress that works on any version in the 31.XX series. The author of that tool is too busy to update it, and other programmers on the forum have elected to design a much more powerful toolkit called Obsidian, which is currently in a conceptualization stage.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: July 04, 2010, 08:47:40 am »

HAH! Got the FB. After a gremlin came along and killed itself on the trap, Shardat Pukedrink settled into a spot right under a hole created by the failed trap. So, I had a miner channel off a small square to drop a single tile onto him. He didn't move.

Prior to that, a double gobbo ambush of mostly archers and crossbowmen came by. Most were killed by multiple 10-high-quality-crossbow(one immigrated as a high-master bowyer, two had secretive moods :D) traps, the rest fled. They only killed one dwarf who refused orders to take shelter(kind of why I gave that order ::)), an early-warning puppy, and the lone cat that came in as an immigrant's pet that I've been wondering how I'd get rid of. All in all, a complete victory.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: July 04, 2010, 11:18:23 am »

Today the vultures came. its only summer in year 1, so i had a nice large meat stockpile sitting outside. all in all i lost around 40 cow meat and some inconsequential stuff before my woodcutter scared them off... this was only of minor annoyance (still had 7 meat and 2 edible plants left for my 7 dwarves, farming now up and running after ponds unfroze to irrigate), but a migration wave has just showed up. heres hoping its not too large or there will be hunger before next seasons supply caravan.
This is a blank sig.

charcharmunro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: July 04, 2010, 12:21:28 pm »

I'm getting constantly attacked by Crundles and Giant Olms and Cave Ogres and such that my military takes forever to kill because they all suck with weapons, and there's little to no food due to the fact that, for some reason, I can't get anybody to hunt, and parties keep getting thrown, but, due to a REALLY nice dining hall, most of my dwarves are ecstatic, or atleast happy, also, I uncovered a cavern out of boredom, probably where all the Crundles are coming from.
My fortress has a name which doesn't even make sense.... Hameyell.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 04:46:13 pm by charcharmunro »

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: July 04, 2010, 03:43:12 pm »

Playing my 40d fortress, I have two dorfs equipped in full copper gear, and sparring with copper battle axes. One dwarf, Vabok, accidentally jams his axe into his sparring partner's throat. Shortly later he suffocates to death. I check his thoughts and lo and behold...

Vabok Iroloslan has been ecstatic lately. He has took joy in slaughter lately. He has lost a friend to tragedy lately. He has had a satisfying sparring session lately.

I check his personality things, and I see...

He is often sad and dejected. He can be very happy and optimistic. He does not have a great aesthetic sensitivity. He has a good awareness of his own emotions. He is not easily moved to pity.

Oh my god my future Axe Lord is a slaughtering, bipolar, pitiless killing machine.

EDIT: Scratch that...I lost power and didn't save after Vabok killed the guy.

Still going to turn him into a pitiless killing machine.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 03:52:49 pm by Krath »
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: July 04, 2010, 04:01:16 pm »

In my new fort Tombsilent (yes, that is probably the worst random-generated name for a fort ever, but in an ironic twist it's the best), Just started channeling the random water ponds scattered outide into a big river of sorts, so I can pump it into my fort (and use it for my wells and everything).
I saved, then sent my miner (who is now both a expert miner and expert swimmer from wading throguh so much water) to channel out some more rock around my floodgate (which he can wade to since it's not really a torent of water, so much as a trickle). A few tiles later, cave in. Miner falls 3 z levels to his death, and the hole immedeatly floods in, creating him a excelent gravesite. Then the miasma spred through the water. My well is now poisined. So urist mcdoctor goes for a drink...
I've obviously not saved the cave-in, but lets just say that beserker deseased doctors isn't good when you have no weapons (I forgot to bring ours in and they got hauled off somewhere) .

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: July 04, 2010, 08:57:20 pm »

Right now in my current fortress a Dwarven child has gone beserk and attacked her mother, the mother is now in the process of strangling her youngest daughter :)

grognoglog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: July 04, 2010, 11:05:31 pm »

My leader/arsenal dwarf mooded and became a legendary weaponsmith.  That one point in weaponsmith actually paid off.    Now he both makes the mastercraft steel axes and then goes to his arsenal office and records them.  I wish I could gem encrust them.
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 3842