Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104813 times)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3390 on: June 07, 2010, 04:44:58 pm »

ITS FUCKING OFFICAL.

Three times this has happened.
first time, Miranda and Troglodytes/Forgotten Beast. Devin Died. Anthony Died. Dogs died.
Second time, Boris and Goblin Ambushes. I died. Mr. Sketch died. Kelsey died. Liz died. Dog died.
Third time, Hannah and Goblin Ambushes. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.

FUCK. Strange Mood == BAD THINGS.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: June 07, 2010, 05:13:20 pm »

The list of dead:
Emily, Expidition Leader.
Tony, Manager/Bookkeeper/Aresenal Dwarf/Broker.
Ben, Hammerdwarf.
Dylan, Swordsdwarf.
Cory, ??
Tyler, Blacksmith.
Sunny, Farmer.
Eric, ??
Peter, Engraver.
Sadie, Miner.

All the while, Hannah was collecting supplies.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: June 07, 2010, 07:09:55 pm »

I've been working on a cave-in trap, made to terminate the Bronze Colossus known to live in the cave nearby.  I thought I'd completed it, so I drafted Kivish Patternedpulley, a trader (I already had a much better one), made her a militia captain, and sent her into the caves, to lure the Colossus into the trap.  Once she got down to his lair (deep in the cavern) and he noticed her, I ordered her to run away toward the trap.  Instead, she ran toward Bronzy, and he started pummeling her. 
I quickly gave up on the situation and started tending to my other dwarfs' needs.  After a couple minutes, I noticed Captain Kivish was still alive, albeit with lots of gruesome wounds.  I decided to disband her squad (which consisted only of her).  She started to run away, but she went in the wrong direction, and now she's cornered and being terrorized again.  Interestingly, she's now a Legendary fighter and wrestler...  :o I really hope she can make it home alive.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: June 07, 2010, 07:13:48 pm »

Started a new fort in .05 using Ironhands tileset.
It looks amazing. Just needs to be brighter.

Runs faster too. I live in this cool valley.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: June 07, 2010, 08:55:22 pm »

Snow =/= meat.

I lol'd that you had to point that out.
Well, We can make ice walls that can keep magma back, why not snow meat?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: June 07, 2010, 08:56:37 pm »

Snow =/= meat.

I lol'd that you had to point that out.

hehe. I wonder how hard it would be to add "snow cones" to the internal organs of forgotten beast snowmen?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: June 07, 2010, 08:58:33 pm »

Intentionally breached the cave system via a shaft dug off to the side of my fort, then dropped in a kitten and puppy to explore. So far haven't encountered any GCS, forgotten beasts, demons, or elderich abominations. Did run into some trogladites, so I might set up some cage traps to catch targets for my military.

Speaking of military, I drafted all the migrants with military skills plus a few with no skills, gave them iron (no flux) armor and bronze (embarked with extra) weapons. They're doing individual drills now. I'm not sure how to get them to spar, not sure if Toady has fixed the bug, nor am I sure if I have to order them to equip the training spears I made. Doesn't matter for now, I'd like them to get some experience under their beards before letting them jab each other. I'm hoping I won't regret not using axes, I figured spears would be more effective against the blobs that everyone's so terrified of, and I've heard they kill clean.

I'm digging out a tower cap farm right under my brook. During the winter when the brook freezes up I plan to pierce the brook with stairs, then install floor hatches and link to a lever. The end result should be flooding the whole room. Learning from my last fort, I'll make sure to put the lever one floor above the brook so I can stop the flooding if I need to. Should be interesting.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: June 07, 2010, 09:01:41 pm »

I'm digging out a tower cap farm right under my brook. During the winter when the brook freezes up I plan to pierce the brook with stairs, then install floor hatches and link to a lever. The end result should be flooding the whole room. Learning from my last fort, I'll make sure to put the lever one floor above the brook so I can stop the flooding if I need to. Should be interesting.

If the hatch is also in the frozen water blocks, then I do believe it will be deconstructed by the ice. Should be fun times when the water thaws.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: June 07, 2010, 09:59:27 pm »

Hmm, so mental note - build a wall under the holes, or tunnel in from the top and build a floor. Think I'll go with the wall, I hate disrupting the brook's surface. Should suffice for one year, at least. Once I tunnel into the ice those tiles shouldn't freeze again until the same time next year. Should work.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: June 07, 2010, 10:25:25 pm »

Please tell me floodgates don't deconstruct when water freezes in them. If that's the case, I'm going to have quite a hassle to deal with when winter comes. (Assuming I ever play my old 40d fort again. I guess I probably will--some day.)

In other news, I think I have a new signature. :D

hehe. I wonder how hard it would be to add "snow cones" to the internal organs of forgotten beast snowmen?
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: June 07, 2010, 10:55:58 pm »

Since ice destroys items that are on the same tile as they are, your floodgates should be safe so long as they are closed when the water freezes.. I will need to be sure not to use masterwork mechanisms for the floor hatches though, one of my haulers got a mechanic mood.

I just got a bunch of sand from the elves. Considering that they can't make glass, since it either needs carbon fuel or magma and they can't use magma, it makes no sense that they would trade sand. But it's cheap bags, and since this map has no sand it will let me cover any glass moods. Still, can't figure out why the elves would sell me something that requires wood to process, unless... IT'S A TRAP!

Edit: In other news, I got almost a dozen exotic animals and two dozen bins of cloth. Guess which ones I bought?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:01:48 pm by Grendus »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: June 07, 2010, 11:20:06 pm »

War Lions and War Tigers and War Bears oh my?

The elves want you to use only the wood they sell you.  And they give you sand so that you will use that wood they sell you and want more.

That is why they get angry when we harvest your own wood.  You are screwing over their entire business model.

...Well that, and that they are such horrible business-elves as to pay 3 wooden logs for a piece of crap no quality stone craft that vaguely resembles a ring.  Let alone how many they give for something actually valuable.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: June 07, 2010, 11:48:46 pm »

And yet, they bring no wood and are too uncivilized to even perform basic trade agreements so we could actually negotiate wood trading. Honestly, I'd like to only burn their kosher wood... means I don't need to go out and cut the damn things down myself. If they were intelligent enough to negotiate. I still think it's a trap.

I'm remembering why I used to play Dig Deeper. Vanilla is just too damn easy. Even embarking in a sub-optimal zone - aquifer, no sand, no magma, no flux - I'm overwhelmed with food from growing two seasons out of the year, I can trade for whatever I want without using stonecrafting, and I have yet to see anything remotely hostile. What gives?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: June 08, 2010, 12:13:56 am »

Not a savage enough terrain?

Thats why I play with the carnivore tag on my fortress race.  Can't feed a fortress of 200 with a single farmer and a few seeds. 

Though instead with DF2010 all you need is 2 cows with a functional set of tab 'A' and slot 'B'  But at least that takes a year or two of forgetting to harvest to really start burying you in meat.  Unlike planting which seems to bury a fortress in purple mushrooms in half a year no matter what you do.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: June 08, 2010, 01:01:55 am »

Trying out a new challenge: embark with nothing. No skills, nothing but the wood of the wagon. It's going excellently.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 3842