Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104332 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3375 on: June 07, 2010, 07:39:12 am »

They're also invincible, you can't kill them, they will keep coming.

Just like Batman.

|
  |
  |
  |
  |
  v
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: June 07, 2010, 08:18:48 am »

Just killed a snow forgotten beast. I was anticipating a nice harvest of forgotten beast meat, but the corpse apparently instantly evaporated. It came in via my water channel (passing through fortifications) but fortunately it only slaughtered a dog before my military stopped dithering with equipment and decided to arrive.

Whch is good because I've lost four dwarves this year and not gotten replacements. Also I still cannot generate a world where I can catch fish.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: June 07, 2010, 08:55:42 am »

Animal's kept getting in my fort and causing a hustle.  I never really worried about it since it was usually just deer or foxes, figured they just got through my entrance at the perfect time and waltzed into my main stairway.

this last time though, a bear got in. :\ I've got not military and all my hunters were at "no job" (it's the bug when they run out of ammo instead of just picking up more they do nothing, so you have to turn off their "hunting" labor then back on.  I left them like this on purpose because I have plenty of meat and want to slaughter some of my many donkeys without going overboard on my stocks. anyway) so I watch it tangle with a wardog for a while, gets a wounded leg but beats it easily.  he then just walks around scaring everyone in my fortress all to hell. he takes down a tame hoary marmot I had ( :( ) and eventually meanders into my masons workshop. he attacks a miner turned mason of mine and rips him in half before settling in the corner.  by that time I'd gotten all 3 of my hunters to go pickup ammo, although one was on break, the other 2 arrived in a hustle and unleashed a fury of bolts

somewhere in the chaos, I noticed the bear had a wounded "left eye tooth"

anyway, I figure they're all getting in through the walled over river, just by swimming underneath the walls. gonna set up some cage traps to stop this silliness

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: June 07, 2010, 10:24:22 am »

Just killed a snow forgotten beast. I was anticipating a nice harvest of forgotten beast meat, but the corpse apparently instantly evaporated. It came in via my water channel (passing through fortifications) but fortunately it only slaughtered a dog before my military stopped dithering with equipment and decided to arrive.

Whch is good because I've lost four dwarves this year and not gotten replacements. Also I still cannot generate a world where I can catch fish.
Snow =/= meat.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: June 07, 2010, 11:26:57 am »

Snow =/= meat.

I lol'd that you had to point that out.

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: June 07, 2010, 11:52:32 am »

Currently getting a bit intimidated...

It's early spring inthe fourth year.  I've seen off two or three goblin raids, as well as some feisty wildlife.  However, it's not that has made me train up two full squads and arm them in the best armour and weapons my - by now rather impressive - furnace system can produce, and cover the place in traps.  No, that has been triggered by the artifacts.

First up, we have Sigunkeshshak - an iron figurine.  A masterfully designed image of Vabok Gearrasps the dwarf and Bekat Packclod the Rainy Scales the plains titan.  Beckat Packclod is striking down Gearrasps, an event of 314.

Next up we have Thobuz Stukos Anist, a copper statue.  This is a masterfully designed image of Zuglar Treatysects the dwarf and Bekat Packclod the Rainy Scales the plains titan. Beckat Packclod is striking down Zuglar Treatysects in 664.

Third artifact: ernamlathon "Modestmyths" - another iron figurine.  A masterfully designed image of Tobul Fencedwave the dwarf and Bekat Packclod the Rainy Scales the plains titan.  guess what...

Would you believe it - number four crops up. Absammot, a selenite bed.  Of course, the imagery that will really help the lucky recipient noble drift off into dwarfy sleep is that of our old friend Beckat Packclod the Rainy Scales the plains titan, striking down Anir Earthdells in 107.

Finally one of my miners just came up from the depths of the craft area clutching this. Soduker "Mistywave", a gypsum toy boat.  Not just any toy boat, oh no.  As well as the - by now expected - imagery of Beckat Packclod the Rainy Scales the plains titan striking down Edem Rampartstokes, some other unsuspecting dwarf in 151, we also have the rather charming menacing spikes of warthog leather and giant cave spider silk.

Fort population just hit 90. 
*Puts on best Private Frazer accent*
We're all doomed...    :-[ ;D

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: June 07, 2010, 12:02:55 pm »

Snow =/= meat.

I lol'd that you had to point that out.

I'd never killed an inorganic FB other than by complete cave-in obliteration before :P  I wasn't sure if the food thing was tied to the FB status or the base template. 
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: June 07, 2010, 01:09:40 pm »

Volcano fort.  Unfortunately, a mistake made when tapping the magma pipe led to a dwarf dying of dehydration, and my chief medical dwarf lost her hand fighting a kobold (otherwise fine)...but I got my first fell mood out of it and a legendary bone carver from the first year.  Killed some peasant, so no big deal.

Interestingly, I also noticed elevation does in fact impact temperature; the murky pools froze on my Z-level (since it was a volcano, something like +15) despite the Hot temperature rating for the site.  The best part is I'll need to dig down about 30 layers to hit the aquifier, and with all the obsidian around the pipe it should be a moot point.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: June 07, 2010, 01:26:35 pm »

With .05 coming out I decided to get back into the latest version and play a 'live in the caverns or bust' fortress.  I figured I'd dive down to the first cavern wall/roof off a large section of it and see how long I could live.

First problem, to encourage myself to dive quickly I embarked on an evil biome.  Harpies swooped in and strangled one of my two miners to death in seconds.  (Well they swooped in in seconds, then spent the next 3 months strangling the poor dwarf while my other dwarves cowered in the corner.)

I sent my one remaining miner down as fast as he could dig, 31 z levels of 3x3 down stairs and no cavern.  The harpies are starting to look at my remaining dwarves on the surface hungrily.  It's really slow going with 1 pick now and I haven't even built a bed yet because I was waiting til I hit the cavern and all my dwarvers are getting pissy.  I decide to build a temporary staging fort about 25 levels down, dig 2 squares north, boom hit a cavern.   Apparently I dug down straight through the first cavern, possibly even the second without noticing. 

While my masons are hurridly panicking trying to wall off an area, I forget my miner still has about 5 levels down more stairs designated, which he proceeds to slice down the side of another cavern exposing 4 z levels of stairs to the cavern.  My first notification of this was the Troll beating one of my dwarves to death while he tried to get stuff from the surface.  My miner manages to kill the troll, I send my masons to wall off the other stairs, and while I'm planning where to build things like stockpiles and bedrooms I fail to notice my masons BOTH WALL THEMSELVES INTO THE CAVERN.   

The masons start this wild madcap adventure trying to find a way back into the fort while being chases by wild underground marmots or some such when my first Forgotten Beast makes an appearance and immediately finds the hole in the wall I had just opened so my masons could get in, kills 3 of my dwarves so fast I can't even tell you what order they died in.  At that point down to one well dwarf hiding waiting to see if the FB is smart enough to pick the right door to break down and one badly beaten dwarf who's going nowhere and a I figured abandoning was the best choice.

Complete Fun.

My second 'caverns or bust' game I'm playing now is the total opposite.  I found the first cavern on the 6th z level (!), magma sea on the 21st, I have a large area walled off with productive farms and lots of security and haven't seen as much as a marmot underground in 2.5 years.    In fact the goblins above ground are giving me more trouble right now, building up my military now.  Fortunately my first fey mood was my weaponsmith so I should have good steel axes coming online soon.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: June 07, 2010, 01:59:19 pm »

It's early spring inthe fourth year.  I've seen off two or three goblin raids, as well as some feisty wildlife.  However, it's not that has made me train up two full squads and arm them in the best armour and weapons my - by now rather impressive - furnace system can produce, and cover the place in traps.  No, that has been triggered by the artifacts.

First up, we have Sigunkeshshak - an iron figurine.  A masterfully designed image of Vabok Gearrasps the dwarf and Bekat Packclod the Rainy Scales the plains titan.  Beckat Packclod is striking down Gearrasps, an event of 314.

Next up we have Thobuz Stukos Anist, a copper statue.  This is a masterfully designed image of Zuglar Treatysects the dwarf and Bekat Packclod the Rainy Scales the plains titan. Beckat Packclod is striking down Zuglar Treatysects in 664.

Third artifact: ernamlathon "Modestmyths" - another iron figurine.  A masterfully designed image of Tobul Fencedwave the dwarf and Bekat Packclod the Rainy Scales the plains titan.  guess what...

Would you believe it - number four crops up. Absammot, a selenite bed.  Of course, the imagery that will really help the lucky recipient noble drift off into dwarfy sleep is that of our old friend Beckat Packclod the Rainy Scales the plains titan, striking down Anir Earthdells in 107.

Finally one of my miners just came up from the depths of the craft area clutching this. Soduker "Mistywave", a gypsum toy boat.  Not just any toy boat, oh no.  As well as the - by now expected - imagery of Beckat Packclod the Rainy Scales the plains titan striking down Edem Rampartstokes, some other unsuspecting dwarf in 151, we also have the rather charming menacing spikes of warthog leather and giant cave spider silk.

So because my craftdwarves keep making figures of a Moss Titan beating the crap out of humans, that means the Titan will probably target my fort eventually?

......crap.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: June 07, 2010, 02:02:46 pm »

So because my craftdwarves keep making figures of a Moss Titan beating the crap out of humans, that means the Titan will probably target my fort eventually?

......crap.

Hmm... if we ever get to make fungicides in the alchemist's workshop, I wonder how effective spraying him down with them would be...
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: June 07, 2010, 03:02:53 pm »

......crap.
Moss burns... I'm just saying.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: June 07, 2010, 03:41:42 pm »

Everyone is unhappy that Liz died. She was one of the few with friends.
Only the original 7 have friends. Everyone else is passing acquaintance or unknown. Why, even Devin the Mighty Moth Slayer died only knowing one person.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: June 07, 2010, 04:16:57 pm »

I've been forced to savescum a couple of times due to the unkillable opal beast; I really like this fort - it feels very organic and has almost 100 dwarves in it. The downside of building everything in the caverns is that I don't have much space or wood, and therefor keeping everyone happy is difficult. My dwarves are all eating cold mushroom and drinking dwarven... ale? whatever it is that plump helmets brew into. Many of them don't have their own rooms, and the general happiness level is low, since there are still rotting bodies in the halls and dead bits of mole dogs all over.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: June 07, 2010, 04:23:26 pm »

My first new all-.31.05 fort is doing well, except my first 3 moods all wanted shells with no turtles to be found anywhere.  And dwarves weren't letting me import any.  Ah well.
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 3842