Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104625 times)

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3405 on: June 08, 2010, 01:07:22 am »

I'm pretty new to DF and have gone through a few forts. First one was just so I could get a feel for the interface, controls, and basic necessities before goblins showed up and massacred my dwarves. Forts 2 and 3 I learned about all of the different industries and struggled to understand the apparently bugged military system before again dying to goblins as my dwarves attempted to melée with their crossbows. My fourth one is really coming together now that I understand the finer points of traps and fortifications, I just hope toady can fix the military, it shows promise.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #3406 on: June 08, 2010, 01:08:58 am »

25 levels of adamantine found and safely mined!

No lignite or bituminous coal.

I can't burn trees fast enough to make charcoal.

Only one death so far.  A miner who found the Adamantine vein initially, just died of thirst.  For no reason.  I had 600+ units of different kinds of booze.  I had two wells.  He had no injuries and can move around. 

But he just stood there, next to the vein of blue metal, and stared at it.  Til he died of thirst.

I built a coffin next to the vein in his honor, but none of the dwarves seem to want to put him in it so now his moldering skeleton is lying near his coffin.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: June 08, 2010, 01:57:14 am »

Hmmm.... Apparently water can reverse it's flow back TOWARDS the source...

this bodes ill for my attempt at filling this 50X30 cistern... as the water simply won't go IN.

It's a long passage, and it has a 90 degree turn, I'm guessing that's the problem, Going to dig in above it and channel that corner tile out.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: June 08, 2010, 02:41:17 am »

Decided to abandon the haunted glacier nightmare fort, and I'm going in completely the other direction this time. I'm thinking of doing a themed fort of sorts, based around a massive glass industry instead of my usual rock-based one. I'm planning to build a massive emerald city above ground, and a below-ground fort with roads paved in green glass blocks. Bonus points: green's my favorite color.

Any ideas to make the idea better? I was thinking of making the fort a cluster of towers, with plenty of bridges in between for Fun.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: June 08, 2010, 03:05:22 am »

Decided to abandon the haunted glacier nightmare fort, and I'm going in completely the other direction this time. I'm thinking of doing a themed fort of sorts, based around a massive glass industry instead of my usual rock-based one. I'm planning to build a massive emerald city above ground, and a below-ground fort with roads paved in green glass blocks. Bonus points: green's my favorite color.

Any ideas to make the idea better? I was thinking of making the fort a cluster of towers, with plenty of bridges in between for Fun.
Emerald city, you say? What about a winding yellow-bricked road?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: June 08, 2010, 03:09:05 am »

Made out of gold, I presume? I suppose I could use orthoclose or gypsum if I wanted to be cheap. I was also thinking of maybe having a venice-style section that I could use to hide my nobles in the event of the fortress being overrun - their own little private island death trap resort
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: June 08, 2010, 03:51:37 am »

Started a new fort in .05 using Ironhands tileset.
It looks amazing. Just needs to be brighter.

Runs faster too. I live in this cool valley.

Thanks for that lead, i like that graphic set!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: June 08, 2010, 07:16:13 am »

Started a new fort in .05 using Ironhands tileset.
It looks amazing. Just needs to be brighter.

Runs faster too. I live in this cool valley.

Thanks for that lead, i like that graphic set!
I actually got the idea from someone else!
Anyway, It rains alot. I mean. ALOT. It'll stop for only a minute, then continue.
Also Troglodytes we're not as much a problem this time.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

nucleus222

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: June 08, 2010, 08:49:52 am »

New to DF and had a FUN moment of my own creating. Thought it would be a good idea to release a creature i captured (I captured like 30 elk birds from the underground) in order for my military to get some experience and for the hell of it. so i stationed the military in the animal store room which is right in the middle of my fort and let out a creature. It was the demon spider which then proceeded to web my military and kill about 10 of my 32 Dwarfs. then a woodcutter when beserk destroying the elf caravan and another 7-8 dwarfs. the rest wouldnt do any work as they where being chased around by a mad axe weilding dworf. so i abandoned and started again. this time animal storage is going to be a long way from anything important.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: June 08, 2010, 09:54:47 am »

Dug into hell, just for kicks. I was impressed, my speardwarves actually took down several of them. My haulers were slaughtered as they tried to carry off the pieces of the demons. Now that's Fun.

They probably could have held hell off for a while if there weren't fire specters in the mix. I count 12 or so demons dead. I'm impressed, considering they were only moderately skilled soldiers.

Halfway through the demons slaughtering my fort, a goblin snatcher showed up. Hilarity ensued.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:00:40 am by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: June 08, 2010, 10:37:39 am »

There is panic spreading throughout the fortress...

Without warning the titan came. Dema Flowerstrap the Prairies of Twight, a square shell containing roiling steam and spitting frozen extract, at first scared few. The military assembled in the main hall while just outside the main gates a lone tigerman awaited it. Making straight for the gate the titan engaged the tigerman who was able to hold it at bay! Quickly the Ashen Standards, a two dwarf squad was ordered, with their war animals, to support. Asmel the SwordDwarf arrived first and with an expert swing severed the shell from the body of the beast. Furious combat ensued , enveloped in bursts of steam as sword, teeth and claws tore and tore and tore yet again at the roiling, undying mass!

Deep within the fort, Lorban the AxeDwarf hefted his beloved cask of wine and knew he was forgetting something. Oh yeah! He was supposed to report to the surface for a steam bath or something. Being an old fashioned dwarf, Lorban felt cleaning was creepy but he guessed orders were orders...

Elsewhere Baroness Rimtar, Mayor Rith and Fortress Manager Avuz burst into the workshop of Degel, High Master Siege Engineer. They find him flipping through a large, ancient water and fire damaged tome. They shout, threaten and entreat but he calmly continues turning pages, brow furrowed, muttering under his breath,

"Catapults? No. Magma Rail Gun? If only... but the world has changed... Icemaker? Too warm here... The Petrifyer, that would do it but we have no magma and no time to delve to it. Orbital Magma Cannon? Same problem. Hmmm... Wait a minute. Here we go. A Space Elevator linkup to an Orbital Bombardment Station. Yes... that one I think we can do."

Meanwhile at the gates civilians are milling about in a frenzy, wanting to glimpse the epic battle outside but too afraid to venture out, getting in the soldiers way and generally being a nuisance. Rumors have spread that a legendary miner is trapped outside. Other rumors state that it is Amost, one of the Founders. Lorban pushes through the crowd, drinking from his cask of wine. Unexpectedly he encounters the Militia Commander.

"Lorban! What in all the World's Bedrock have you- oh, went for a drink. That's alright then. Now that you're here, get your ass out there and help Asmel hold that thing!"

"You mean I'm not ordered up for a bath? Oh, thank Armok!"

"Where's your axe?"

"Uh.."

"Nevermind. Use the shield. I'll be watching you. Mind you don't spill any of that wine. Bookeeper tells me the fort's only got a two year supply on hand, gives me the jitters!"

"Yessir!"

And so brave Lorban has joined the battle, cask in one hand, shield bashing away in the other.

-------------

Will the brave dwarfs of Tinrain manage to hold the steam beast at bay long enough for a Space Elevator to be built high enough to enable a drop pod to be constructed over the battle? Will the pod be accurate enough to crush the beast but spare the heroic Ashen Standards? Or will it all end in tears and job cancellation spam? Tune in sometime when I find out! And then let you all know!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: June 08, 2010, 10:42:49 am »

Someone needs to make a really interesting Boatmurdered-style fortress, fill it with the interesting sort of dwarves, and then write and publish a full-size novel on what happens.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: June 08, 2010, 04:00:27 pm »

embarked in an area with absolutely no wood for the first time, so caravans are pretty important.  It's been like 2 seasons without one

an elven caravan from masami coce has arrived.
-_-

I deliver some crafts anyway and request my trader over there. when he finally gets done digging, being on break, and I'm assuming cracking jokes about elves, he makes it over there. check the goods. it's all cloth. just 10 or so cloth bins, with 4 extra cloth for no reason.

fucking elves.

seized all the goods and told them to gtfo

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: June 08, 2010, 04:17:50 pm »

Fucking troglodytes again. But this time We killed a ton of em.
Then I killed a Giant Olm, too bad none of it is saved because I forgot water now rises through holes in the ground, and since I wasn't watching, the entire room got flooded before I could do anything.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: June 08, 2010, 04:25:40 pm »

Trying out my first fort in a desert clime, and I'm (roughly, with some of my own little touches) following Treatysmokes' microfort plans. The area looks promising, mineral-wise. Rhyolite, granite, gabbro, limestone, marble, and TONS of black sand. Embarked with 200 wood and no axe - no use for it anyways. Also, 20 dogs will shortly become 20 war dogs. :D

There's a river with a small (1-z) canyon, which is nice. I'm considering building a glass pyramid on top of my fort. Whats the tallest z-level in 40d?

EDIT: Victory! A magma pool has been sighted right next to where my fortress proper is situated!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:28:17 pm by Snook »
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 3842