Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121178 times)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1275 on: February 07, 2010, 04:18:52 pm »

The work areas of my megaproject fortress are finally all up and running, and I'm just starting work on the nobles' quarters. After that, just the bedroom complex and the necropolis to go, and I'm done. The end is in sight!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: February 07, 2010, 05:37:24 pm »

Playin' a mod, just a warning
2 zombie cave bears snuck into my glacier fort.
Amongst the other horrific damage, they managed to rip ALL the legs off of my only lady warspider. She did the same to the bear, and, well, since she has more legs, the zombie ran out first and died. She survived, up at the top of my tallest tower, legless.

So I now have the Mother Spider lying there, immobile, at the top of my fortress, giving birth to my only fortress defence (the other 3 cave bears outside killed off the military). Her two mates are chained at the stairs, defending her if necessary. I wish we could name animals.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: February 07, 2010, 05:50:43 pm »

There aren't really words to describe how awesomely impressive the idea of a legless brood mother in the top of the tower is. At least, to me. Props.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: February 07, 2010, 06:57:16 pm »

Well, I pulled it, my "Flood the World!!" lever. I only kept the floodgate open for a little while (so I could get arable land outside). Results: it was a success!

Now to install gate points at crucial points on the map.
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: February 07, 2010, 07:06:25 pm »

There aren't really words to describe how awesomely impressive the idea of a legless brood mother in the top of the tower is. At least, to me. Props.
It reminds me of what they did to the mother in the Alien movies.

That's it, I'm definitely putting those aliens in the next version. Brood mother caste and warrior caste, with contact poison blood (unfortunately "acid burning through metal and everything I mean shit that would hurt" is not one of the new poison effects). All warriors are male, mother is female and a rare birth. Also, their skin is really hard and they have a mouth within a mouth. Now if only I could add in chest-bursting goodness we could have a sci-fi survival horror in dwarf fortress.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: February 07, 2010, 11:30:54 pm »

On the positive side, my magma furnaces are almost up and running. On the negative side, one of my masons gave his life breaching the magma pipe.

"ònul Kirrovod has returned to the magma, the blood pulsing through Armok's veins, from whence we sprung so many ages ago. Mantle to mantle, crust to crust. Let's drink." 

It was a touching ceremony. My legendary clothier was somewhat disappointed, as ònul wasn't just a friend, ònul was a friend wearing masterwork trousers that he designed. (But even with the art defacement and death of a friend negative thoughts, he's still ecstatic.)
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: February 09, 2010, 04:19:02 pm »

in my fort, just one naked mole dog managed to live long enough for my DM to arrive and give birth to two pups before dying soon after. Maybe I'll observe this rare opportunity and see what happens, FOR SCIENCE! :)

Its a literal adam and eve pair of naked mole dog pups here.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: February 09, 2010, 04:37:14 pm »

I abandoned my last fortress after about a year and a half.
The one I'm starting now is in a heavilly forested area, with lots of obsidian and a waterfall. My plan is to focus my fortress on the production and trade of booze.  Of course, I'll probably branch out into other industries over time.  Anyway, I always seem to do better with gimmicky fortresses than I do when I focus on metal production and a military, so I'm just gonna be un-Dwarfy for a while.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: February 09, 2010, 05:20:56 pm »

There is something wholly amusing about throwing goblns into a titan pit. Skeletal mountain goats just break free after a while, though.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Saronsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: February 09, 2010, 05:37:23 pm »

Been playing a basic, run of the mill fortress for a couple of dwarfyears now. 5 years in, with a bunch of wealth and crap, I've no nobles yet, which is sweet.

I have a legendary axedwarf that gets seriously pissed off when sieges come, and has a tendency of killing off the entire siege alone. He's running about 4x faster than my other champions, and going into a martial trance constantly, decapitating, maiming, and sending goblins flying.

Nothing major otherwise.
Wiki is wrong, the Demon has no body part with the [FLIER] tag. He is borne aloft by the winds of his furious rage.

Swivelguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: February 09, 2010, 06:04:12 pm »

Fortress cancels Get Established: Interrupted by skeletal carp.

Well, that was a Fun 17 days.  ;D

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: February 09, 2010, 06:06:34 pm »

I struck adamantine last winter, and am waiting eagerly for the king to arrive. The idea behind this fort is that it is a "Think Tank" of sorts, and a variety of weird findings are here, adamantine being one of the more mundane.

Also, I was somehow attacked by both humans and goblins at once. The humans were part of a human civilization, "The TIled Empires", and the Goblins were from a goblin civ. I'll check history later, but this is really bizarre. %|

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: February 09, 2010, 06:22:59 pm »

One of my side forts just succumbed to the fourth siege of the winter of the first year.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: February 09, 2010, 07:20:16 pm »

in my fort, just one naked mole dog managed to live long enough for my DM to arrive and give birth to two pups before dying soon after. Maybe I'll observe this rare opportunity and see what happens, FOR SCIENCE! :)

Its a literal adam and eve pair of naked mole dog pups here.
If they eat a dwarf's Adam's apple then they might get ashamed and start stealing clothes.

</multi-layered bible pun>

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: February 09, 2010, 07:42:41 pm »

started a new fort in a random location, then saved and went back to the other one. That one, I'm currently building an obsidian block wall around about a quarter of the map for safe woodcutting and plantgathering. With plans for future expansions, naturally. Have set up spike traps at entrance corridor, and have some plans for converting said long entrance into a drowning chamber. For messy orc sieges and traders who won't take all the dead ambush junk and give me something decent. Still need to work on that drainage issue though....
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 3842