Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120949 times)

Liokaizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1290 on: February 09, 2010, 08:25:48 pm »

I'm about to start a new fort now that I found my last on in Adventure Mode. I'm trying out tile packs too, to see if I like any of them.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: February 09, 2010, 09:54:06 pm »

Trying to figure out what the hell to do with all the immigrants that keep showing up despite all I've produced being furniture and crappy stonecrafts. I think I'm just going to station them all on the retracting bridge over the magma pipe and pull the lever. I'm just trying to build a test run of a magma chamber and I don't need that many masons and I can't be bothered to find jobs for all those freeloaders.

Seriously, unemployment is like 40%.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: February 09, 2010, 10:31:37 pm »

beginning construction of the huge-above-ground-castle for those useless annoying meatsacks known as nobles.
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: February 09, 2010, 10:51:23 pm »

Building an above ground apartment tower for all my dwarves.  I'm trying to do it all with stone blocks which is really a pain. 

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: February 09, 2010, 11:00:06 pm »

Finishing up the last of the digging project I've been working on since November, though I need to furnish the new part of the cavern a bit once I've finally dug it out. I'm betting it'll be done within three hours, at which point I'll let myself take my first look at it in VF / Stonesense. Ooh boy am I giddy.

ed- Okay, it took a little over four hours - whatever. So worth it. Now if I could only generate an appropriate VF light source for an underground cavern...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:18:40 am by Retro »

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: February 10, 2010, 12:31:22 am »

I looked at my craftsdwarf workshop just in time to see this...

At 100 FPS it's really quite terrifying to behold. Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is why you should always make sure you have enough embark points to buy a rope and a dog. Or else you will get a monkey train down your pants SO hard you won't know what just happened.

Also that you should never, ever, ever assume that there AREN'T monkeys on the map.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: February 10, 2010, 02:04:02 am »

I thought those were cats for a second and was horrified.

Rhesus? Psh. Get a woodcutter to make them into pieces.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: February 10, 2010, 02:23:42 am »

My two year old fortress is getting ambushed very often now, and I don't even have a standing military yet.  The magma forges are getting underway, but aren't powered yet.  On the plus side, all but one of the captured goblins has burned to death in the slowly approaching magma.  I've captured more since then, but I might just pit them right into the magma instead of setting up a compilcated trap.  I also lost my woodcutter, who was one of my original 7 and was shot in the heart by a bow goblin :/  An original miner was badly hurt too, but he's recovering.  He was also a bit miserable because his pet cats keep finding ambushes and getting shot, but his newly engraved room has improved things.  All in all, my picturesque little town has not been built yet... this fortress is basically a dwarf fortress right next to a road, and way too many goblins trying to crash the party.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: February 10, 2010, 03:00:06 am »

I suicided my last fort. It was glorious. 20-some immigrants were recruited into the magma-death room and died in one fell swoop; from then on I was short on pumping labor (I needed all 5 of my pumps manned...er, dwarfed at once since I didn't bother setting up a power source) so I just used the drawbridge over the lava to whack dwarves whenever I could. Tantrums, several melancholies and a berserk ensued. Eventually I had just 2 melancholies and one pissed but functional dwarf. The melancholies suicided, and I managed to get the last guy to pull the drawbridge lever and then stand on it (it was the meeting zone) just before it opened.

My new fort is an Atlas Shrugged-type challenge. The starting seven will go it by themselves, creating a paradise on the top of a rugged mountain far from their civilization. All immigrants will be deathtrapped (unless one shows up with a particularly interesting skill set, in which case he will  be allowed to join) and caravans will be traded with at first (since commerce is a respectable skill....and I need an anvil....but the goal is self sufficiency.) Each dwarf will design and build their own palace and they'll work together for necessities of life, common areas, defenses and so on.

I used the feature finder to find a 6x6, mountain biome with a little bit of badlands (luckily, there's sand there), a brook, magma pipe, bottomless pit, circus, and flux. Happily, I arrived to find many copper and hematite veins just poking out of the ground waiting to be dug, so the ore industry will be booming and many a suit of fine armor will be forged.

I may do a mountaintop fortress, or I may dig into the bottomless pit and build a glass tower inside it, then flood the whole thing.

And I just realized - although I want to train them all in combat, I have to watch closely and make sure they don't get Elite status so they can still work! None of them will be able to be that good of fighters.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:02:42 am by Jude »
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: February 10, 2010, 03:59:57 am »

Construction is progressing well on the new magma enhanced entrance to the fortress.  78 pumps have been built and placed to function while submerged in magma.  The hallway has been dug out, and next step is the power plant.  In the meantime the fortress thresher decided to make a wooden earring.... with 3 bolts of cloth some diamonds and some iron bars to decorate it.  I think he's trying to stretch out his ear lobes to start a new fashion trend. 

While that has been going on, the cloth industry is taking off and now dwarven flour and dimple dye abounds.  The central staircase was successfully turned in to a beast of a waterfall.  It has 4x 1 square waterfalls falling 16z levels through the 5x5 staircase.  Much mist is generated, and the fortress has been laid out so that dwarves must walk through the mist (if not switch z levels) for almost every job in the fortress by ensuring that resources are kept on the opposite side of the staircase form the workshops that use them. 

It is good that the dwarves stay happy.  I've gone with a "party free" design this time around... so my dwarves spend a lot of time talking...  The only reason I have two meeting zones is because some grudges were being formed and I decided I'd give people a second place to get away from those they hate.  My dwarves are doing well with the extra stats from talking all the time, but this fortress has a quite significant tantrum spiral potential.   I need to get the metalworking industry up and stand up a military so I have some people who won't care about life anymore.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: February 10, 2010, 04:06:53 am »

Jude: you can train them above elite with the hunter skill and not worry about them being impossible to "un-recruit". An arena works well for this purpose. As long as they don't gain a skill level while in the military, you can even recruit them and give them orders well past legendary skill level and still disband them.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Plastik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: February 10, 2010, 04:17:57 am »

Getting back on my feet now after a failed attempt to capture a named GCS, which started a horrid war between my dwarves, troglodytes, said GCS, a giant bat, a fire imp and naked mole dogs that left me with ten dwarves left and most of the threats on the map dead. Tricked some ratmen into cage traps so I could begin claiming the chasm as part of my fort when lo and behold another GCS. Captured and will soon be producing wonderful wonderful silk. Thought I was gonna tantrum spiral at one point, guess my dwarves are just death hardened fellows. Once I have claimed the chasm for my dwarves i'll set about making an epic waterfall.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: February 10, 2010, 11:02:43 am »

I'm seriously considering killing my fortress in a grand orgy of death, destruction, and magma; it's gone 3-5 years without a siege, not even so much as an ambush to spoil things. I made a lot of mistakes with my cheating and design here, and intend to do better next time.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: February 10, 2010, 11:43:29 am »

Waited too long to close my main gates during an orc siege. All but two orcs in the foremost squad made it into my above ground human settlement... My few archers fell quickly, followed by everyone else...  :-\ about 32 in total.
And this was less than a year after recovering from a tantrum spiral that took me from 37 humans to 3 humans.  :'(

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: February 10, 2010, 12:14:28 pm »

Monkeys, monkeys, everywhere! My domesticated rhesus macaque population is out of control and the butcher is desperately trying to avert monkeysplosion! They said everything's better with monkeys! They lied!

Excavation of the 15 cell wide, 3 z-level deep moat surrounding the entire fort is progressing slowly (in both the game time sense and the FPS sense) but surely.

Just tested the new execution pit; the goblin's head came off and bounced up 3 z-levels on impact.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 3842