Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121365 times)

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1260 on: February 06, 2010, 04:53:40 pm »

Caravans will not come if you are in a state of siege.
Damn...I just reclaim then.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: February 06, 2010, 08:02:44 pm »

Ah crap.

So I've just spent the last week (real-time) carving out a massive space, creating about 300k stone. Literally, the whole week - I've been leaving it running overnight while using Dtil's Unpause. This isn't the first time I've done such a thing on this fort, but I really messed up this time.

See, here's how the first big dig happened: Build temp fort, dig out utterly massive area, use matgloss token editry to boil away the extra stone. The first time this worked quite well, although I lost a handful of masterwork armour stands and the like - definitely worth it, I thought, to remove 300k stone worth of lag in a single frame of computer processing.

However, following this, I set up permanent camp in the newly-dug-out area, got the main part of the fort working, then after a four year break started digging out massive area #2. See, area #1 was the actual fort, and area #2 was for the most part just an aesthetic extension of it despite the amount of stone being used.

So I just finished digging everything out tonight, and did a once-over of the fort before I set up my boiler. Looked like I'd lose a lot of unused masterwork mechanisms, some noble furniture... overall, nothing that special. HA HA HA HA HA HA. I ignore the ominous feeling and take the plunge.

Bam, 300k stone gone. However, my lake is suddenly half empty and continuing its drainage, while engineering is flooded. I start freaking out and investigating in paused mode. It seems I forgot to account for mechanisms already installed into buildings. So my floodgates, despite being made of non-boiled stone, got uprooted and now my lake is draining into the UG river chasm. Also, my recreational pool which I'd spent a long time micromanaging to get it to exactly 4/7 depth all around was draining into engineering because the pump used a microcline block and collapsed. And I can't fix any of this because the twenty levers to operate my massive pump/floodgate setup all used at least one microcline mechanism and deconstructed themselves. Also the orthoclase gear assemblies in the powerplant failed and the waterwheels fell apart. And it seems that every single mechanism my four legendary engineers ever made was of one of the stones destroyed, and I've got a lot of dwarves tantruming - prior to this, my least happy dwarf was at 1400 or so happiness (150 is ecstatic).

Normally losing is Fun, but I'm about to lose four months of IRL tender loving care, and am flipping out. Aaaaaaaaaaugh. I'm really hoping this situation is salvageable. My framerate was already at 0 even before all this water started moving about. Yeesh.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: February 06, 2010, 08:49:21 pm »

Ah crap.

I assume since you have to edit the raws to do this, that you have to exit the game (IE Save)..

Force the game closed without a save, and voila, no more disaster...

Now you know you shouldn't hack the game to get rid of stone... atom smashers are much safer :-)

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: February 06, 2010, 08:51:24 pm »

Constructing a huge Above-ground castle to get rid of some stone, and I don't think I'll have enough, so... Strip mine area FTW

Edit: also, I still have a Human Pikeman in a dried-up pond.
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: February 06, 2010, 09:32:06 pm »

Ah crap.
I assume since you have to edit the raws to do this, that you have to exit the game (IE Save)..

Now you know you shouldn't hack the game to get rid of stone... atom smashers are much safer :-)

Yeah, but there was so much stone it took half an hour to process the single step that turned them all into boiled air, and I saved right after. I have plenty of backups, but I'd lose a couple days' progress. Still considering reverting nonetheless. And atom-smashers are kind of useless when you have 300k stone spread out over a roughly 100x100x22 square space :\

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: February 06, 2010, 09:47:24 pm »

Ah crap.

Yeah, but there was so much stone it took half an hour to process the single step that turned them all into boiled air, and I saved right after. I have plenty of backups, but I'd lose a couple days' progress. Still considering reverting nonetheless. And atom-smashers are kind of useless when you have 300k stone spread out over a roughly 100x100x22 square space :\

Yeah, rereading  my post I should have made it clearer that was more of a joke.  On a serious note tho... If you have a good supply of food and drink, it might be easier to just leave your comp on for a few hours with your dwarves set to speed 0 to dump the stone in either a bottomless pit/magma or under a raised bridge.

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: February 06, 2010, 10:20:01 pm »

I'm messing around with the Auto-Child-Culling fort, and two of the children are Legendary Consolers.

I lol'ed, and I realized I'm a terrible human being.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: February 06, 2010, 10:23:15 pm »

Just had first combat experience - two quick raids by goblins which were easily repelled by my fortress guards. Then a few seasons passed and a small siege lead by a goblin hammerer noble which was again easily dealt with. More recently I've had a few raids which have been fairly devastating despite their small size, I haven't quite got the hang of commanding soldiers yet or a big enough military so they're often not in the right place. Defenses are basic, the second to last raid was so bad it prompted me to build a drawbridge but even then in the last raid I lost a guardsdwarf and two babies. Still haven't completed the underground reservoir or got booze production running yet so can't close off the perimeter completely so my dorfs can drink.

To be honest my fortress is pretty crap and I'm thinking of starting over - I have a good layout but its taking absolutely ages to get everything built to the stage where its actually effective and I can get production running well.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:24:59 pm by Spong »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: February 07, 2010, 01:06:42 am »

If you have a good supply of food and drink, it might be easier to just leave your comp on for a few hours with your dwarves set to speed 0 to dump the stone in either a bottomless pit/magma or under a raised bridge.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing already - even with SPEED:0 they used to move about one square every second and a half before the mass water flow started adding FPS. It's taking hours to play out each day... I think this is salvageable, but I really am at way-less-than-0 FPS.

In other news, my titan is now supertitanly tough! :D

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: February 07, 2010, 10:42:43 am »

Oh for Armok's sake.

I wax prideful about my legendary champion wrestlers that are pretty much mecha for all the armor they cart around and the ease with which they hurl goblins through the air, splattering body parts all over the place. (Literally, last time one of them entered a martial trance I ended up with a goblin head that flew up two z-levels and over a pump stack.)

So I was a little worried when an ambush hit my woodcutters/wood haulers and all the champion squad captains were inside, chowing down.

A facepalm moment was very narrowly avoided as I quickly drafted each woodcutter and organized them into a single squad, intending to stick them in front of the haulers and present a somewhat more sharp and shiny target to keep the goblins busy while the champs arrived.

The champs then proceeded to be completely put to fucking shame by a couple of combat noobs with axes. Seriously, the most hard-ass thing any of them had ever hacked was a highwood. And I checked their skills, only two of them (out of four within reach, out of six total drafted) made it to "Dabbling Axedwarf".

Either axes are the Tamiflu to goblin swine flu, or champions aren't all they're cracked up to be.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: February 07, 2010, 10:59:17 am »

Either axes are the Tamiflu to goblin swine flu, or champions aren't all they're cracked up to be.

That first one, far as I've found, anyways.  I like axes as the all-round most useful weapon. No huge stuckin problems, lots of hurling critters off cliffs, lots of disabling opponents by removing limbs, the only thing it doesn't do is stabbity damage. This comes up sometimes. Also, armor and shields start tipping the balance real quick. And woodcutters can't dodge bullets arrows.

Since I like axes on my dwarves so much, I also made a second (crappier) axe type that uses the woodcutting skill, using that ranged-weapon hack. Woodcuttters should darned well know how to use their own axe.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: February 07, 2010, 11:39:42 am »

So, my new fort was accidentally flooded in the second year. I was able to save the kitchen. I figured that if enough dwarves survived I could pump out the water and start rebuilding. It almost worked, apart from the two tantrumming dwarves that slaughtered the 8 remaining. There's 1 dwarf alive, and it's the mayor. He's trapped in the kitchen, currently conducting a meeting. All ways out are flooded.

I also hit clownite in the first year, so the king was most likely among the immigrants. Ooops.

edit: however! the mayor's still alive, and he's got food for years there. He's also got a barrel, so he'll be able to make boozeahol once he needs to. I've enabled stone detailing so he's got something to do while waiting, also gonna build a mason's workshop so he's got a table and a chair.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:49:39 am by azazel »
マグマキッド

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: February 07, 2010, 11:47:08 am »

a second (crappier) axe type that uses the woodcutting skill, using that ranged-weapon hack. Woodcuttters should darned well know how to use their own axe.

This puzzled me until I realized you meant "as opposed to Axedwarf skill". That's a pretty damn useful fix, although I think perhaps gained experience in Woodcutting skill should give an additional, smaller proportion of Axedwarf skill instead, so that, say, legendary Woodcutter means the dwarf also has normal (no adjective) Axedwarf. True, if you work with an axe every day, you're not going to think twice about using it to fight when nasties show up, but it's one thing to chop down a tree, and quite another to hack apart an angry little bastard that's intent on ripping your spine out through your anus.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: February 07, 2010, 11:56:10 am »

but since I can't do that, a crappier weapon, and a different skill use is the fix I can manage.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: February 07, 2010, 12:08:48 pm »

My king has arrived, dressed as a peasant!

Joy of joys!

At least the nature isn't that dangerous.

edit: An ambush! Curse them!

(actually, two ambushes - the workforce of about 20 that arrived with the kind are now down to 2, with two huuuuge goblin ambushes waiting just outside the fort, a thin line of traps the only defense)

edit 2: Your strength is broken!
Last surviving member was, after 2 years of struggle to create something so that pumping out the water in the lower levels would be possible, the Dungeon Master. Great help she was. The fortress never recovered from the blow of ònul Axecircle's tantrum spiral in the year 102.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 03:06:24 pm by azazel »
マグマキッド
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 3842