Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121372 times)

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1245 on: February 05, 2010, 02:41:31 pm »

Don't make me whip out the <blink> tag.

I just started a fort that got the random name "Webstandards".

I'll try to keep it W3C-compliant.
Please use the strict syntax. I weep for the existence of the looser ones :'(

no, not that! just, you should probably place tables liberally all over your fort for aesthetic reasons... bonus points if your tables are engraved with images of tables engraved with images of tables... because nested tables are awesome.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: February 05, 2010, 03:09:04 pm »

The human guild representative came last year to discuss trade agreements.  Unfortunately for him, my trader is busy with the rest of my fortress dumping stone from the mountain leveling I did (and will be doing for the next 18 years, this is going to take forever).  So he's just followed the trader around as he hauled stone to the dump, not talking, just waiting.  His caravan left without him.  The seasons changed, time went on, his caravan came back and left again!  I'm starting to wonder how long I can string the guy along.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: February 05, 2010, 03:30:28 pm »

Just did a checkup on the titan I've got exercising in the DM's megabeast training centre. The guy's a level 30 swimmer now, and moving on to level 31 shortly, with 72239 exp to his name. 2 Strength, 7 Agility, 4 Toughness. I'm hoping to get him up past visibly-perfect stats and then see if he can take any of my dwarves. Sadly, he's signifiantly less experienced than even the only child of the fort, who's level 18 in every social stat and has a little over twice the experience.

Should be a Fun surprise to any reclaiming adventurer, though :D

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #1248 on: February 05, 2010, 08:58:12 pm »

The catch and release program for megabeasts?

I imagine you throwing the titan out in the sea, then adventurers might get to see a titan swim in the ocean. It would be hilarious.

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: February 05, 2010, 09:25:07 pm »

It should ride whales.
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: February 05, 2010, 11:28:04 pm »

The first dwarven caravan arrived...without a liason. ??? :'( any suggestions?
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1251 on: February 05, 2010, 11:32:10 pm »

Sometimes the liason dies in worldgen.  Nothing you can do to get a new one, at least in the current version.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: February 05, 2010, 11:33:30 pm »

Just got a tantrum spiral and all my dwarfs died but 4. Currently being siege by orcs and goblins. Locking my dwarfs  in the food and booze stock pile. Orcs and goblins out side. 500 drinks and 800 food... where are you dwarven caravan!
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: February 05, 2010, 11:43:58 pm »

Caravans will not come if you are in a state of siege.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #1254 on: February 05, 2010, 11:45:25 pm »

Let them reproduce for a while, then arm them and let them storm outside to break the siege, Helm's Deep-style.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: February 05, 2010, 11:56:46 pm »

It will only take 12 years + gestation period + training period for the first soldier.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: February 06, 2010, 01:37:22 am »

Well, I got the nasty message "Olon Abanudist, Ranger cancels hunt: Too injured." So I immediately zoom in and find him futilely bashing a fire imp with his crossbow. Predictably, a fireball shoots out and Olon comes down with a case of fun. Before I can muster the military to his aide, up to the struggle runs... his hunting dog and horse foal. I decide to hold off on sending in the troops. The dog leaps into action, resulting in this:

Not a scratch on him. I'm hoping the dog carries the fire imp's head for the next few years. I envision it dangling off his collar, like a St. Bernard's keg.

On a positive note, now I can send Olon's horse and cow to the stables. And oddly enough, none of his clothes caught fire.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 01:40:40 am by caknuck »
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: February 06, 2010, 09:55:55 am »

I like how his dog almost has the same name.

I just got back into playing yesterday evening.  My Fortress is called Highwound, and the group is called The Machine of Alliance.  (The first time the random names have ever satisfied me!)  For the most part, there's not too much to say.  I started in some very low cliffs, and dug a little maze leading to the entrance.  Since I'm right next to a brook, I just dug a moat (my first ever) around the fortress.  It turned out just like I wanted it, but now it's Early Winter and I'm out of booze.  My miners are digging their way to the area where I want my farm.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: February 06, 2010, 12:50:14 pm »

Kobolds are looting dead migrants near the edge of the map.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: February 06, 2010, 01:02:12 pm »

Well it seems the stupid Countess and her Adamantine mandate has gone insane like the last one. Now we just have to wait on her consort to do the same
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 3842