Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3530 3531 [3532] 3533 3534 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965745 times)

blister_pack

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil biome package of hairy goodies.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52965 on: November 22, 2018, 02:36:27 pm »

6 months ago dwarves of Rivergates withstood their first real goblin siege. All the previous attacks (be it formal battles or informal ambushes) turned out to be mere overture to this one. Gates were shut, but there turned out to be one small hole near the backdoor of the wood hauling minecart track, so open battle was the only option. The siege - about 70 strong with beak dog cavalry and trolls - was routed, but at the cost of lives or health of most of Rivergates' weappn masters. We previously bled some of our best axelords due to failed outer battles, not to mention that two years ago we sent half of our military to recapture one of the Heavenly Flags' best fortresses, captured by treacherous elves.

by the way, funny how during every single attack Rivergates was harassed by elves and elves alone, no matter if we were attacked by goblin or elven civs. The only difference was in material their gear was made of. Political situation in the region is a real mess, it seems that everyone is attacking everybody else. We were raided by 2 eleven and 3 goblin civs, but 6 months ago our first gobbo siege happened.

With most of its best military dwarves six feet under, no more imigrants and population slowly decreased from 210 to 130, Rivergates decided to build some traps at last. Brand new +corridor of death+ was crafted. We thought we had 1 year to prepare for showdown. and then the elves came. on horses. and war grizzly bears. and giant wolves. and... giant foxes?

right now a 8 dwarves strong squad with 3 remaining Spearmasters defends the half-finished corridor of traps. the bridge closes behind them...

update: we're down to 1 spearmaster, speargobbo made from ex-bard and human mercenary with artifact pike. seems I utterly underestimated thise giant wolves. elves filled the corridor with mutilated bodies, but all cages are full and nearly all weapon traps are jammed. if only we managed to wire the hydra cage on time...

When they fall, the fate of Rivergates depends on two squads of rookies, 8 mediocre marksdwarves, one legendary miner, a mayor with artifact hammer and legless veteran macedwarf with artifact mace.
and an outside tavern full of drunk monster slayers, bards and treasure hunters...

We cannot get out

but we yet may see the dawn
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 02:38:10 pm by blister_pack »

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52966 on: November 22, 2018, 02:50:15 pm »

^ Nice! please tell me that Rivergates actually has a river incorporated into its design? you have some really great names going there too.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #52967 on: November 22, 2018, 06:46:11 pm »

Sounds like you're in a prime position to start a Dwarven Mental Health Center and Psychiatric Care Facility. He's clearly a very troubled individual.

He tantrummed again - punched a dog this time and toppled two forges. Got another beating and was sent to jail for two months.

Funnily enough, he's doing better now that he was before, and you know why? He feels "repentant" after being confined! It's a fairly strong stress-reliving emotion, and it's dropped him down from haggard to merely stressed. Apparently prison really can rehabilitate some folks...

Meanwhile I have another stressed dwarf - she was basically thrown in prison a week after she arrived for "violating a production order." Yeah, mayor... a production order you gave before she was even here.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

brotundbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52968 on: November 22, 2018, 09:29:23 pm »

Just had my first successful strange mood of this fortress. A child made a rock salt earring engraved with a depiction of the former well-loved mayor's tragic death fighting a cave crocodile, which happened long before she was ever born. The idea that my dwarves are still talking about Mayor Ashib's noble sacrifice and honoring his memory makes me happy.

blister_pack

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil biome package of hairy goodies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52969 on: November 23, 2018, 04:19:48 am »

^ Nice! please tell me that Rivergates actually has a river incorporated into its design? you have some really great names going there too.

Brook actually, but it becomes major river down north. Dark fortress is half a day north away at the banks of the same river, I like the idea the gobbos of Exalted Tick have to drink what we send them. Most of it is rotten ooze; the fort is located between sinister hills and mirthful mountains. So yeah, we get a fair mix of gremlins and gnomes around here. And pixies are swarming around the Main Mound as well as over fields of bodies of our wannabe conquerors.

The settlement is actually two settlements: we've got aquifer at level -1 so the Main Mound is the southern fortress squeezed into two z-levels of a mountain slope. A paved road leads north to Norbury, through the Pearwood Bridge - few wooden shacks made for The Big Folk around a bridge and the outer tavern (The Gory Wood-Bridge), where patrons from one z-level above have a nice view on the Killing Fields, where majority of the battles was fought. Norbury serves as the source of not-covered-by-rotten-ooze wood, has a prickle berry and potato plantation and is located on the only area without the aquifer.

I planned to pierce the aquifer more traditionally, but it took so long between sieges, freezing winters (lost 2 original miners to ice) and electing a vampire mayor that dividing dwarves into 2 groups, setting up burrows and mining around the aquifer seemed a better option. oh, the Norbury Mines have all the flux on the map also.

We pierced the aquifer from below, so now an underground tunnel mirrors the paved road (much less stressful + we,ve got showers from aquifer above and the plumbing was set in a way enabling us to tap the water power later). Separate burrows stood for 2 years and it was a pain in the arse due to cancellation spam.

Anyway, the Storm Troopers perished all but one spearmaster who turned out to be sleeping in his quarters (the pikeman with artifact pike made some nice last stand killing 5 elves and disabling a giant war grizzly bear). the war grizzly bears were actually GIANT, which makes their relatively quick victory over spearmasters a little less weird. there were giant badgers and hamsters as wel, all used as mounts, and this was a great sight to behold. The whole zoo went nicely through the meat mincer, half of the troops routed before they reached the other side. the bridge was closed, I flapped auxiliary bridges for a while, but I dont think I caught anyone (bridges were from old gcs bunker, so only 2 squares wide, nor for crushing things)

the fight then went to the outer tavern, mayor somehow got tangled in it and was killed. the artifact hammer seems to be cursed. the late vampire mayor is responsible for sure. patrons got killed, alves got bashed in the head with books, saw the Killing Fields and fled. the rookie militia got chance to fire as much as one volley. catapults shot twice. the bridge was opened and the militia commander chased fleeing elves with her steel pick. killed three. Painful squeeks of giant hamsters jammed in the meat mincer were all that was left.

the day did come again
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 04:21:25 am by blister_pack »

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52970 on: November 23, 2018, 04:46:26 am »

Two squads of my elite dwarves clashed with a nasty FB, leaving them rotting all over and blind. Just so happened that elves ambushed us right after my dwarves were released from the hospital. My military rushed into the battle completely blind...apparently blind dwarves don't fight very well, even with steel equipment. They died, but they will not be forgotten.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52971 on: November 23, 2018, 12:38:42 pm »

I created a new fort, and customarily checked what kind of gods my dwarves worship. Three of them worship the god of gambling, which is  proper for such a dangerous enterprise.

But one god has a surprising set of domains, in this order:  Creation, Pregnancy, Birth, Marriage, Oaths(*) and Generosity. It perfectly describes natural timeline of relationships in many universes, though the last stage (Generosity) usually covers only the male side.

*)I'm sure the meaning here is "Profane or obscene expression usually of surprise or anger".

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #52972 on: November 23, 2018, 03:40:41 pm »

Bit of a crosspost with the subreddit, but my fort was the site of a five-way battle between my forces, the Highborne, the Tuskarr, the Fel Murlocs and the High Elves. I'm honestly kind of surprised I came out of it with all my soldiers alive, even if some of them sustained significant injuries and will now be confined to the hospital for a while.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #52973 on: November 23, 2018, 08:55:50 pm »

It perfectly describes natural timeline of relationships in many universes, though the last stage (Generosity) usually covers only the male side.

::)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #52974 on: November 24, 2018, 10:57:17 am »

Urist McGod, goddess of unwanted pregnancies and child support.
I'm amazed by how down to earth dorfs can be. Forget enlightment, finding meaning in life or understanding the universe. Our gods care about social security for teen moms
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 11:06:39 am by Cathar »

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #52975 on: November 24, 2018, 03:25:12 pm »

While we're on the subject, I learned something new (at least, new to me) about gods recently.

My civ lists six gods (actually all goddesses, which is neat). One of them is Muved, goddess of lust and depravity. Curiously, while the other five goddesses have ~30 worshipers each, Muved has none. None at all. In a fortress of 100+, 7 years in, no Muved worshipers.

So I checked Legends Viewer, using the advanced search to find every historical figure "related" to the six goddesses (i.e. their worshipers). Once again, Muved had no worshipers, while the other five all had at least some. This is over 200 years of history.

I checked further, looking through the gods of the human civ to our south. Two of their gods - a duck goddess of rainbows and misery, and a god of trickery, treachery, and lies - also had no worshipers. Casting about to other civs I found a goddess of theft, also unworshipped.

It appears, then, that god of certain (probably negative or "immoral") spheres won't be worshipped, either in worldgen or Fort Mode. In other words some gods are "recognized" who are not venerated, like evil gods in certain mythologies. I haven't tested this extensively, though - what spheres are excluded? Does it perhaps depend on ethics/values?

Oh, another thing about gods: the "forces" worshipped by Elves are based on the forest the civ is in, so two civs starting in the same forest region will worship the same force.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #52976 on: November 24, 2018, 03:52:14 pm »

While we're on the subject, I learned something new (at least, new to me) about gods recently.

My civ lists six gods (actually all goddesses, which is neat). One of them is Muved, goddess of lust and depravity. Curiously, while the other five goddesses have ~30 worshipers each, Muved has none. None at all. In a fortress of 100+, 7 years in, no Muved worshipers.

So I checked Legends Viewer, using the advanced search to find every historical figure "related" to the six goddesses (i.e. their worshipers). Once again, Muved had no worshipers, while the other five all had at least some. This is over 200 years of history.

I checked further, looking through the gods of the human civ to our south. Two of their gods - a duck goddess of rainbows and misery, and a god of trickery, treachery, and lies - also had no worshipers. Casting about to other civs I found a goddess of theft, also unworshipped.

It appears, then, that god of certain (probably negative or "immoral") spheres won't be worshipped, either in worldgen or Fort Mode. In other words some gods are "recognized" who are not venerated, like evil gods in certain mythologies. I haven't tested this extensively, though - what spheres are excluded? Does it perhaps depend on ethics/values?

Oh, another thing about gods: the "forces" worshipped by Elves are based on the forest the civ is in, so two civs starting in the same forest region will worship the same force.
Yes, I've noticed the same thing myself. However, dark gods can be worshipped if they are either the last god on the civilization's list, or if they are a god of death.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52977 on: November 24, 2018, 03:56:26 pm »

All wish to appease Death.

None succeed.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52978 on: November 24, 2018, 04:28:09 pm »

All wish to appease Death.

None succeed.
Probably because all anyone ever says to them is "Not today!".

Well when is the day, Betty? When?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52979 on: November 24, 2018, 04:30:03 pm »

I'd be quite content with never. Urist McDeath can Kenny my friends and family all he likes, so long as he stays the feck away from me. He's not invited to my house.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3530 3531 [3532] 3533 3534 ... 3838