Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3532 3533 [3534] 3535 3536 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969283 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52995 on: November 28, 2018, 01:50:49 am »

New fortress, just because the last one was on too large an embark to be sustainable.

I built this time onna 2x2 plot. First prder of business was to build a defensive wall overhanging a ditch around the fort and a drawbridge. That went smooth enough, and with a defensible position i ordered the dwarves to dig deeper down and out. We got plentt of migrants, and by the end of the first year/our 18th month had 47 dwarves. Had some warbeasts too, a critter i was testing for use in the future, and these turned out important.

About that 1.5 year mark a mountain boar attacked. Basically a boar about the size of a giant sperm whale with some innate skills. I figured id just close the drawbridge until my militia was prepared to take it or lure it into a trap like i did last time when a fairy queen attacked. But i missed a spot; in digging the ditch around the fort, it went straight through a pond, most of which was inside the walls, and i hadnt thought to wall that off. The boar got inside through that, and proceeded to fuck shit up. It took my entire population and all the warbeasts at once to get it to pass out from exhaustion and finally bleed to death; being so huge none of the attacks could really do anything but scratch the skin/fat, so theres no such thing as a clean kill. But these crazy warbeasts, they started attacking each other and the dwarves!

In the end, all but three of the warbeasts were dead, along with a dozen or so dwarves, and another dozen or so hospitalized. I just had the last three of the warbeasts butchered, because theyre obviously a liability and need better testing. The dwarves that werent hospitalized or killed were pressganged into either emergency medical staff or digging and and furnishing tombs. It took months to get most of them out of the hospital, and since i was feeling brave i thought id wall off the first cavern. Big mistake. First bunch of modified ant people flooded in and started flying in the air above my dwarves, picking fights and sending more back to the hospital. Then a nosferatu showed up; a hideous humanoid bloodsucker. It managed to kill several dwarves as well. One of the survivors, badly injured, got out of the hospital and promptly died of dehydration while literally holding a goblet over a barrel of ale, because somehow he just hung up and couldnt get to the filling the mug and drinking from it step.

A cook that witnessed this was so badly shaken by it, as well as the rest of the ongoing violence and poor quality of life, that he started tantrumming. He ripped up another farmers neck pretty badly, hospitalizing them and requiring sutures, but i delayed punishment because i wanted to build a proper prison before convicting him. Go figure, hes cool for a few months, only haggard and occasionally stumbling obliviously, then he loses it again and beats up yet another dwarf. This time i have a chain designated and convict him on both counts, but the sheriff decides to beat him up instead. Now he not only cancels tasks from flashbacks to seeing the blacksmith die, but also from being beaten.

Ive made him a really nice engraved 5x5 bedroom with a masterwork bed, shared with his wife and kids, and that as well as a new mayor with good consoler/pacifier skills has led to him stumbling around less often, and the last time he threw a tantrum he didnt actually hit anybody. I also learned he likes cabbages, which i figured id start providing from one of the aboveground farms.

In the meantime there was a goblin attack; one squad of archers and a snatcher. The snatcher met a swift end thanks to a human mercenary who was wandering through the trap tunnel at the right moment, and the archers, after turning the human into a pincushion, stumbled into the cage traps.

Then there was an attack from the local necromancer. Technically a dark wizard, whose "zombies" are actually shadow people called a "Lo". From a really intense dream i had a while back, but anyway. Half of these could fly, so the went right up over my walls and started attacking my farm animals. I recruited a quick militia with an archer squad and a couple melee teams and ordered them to go stand underneath them, and sure enough the fliers dropped like flies, because theyre made of flame, technically. Then i ordered the marksdwarves up onto a wall, and the idiots not only started shooting at the walkers, but jumped off the wall. Several of them died, as the grass caught fire, and one of them brought her newborn baby with her, so the kid died too. The dark wizard escaped, but the rest of the loes were destroyed.

Since then its been pretty quiet. Weve mostly been manufacturing equipment to invade the goblin nation. A lot of dwarves from the old fort are showing up too, which means a lot of good crafts skills and several legendary skills.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52996 on: November 29, 2018, 09:07:12 am »

Sent my dwarves on their first mission last night.  20 dwarves and 40 war dogs set off to pillage a nearby goblin settlement.  Victorious, we lost only half a dozen dogs and there were no major injuries to the dwarves, among them several legendary warriors, including a spearmaster who is unfortunately attached to his original copper spear while everyone else has been upgraded to iron.  These soldiers were itching for more combat after felling the forgotten beast that had killed my three legendary miners.  :(

Truly, it was worth the strategic risk of sending most of my military into battle in order to steal several cabinets and some troll pants.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52997 on: November 29, 2018, 09:25:23 am »

How does one send multiple squads on a raid?

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52998 on: November 29, 2018, 10:04:13 am »

^ after creating the raid mission, go back to the "c"-screen. Under "missions" you can add squads.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52999 on: November 29, 2018, 03:03:54 pm »

I built this time onna 2x2 plot. First prder of business was to build a defensive wall overhanging a ditch around the fort and a drawbridge. That went smooth enough, and with a defensible position i ordered the dwarves to dig deeper down and out. We got plentt of migrants, and by the end of the first year/our 18th month had 47 dwarves. Had some warbeasts too, a critter i was testing for use in the future, and these turned out important.

I've been having fun on 3x3 embark sites for my last two fortresses.  Small enough to keep track of and make you think vertically, but large enough to allow larger structures.  I'll try 2x2 next time, I think.

Also, I always take two dogs with me now, and the puppies all enter the war corps.  They're like free cannon fodder.  (Less the emotional cost to Urist Irwin having seen Rintintin torn to shreds by a zombie.)  I hope to catch a breeding pair of grizzly bears someday.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53000 on: November 29, 2018, 03:52:56 pm »

I hope to catch a breeding pair of grizzly bears someday.

That my friend.Is exactly why Toady added the raids system. Go raid an elven settlement! I managed to get my hands on no less than 15 Grizzly bears with only 3 raids.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:18:53 am by GPeter »
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53001 on: November 29, 2018, 04:23:44 pm »

That my friend.Is exactly why Toady added the raids system. Go raid an elven settlement! I managed to get my hands on no less than 15 Grizzly bears with only 3 raids.

I can't endorse genocide.  Based on my conquest of the goblins, I can only imagine the body count if I attacked the elves.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53002 on: November 29, 2018, 04:31:38 pm »

I can't endorse genocide.  Based on my conquest of the goblins, I can only imagine the body count if I attacked the elves.
There are non-violent bear stealing options for raids too. For the times when you just want to take a stand against all the elf hate out there (but still want to steal their pets).

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53003 on: November 30, 2018, 06:15:44 am »

I've been having fun on 3x3 embark sites for my last two fortresses.  Small enough to keep track of and make you think vertically, but large enough to allow larger structures.  I'll try 2x2 next time, I think.

Also, I always take two dogs with me now, and the puppies all enter the war corps.  They're like free cannon fodder.  (Less the emotional cost to Urist Irwin having seen Rintintin torn to shreds by a zombie.)  I hope to catch a breeding pair of grizzly bears someday.
i've always played 3x3 and the forts i tried on 2x2 always lacked many geographical features and it is more idfficult to have 2x2 with 3 different biomes.
also on 2x2 you can barely build anything aboveground and when an army or FB comes along, it basically already stands right infront of your doorstep and you can't possibly turtle in anymore.
i wonder if it's worth the great fps.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53004 on: November 30, 2018, 07:35:19 am »

i've always played 3x3 and the forts i tried on 2x2 always lacked many geographical features and it is more idfficult to have 2x2 with 3 different biomes.
also on 2x2 you can barely build anything aboveground and when an army or FB comes along, it basically already stands right infront of your doorstep and you can't possibly turtle in anymore.
i wonder if it's worth the great fps.

Embarking on much smaller scale is not worth it, from my experience. Number of creatures (and items, if significant) is far more important. I downloaded some fort recently where a player embarked on 5x5 (I never do such big embarks myself), it had 200 citizens plus about 300 animals and 100 visitor, and it runs much quicker than my 4x3 embark with 400 citizens, 250 animals and 250 visitors (including POWs).

Then I ran some tests, by killing creatures, and their number was the most important factor in determining frames per second. For example by killing 20% of creatures, I gained about 25% FPS boost. How much floor space (including caverns) is revealed also counts, so bigger embark can have bigger drop, but if you dig about as much on big and on small embark, then the difference in the surface doesn't have as much impact as critters.

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53005 on: November 30, 2018, 09:05:50 am »

I raided the elves last night!  We successfully stole... a bunch of wooden shoes!  Open the stills, boys, we're cloggin' tonight!

Oddly, we were already at war with them.  Their caravan had recently left, so I don't know what happened between then and now to make them hate us.  I didn't offer them anything wooden.  Oh well, their loss.  (Literally, their loss, mostly of life but also goods.)

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53006 on: November 30, 2018, 11:51:07 am »

I raided the elves last night!  We successfully stole... a bunch of wooden shoes!  Open the stills, boys, we're cloggin' tonight!

Oddly, we were already at war with them.  Their caravan had recently left, so I don't know what happened between then and now to make them hate us.  I didn't offer them anything wooden.  Oh well, their loss.  (Literally, their loss, mostly of life but also goods.)

Make sure you have the "Steal Livestock" option enabled on the details of the mission. Sometimes they did had animals, but your dwarves never even tried to steal them
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53007 on: November 30, 2018, 01:13:18 pm »

Make sure you have the "Steal Livestock" option enabled on the details of the mission. Sometimes they did had animals, but your dwarves never even tried to steal them

I did!  Don't worry, I know that it's all the luck of the draw.  I just thought it was funny that my squads came back bragging of victory, and their loot bags were full of tchotkes.  (I would expect nothing less from an Elven settlement, but it was still a definite Dwarf Fortress Comedy moment.)

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53008 on: November 30, 2018, 01:49:42 pm »

I did!  Don't worry, I know that it's all the luck of the draw.  I just thought it was funny that my squads came back bragging of victory, and their loot bags were full of tchotkes.  (I would expect nothing less from an Elven settlement, but it was still a definite Dwarf Fortress Comedy moment.)

If at first you don't suceed. Try again! And again, and again. Until you finally run out of dwarves (or fps).

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #53009 on: November 30, 2018, 04:35:08 pm »

I am challenging myself by creating a fortress that is only 1x1. It took a while to find a good site with both cavern water and an adamantine spire, but I got one and the fort is doing well. It's fun to mix up my normal fortress design for one that's more vertical.
Pages: 1 ... 3532 3533 [3534] 3535 3536 ... 3839