Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3531 3532 [3533] 3534 3535 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969198 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52980 on: November 24, 2018, 06:18:25 pm »

So...it's not in my fort precisely, but I taught a friend to play DF recently, through screen sharing. We made a military, two industries (cloth and metal) and successfully built an artefact. Feelgoodman.png

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52981 on: November 24, 2018, 06:29:30 pm »

I tried to get a friend into DF once.
They sent me a picture and asked why nothing was happening.

The image was full of red splashes, red 'd's and dwarf symbols. Explaining that those bones - yes, not refuse - are actually the limbs of the dwarf they'd named after their mother was not a pleasant experience.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #52982 on: November 24, 2018, 06:53:51 pm »

It's now time for "Good idea, bad idea"

Good idea :
Naming your dorfs after other forumites when you're comfortable with the game

Bad idea:
Naming your dorfs about your family members when you've just started and feel curious about magma

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52983 on: November 24, 2018, 08:30:57 pm »

It's now time for "Good idea, bad idea"

Good idea :
Naming your dorfs after other forumites when you're comfortable with the game

Bad idea:
Naming your dorfs about your family members when you've just started and feel curious about magma
I actually laughed outloud, thank you for that.

In lighter news- With equal parts magic and determination, I have created the ultimate vacation destionation; a land so tropical it will melt your face.  If the local wildlife fails to entertain me, I have no doubt I can rely on my neighbors showing me a good time. I even commissioned a special engraving to encourage peace. There is just one downside. Upon closer inspection, I have discovered that the site of my new Beach Fortress resembles a magical sneeze :-\  Sadly, my impression was all too prophetic. Within the first minute, my Dwarves had this report. Copper with a minor chance of silver, gemstones that will jack up my wealth like crazy (Bauxite contains both Sapphire & Ruby), and some form of vomit rain (effects unknown).

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #52984 on: November 25, 2018, 05:24:45 am »

Naming fort members after real people is always a fantastic idea in my opinion, especially once you get into making images to be engraved onto walls and used for action figures.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #52985 on: November 25, 2018, 09:27:57 am »

Naming fort members after real people is always a fantastic idea in my opinion, especially once you get into making images to be engraved onto walls and used for action figures.
Nice to see the development of Skyrim Fortress is going well

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52986 on: November 26, 2018, 05:45:51 am »

So lately I've made a point of never sealing off the fort with bridges. I also keep caverns open (I rely on locked doors and squads of soldiers guarding them). The result - second amazing(tm) fortress lost to a web-spitting FB (both times FB killed 2 squads of my well-trained, steel-clad, almost-all-legendary dwarves). I've never had to deal with FB much before (since I loved to turtle), but now they became real trouble. Are webbing FBs totally invincible? Should I train more archers?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52987 on: November 26, 2018, 06:03:23 am »

You should train more magma.

Upright spike repeaters work on FBs, right? But yeah, crossbowdwarves should be able to at least get a couple shots off before getting overwhelmed. Webbing is a nightmare for anything even remotely close to the beast. You're better off using "unorthodox" methods like cave-in/pit traps and other environmental dangers, or just sending a horde of fodder at it and hoping for a lucky strike.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #52988 on: November 26, 2018, 01:17:04 pm »

So lately I've made a point of never sealing off the fort with bridges. I also keep caverns open (I rely on locked doors and squads of soldiers guarding them). The result - second amazing(tm) fortress lost to a web-spitting FB (both times FB killed 2 squads of my well-trained, steel-clad, almost-all-legendary dwarves). I've never had to deal with FB much before (since I loved to turtle), but now they became real trouble. Are webbing FBs totally invincible? Should I train more archers?

Web-spitting creatures are notoriously strong, but they usually have some cooldown, so one possible way is to lure it into a place where you can attack it from both sides. Preferably with marksdwarves, initially, but, once it spits the webs, you can send some melee too - from the side which is not currently covered in webs.

Also, full steel will not do much against a forgottent beast, since most of its strikes probably ignore the armor (force transfer) due to the sheer size of the creature. A breastplate + helm + shield for defense may save some stamina.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:09:24 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52989 on: November 26, 2018, 02:13:52 pm »

Last night I had my first goblin siege of a fortress I had just created a couple of days ago.  My military is inexperienced but 20 strong and decked out in the best arms and armor we can forge.  That's right, head to toe in copper!  (I am hopeful to find some tin soon so that I can produce bronze in quantity.)  I've been importing as much iron and steel objects as I can to melt them and turn them into weapons.

The battle was waged on the shores of a river, during which no less than three goblins and two of my own slipped and fell into the water, succumbing to watery deaths.  Only one dwarf died in actual combat.  The loss of two to the river was made even more devastating by the fact that their squad was called "the Trekkies" and had its soldiers named after Star Trek actors.  Rest in peace, "Shatner" and "Dorn."  :(

The same river claimed the lives of two dwarves not long after embark, after they were attacked by carp, I believe.  They too dodged into watery graves.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:57:17 pm by OmahaMH »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #52990 on: November 26, 2018, 04:58:20 pm »

Decided to try and move an adventurer into a fortress. Unretired fortress, adventurer had died. Of thirst. Like, they were 5 squares away from the booze stockpile, couldn't they have helped themselves somewhere in those two weeks o_O

Also, apparantly my baron just went up and gone. And all the guests are standing around braindead, marked hostile, though, that is a known bug.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #52991 on: November 26, 2018, 07:07:19 pm »

Just liberated 50+ troglodites captured with traps. There was no way to invite them into my glorious fledging empire, but apparently I kept them caged so long they had babies and those babies had babies of their own.

Fly with your own wings, baby troglodites !

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52992 on: November 27, 2018, 03:07:45 am »

I was barely halfway through my second year in my most recent fort. Through sheer luck I struck adamantine super high up right next to a tetrahedrite vein I was mining out for training my weapon & armor smiths. Not too long afterwards, one of them gets possessed, and makes the second artifact in the fort's lifespan:

(here's the first artifact's worth for comparison)

Currently the axe singlehandedly makes up roughly 86% of the entire wealth ever generated by my fort and I have absolutely no skilled dwarves to use it. I'd put it on display in my tavern but that makes its worth count twice (probably a bug?) and I don't want to spike my wealth so much that I get invaders when my fort is so weak. So currently this godly artifact just sitting around in the weapon/armor stockpile in the barracks doing absolutely nothing.

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52993 on: November 27, 2018, 12:12:35 pm »

Dang.  I'm over here looking at the latest "artifact" my dwarves made. 

Kizab Rigςth Ozor Vildang, "Uselesscraft the Subtle Profanity", an arts-and-crafts project.
This is an arts-and-crafts project.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with glitter and encircled with bands of glue and stickers. This object menaces with spikes of crafting foam and self-adhesive plastic gemstones.
On the item is an image of a puppy in crayon.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52994 on: November 27, 2018, 04:32:03 pm »

Update: barely 5 months later and I get another artifact

This one is going to good use thankfully, I managed to get my mayor a royal bedroom/dining hall/throne room despite his entire living space being a tiny 3x3 room

Also somehow my wealth's skyrocketed up to over 4 million dwarfbucks despite barely being past the end of the second year. Here's hoping a bronze colossus doesn't come and smash my entire fort before I've even gotten started.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 04:34:17 pm by nimbus25 »
Pages: 1 ... 3531 3532 [3533] 3534 3535 ... 3839