Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3529 3530 [3531] 3532 3533 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965783 times)

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52950 on: November 12, 2018, 09:42:51 am »

I took a several year hiatus from Dwarf Fortress but I have been playing it a lot for the past few weeks.  I'm not particularly good, I've yet to get a good standing military or even do a ton of depth in several industries.  My latest attempts have been much more successful than my previous runs, though.  Last night I was up a bit later than I wanted to playing...

I'm on my third fortress since picking the game back up.  My previous two fortresses in a fairly nice world were ended after werebeast attacks left the population riddled with infected dwarfs.  I'd survive one attack and be in the process of putting things back together (including many dismembered corpses) when someone else would burst into were form and murderize the already shaken masses.  I did not understand how the were infection worked, so it was basically a black plague situation where an infection would break out and I would do absolutely nothing correctly to prevent it from happening again, then it would happen again.

My latest fortress, a bit cramped but doing very well industrially, has a system in place to prevent this.  If a werebeast attacks, once we fight it off, the survivors that were bitten will be ushered to a special treatment chamber to be cured of their curse by being smashed into pancakes by a drawbridge.  I hope that this will prevent were infection from gutting my fortress and actually allowing me to rebuild after attacks.  Full scale invasions, I've disabled, because like I said I'm not very good yet so I don't want to deal with those just yet.

My proudest achievement to date:  I have made soap!  As I said, my previous attempts to play the game were marred with a misunderstanding of multiple industries, so I could never manufacture something with as long of a production tail as soap.  Now I have over 20 bars of the stuff, which will be more than enough to get a hospital up and running.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:57:24 am by OmahaMH »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #52951 on: November 14, 2018, 04:13:09 pm »

My modded Fallen fortress is working out pretty nicely. Got attacked by a bunch of Highborne - captured a she-elf, and now she's a permanent fixture of my tavern.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52952 on: November 15, 2018, 11:15:32 am »

I was inspired by "Cheat Fortress" where I can just dfhack away in creating a fort to make whatever. 
So I was interested in just tiletypes-ing obsidian walls and floors 5z below the soil and up to z+10 above the surface. 

The square buildings got boring, so I used dig circle to make round towers blueprints, then creating walls and floors. 

Some entrances and trees needed to be chopped, so used fast dwarf 1 1 to do them. 

Got more involved and concerned about map edges, and thinking city walls and roads.  Spend days looking at castle designs online. 

About a week in this thing, I spent a couple hours connecting the buildings, and fine-tuning the details of the city walls--then DF crashed. 

My save when loaded eventually crashes somewhere. 

Oh well, it was a fun project.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52953 on: November 15, 2018, 01:34:58 pm »

I was inspired by "Cheat Fortress" where I can just dfhack away in creating a fort to make whatever. 
So I was interested in just tiletypes-ing obsidian walls and floors 5z below the soil and up to z+10 above the surface. 

The square buildings got boring, so I used dig circle to make round towers blueprints, then creating walls and floors. 

Some entrances and trees needed to be chopped, so used fast dwarf 1 1 to do them. 

Got more involved and concerned about map edges, and thinking city walls and roads.  Spend days looking at castle designs online. 

About a week in this thing, I spent a couple hours connecting the buildings, and fine-tuning the details of the city walls--then DF crashed. 

My save when loaded eventually crashes somewhere. 

Oh well, it was a fun project.
I look for great defensive designs from european antique to the medieval ages and it's so fascinating, but many of the designs are useless in DF, but i use them for Minecraft aswell and in Stronghold Crusader.
it's a shame though that DF needs its own designs and building aboveground forts is mostly futile.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #52954 on: November 15, 2018, 03:06:53 pm »

A Dwarf tantrumed, vandalised something with enough witnesses, so got sent to jail.

Of course, while tantruming, also got hurt.

So, right now, he's being dragged back and forth because the guard brings him to the jail, but before they get there, the chief medical dwarf steals him away to bring him to the hospital, which means that the guards run after the chief medical dwarf to steal away the guy so he can be brought to jail... It is a little funny.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52955 on: November 15, 2018, 08:29:12 pm »

A Dwarf tantrumed, vandalised something with enough witnesses, so got sent to jail.

So, right now, he's being dragged back and forth because the guard brings him to the jail, but before they get there, the chief medical dwarf steals him away to bring him to the hospital, which means that the guards run after the chief medical dwarf to steal away the guy so he can be brought to jail... It is a little funny.

This sounds like a just punishment. 
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52956 on: November 16, 2018, 05:10:26 pm »

My war animals, and baby untrained war animals, have been killing each other every time they get into a fight with a invader or other hostile.

On the flipside, ive successfully raided three hamlets controlled by the goblins, hill dwarf sites are springing up around my fort like daisies, and the goblins that invaded last time got turned into pincushions by my marksdwarves until they ran off.

Biggest complaint is how its almost impossible to get the squads i send on raids to actually get their asses off the map. They get distracted by capybaras, decide to go take a nap, or eat, or visit the tavern, or rearrange their equipment every ten seconds. It takes weeks, sometimes a month, to actually get the last of them off the map to join the raid.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52957 on: November 18, 2018, 03:16:09 am »

Generated a world where elves and goblins (probably in some kind of unholy alliance) destroyed dwarven civilization and brought humans to the brink of extinction (they only have couple of towns left). So I started a fortress to rebuild our civ and bring justice to pointy-ear bastards. Apparently, humans are eager for revenge, since they are lining up to join my military. Right now I've got three squads consisting mostly of human soldiers. Payback is coming and it's gonna be sweet. 

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #52958 on: November 20, 2018, 10:48:38 am »

Militia captain threw a tantrum and punched a woodworker. A lawdwarf found him in the tavern and delivered punishment:

She broke his ankle, but he's been fixed up with no lasting damage.

Mind you, this guy's a real jerk. He's the only stressed dwarf out of ~100 in a prospering fort, because he takes everything so seriously and doesn't let go of grievances. Gets caught in the rain - feels dejected. Can't make crafts - feels self-pity. Isn't wearing shoes (there are many shoes, btw) - feels ashamed. Gets beaten up - feels loathing. And the best one: gets "rescued" and is able to rest and recuperate after his injury - feels guilty. I need to find something to do with him, cause I don't think at this point I'll be able to de-stress him. Send him on raids and hope he dies gloriously, I guess.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52959 on: November 20, 2018, 10:55:37 am »

Started my first desert fortress.
Trying to figure out just what to do with the multiple woodcutters in the first migrant wave because, seriously, there's about one cactus a piece for them across my entire territory.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52960 on: November 20, 2018, 11:51:23 am »

That's why I like walls with doors on all workshops and bedrooms. Odds are, I can catch a tantruming dwarf and lock them in their room. No need for arrest or medical help (unless you count corpse hauling after they starve). I don't think I've really built jails since nobles quit demanding impossible things. Usually only one dwarf gets their brains splattered on the walls while resisting arrest, and only when I forget and allow a fortress guard.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52961 on: November 20, 2018, 12:20:27 pm »

So my dwarven-human assault on treacherous elves is going well. However, since there is too many of them, I decided not to obliterate their civ, but rather steal and burn all their books. Why kill them if I can destroy their culture and identity? I'll beat those pricks right back into stone age. Then as an adventurer I will assassinate all their philosophers and writers. And then anyone who ever wronged any of my dwarves. And then piss on their bodies alright I am getting a little too far here

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52962 on: November 20, 2018, 01:42:38 pm »

with a little bit of luck, you might get hist-fig assassination before the big wait :) i certainly hope for it.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52963 on: November 20, 2018, 03:25:03 pm »

Mind you, this guy's a real jerk. He's the only stressed dwarf out of ~100 in a prospering fort, because he takes everything so seriously and doesn't let go of grievances. Gets caught in the rain - feels dejected. Can't make crafts - feels self-pity. Isn't wearing shoes (there are many shoes, btw) - feels ashamed. Gets beaten up - feels loathing. And the best one: gets "rescued" and is able to rest and recuperate after his injury - feels guilty. I need to find something to do with him, cause I don't think at this point I'll be able to de-stress him. Send him on raids and hope he dies gloriously, I guess.
Sounds like you're in a prime position to start a Dwarven Mental Health Center and Psychiatric Care Facility. He's clearly a very troubled individual.

Considering most things with the "Dwarven" prefix though, it probably involves magma.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52964 on: November 22, 2018, 07:43:40 am »

Sad fate of Olon the Scholar.

About a year and half earlier, a human decided to visit my fortress. After a few steps he changed his plan and form to that of a weresheep. It passed the gates before they were closed, so I ordered a squad to take care of it. Ultimately only one soldier was interested in handling the foe, the rest of them took position that one is more than enough. The beast was near entrance when a civilian engaged it, a naturalised elf dancer. Before my soldier arrived, the civilian was cruelly dismembered and strangled. My soldier, formally a wrestler, but really a very pissed miner, pursued the sheep, and was exchanging blows, blocking or dodging his way, and hacking the monster to pieces. Slowly. When the beast was near death one dwarf scholar named Olon decided to help, gods know why. And he ultimately stole the kill, by punching it right before it bled to death. I wasn't happy, my soldier probably too. Of course, the scholar was bit by the weresheep, but shortly after the incident he decided to leave the premises. I took a note of him, expecting to hear more in the future.

This came 15 months later, when the werebeast showed up. It was a weresheep, so seemed familiar - it was indeed Olon the Scholar. He was too close to the gates to be closed in time I thought but I didn't even try, knowing that the dog will occupy it for a while, and ordered a squad to attack. Again, they were too blasé for pack hunting and designated only one representative. This time it was a legendary mace lord with a bronze morningstar who caught the beast still near the gate (actually beyond) because it decided to pursue some human visitor, so I could just really close it if I wanted. Also, the fight was much shorter. Two or three from the morningstar shots maybe? The werebeast was able to kill the pursued human before that, so I can't say it was completely victim-less victory.

I have checked if Olon had other kills in the meantime. No, he had only two to his account - the human bard now, and the same weresheep monster who gave him the curse to begin with, 15 months before. Kind of ironic, but that's how these curses work. Now, if I could ask him one question it would be "Was it worth it"? I mean the kill steal incident. It probably gave him a short lived fame, but was it really worth it?

On a side note, I made an archive save for some tests and repeats when the test come, and concluded that the silver vulnerability of this beast means not much - legendary silver warhammer was just scratching it, and it would be hard to say that it was supposedly 20x stronger than blows from other weapons.
Pages: 1 ... 3529 3530 [3531] 3532 3533 ... 3838