Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3528 3529 [3530] 3531 3532 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5962285 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52935 on: November 02, 2018, 01:48:12 pm »

Yes I sent my militia to deal with him and he went unconscious on a cage trap. Thoughts on the captured thief?
chain him at one of the entrances as bait for big enemies.
Chain him up as a kobold early-warning critter! It takes a thief...

AudiRgr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52936 on: November 04, 2018, 04:33:19 am »

I've put him into a small colosseum alongside the reanimated corpse of a naked mole dog, let's see if he survives...

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52937 on: November 04, 2018, 05:42:44 am »

Then a drow caravan appeared. I was tinkering with raws to fix my fort not getting nobles, so I couldn't wait for the liaison to arrive. Except she never showed up and I still have no idea if my fixes worked. My civ is now officially struggling and I must attract the queen before the capital falls.

Oh hey, drows ! which mod is it you're using for them ? I've been using my own tweaks of Rhenaya's drow mod, and am also not getting the fortress upgraded to a barony, so I am curious as to why not. I suspect something has changed.

One time the liason didn't arrive with my caravan, but then the next year they did, so... curious.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52938 on: November 04, 2018, 05:43:37 am »

I've put him into a small colosseum alongside the reanimated corpse of a naked mole dog, let's see if he survives...
wouldn't watching him fight disturb the dorfs and send them all to gagaland?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

AudiRgr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52939 on: November 04, 2018, 06:55:22 am »

I've been using my own tweaks of Rhenaya's drow mod, and am also not getting the fortress upgraded to a barony, so I am curious as to why not. I suspect something has changed.

In order to get a nobles it now depends on how many holdings you have. Baron is 1, Duke is 4 I think and Count is 9. You can get holdings by either waiting until dwarves build a hillocks nearby and pledge their service or conquering neighbouring villages/pits.

wouldn't watching him fight disturb the dorfs and send them all to gagaland?

I think unfortunately I'll be the only one able to watch the fight as dwarves tend to get a bit wild.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52940 on: November 04, 2018, 09:47:55 am »

Then a drow caravan appeared. I was tinkering with raws to fix my fort not getting nobles, so I couldn't wait for the liaison to arrive. Except she never showed up and I still have no idea if my fixes worked. My civ is now officially struggling and I must attract the queen before the capital falls.

Oh hey, drows ! which mod is it you're using for them ? I've been using my own tweaks of Rhenaya's drow mod, and am also not getting the fortress upgraded to a barony, so I am curious as to why not. I suspect something has changed.

One time the liason didn't arrive with my caravan, but then the next year they did, so... curious.
Do you have a holding paying you tribute?

I was mystified why my hge fort with hundreds of dwarves was not getting a Baron, and then I checked the Wiki. To get a Baron you need a holding pledged to you, Counts require 4 and Dukes 9. I sent several expeditions to conquer a nearby Goblin holding, but it never worked, and then FPS death hit, so I didn't get Baroned. Next time I'll play with a pop-cap of 20, remove it when I'm damn god and ready, and then start sending the immigrants/gobbo fodder off to their doom!

Apparently you can also get a title if some dwarves randomly build a hillock near you and pledge allegiance. But I can find no info on how to make that more likely.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #52941 on: November 04, 2018, 04:55:30 pm »

Okay, so I have had the last two forts more or less die not of fps death but more a weird sort of too-many-invaders-death. Like, one season I get goblin invasion, the next elves, then a forgotten beast, then a werebeast, then gobbos again, another titan, another elven attack... Like, I don't even get a season to just clean up and let my dwarves relax for a bit. And of course with the state stress is in, everything is endless tantrum spirals.

I was just trying to figure out how to make use of mine carts, christ. (Also, werebeasts and titans don't count as invaders, and I am not sure ambushers do either, so turning off the invasions only takes care of yearly invasions)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #52942 on: November 04, 2018, 05:40:11 pm »

You can always turtle, you know. Seal yourself off from the outside world (above and below ground). If you can wall off the caverns near the edge then you can even have renewable wood.

A less drastic option is to airlock yourself so that caravans/migrants/woodcutters can leave and enter without endangering the fortress. The downside is that the woodcutters will probably go insane from the number of visitor/caravan/migrant corpses strewn around the outside of your fortress after a few years.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #52943 on: November 04, 2018, 05:57:50 pm »

You can always turtle, you know. Seal yourself off from the outside world (above and below ground). If you can wall off the caverns near the edge then you can even have renewable wood.

A less drastic option is to airlock yourself so that caravans/migrants/woodcutters can leave and enter without endangering the fortress. The downside is that the woodcutters will probably go insane from the number of visitor/caravan/migrant corpses strewn around the outside of your fortress after a few years.
I tried the second, but one of the titans was a flying webspewing three eyed goat that flew into a hole and killed 3/4th of my current fort. Now my fort is getting murdered by elven ambushers while I was trying to let migrants in because all my exisiting dwarves were either children or going berserk or both.

EDIT: a 100 piece big elven ambush... not an invasion.

EDIT: The reason this is not !fun! is that it is an extremely slow death and I am just waiting and waiting and waiting and unpausing and waiting.

EDIT3: Fun tidbit, if goblins are just attacking because the wealth thing is being triggered, the cause of the war is 'are debated by scholars and very little is truly known'. Seems these guys went to town on all the other fortresses in my civ as well, but of course my outpost liason only tells me the last fortress they attacked, so couldn't see a pattern outside of legends mode.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 07:12:54 pm by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #52944 on: November 04, 2018, 07:35:38 pm »

Disabling invaders in d_init.txt does not prevent werebeasts and titans? I can say with certainity that it did back in 44.09 - having [INVADERS:NO] prevented any and all uninvited guests; the only thing I did not test it with is "declaring wars" through raiding, but that is a different matter. If beasts just keep coming in spite of this setting, that might be worth a bug report.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 07:37:27 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #52945 on: November 08, 2018, 10:27:50 am »

Disabling invaders in d_init.txt does not prevent werebeasts and titans? I can say with certainity that it did back in 44.09 - having [INVADERS:NO] prevented any and all uninvited guests; the only thing I did not test it with is "declaring wars" through raiding, but that is a different matter. If beasts just keep coming in spite of this setting, that might be worth a bug report.

I had forgotten beasts and semi megabeasts ignore it in previous versions, though this was a while back. I turned it on for now, because the other issue I am getting is that I get too many migrants and the wealth is going up really fast due hunter migrants coming in with 30 steel bolts worth 30* each :|

Bit of a tip to people having issues with early werebeasts: Wardogs and big grazers. Stick them to your entrance. The idea is not that they beat the werebeast, it is that they distract and delay it until you can wall-up or until full moon is over.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52946 on: November 08, 2018, 12:14:01 pm »

I had forgotten beasts and semi megabeasts ignore it in previous versions, though this was a while back. I turned it on for now, because the other issue I am getting is that I get too many migrants and the wealth is going up really fast due hunter migrants coming in with 30 steel bolts worth 30* each :|

Bit of a tip to people having issues with early werebeasts: Wardogs and big grazers. Stick them to your entrance. The idea is not that they beat the werebeast, it is that they distract and delay it until you can wall-up or until full moon is over.
works great and even better if you put them in many pastures around the entrance, so the werebeast has to walk longer to get them all.
although this can be quite nasty too as you suddenly have lots of dead animals around which can't be butchered.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #52947 on: November 09, 2018, 08:26:20 am »

Odd. Maybe it's because I was starting forts with disabled invaders instead of turning them off midgame. Gonna play around with this setting in my next fort and see what's up.
Btw, limiting population is very handy too. Even in safe conditions, it's hard to keep up the fort's infrastructure with the influx of migrants. I usually start out with 20-30 and then go up from there, as soon as I have enough bedrooms and space prepared.
Also, an all-ranged military can be a good choice in the current version, as it lowers the amount of corpses and bodyparts on the battlefield. They can be a pain in the butt to set up, though.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52948 on: November 10, 2018, 10:15:48 pm »

Donezo. Will advise if anything neato happens.

Other news: Anyone interested in a 100% flat embark with an exposed lava tube? Same worldgen I'm playing in now, and I was under the impression these were nigh-impossible to get these days. I altered the world-gen to create as many cliffs as possible (There are some neat terrain spots scattered about as a result). It necessitates an "ignore all exceptions" gen, but it has no problem placing civs. Has shallow/deep metals, flux, soil.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I've tried this particular code twice and gotten two different maps. Neither of them match your map.

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52949 on: November 12, 2018, 09:34:08 am »

Is it because werebeasts are just everyday folks who turn into monsters during full moons?  A werebeast showing up could be a mercenary who was just on his way to your fort when a full moon happened to hit, rather than a categorized invasion.
Pages: 1 ... 3528 3529 [3530] 3531 3532 ... 3838