Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1673 1674 [1675] 1676 1677 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5962202 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25110 on: August 25, 2012, 01:35:35 am »

Cryptdagger carrying out industrial expansion plans while awaiting the annual winter goblin siege.  The 3rd level of the Keep was roofed in and the archery ports and fortifications prepared.  The north end has the new Iron Tower that soars another 6 levels and tops out in a nice observation deck with clear glass windows.  Not many furnishings yet, but it will probably be an additional statue hall at some point.  Construction projects have shifted inward with work starting on another residence block and royal quarters since the next group of migrants will make the city eligible to get Mountainhome status.  (Pop cap being raised to get this to happen.)

Various moody dwarves are adding to the fortress' artifact collection.  A nice millstone was mounted in a passageway for all to see.  A bone short sword made by a child was mounted in a artifact mechanism to make a weapon trap in the main dining room.  A adamantine gauntlet was put aside in case we ever end up with a one-handed fighter (at least the fort got a legendary armorsmith from this.)  And the best marksdwarf in the garrison is going to be rewarded by getting to use an artifact adamantine crossbow.  (Just have to avoid melee!  Or make them the resident hammerer as well.)

Very little goblin activity so far this year - a couple of thieves flew through - propelled by traps after being rended to bits.  One ambush party entered the tunnel and got shredded as well; including a very nice one-shot head kill by a crossbow trap.  A winter siege is expected though - and the railgun now has twin that can fire into a section of the northern part of the Outer Keep.  (Two accelerators that share a common "magazine" of loaded mine carts.  A lever can be used to select which railgun gets a pushed cart.  Current magazine is four carts, put weapon forging is working on the load out for a fifth.)

Forgotten Beasts have been showing up.  Now have two in the upper cavern swimming/flying about the underground lake.  A fire-shooting lizard surfaced on the "island" where goblin prisoners have been stranded, stomped through and incinerated everything,  hopped up and down a bit on the ashes, and then went back into the lake.  The other is some sort of winged slug.  A dust emitting lizard in the lower cavern was lured into the spike complex, trapped in a cell, and... spiked.  A well-clothed work crew will be sent down to dispose of the body and then showered off for decontamination purposes.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25111 on: August 25, 2012, 02:00:06 am »

One of my dwarves came up with a fairly well done artifact sword made of goat bone.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #25112 on: August 25, 2012, 02:06:11 am »

One of my dwarves came up with a fairly well done artifact sword made of goat bone.

At ;east it's not the rubber tire chainsaw blade I got in corrosion that one time >.>

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25113 on: August 25, 2012, 02:26:24 am »

At ;east it's not the rubber tire chainsaw blade I got in corrosion that one time >.>
Rubber tire?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25114 on: August 25, 2012, 03:05:50 am »

Sounds like the corrosion mod for DF.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25115 on: August 25, 2012, 08:26:22 am »

RabbitHut, the Creepy Murky Shelter
First Previous Next

Journal of Kotonoa, 28th Slate, yr.451
We butchered the yaks, and Minami was really good at hauling all the meat in one barrel. But, the Yaks are still moving in the butcher rooms... This is really messed up. The clouds of green murk keep passing by, the creepy rain keeps blowing, and now the dead cattle are moving (well, the dead ones inside our fort). Is this place really out to kill us? Is the search for MeltedPants really worth all this?

Spoiler: The Horror (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 06:46:34 pm by ZzarkLinux »

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25116 on: August 25, 2012, 11:25:32 am »

Started a new fort yesterday. Best mood luck ever. All fey.

Soon as I get magma up top, I'll start up my steel industry and put these guys to work.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #25117 on: August 25, 2012, 11:35:20 am »

I think my mayor is a vampire.

So after making some bucket related mandates, I decided to check on the mayor to see what else he liked, when I was met with this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
WALL OF BLUE TEXT

Also, he's missing a toe.

When his room is finish his room I am locking him in it, but not sealing, as that will become the mayoral room for generations to come. During his rule I shall construct a tomb to seal him in, to become a backup book keeper in case the current one dies.

EDIT: Holy Guacamole! A human carvan just arrived! This is the first time in three years they have come! So the reason nothing is coming IS because I am in the middle of nowhere!

I AM WAITING FOR YOU, GOBLINS!

UPDATE: I can't open this file anymore. What happened is my plug in keyboard (Since some of the keys on the built in keyboard don't work.) turned off and I couldn't get it to turn back on. I decided I would need to restart the computer. So using the mouse and arrow keys on the built in key board, I managed to work my way back to the main menu, but I ran into a problem, the exit only worked with the enter key. The enter key doesn't work on the built in keyboard. So I decide to restart the computer from there. Now when ever I try to load up the file I get a, "Dwarf Fortress.exe has stopped working." message.

Help?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 02:50:02 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25118 on: August 25, 2012, 04:11:55 pm »

In the future, I would reccomend that you use the on-screen keyboard, which is in accessibility options, if that happens.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25119 on: August 25, 2012, 04:36:28 pm »

Tangathurist (Trampleddagger) might've met it's demise.

Because of some unseen bug.

Basically, at 12th Moonstone, year 152, the game spawns centaur caravan (playing my mod for 40d). After the second merchant gets onto the map, the game freeezes and then I get the windows pop-up about 'illegal operation, closing the program!' thing. Maybe some spawned item got borked but, twice in a row seems unlikely.

I like this fort dammit :I
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25120 on: August 25, 2012, 06:45:49 pm »

RabbitHut, the Creepy Murky Shelter
First Previous Next

Journal of Kotonoa, 28th Felsite, yr.451
Felsite went by fast. Mosquitos, eagles, wombats, clouds are still trying to kill us. One cloud almost jumped on Minami when we were walling-up the pasture. Miyuki breached the caverns in a good spot, so I started a basic farm plot. I saw a blind cave bear - it wasn't a zombie. If it's looking for food, then this dead cavern isn't a place to find any.

Spoiler: Attempted Spawn-Kill (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Eerie Cavern (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:45:02 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #25121 on: August 25, 2012, 06:56:35 pm »

Welp, I've given up on salvaging my fort that I really like from data land.

In the mean time I'm dicking around in advanced parameters for genning worlds.

over 4000 reject worlds.

The generator must hate me.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25122 on: August 25, 2012, 08:29:21 pm »

11 undead boars appeared on the spidery forests.

Right next to Urist Uvash, a legendary marksdwarf in the fort. Uvash ran up to the boars and started shooting them point blank in the face, every shot hitting right on target before the boars could swarm him.

The clean up Dwarves arrived to take the corpses away before they reanimated, as a silent Uvash broods in the background with a loaded crossbow. Both of those Dwarves in the screen cap are hauling a boar corpse.

All is well, but it's getting increasingly difficult building the outside walls, just the day before a woodcutter was attacked by a zombie weasel. Needless to say, the woodcutter won.

By the way, what stones are the cavern layers made up of again? I've gone through limestone, marble, chert and have now reached slate, still no caverns.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #25123 on: August 25, 2012, 08:45:58 pm »

Cavern layers can been any type of stone, I believe.

Just use Dwarven Radar to find them.

Or dig some more.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25124 on: August 25, 2012, 08:47:26 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 1673 1674 [1675] 1676 1677 ... 3838