Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1671 1672 [1673] 1674 1675 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5962184 times)

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25080 on: August 23, 2012, 01:22:46 pm »

Reclaim efforts are failing horribly. There's barely enough time to get the dwarves equipped before they're set upon by the previous band of misfits. Worse, I think that each reclaim attempt is adding to the numbers of cursed/undead dwarves in the area, as each failed attempt is showing 7 more offloaded units than the last. No reclaim attempt has lasted more than a minute real-time, and I've reclaimed six or seven times now.

So, evil biomes are dangerous. I had no idea they could be so dangerous. I'm not sure I'll be able to reclaim this place. This is nuts.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25081 on: August 23, 2012, 04:23:53 pm »

A coyote woman I'd imported for the grand army gave birth to triplets. I just checked them out. They've got pretty high social skills for being an hour or so old...

Maybe coyote men are naturally gifted little tricksters. I blame the elves. Again.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25082 on: August 23, 2012, 05:19:03 pm »

Nothing...

Seriously, nothing at all.  I loaded the fort when I got home from work and decided to do maybe 15 minutes of Forum Mode first.  But of course some asshat has a tvtropes link in his sig and FortMode has been sitting paused for almost 3 hours while I trawl that mess of awesome.

I like to kid myself that im back now, but in reality I still have a tab open...and i'll be switching back there right now!  Thankyou very much whoever it was that was responsible for sending me there.  You are to blame for the lack of progress in my fort, and probably proud of it to boot.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25083 on: August 23, 2012, 05:47:23 pm »

There's a peregrine falcon in my kitchens, which are as of this moment the furthest part of the fortress from the main entrance. D:<

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25084 on: August 23, 2012, 10:22:08 pm »

RabbitHut, the Creepy Murky Shelter
First Previous Next

Journal of Kotonoa, 17th Slate, yr.451
We've been working so much that we've all taken a spring break for good sleep and good eats. It's been rough, when we travel one direction, the evil cloud descends. When we go the other way, that mosquito corpse passes by. It's been exhausting, but the animals can't wait any longer. We'll lead the rabbits out to grass, and hopefully toss an enclosure around them. We break dawn tomorrow.

Spoiler: Finished Halls (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Western Field (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:56:12 pm by ZzarkLinux »

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25085 on: August 23, 2012, 10:25:21 pm »

So, I just recently found out about this game, been doing a lot of reading up on it trying to figure it out and today I started work on a fotress I had been planning in my head.

I spent a good part of two years digging and planning it out, had all the workshops and stockpiles, the bed rooms and noble rooms, a huge smoothed out dining hall which they all thought was legendary.

Until this point I had been getting all my food through fishing and meat, and trading for booze..I didn't want an above ground farm as I was sealing myself off with just an airlock for trading, and I didn't want to deal with flooding to get an underground one running for fear of flooding untill I had all the basics carved out.

Well it turns out my fears were valid...I got my farm flooded and drained and that was up and running. I decided I was gunna shut off the water coming in my water pipe from the river so I could put in another line leading to a reservoir I was going to use for my well...but I pulled the wrong lever and opened up the river to my fortress.

Being sealed off you can imagine this would be quite bad..looking around to try and save what I could I thought my best option would be to seal off the farm/dining/food stockpile level.

I had my dwarfs quickly floodgate off the stairs, trapping them on this level. 5 dwarfs left, 2 miners, 1 farmer, My chief medical dwarf, and my expediton leader...the leader has a grudge against the CMD and the farmer..oh and there was a war dog and 2 puppies on the level but they were quickly killed for food.

We have a good stockpile of meat and booze, and the farms are growing plump helmets now, with some pigs tail seeds in reserve..but we have no wood on this level, or beds..I don't think they'll enjoy that too much after the nice rooms they just lost.

I hope they can survive down there though, it was fun saving them.
Sounds you had tons of the game's trademark brand of !!FUN!!

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #25086 on: August 23, 2012, 11:26:34 pm »

I finally got around to walling in the roadway to the trade depot, so after 25 years the stupid traders are finally forced to use the road instead of laborrously winding their way through the, often goblin infested, forest.

i've also built several honeypot traps using penned animals to lure enemies to their doom. I used to chain useless animals like foxes as the bait. But my Giant Dingo breeding program has gone well and I have extra, so they serve as bait now. Any goblins that get through the traps stand a decent chance of being chewed to death by a dog the size of a grizzly bear.

Fort Surface
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The other project lately completed is a dump shaft that goes from inside the walls allmost down to the magma sea. This is to make funneling goblinite to the magma fueled industrial area I'm planning easier.

The shaft also points at other levels so falling goods can be stopped there if needed.

Here's one of them. A door airlock, containing a drawbridge and a heavy duty weapon trap provide security, and keep out stupid dwarves while items are hitting the hatch.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25087 on: August 24, 2012, 01:22:43 am »

...aaaand it's another crumbled fort in record time, this time from forgetting the fact that winter+No Booze=dehydration.  :-[
Genning a new world now, the current one is running out of interesting places to embark.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25088 on: August 24, 2012, 01:31:43 am »

The 11th year at Cryptdagger is coming to an end. 

Back-to-back goblin sieges in autumn and winter.  Both repelled with hea, sword, spear, hammer, and mace) from my trap tunnel.  An axe lord wounded their squad leader early and things then went downhill for the goblins rapidly.  Their mounts were helping a lot with constant charges that would knock dwarves over.  Then an axe lord got peeved and just started executing mounts left and right.  Killed three in three attacks, including simply kicking a giant olm in the head for one of them.  Meanwhile, the rest of the fighters were just hacking and smashing everything else.  The other goblin squads in the siege were busy at the time throwing themselves into weapon traps and being shot by markdwarves positioned behind fortifications.  A show-off elite goblin who was good at dodging and blocking got to stop a mine cart "railgun" shot - hard to block and dodge after all four lower limbs are removed.

The fort's industries are humming along.  Steel production (goblinite based) is having issues with flux stone as most of the easily accessed dolomite has been mined out.  Plenty on hand for just about any immediate purpose though.  Cloth and gems are going into decoration work right now, which is helping increase value of trade goods.  The mason are busy roofing a new level on the Keep which is pretty much dedicated to marksdwarf positions for shooting down annoying goblins on flying mounts.

And one of the older pastures has been turned over to reptile breeding.  Both genders of three species have been acquired and we are investigating the possibility of making life more difficult for the kobold thieves by installing a snake pit and/or snakes along entry paths.

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25089 on: August 24, 2012, 01:49:49 am »

I'm trying to cope with a constant influx of migrants. Fortunately my plump helmet crop passed the point of "not enough to loose spawn by cooking", and I have a vast quantity of fisherdwarves, so I should be okay.

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25090 on: August 24, 2012, 03:46:04 am »

Code: [Select]
The Guard twists the embedded (-black-cap crutch-) around in The Kobold Thief's head!
How do you even

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25091 on: August 24, 2012, 03:48:12 am »

Code: [Select]
The Guard twists the embedded (-black-cap crutch-) around in The Kobold Thief's head!
How do you even

The same way a soldier or hero can somehow stab someone in the eyelid with a spear and twist it around.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25092 on: August 24, 2012, 06:04:15 am »

Currently on year TWO of the unicorn wars.

They have felled nearly seven of my dwarves, including "Meph", my ub3r-hammerdorf.

And they still come, followed by goblin thieves and illithid snatchers.

(Using Masterwork mod, btw. But who knew unicorns are so fucking violent?)
I need to put something interesting here.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25093 on: August 24, 2012, 06:47:40 am »

Unicorns are evil little monsters that take great joy in maiming civilian and huntsman alike who deserve only enslavment and being processed by dwarves.

Anyway, decided to download DFHack (for finding the caverns) and a vanilla copy of DF(except for aquifers, I fucking hate aquifers) I have struck a great place. There's a lovely brook based waterfall, marble, all three iron ores, coals and gypsum, and if I so choose I can lay traps to capture giant animals, since I'm in a savage area (according to my pregame start screen yetis may rarely prowl this land as well.) I honestly think I hit paydirt, as i also, while seeing how far down the caverns are, saw galena, tetrahedrite, gold (I found that by mistake while digging a stairwell actually) native silver and a few lonely either platinum or aluminum, since I didn't bother to look. It also appears there may be a few large herds of elkbirds just waiting to be domesticated (I planned on getting rid of grazers and forgot.

Migrants came, heralding a caravan soon, and me with nothing to trade yet. A bonecarver in the group rrived in time to be taken by a fey mood whilst dodging sparrow people, so if nothing else I can hopefully supply him with what he demands and trade some decent bone goods.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25094 on: August 24, 2012, 11:27:44 am »

using what I've learned in a previous fort, adn a clean un-modified copy of DF, I've started a fort called Urnprophet. It's a nice little place right next the a source of a brook.

Right now we're drinking nothing but water, and eating nothing but biscuits made from butchered animals - mostly hunted white storks and ducks from a migrant hunter. Good thing they showed up too, because hammerdwarves suck at hunting flying animals.

I found it's more economical to start off with copper war hammers than any other weapon, thus we have more war hammerers than anything else by far. The first trade caravan just arrived, and we just bought two more copper warhammers, boosting us up to 12. We also bought some leather and a bit of silk cloth. Our biggest export? clothing that the migrants used to be wearing before i put them in a leather-only military. It's quite valuable.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...
Pages: 1 ... 1671 1672 [1673] 1674 1675 ... 3838