Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1674 1675 [1676] 1677 1678 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5962252 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25125 on: August 25, 2012, 08:56:34 pm »

Wha? It worked when I last tried in in my fort. (Before it borked.)

I was using 34.11

Where ever you are looking must completely bypass the caverns.

Or maybe there is no mud?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25126 on: August 25, 2012, 10:08:01 pm »

Or maybe there is no mud?
If that's the case, I'll just have to stick with digging a really big hole.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25127 on: August 25, 2012, 10:14:19 pm »

New fort, new biome set. Rocky wasteland, desert, all savage. Giant desert scorpions possible, yay. Aquifer, also yay, especially since I want to (finally) get a magma doorstop functional. Heres hoping I'm finally able to get everything functional!

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25128 on: August 25, 2012, 10:27:53 pm »

Setting up yet another attempt at a partially-haunted biome. This one has a relatively thin layer of haunted mountain across the north that apparently lacks corpse reanimation but does have the eternally dreaded dust every so often.

So far I've carved out the massive hospital/barracks and the central dining hall. I also set a horse in the haunted section to test the dust, with two skilled axedwarves to confront it if it doesn't turn out to retain a coating. If it does I'm probably screwed.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25129 on: August 25, 2012, 10:56:45 pm »

Embarked upon a modbold rebel encampment by mistake, so if I really want to I can capture thier livestock (a few dogs, geese and such that I guess feed this cave encampment) I am wary of the alligator living in the river, as I didn't bring raw stone to throw up domestication specimen traps (basically cage traps thrown up around the animal to try and catch the damned thing for taming.) On the plus side, I'll have a heads up otherwise as anything coming out of the caverns will have to fight the modbolds first.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25130 on: August 26, 2012, 04:05:39 am »

Another day, another siege. Oh well, just two squads, this is gonna be e...
> Thikūt, Giant bat
FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU...  ::)

Giant bat uses Broken Pathing! It is super effective!

Sus uses Feint! It has no effect.
Leeroy McJenkins has got his whole squad killed! x3

Abandon game? [y]
Your strength has been broken.

So yeah. Instead of marching nicely into my beautiful battlement-slash-death-trap (now with more cowbell ballistae), the entire siege just sort of hanged out out there, because that goddamn bat just wouldn't budge.
I tried to send a meleedorf squad to feint the foot soldiers to chase them back to the fort, but because the squad combat "AI" is even worse than the fliers' pathing, they either did a one at a time lemming march straight to the middle of the enemy group or (upon deactivating the squad in hopes that they would flee towards the fort) ran around like headless chickens and got torn to ribbons for their trouble.

Additional ‼Fun‼ resulted from the fact that I was in the process of filling my cistern when the siege hit. Cue many moist and patently unhappy dorfs at a flooded dining hall. Regardless, one of them managed to dehydrate to death in there. Kind of emblematic of dwarven "intelligence" if you ask me...  ::)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:07:33 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25131 on: August 26, 2012, 06:52:16 am »

So, with Trampleddagger being unsalvageable thanks to the caravan crash, I've made another fortress.

On freezing mountain. Without visible water sources. With a pick and bag of plump helmet spawns.

RNG named it 'Catjewels'.

SO BE IT!

STRIKE THE EARTH!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 07:01:46 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25132 on: August 26, 2012, 09:43:54 am »

Setting up a new fort, trying out a new starting policy of taking a steel bar with me, and then using expert dwarven metalworking to obtain more steel.

Everything starts out as expected, and the dwarves manage to get about half of the outer walls up, whilst our armourer has been steadily producing steel for us, and even managed a masterwork item.

Then suddenly Giant Kea. Everywhere. Dwarves, livestock, and blood everywhere, a quick stock count after the attacks reveals the masterwork leggings have vanished, our armourer looks dangerously miserable, and unless I'm very much mistaken the only Giant Kea remaining in the immediate area is currently strangling my militia commander.

So, about average for the first summer.

(edit) Brief update; after two weeks of 'The Giant Kea strangles the Hammerdwarf! x 9001' I get fed up and put most of the remaining dwarves - the armourer has now gone melancholy - into a squad of no-uniform attack dwarves. One Giant Kea is slain, the other (strangling my other militia dwarf) is driven off.

More disturbingly, my civilisation screen shows contact with a kobold civ. No reports indicate anything being stolen by kobolds and no kobolds have been spotted. Hmm... giant kea is represented by a letter K and they like stealing stuff... wait a minute, are kobolds evolving the power of flight?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 09:58:04 am by Calech »

Supersheepman

• Bay Watcher
  • Because ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25133 on: August 26, 2012, 10:19:01 am »

-Goblin Siege arrives
-Human Caravan arrives
-Humans beaten into tiny pieces
-Goblins defeated with the loss of exactly one dwarf
-I get to keep the entire caravan
-Awww yeah

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25134 on: August 26, 2012, 03:15:20 pm »

A goblin siege the size of their last ambush just attacked. Except that a flock of wren men spawned on top of them. The goblins made mincemeat of the furries...but they did it in the half of my embark that's a reanimating biome. Now they're sitting there killing the zombies as they rise, getting injured, and just generally not attacking my fort at all. Which is pissing me off, because I need them for my Archer Training Zombie Pit--which I built too close to the butcher's, which causes cancel spam if I dump animals in. Frustrating.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25135 on: August 26, 2012, 04:44:18 pm »

RabbitHut, the Creepy Murky Shelter
First Previous Next

Journal of Kotonoa, 28th Hematite, yr.451
Things have been steady lately. Hikari built a Smelter when I was sleeping, and I had a good thought about it my dreams. We have a small farm plot going, and we're slowly building an outside pasture. Of course, the craziness still happens, so we still stay alert. The weirdest thing happened when Yume tried to move the cats downstairs. One of 'em bolted towards the surface area like lightning. Somebody forgot to shut the front door !

Spoiler: Unpastured Cat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Danger Zone (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:47:38 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Darkgamma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25136 on: August 26, 2012, 05:36:55 pm »

I have too much candy and it's cluttering up my stockpiles. It's like ~750 unused wafers, after forging full cotton candy suits and gear for a military of ~50 speardwarves, including armour, the spears, bags, quivers, cloaks, hoods, gloves and socks.
I'm just melting them into coins now. My framerate dropped to ~20.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 05:39:45 pm by Darkgamma »
if it's a blob made of steel, don't fight it. it may not heal, but it probably doesn't need to.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25137 on: August 26, 2012, 08:12:19 pm »

My island fortress, Islanddances, just had its first birth!  Only five years in, too.  We're also currently drowning in fish, but all my seeds have disappeared.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Khanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25138 on: August 26, 2012, 09:40:52 pm »

My fortress exists currently as a hill camp (only one z-level deep), with an entry way to the mega fortress i am digging out below. We are roughly 115 strong, and had a surplus of metal bars, especially gold. Things have been progressing smoothly. We had two vampires migrate, who were promptly sealed into the walls to be used another time, and one ambush of ranged goblins which was painful as we have no real doctors.

Then the dragon showed up. Having spent long amounts of time planning the megafortress, i was really not happy with this occurrence. My dwarves are not well armored (none) and i expected this to be the end of my fortress. Then the elves came to trade. Interesting...

As the dragon neared the entrance to my fortress, where the trade depot is also, i pulled in all my civilians and walled up all but one entrance. I set my military into a ready room (~4 squads of 6-10), preparing to charge our last charge to defend the fort. I got to see my first roasting, and it was an elven roasting which was all the better. Then it suddenly stopped. I saw an elf limping away, apparently unhappy that his friends just got fried and not wanting to trade anymore. I couldnt find the dragon though. I looked around, even checking on stonesense since i thought it would be easier to see. Nothing.

I looked at units, and it was still there, but now his type was "Caged Visitor" or something like that. Sweet! Somehow my front door cages had caught him. I checked the combat logs and noticed him vomitting while roasting elf donkeys, but i dont know how he became stunned.

This fort just got WAY cooler. My wife wasn't as impressed when i spun my chair around and forced her to give me a high-five.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25139 on: August 26, 2012, 09:47:40 pm »

Khanis: Dragons aren't trapavoid. Congratulations. I hope you have a good tamer.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1674 1675 [1676] 1677 1678 ... 3838