Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110285 times)

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1935 on: April 01, 2010, 11:56:05 pm »

Watching as a yeti storms through my fort, slaughtering dwarfs left and right, trying desperately to figure out how the hell the new military system works.
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: April 02, 2010, 10:34:37 am »

Trying to figure out what to do with the twenty something crundles I've captured. Also, trying to figure out what to do with some of the new materials. Horse hair. What am I supposed to do with horse hair?
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: April 02, 2010, 11:47:30 am »

Whatever Crundles are, build a giant arena in the new underground :)
Don't know about the horsehair... maybe burn it to make people sick?

Anyway... Only one dead so far in my 1year fort. Melancholy struck the talented cook as his very first and only masterwork meal rotted or was eaten by something. The second one will be a moody farmer who demands shells. Didn't see no turtles on the embark list and nobody eats cave lobster.
Otherwise, everything's fine. Calm area, lovely cave full of GCS 30z below and dwarves who seem to be a bit more intelligent - improbable as it may seem. They're actually finishing tasks and don't decide to go for a drink, only seconds before finishing their work. Also there are now 6 miners because they don't die as fast as new ones come in. There's gotta be a solution... now where's that magma?
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: April 02, 2010, 01:05:24 pm »

Goddamn trolls walk in the underground river, passing mah walls. And channeling river just makes new slopes. Gah.

On the bright side, i just tried to build right on the edge, and it worked. Now we can wall off whole map, w/out leaving that annoying 1-tile wide space

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: April 02, 2010, 01:09:42 pm »

And channeling river just makes new slopes.

According to Foot, this is supposed to happen. Toady and Threetoe thought chanelling was too broken, so they did thid.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: April 02, 2010, 01:14:17 pm »

Just survived a tantrum spiral reasonably well.  A bad combination of new immigrants after exporting lots of lovely gems, and the consequences of not getting to grips with the new farming meant that everyone starved.

Luckily a caravan arrived packed with meat and booze.  Getting the military together allowed me to kill the four dwarves who went berzerk, and the rest went melancholy.  Lost a total of about 25 of 55 to the spiral, but it has managed to get back to some sense of normaility now.  Only lost one important dwarf - the expedition leader.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: April 02, 2010, 01:31:34 pm »

I'm not sure if my fort is going to be boring or not.  I'm on an island that has mountains on the northern side and a large forest with an Elven civilization located in it.  I'd say about 5 or 6 retreats total.  Them and the dwarves I left from are the only people who can reach me.  My fort is actually centered on the border between the mountains and the forest where a brook is.  I can't remember if there was an aquifer, but I seem to have a lot of underground water.  I'm just not sure if it's the way aquifers used to work or not because I never dealt with them before.  I plan on eventually going to war with the elves.

The interesting thing is that my place is insanely valuable.  I had a population of 31 before the first merchants made it here.  I don't know if that's because they changed how immigration works or if it's because my architectural and imported goods values add up to more than 300,000.  I do know that about 50 z-levels down, there's a masterwork adamantine longsword.  It showed up when I went to look at my weapon stocks to see if the axe I'd asked for had been made or not.  Which reminds me.  The ground under my fortress is practically made of magnetite, limonite veins(that may run through the magnetite), lignite, and bituminous coal.  And gems.  So many gems.   Right now I'm ignoring the stuff in the bedroom walls because I just don't need it.

I'm working on ensuring I have enough beds and bedrooms for everybody right now and trying to get my farms up and running(I think I've planted like 2 strawberries) before I run out of booze.  Fishing is giving me a decent amount of food.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: April 02, 2010, 02:39:39 pm »

The aforementioned moody cook who wanted shells went mad. Berserk, to be precise... got a farmer who happened to be near and injured some militia who tried to help. Good for me, as I saw 2 things:
1. Militia will arrive fast if you give a  direct kill order. In 40d, at least half would be drinking or sleeping. Now, everybody instantly aborted whatever they were doing and rushed to the target, beating the poor guy to death with wooden training axes... wow ;D
2. I got a chance to put my hospital to use. One axedwarf had a red/yellow arm and leg and some internal wounds, yet he's almost fine again after a few months. Another only had a few scratches and is training again already. Probably because my dabbling surturer found no thread and therefore couldn't do any more damage to the patients...

In other news: Ordered some exploratory mining downwards. There's a whole lot of underground now :o
One cave with trees and GCS webs (didn't find the GCS yet, luckily) and assorted underground baddies at -30z. Another similar one at about -50z. I will explore them, once my militia has some proper armor, weapons and training.
At -110z, there's an underground lake of epic proportions. My Miner had to dig a staircase inside a rock pillar, because I saw no way around that much water - only a few feet of rock between him and a whole ocean.
Further down at about -150z, a similar cave - only difference: It's filled with a magma as far as the eye can see and there are veins of pure adamantine all over the walls. I'll have to see, if anything dangerous lives down there, otherwise houses with balconies of adamantine overlooking an endless sea of magma sounds sound rather dwarfy to me.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Letrange

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: April 02, 2010, 05:30:36 pm »

1st Granite, 1052.  Outpost Menglular, "Lashedroots".  Ducim Mistemoslan, expedition leader reporting.

The first year of this outpost has come and gone.  This new "irrigate the ground" technology is proving to be tricky to use.  My dwarf bucket brigade is however up to the task.  The first year saw it's usual progression.  Locate a likely spot, mine out the future farms first.  Concentrate on the crops that don't need special processing first.  Get the mason's and carpenter's workshops up along with the still and the kitchen.  Then expand underground storage and communal areas, followed by personal living space.  I had to appoint myself as Broker for the expedition since a small caravan came early.

There were two, well I can't really call them "waves" of immigrants during the year.  A total of 6 dwarfs joined our cause this past year.  One of them a child, although Stukos Adilral came of age last year.  She is now 12 years old and ready to help the fortress.  I am considering making her cook in order to relieve the good Rimtar Kubukzasit of the need to quit his beloved fields in order to brew up all the whine and rum.  With the increase of crops planned for the next year I need him in his fields, not at the still.

My miner Rigoth Lelumalath is now legendary for his pickwork.  This is hardly surprising due to the amount of excavation I have been having him do.  His efforts to get us a habitable fortress cannot be sufficiently lauded.  And although my mason Monom Kilrudator is kept busy with doors and making blocks for use in the fortification of our entrance, he has not yet finished the first line of defenses yet.  His highest priority in the new year will be to get the initial course of walls laid for the outer defenses. 

Dastot Ilralthob is keeping us in logs - he keeps muttering about elves and sharpening his axe.  Must remember to keep him far from the trade depot should elves arrive.  Tun Bakustoslan, as well as making our beds is turning out to be very good at making barrels.  This is good as I'm still working on getting enough reserves in place for a serious invasion of immigrants.

The rest of the new arrivals have been cross-training outside their specialty as I get the cloth industry up and running.  I need this to expand my crops since bagging dyes and wheat is necessary.  The quern, farmer's workshop, loom, clothier and dyers are in place and gearing up for production.  The metal industry will need to wait as I have not yet run into any great supply of iron ores.  Silver, copper and zinc however have been found to exist.  There also seems to be plenty of coal.  I have also not yet  opened up my main mining shaft yet.  I will be putting this along with independent defenses outside my main fortress (although nearby).  I also need to get the water works and hospital up and running.  Although we are so few this has not presented an immediate problem.

I look forward to finishing off the initial defenses of the fort proper over the next year as my for absorbs new migrants.  I also look forward to having enough dwarfs to appoint a sheriff and some constables to provide the active part of our defenses.

We shall see how the next year goes.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: April 02, 2010, 05:42:40 pm »

Dealing with a troll who's spent half a season beating the hell out of one of my starting seven. who magically has not died. Killed a cave crocodile, trying desperately not to have my first DF2010 Fort Succumb to Fun.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: April 02, 2010, 05:49:04 pm »

just recovered from what I had thought was a hunger strike. A bunch of dwarves were hungry, but refused to eat. as it turns out, I had accidentally channeled out their accessway to the the food at some point. I built a bridge, and like a mighty wave they all rushed off to the food stockpile conveniently located on top of the aboveground hospital.

Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: April 02, 2010, 06:25:38 pm »

I my new DF2010 fort, I have just started my first military squad. Although I'm trying to train them on wrestling first, the moment they decided to activate, one became a Marksdwarf, another a Macedwarf(though I KNOW I have no maces). This could be due to skills I didn't notice. Otherwise, training is off to a good start, though hunting might be giving me a problem, and sending my squad to kill a deer didn't work out they way I wanted to...

Also had an elf caravan come by. Unfortunately, they decided to haggle too hard, and somehow convinced themselves that I had offended them(no, I didn't sell them wood). So I just siezed everything anyway. ;D Lots of good stuff, including a pair of deer(haven't checked if they'll breed).

And channeling river just makes new slopes.

According to Foot, this is supposed to happen. Toady and Threetoe thought chanelling was too broken, so they did thid.
It's worth noting that channeling does NOT create a ramp if there's no wall underneath the channeled floor.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: April 02, 2010, 06:35:19 pm »

The residents of the nearby magma pipe popped up to watch me move into the new fort, but haven't done much else.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

AzureShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: April 02, 2010, 06:41:19 pm »

I'm waiting for a caravan to come in hopes that it will be carrying some form of fuel. I can't find any magma and have nothing to make stuff into fuel with at the moment, so... Yeah. It kinda sucks that you need fuel to make fuel.

Also, my militia commander is working on figuring out how to train troops. Good stuff, I suppose.
These are the kinds of bugs that make DF the game it is.  Magma vanishing?  Oops, it's all being sucked down by hell.
This is how everything works. This, right here, is DF.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: April 02, 2010, 07:18:11 pm »

No wood? If you hit the Caverns you have wood, and wood can be made as so:
Wood+Wood Furnace=Charcoal
Charcoal=fuel.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 3842